Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589
    edited April 2012

Spar,

I pray you get an answer!

You should know I asked off and on for SEVEN years...it wasn't until now, in God's time, He gave me an answer.

Keep prayin :)

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited April 2012

Learnin

I think I can relate to your situation!!  I have always had the 'gift' of having the tears flow easily, whether it was music, kids performing, the National Anthem being played, on & on..... Years ago an elderly lady friend (I am now about the age she was then, and it doesn't seem nearly as old.LOL) told me, 'Vickie, what ever you do do NOT ask God to remove that ability to cry easily from you.  I did years ago and He did, Many times since then I have had times I wished I could cry."   My family and friends know this about me and love and accept it.  (sometimes the granddaughters will kinda tease me when a tender place in a tv show or movie and ask "are your crying yet, grandma"  then give me a big hug!!!

I heard that there are hormones in our tears, perhaps God figures some us need more of them than other people do.

With Christian, sisterly Love

Vickie

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited April 2012

Learnin, I too can relate to the tears. I cry a lot during the music part of worship. When we sing, "I Surrender All", I ask myself, "Do I really? Am I willing to surrender ALL to Him?" It is a process. Cancer reminded me that this world is not my home, but boy do I try to cling to it (more the people than things). The loss of our supposed security in this world causes us grief, but also reminds us of the One in whom we can have complete security. I say, let those tears flow. They are precious and sweet in the eyes of our Lord. It also shows that your are deeply immersed in worship and not distracted. God is there in your midst. Bless you!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2012
    Rocket, I certainly can relate to your feelings. Cancer brought me to my knees again and again. My faith was faltering, our Lord brought me back again as He answered so many prayers. He loves me no matter what!!!! My faith gets stronger and stronger!!!!!!I was so preoccupied with death, now I know that God will only take me when He is ready. I have finally learned it not in my timing, but HIS. But believe me I had to be hit with a sledge hammer. He,he,he!!!!!! We are only human and we keep growing and learning!!!!  When I do my deep breathing exercises, I keep repeating GOD is in CONTOL and Fear and Faith can not reside together. It helps so much!!!!! Rocket, I hope you are feeling good and that your move is going smoothly. Blessings to you!!! J0-5- Thank you for sharing those verses of those beautiful songs, hope your daughter and friend are doing O.K. Hubby and I finally found a new church, since moving here to CA. We are joining on Sunday. Can't wait. Hugs to you all the wonderful ladies here and please have a very Blessed weekend!!!
  • dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2012

Ladies - Glad I found this thread! This is my 2nd time down the cancer road and what I've come to realize is that EITHER way we win.  B/c we believe in the Lord, if we die we win b/c we get to be with Him and if we live we win b/c we get to stay with our family and friends until it is time to go home to be with Him.  There are no guarantees in this life.  We are not guaranteed tomorrow.  We only have today and have to live it to glorify Him.  

• Sissydi
    Sissydi Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2012

Jo-5, happy to pray for your daughter and friend!

• Rocket
    edited April 2012

Hey Ladies,

I am praying for each of you and your various requests. I have been writing them down so I can keep track of them.

Kathy, I will try your suggestions about reminding myself that God is in control while doing deep breathing. I'm going to be needing it I think. Next week I have a colonoscopy (my first screening). We need continued prayer for our home sale. We've had a few showings and it shows beautifully, but the buyers all have homes of their own to sell before they buy another. One couple absolutely loved our home, so my realtor is going to show their condo this weekend to see if he can get a buyer for it so that they can put an offer on our house. I think I will be doing a lot of deep breathing. :-)

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited April 2012

Just when I think if hit bottom and feel forsaken, I come here and read of your great faith and it restores mine.  God is in charge.  Thank you for reminding me.

• learnin
    learnin Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2012

Thank you gals for your loving and gentle replies to my tears in church. Yes, I am sure I am grieving. Hard to tell from depression sometimes. But good to have company on this tough road.

• kmccraw423
    edited April 2012

Learnin ... It is hard to tell the difference.  Once I went to the emergency room thinking I was having an asthma attack - turns out it was an anxiety attack!  Hang in there.

