Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2012

Congrats Kindergarten.  Another gift from God, little Erin.  May the Lord's arms constantly surround her as she is raised to know Him.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2012

Thank you, Patoo!!!  I have been praying that I would be blessed with grandchildren. They are truly gifts from God!!!

• 3bells
    3bells Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2012

If you happen to check in, Laura, I'm thinking about you. We are all failures. If I hadn't been a failure I would have breezed through life and not fallen on my face before the Lord to take my life and somehow change me. We wouldn't need Him if we didn't fail and fail often.

If you don't feel faith, it's OK. God is faithful and will carry you through no matter how impossible that sometimes seems. He promises to keep polishing us up and teaching up and his promises don't depend on whether you are full of doubt, discouragement or even dispair. They still stand because he loves you and Jesus carried every bit of our lack of faith as part of the huge mountain of sin he bore on the cross. We are wrapped in his righteousness. When we see him, we will be like him, no matter how impossible that seems now. Our gratitude,not guilt brings delight to his heart. But he still loves you when you hold onto the guilt.

I pray that you are adjusting and finding that the time will pass and the pain will heal.

I am grateful that you are keeping me in prayer also, and ask it of anyone who reads this. I'm about six weeks past surgery and suddenly had a major meltdown this evening. It was as though I saw my missing breast, the scar, the bruises on the other side where the port was removed, and realized that there is a loss to grieve, more than I'd expected. I feel mutilated. I feel when I look back that it was a visit to hell and wonder that it didn't seem as devestating while I was going through it all.

In a way that's good. It is a loss of a part of myself; body, but not soul. And if losses aren't grieved they can stay buried and cause trouble later. Suddenly it's as though I'm really seeing it for the first time and it is unbelieveably real! I can't imagine what I would do if the Lord wasn't there to listen to my cries for help.I needed to break down and grieve and even though there is a sense of loss and grief still, it has eased a lot.

We will make it through this life and, Oh, the Joy that will come when we enter eternity and experience the beauty and glory of the Lord! He will be a million times more wonderful than anything we can imagine seeing or having in this life. He holds us up through the times of melt down and tears and understands. Nothing we experience is near the agony he had in the garden. And he forgives and waits patiently during those times when it seems we can't pray or read his Word. Gently he calls us back.

I'm praying for you, that whatever you are experiencing now, he is giving you peace. That would be wonderful. Small tastes of peace now and an explosion of joy and peace forever.

Peggy

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Dear Peggy, You wrote such a beautiful post, You are such a faithful servant. I am lifting you up in prayer for healing from your surgery. I am so sorry for your pain and loss. I remember those challenging days after surgery.  Each day does get better.Our Lord feels our loss and pain and is always there to get us through these challenging times. I always wonder how those without faith, get through difficult and challenging times. God bless you and thank you again for your wonderful and caring post! Kathy 

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited January 2012

Yes Peggy it was a beautiful post - so honest and revealing. I dare say we all here have experienced the feeling of mutilation and grief. I still grieve the loss of my sense of security, my breasts, sense of control. I have also come to learn that control and security rest with the Lord and not with me. I really struggled with that hard lesson. I still struggle with it. Anger was the emotion that really surprised me. I never expected to feel so angry. The Lord is still helping me to deal with all of these emotions that the rest of the world thinks we should be over by now. We each grieve on our own timetable and God works through each of us in His way. Know that you are not alone. You have a loving sisterhood here for support and prayer. You also have a Savior who loves you dearly and will ever leave or forsake you. Cling to Him and remember the cross whenever you get frightened or feel alone. He desires to reveal Himself to you. I am praying for you even now.

Hugs to all,

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Wow, Rocket, you express yourself beautifully as well!!!! It feels wonderful to be a part this wonderful sisterhood in Christ's name. Have a very blessed evening, everyone!!!!! Kathy

• 3bells
    edited January 2012

Thank you, Rocket. You often are there to pray and it's so appreciated. And Kathy I am grateful for your prayers - and any who didn't post.

