thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• gracejoy
    gracejoy Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2016

Thank you, Nancy for your warm welcome.

I read Psalm 121 everyday. It gives me lots of encouragement and inner peace. It starts like this.

"I lift my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord The Maker of the Heaven and Earth."

Therefore I know that He is in full control of our lives. I rest in that thought.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited December 2016

Teka & Gracejoy ~*~ WELCOME!

Nancy your orchids are FABULOUS! You really captured their essence. I pray you feel better soon and that it's just fatigue from travel & busyness.

One year ago today my battle with cancer began as I had my surgery. What a crazy year it's been - but by God's grace I'm still here! When I learned my surgery was scheduled I shared this with my friends on facebook ~

"Well my friends, I will be away from here for a while. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and am scheduled for surgery in Midland - blizzard permitting - on Tuesday. I want to share a story with you -

When I was 12 we vacationed in FL. My dad & I waded out into the ocean and bobbed up and down with the swells on our tippy toes. All of a sudden I looked down and the water had gone from my neck to my knees! Then I turned around and saw a HUGE wall of a wave headed for us. The water was sucking me back at my knees and I couldn't outrun it. I frantically gulped a big breath of air as the wave wall crashed over us sending me tumbling violently over the ocean floor. Then a strong hand grabbed my ankle and held fast as the wave finished its crash. My father saved my life that day, as I would have surely been swept out to sea on that current.
    Right now I am looking back to see that wave about to crash again. But this time I know my Father has me safe in His hands. I have His peace which passes all understanding, guarding my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.
    Please pray for; 1 - peace for my loved ones, 2 - that I may be strong for them and be a good witness to others no matter what, & 3 - that my Lord would be glorified whatever may come. I love you all."

My Father has been faithful and merciful and He is there for you too....always.

'Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.' - Isaiah 41:10 (NLT)

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,874
    edited December 2016

Thanks Teka. I hope you had a good Christmas. Sounds like you had some icy weather up in your part of the country. We actually didn't have a white Christmas at my mom's and I think we were all sure it was going to happen this year. You never know what the weather is going to do.

Lynn, good to hear from you . I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I know you have been busy seeing family and having family in.

Gracejoy, I think that is a great scripture to hang on to. When I was going through my initial journey in bc I found an online Bible and I listened to the audio of the 23rd Psalm for many days. It gave me comfort knowing that the Lord was right there with me providing every thing I needed no matter how scary things seemed. I love your user name by the way.

Jean, I pray that Alexia will find God on her journey and that He will guide her and provide for her in all ways.

Ade, thank you. Tonight as I had to make a quick errand before going off to a birthday celebration tonight there was a gorgeous big ball of fire in the sky and I realized it was the sun setting. It had been cloudy all afternoon. It is funny how that happens. I wish I a chance to get a pic of that but it quickly disappears into the trees. Your story of how God can help us in dire circumstances is amazing. I am convinced He does these things for us all the time and sometimes we don't have the eyes to see. I have found that my cancer has sharpened my eyesight if you know what I mean and I see these things more clearly now. I love Is. 41:10. We have quoted that scripture on quite a few occasions in our banners. That verse holds special meaning to me as this group of ladies prayed for me from another church that I didn't even know and they made me a little potholder with that scripture attached and said they were praying for me. I have that hanging on my refrigerator and that verse still comforts me when I am going through tough times.

God has given me the passion for photography while I was going through treatment. I am in awe of this new and exciting second chapter of my life and I know He does things like that for each one of us.

G, I hope you and your family had an awesome Christmas.

I hope you all have a restful night.

Love

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited December 2016

Ladies, the most amazing thing about my dear granddaughter's return is how she was talking a lot about God being with her, wanting to go to church, getting pastoral prayer and praying with me on our knees at night for her daughter! Amazing grace. She is in custody very cold and uncomfortable in jail. I am praying for her to find some Christian fellowship there. Thank you for all your prayers.

I prayed for all of you to be drawn very close and feel Jesus loving presence today. Love, Jean

• ade
    edited December 2016

Jean that is so awesome and hopeful! Praying this is the beginning of her new life in Christ and that her daughter will follow soon! All things are possible with God!

But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

- Isaiah 40:31 (NLT)

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited December 2016

My MRI was cancelled due to a broken coil of some sort. I have it tomorrow instead. I'm hoping to start the new year off with good news. My knee/leg is killing me today. I'm praying the pain eases up soon.

I hope you all have a great new year. Hard as it can be sometimes, there is beauty and hope to be found for all of us.

Blessings

• gracejoy
    gracejoy Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2016

Amen Joanne. Well said. You always have beautiful words to post which touches my heart and make me think. God bless you all in the new year with good health and happiness.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2017

Good evening dear ladies.

I have been fighting off a stomach bug the last couple of days. I think I feel much better today. I hope that we can each look towards 2017 with hope of living each day as a gift and living in the moment, not fearing the future or regretting the past.

I hope you all have a safe and happy celebration.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited January 2017

May the Lord bless and keep you in 2017.