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2012

Hi, Ladies, yes, depression can hit us hard, especially after all that we all have been through. After going off the aromasin, I felt joy and peace again. I had been on it for 6 1/2 years. I wish you all a very Happy weekend. Hugs!!!!!

• Rocket
    edited April 2012

Jo and Kathy, knowing that the veil will lift gives me such hope! Thanks for sharing that.

• anumacha
    anumacha Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2012

After reading about gals with Arimidex side effects...I know I have not lost my mind. I also have Lupus that just adds to the fatigue so this past 6 months I have had new problems with my feet and lump on my wrist. It turns out I have gout, plus the Arimidex is pushing my blood pressre up. I gave up on the local clinic and went back to my internest over an hr away. I take 3 blood pressure pills, gout, elavil for nerve pain an depression, plus my supplements. I was not a good candidiate for chemo or rads, so we are doing Arimidex and my host of supplements. The lupus is in full swing this year since I have the discoid type I am covered or use sunscreen, so this year my scalp is blistering.

At least we can laugh about it...I suggested I get a buzz cut with a mohawk so I could use zinc paste every day and my silver paste to heal them. I had my long hair cut to a short layered bob and just do my hair every day. Ointments at nite and good herbal shampoo in the morning.

Arimidex was weird for me like the first 8 months I felt like I was in a fog...just out of touch with everything. The bone pain lets me know it is working but I was super active female doing construction, playing sports and working in jails....I have had my fare share of fractures, but my reconstructed leg was the worst. I have found that staying active really helps so I do commercial cleaning 5 nites a week and gave up doing accounting or marketing becvause than I have to schedule workout time. 6 hours of walking, lifting and moving is better cause I do a lot of knitting, crocheting and beading so that is my art and you cannot workout and do these at the same time!

The antidepressant helps with the pain and depression, plus adding a little motrin and pain pil at nite gets me through my days. I  could take steroids but I am afraid of what other side effects I would get plus I do not need to gain any weight if anything I need to drop at least 40 more pounds if I could find that magic weight wand!

Off to go get the 2 yr olds dress done before she grows more last check she was a 3t so I am doing a 4t for her birthday.

I just look at every day as a blessing from GOD.  I use my artsy talents to make things for cancer patients with a stipulation they cannot buy them...they are FREE. Deb says she keeps these things for when someone is really having a bad day to cheer them up and put a smile on their face.

Everyone have a Blessed day and future

Anu

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2012

Anu:  You sound like one very strong lady....prayers for you!

• kmccraw423
    edited April 2012

Anu ... you sound like WonderWoman to me!  God bless you.

• zillamom2
    zillamom2 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012

Hi. I am 39 and going through my 2nd time with bc. I have had a bmx this time and one more chemo to go. Onc gave me a lupron shot for the hormones and now I am not sleeping because of hot flashes and just experiencing menopause se. Please pray that God can get me through this instant menopause without too many se. I have two kids 8 and 12 and a full time job that is necessary. The Lord has been good to me and I feel I have come through most of this with a positive attitude. The instant menopause concerns me because I know my body will never be the same. God bless all of you.

• Kaara
    edited April 2012

zillamom2:  Welcome and all the best to you as you navigate through the challenges.  Sending you prayers and positive energy!

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2012

Dear Anumacha, You have been through so much and you are so positive. God bless you. Welcome Zillamom2!!!! Wow, your plate is full as well, you seem very strong. Our Lord will get you through this valley and these wonderful ladies here will lift you up in prayer. When we feel broken, feel God's arms around you. I am lifting you both up in prayer!!!! Hugs!!!!

• Sissydi
    edited April 2012

I am like you Jo, my hubby is gone a lot, and kids are away at college. It's a challenge sometimes!

Zillamom, I'm going through the instant menopause too. I was entering it right before diagnoses, and now I'm full blown.......hot flashes all day and night! It does make it hard to sleep! Sheets on, sheets off, sheets on, sheets off, lol!

• TonLee
    edited April 2012

Zilla,

Welcome. 

My boys are 9 and 16.  I had an Ooph and am in insta-pause too.  Hang in there!  They can prescribe something for the hot flashes...effexor maybe?  You might want to ask about it :)

Tonya

• TonLee
    edited May 2012

I am not familiar with Effexor.  My Onc said if I wanted it for flashes, he'd give it to me....but I'd rather not.