At age seventy one, and thirty five years with the Lord, I have struggled often with grief, loss, pain, anger. And God has brought good out of it all. This time I was surprised. I knew I would likely have nerve pain for a few months because I did after my lumpectomy, and that's been depressing, but I didn't realize it would matter so much to lose a breast. Last night I couldn't sleep for awhile. It seemed I was on a surgery table having a mastectomy: a dream while awake.

I have been sure that this isn't unusual. It's almost like a touch of post traumatic stress. It breaks out suddenly. Tears and crying to God get me through until it's gone. I've wondered if I'm angry. I used to get so angry at God and that was how I learned so well that he was faithful. I'm not afraid to be angry at him because I know he still loves me and stays with me. I know the most dangerous thing would be to turn away from him if angry, but when he has his hook in your heart it's very hard to turn away so either a person won't face their anger, or they "wrestle" with God. I think there might be some flashes of anger in these melt downs, but so subtle compared to when I was younger.

Anyhow, he will carry me through and teach me. Your prayers mean so much.

Thank you!

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited January 2012
    I have been back to church the last two Sundays, after almost 7 months of not attending. It is awesome to be back in fellowship, worshipping and hearing God's word with other believers. I have also returned here at home to daily devotions, (no excuse for letting that go in the first place, :O(  but I feel the joy of the Lord penetrating deep into my soul. I always smile, and am a cheery personality, but neglecting my personal walk with the Lord, was creating a sadness deep inside that I felt every day. Praise the Lord , He never leaves or forsakes us. Smile
  • Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Dear 3 bells, Your post was just wonderful as well, you are such a faithful servant and our Lord is such a respector of Faith and Prayer. Isn't it wonderful that He never leaves us. I remember Job yelling and screaming at God, but Our Lord  loves communication in any shape, way or form. Oh, Gosh I am now  saying things my mother used to say, he,he,he!!!!!! Dear ZUMBAGIRL, I remember when I was going through Chemo, I missed my Sundays at church, my white blood cell count would go way down, but I would watch services on TV. It was definitely not the same, I was so happy when I finished Chemo. I wish you lived closer, I would love to take your zumba class. Blessings, Kathy

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited January 2012
    Kathy, I wish you were closer as well. I would love to have you in my class,. If you are ever coming to Coos Bay, Oregon, message me on here. Wink blessings to you , Paula
  • 3bells
    edited January 2012

zumbagirl, I'm so happy for you . As soon as this nerve pain lets up enough to allow me to wear clothing (I can't imagine wearing a bra and prothesis right now) the first thing I want to do is start looking for a church.

Rejoicing with you, Peggy

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Dear Zumbagirl, Wouldn't that be fun. We would love to visit Oregon. Have a very blessed day!!!! Kathy

• patoo
    edited January 2012

Blessings to you all.  Your posts are so very inspiring.  It is truly wonderful to be among my sisters-in-Christ.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited January 2012

I read along in this thread from time to time but I don't know if I've ever posted here before. I just felt I ought to tell you ladies that you have blessed me.  It's been an off-kilter, tearful week for me, but your words have helped me catch my breath tonight.  Thank you all.

It's good to be in Christ's hands, and good to find you there, too. 

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2012

Lulubee ... I love your "tag " line - Faslodex+Xgeva & prayer.

While I still struggle to get my life on the straight and narrow, I get closer everyday.  I pray you all are given the choicest blessings of the Lord.  Amen.

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Dear Patoo, Lulubee and Kathleen, It is such a blessing and an honor for me to be able to talk with you all on this thread. There is nothing than being Sisters in Christ and Sisters in Breast Cancer. Faith and Prayer will get us through every challenge we face. God bless you all, Kathy

• Rocket
    edited January 2012

Hi Sisters,

I am really struggling with nerve pain after my foot surgery. I had a lot of nerve pain after my bi-lateral mastectomy. I felt like tha back of my arm had been burned with acid and even a light breeze would cause intense pain. Now I am having the same problem with my foot. I've been taking Gabapentin ever since my mastectomy, and it has helped, but I am just getting worn down with the pain. Please pray for me that the nerves would heal quickly. At this rate I can't even imagine putting a sock on my foot. It's been a month since I had surgery.

I so appreciate all of you. I am dearly grateful for our Savior who knows and bears each burden. Thanks for listening.