So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

- Hebrews 4:16 (NLT)

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2017

Praying for all our needs in Jesus be met this coming year. My word for 2017..."Trust Me!" My granddaughter gets sentenced on Tuesday. Prayers appreciated. Love, Jean

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2017

Happy New Year, sisters!

Praying that in each day of 2017 we will receive encouragement from our friends and family and strength from our Lord. He has done a work in us, since we are here in 2017 to share testimonies of His healing and proclaim miracles in our lives and those of our loved ones.

My recovery continues to go well; I walk around the house unaided, although I always use my cane when away. I have a checkup with my surgeon this Friday. I have no pain or discomfort, just get tired easily. My PT reevaluation is coming up on the 11th

Please say a prayer for my son in law Mark. He learned last week that he has testicular cancer, and will have surgery Tuesday 1/3. He is in his early 40's and is a strong Christian, as is my stepdaughter. They are asking us to pray that the cancer has not spread; it was found in early stages.

Have a blessed week...may God comfort you, guide you, and give you peace.

Ellen

• Mini1
    edited January 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR my sisters. Here's to a happy and healthy 2017!

BLESSINGS

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2017

Hubby, brother in law and I all have colds. We're all achy snufalufaguses! I am scheduled to get my port out on Thursday. I've mixed feelings about it but after 2 years of clear mamo's it's time. I'm grateful for my warm house and that my granddaughter is supposed to call me today for the first time. They get phone privileges which is nice. She is finally in with 3 other women and not so isolated. God is good. Love, Jean

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited January 2017

May the Lord bless and keep each of you in 2017.

Ellen, prayers for your SIL and his wife.

Jean, Jo continuous ptayers for your families.

Continuous prayers for our stage 4 sisters.

Love across the miles,

Angie

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2017

Prayers for all needs. I am grateful for the opportunity to attend the chronic disease support group at church today. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2017

Hello dear sisters,

Ellen, I am praying that Mark's surgery goes well today and that the cancer is contained. Praying for continued healing and good progress in your hip surgery recovery.

My mom has fallen twice this past week. We are seeing her doctor this afternoon. We are entering into the territory that I have dreaded. I am not sure what the doctor will say so I would appreciate prayers for peace and wisdom in moving forward.

Praying for your needs.

Love

Nancy

• ARCats
    ARCats Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2017

I'm praying for all our needs. It's never a dull moment in life ladies as I'm having some new health issues, please keep me in your prayers.

God is faithful.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited January 2017

Hi everyone!

Praying for Mark as they determine treatment for his testicular cancer.

Praying for all those who have the bugs going around, there is a humdinger of a GI one that patients have had that seems pretty relentless. We also just got our first flu in someone at the nursing home where I round.

Nancy hope you are better.

Jean, so sweet to hear of your granddaughter's faith.

Been feeling kinda blue lately and not sure why. Maybe since the doctorate is winding down and my study didn't actually improve falls in the elderly, but this morning I read this from Oswald Chambers which helped:

"The only possibility of understanding the teaching of Jesus is by the light of the Spirit of God on the inside. If we have never had the experience of taking out commonplace religious shoes off our commonplace religious feet and getting rid of all the undue familiarity with which we approach God, it is questionable whether we have ever stood in His presence. " I actually think that woke me up in that I have been going through the rituals of my faith lately, just kinda "phoning it in" and what I desperately need is to get closer to Him and lean on Him more.... I don't know if any of you have ever experienced that where you just didn't realize you got away from God somehow but how wonderful to know He never left us we just have to run towards Him and stop all the layers of things that are between. That all prob sounds wacky but I think you all get what I mean. :) Hugs to all.

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2017

Good evening, sisters;

I wanted to share 2 pieces of good news...Mark (SIL) had successful surgery today and there is no evidence that the cancer had spread. He is resting at home...Daughter told my husband that the surgeon prayed with Mark before he went into surgery and it was at that point she realized how God had worked everything out so this could be taken care of quickly. Though they can't see it now, we know God will use this health concern to grow them spiritually

My other good news is that Pam, the Bible Study leader who had a lumpectomy last week, is doing well; in fact the surgery was less extensive than they thought. Praise to God for His healing power and mercy!

Praying for all of you as you deal with health issues, family and financial problems, and the stresses of life as you also deal with BC.

Love, Ellen

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2017

Ellen, so glad to hear your good news about Mark and glad to hear Pam's surgery turned out to be less extensive than they thought.

Cindy, I get it and tonight I am about to go out to the pasture and shoot myself. As those of you who know me well I am kidding and this is my sick sense of humor when I am at the end of my rope. I just spent well over a half hour very late tonight on the phone trying to get something resolved on my mom's credit card bill. She was doubled billed and I was pretty sure that was the problem but because of the privacy laws I could not get any answers and I was about to throw the phone across the room. The guy on the other end was doing his best to help me. Finally we got my mom on the phone and pretty much told her what to say so this guy could say yes, I believe this is a double charge. How have we come to this craziness all in the name of privacy is beyond me. So it is almost 11 pm and I just got my second load of laundry in. It will be a late night.