I tried Zoloft once years back....the withdrawal was horrible.  I think all anti-depressants are hard to get off of...but it sounds like some may be more than others?

I dunno. 

• Kaara
    edited May 2012

Never take anti depressants to resolve hot flashes...only if you are seriously depressed.  Once you start taking anti depressants you are what the doctors call "a patient for life".  My doctor friends have told me this and have used these very words.  

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2012

So happy to find this topic. I am one of those in the "gray area" as far as treatment goes. It"s been a month since my BMX and I have to get started! I'm having scans this week and meet with MO again on Monday. I have a low Oncotype score which is confusing things. I have drug sensitivities and am active so, of course I'd like to avoid lymphedema risks----who doesn't? God has definitely been with me, holding my hand, giving me strength and I haven't asked why me. I decide to trust Him daily. I have great support. But you women are the ones who have walked the walk and I appreciate your wisdom, support and prayers.

• Sissydi
    edited May 2012

Praying for you Jeannie......He does hold us through all of this. He has walked ahead of us, and prepared our way. That is soo comforting to me.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited May 2012

Isn't God good.  I am sitting here laughing and crying just reading everyones post.  It seems the older I get the more tears I shed and not just for bad stuff but for good things also.  Like JO's daughter - we are all  winners.  You all are in my prayers.

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2012

Hi, everyone, I enjoy reading everyone's posts. It is so comforting to come here knowing we are all Sisters in Christ and that we are all winners(thanks, Spar2). No matter where we are in our journey, it is so comforting to know that Our Lord is with us every step of this journey. All we need to do is follow Him!!!! I also lift you all up in prayer daily. Blessings to each and every one of you!!

• CyndiF
    CyndiF Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012

Hi Ladies,

I've been trying to discover all the different forums and groups here and it's a bit overwhelming.  I'm glad I found this thread.  I started a cancer support group at my church after I was diagnosed.  I often get discouraged because we don't have many people come and for our town we have a big church.  Also anyone in the community can go to the meetings you don't have to belong to the church.  There are some people in this world that others are just drawn to.  I'm not one of those people.  I'm not beating myself down - I just don't have that kind of personality - so it makes it hard to have a ministry grow.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Also I wanted to share with you a book I just finished reading it's called Glimpses:  Two stores of Hope and Healing by Jan De Chambrier.  She talks about her cancer journey and that of a friend of hers.  Neither women had breast cancer but this book is so full of spiritual insight and prayer.  You can't help but be uplifted by it.

thanks,

Cyndi

• kmccraw423
    edited May 2012

Cyndi ... I don't have any ideas but it sounds like a wonderful idea.  That book you cite looks like one I will have to pick up ... I love the title - Glimpses.

Spar ... it is so good to see you!  Tons of kisses and hugs!

• Rocket
    edited May 2012

Hi Gals,

My advice for the Effexor comment is this - stay away from it if you can avoid it. I will say that it really helped to alleviate the hot flashes, but I felt like an emotional zombie. I'm a pretty sensitive person, and this drug deadened all my emotions. It took me a long time to wean myself off of it, and I suffered a lot of withdrawal side effects even while slowly decreasing the dose. I too was thrown into menopause, and still suffer hot flashes day and night. I take Gabapentin, which is not an antidepressant, for nerve pain in my arm after my mastectomy and it helps with the hot flashes some.

Jeannie, prayers are being said for you and will continue. I've added you to my daily list. Let us know how we can help you.

I pray you ladies all have a very blessed day. Tomorrow is my screening colonoscopy, so I would appreciate continued prayers that all will be well and the doctor wouldn't find anything worrisome. I love you Gals!

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2012
    Dear CyndiF, Welcome to this wonderful thread. I think that starting the breast cancer support group at church is wonderful.  Don't give up, keep having it and enjoy the people that do come. I am sure that you are an inspiration to many. The word will spread!!!! Our Lord knows and appreciates your good works. You are a kind and faithful servant. Rocket, I am lifting you up in prayer, knowing that you will have a successful colonoscopy. Love you back!!! Have a blessed day, everyone!!!