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Dear Rocket, I am so sorry for your pain. I am lifting you up in prayer right now!!!! I hope you feel relief soon. Blessings, Kathy

• Rocket
    edited January 2012

Thank you Kathy. I greatly appreciate it.

• patoo
    edited January 2012

Lord, our Father.  Lifting Rocket up into your healing embrace as she recovers from her surgery.  Please grant her relief from the nerve pain she has been experiencing.  Pour out your blessings in a mighty way upon her for healing.  In his precious name, Amen.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2012

Rocket ... I, too, will pray for you.  Pain does wear you down like nothing else can.  Stay strong.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Good morning, everyone!!! Hope your weekend was filled with many blessings. We moved to CA to be near our sons and we were so worried about finding a new church. We have been visiting  a church for the last few months and we just love the minister, his staff and the congregation. We are going back this week to close on our home in IN and to say our final good-byes to our church family there and friends. If you could all please lift us up in prayer for an easy transition in moving and for a safe flight. Thank you so much and you all will be in my prayers as well!!!!! God bless you all, Kathy

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Good morning, everyone!!! Hope your weekend was filled with many blessings. We moved to CA to be near our sons and we were so worried about finding a new church. We have been visiting  a church for the last few months and we just love the minister, his staff and the congregation. We are going back this week to close on our home in IN and to say our final good-byes to our church family there and friends. If you could all please lift us up in prayer for an easy transition in moving and for a safe flight. Thank you so much and you all will be in my prayers as well!!!!! God bless you all, Kathy

• 3bells
    edited January 2012

Rocket, I'm so sorry about the nerve pain. Sometimes I think it's the worst and there is so little they can do. And I know what you mean about getting worn down. I will start asking God, our Healer, to heal yours every time I pray for mine to heal.

Please keep us updated.

Peggy

• Rocket
    edited January 2012

Good Morning Ladies,

Thank you all for the prayers. I had a major meltdown last night. I had worked all morning and then in the afternoon had to take my Mom to the doctor. I was in so kuch pain after having my goot down for so long. My toe hurt so badly that I was ready to have it cut off! Instead I put some Capsacin on it hoping for relief. I pray that it feels better today. I will try to keep it elevated more today as I'm off from work. Thank you all so much for praying.

Kathy, praying for safe travel and smooth transition. I moved 13 times in 26 years, so know how stressful it can be. May God light your path and protect you.

• Kindergarten
    edited January 2012

Thank you Rocket for your prayers, and please know you will be lifted up in prayer daily!!!! I am so sorry that you are going through this!!!  I am asking our Lord right now for relief of pain and healing for you. Blessings, and keep us posted. Kathy

• Rocket
    edited February 2012

Still in a lot of pain. My foot is quite swollen still and I am also struggling with a lot of joint pain in other areas. My onc is going to refer me to a pain clinic for the joint pain. It's so frustrating, but I also know that God uses refining fire to mold us into the image of His Son. Thank you all for your prayers!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012

Dear Rocket, do you think that the arimidex might be a contributing factor. I think there are joint pain relievers especially aimed at the side effects for arimidex and aromasin. Continued prayers are coming your way!!!! Kathy

• Rocket
    edited February 2012

I have had continued joint pain I believe due to Arimidex, but this most recent pain in my foot is a result of damage to nerves from my bunionectomy four weeks ago. My biggest question is whether or not Arimidex is causing not only joint pain but damage to my joints or if I have some other condition causing joint damage. I required surgery for Trigger Thumb caused by Arimidex. I also have an appt. to see an orthopedic doctor to see what's going on. I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel in both wrists, but I can't have invasive treatment on my right hand/arm due to lymphedema. I'm not sure what treatment option, outside of pain relievers, that leaves for me.

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012

Dear Rocket, I was not sure what type of surgery you had, but I have heard that bunion surgery can be a long recovery process. I am definitely a candidate for this surgery, I have large bunions on both feet. I admire you for going through all of this! I will pray that the orthopedic doctor will have some answers for you. In the meantime, take good care of yourself and know that Our Lord is surrounding you with His Love , and He will see you through this!!! He is using you as a role model for strength and courage and you certainly have both, God bless you and keep us posted. Kathy