Please pray for my mom. She has lost a lot of weight without trying and will be having a test to see if there is any internal bleeding. She has been ordered by her pcp to use a walker now but she is resistant. She will be trying some new pain meds to see if this will help and to see if she can tolerate them.

Yes, our faith is not based on our feelings thank goodness. My feelings and emotions are all over the place today but I know that God will get me and my family through this tough time with my mom.

My GI tract is still in a mess and i am wondering if I got the bug that has been talked about when I first got to my moms.

I pray that God will meet all our needs and that we can draw close to Him and learn through these difficult times.

Have a good night dear sisters. Yes, because He lives we can face tomorrow.

Love

Nancy

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited January 2017

Nancy, so sorry you are sick as you deal with all of this. I guess some older folks get really stubborn about walkers. I still use mine when I have to, and I'm only in my 50s. If I fall one more time with all my bone mets and compression fractures, I could end up paralyzed. Try to make your mom understand how serious this is.

Enjoy, yes, I understand how we sometimes drift away from God. You can't do that when you have Stage 4, however. Every minute of every hour you have to walk with the Lord. You depend on Him for pain relief...physically, emotionally and spiritually. There is so much anxiety and uncertainty with Stage 4. We can't do it by ourselves.

Prayers for relief to you all.

Lita

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2017

Hello dear ladies,

The very cold weather has returned but the sun is shining and we haven't see that for a few days so I am very grateful to see that.

Lita, my mom has dementia so reasoning with her is unfortunately an effort in futility. I only have another week here with her so I have to get her used to using a walker. Luckily we already had one that my Dad used before he died several years ago. I can imagine the fear of falling for you is great and I can't imagine what that is like but I do know that clinging to to the Lord because He is the only one who can get us through the fiery trials on this earth is crucial and becomes more real as our situations become more dire.

Yesterday marked the seventh year of my nephew dying at 36 years old so it is always a tough time for my sister especially. Every year she puts in a picture of him in the paper as a memorial.

Jean, praying that Alexia will be able to get her life back on track and that God can do a mighty work in her. I am so glad she is safe and has returned.

I pray that each of us no matter what we are dealing with can have hope that the Lord understands our situation, has compassion on us and is guiding and directing our steps as we trust in Him to do His intended work in perfecting our faith and molding us into the women of God that He has intended.

Love,

Nancy

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited January 2017

Nancy, sorry to hear your mom's difficulties and I can only imagine how stressful it must be for you to leave her behind under those circumstances. Praying she will be safe and God give you strength.

Aurora

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2017

Well today I am grateful that my port removal was posponed till a week from Friday. I still have a lot of congestion and they felt it was prudent to wait a week. With this head cold I think I wouldn't mind if they just removed my head and left it in the freezer for the week. They could reattach it and remove my port at the same time. Teehee, just a little gallows humor. Love, Jean

• Mini1
    edited January 2017

I'm still waiting for the results of my MRI. I have to admit I'm scared. Trying not to be, but the thought of a bone mets...

My surgery for my eye is early Friday morning. It is at U of M which is about an hour from my home, so we are praying the worst of this weather is over by then.

Blessings

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited January 2017

Oh Mini, I am sorry you are going through all the waiting and I am praying for good results.

Lita, I am praying for you as you deal with stage 4. Obviously no one knows anyone's walk unless they are going through it.

Aurora, are you doing ok?

Joanne thanks for understanding, I am so much better today! While being a Christian does not assure that we will be perfect it is nice to know He carries us through everything even things not related to cancer.

Jean, glad they are putting the port removal off! Get better!

Nancy, oh my what a crazy time with your credit card episode. Crazy but glad things got straight.

Waving hi to everyone else and please know I am praying for you. Has anyone heard from Deb (foots).

Cindy

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited January 2017

Hi everybody! Enjoy thanks for asking in feeling relatively well but I'm worried the cancer might grow since I haven't ha treatment in a month. Please pray for that and for ni to be able to see the oncologist soon

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited January 2017

My dear sisters in Christ....

I just found out my first cousin was whacked OVER the head while coming out of her Hospice Care patient's house and horrifically RAPED!!! I am SO bleeping angry!!! My aunt just contacted me....she wanted to WAIT to see how it would all turn out...and it turns out my cousin now has "traumatic brain injury" and may never be able to return to hospice care working. My cousin LOVED her job!! And now she won't be able to do it because of several seizures per day. (Cousin was unconscious outside for several hrs and would have FROZE to death if the next SHIFT worker had not have found her.)

Really weird...haven't reached out to my aunt for a while, but got the msg from God to try and reach out. And now THIS!

Please pray for my aunt and my cousin. I am so distraught…but not as distraught as my aunt!!!

And I thought my life couldn't get any worse.....

Lita

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2017

Oh Lita, how horrible. I can imagine the depth of anger you must feel. I pray first that God would give you a calm and peace so you can minister to them. Also for healing for your dear cousin. And help for her mother. Love, Jean

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2017

Prayers for the victims and families of the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting. Love, Jean