Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2021

Nancy, so glad to hear the good news of no cancer. Praise God! I'm sorry you are having so much pain but hopefully that will get better with each day. Can you take Tylenol for the pain instead of the other meds that bother your stomach so much? I know Tylenol doesn't help a lot but it can take the edge off. I certainly understand your problem, I have the same one.

My tooth is still bothering me so I called my PCP and he gave me another RX for an antibiotic and said to take it until I see the endodontist. I'm worried that the infection is still there. I sure hope that this one doesn't have as many SE's as the last one I had to stop taking.

I hope you have a goodnight's sleep and wake with no pain tomorrow.

Love and prayers for everyone,

Faith.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited January 2021

Nancy, so happy to hear the good news on your non-cancer status. A real praise! it is also good to hear about your rides and help. I know God has you in His hands.

Faith, praying for relief from your tooth pain. I do not deal well with dental issues and will pray yours resolves quickly.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited January 2021

Faith, praying for pain relief, no infection, and no side effects from the antibiotic. Dental problems are a REAL PAIN - and it seems they increase as we get older too. May God grant you relief.

Nancy - Praise the Lord our prayers are answered and your ordeal is over so you can rest and mend now. So thankful you have folks to call upon. God is so good. Cammie did ok with your being away?

Love and prayers,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited January 2021

Thank you all for your posts. I appreciate your encouragement and your prayers. Today has been a better day. I made myself get a shower even though I didn't feel like it and I waited quite a while before taking my pain pill. For a short period of time my head felt clear but then after taking the pain pill I am in that la la land feeling. I had a very rough time last evening but today with the sun shining a bit I have seen some improvement and I am so relieved to see this.

I did call the appliance center about my dryer and my washer issues and some guy was supposed to call me back. Still waiting. One neighbor has offered to do some laundry for me so I may have to take her up on that soon.

I have several neighbors stepping up so that is a good feeling.

Faith, praying your new antibiotic you will be able to tolerate and knock out this infection so you can have your dental procedure.

Ade, Cammie seemed to be okay. There was a mouse in my kitchen trap when I got home from the hospital so I wonder if she had a play mate while I was gone. She is very glad I am back home. One of my neighbors came to get the mouse for me as it was not in a place I could get to without hurting myself.

God is good and He does provide. Yes Jean, God Does Have This. He has showed me this over and over and I need to trust Him for all of the other things I am going to have to depend on others to do for me in the near future.

I am not sure if I told you all that I had to call 911 the other night. It was a little after 10PM and my smoke alarm started going off. I was pretty sure it was a issue that has happened several times with condensation from my attic allow water to trickle into the smoke alarm (which is hard wired to my house) and destroys the smoke alarm but it sets it off and it won't stop. I texted my next door neighbors and she told me later she was in the shower and didn't hear the text. So I called 911 and tried to explain it was probably not an emergency. The lady said can you evacuate and I just said no. Putting on shoes is one thing that I can't do very well. The firemen came and sure enough it was the same old problem. So there is never a dull moment in my house surgery or no surgery. Life still happens and has a way of piling up on you at times.

My neighbor across the street called me to see if I was okay. I thought our neighborhood needed a little drama that night and the fire truck didn't disappoint!!!! However I am praying for a more dull time ahead.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Thank you all for your prayers, I’m still having some pain but haven’t started the antibiotic yet as I finally just got it. However, I’m going to wait till tomorrow to take it as I don’t know how I will feel. I’m having a PET scan at 9:00 am tomorrow and can’t eat before that and the med needs to be taken with food. I would also appreciate your prayers that my scan has no bad news for me. I’m not too worried but there’s always some anxiety with these tests. Praying that all will be well, it’s in God’s hands.

Nancy, I hope you continue to feel better day by day but you sure could use a little more excitement in your life, it’s not crazy enough. 😉. Just kidding, hope things settle down and you feel much better very soon.

Sending prayers for everyone and especially for our country right now, it’s unbelievable what’s happening. I’m afraid we are headed for civil war and much chaos. We need to pray for peace like never before.

May the peace of Christ be with all of us.

Love,

Faith (in the future).

• intolight
    edited January 2021

Faith, praying for your scan tomorrow.

Also praying for peace for our nation.

• ade
    edited January 2021

Faith - praying for a GOOD report on your scan and that your antibiotic will work without side effects.

Nancy, hang in there. You will have better days and then along comes a worse one, but for the most part you will feel stronger and have less pain. Healing takes rest and patience with yourself.

God bless and keep you all in His loving care and perfect peace,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Faith, praying you will get good results for you Pet scan today. I can fully appreciate the apprehension in waiting for results.

I do see some improvement but the abdominal cramping is hard to deal with as the pain meds don't seem to touch that. If that would dissipate I would feel like I have taken a huge step forward.

I do have a repairman coming tomorrow to deal with my washer and dryer so hopefully I will be able to do laundry again.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited January 2021

Nancy, do you have someone who can help load and unload your laundry from the washer and dryer? Do you have some kind of abdominal binder? I didn't use a binder after my hysterectomy (I had about a 4-inch incision because my uterus was so large), but I vaguely recall getting a pair of Spanx and wearing those. It seemed to help. Oh, and my dad, a physician, told me "No vacuuming for six months!" He was joking (he's a retired ortho surgeon), but hey, why not follow the doctor's advice, right?

I hope today is a good day for you. My husband and I said goodbye to our beloved Jeeves on Tuesday. It was time and we didn't want to wait until it became a crisis that put us in the emergency clinic at 2:00 AM. We were referred to a wonderful vet who provides in home euthanasia. She was so tender and caring. It helped a lot.

Wishing all of my sisters a peaceful and pain free day.

Blessings,

Carol

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Thank you all for your prayers, my scan results were “fine” to quote my MO. Praising God for answered prayers. Of course my anxiety always looks for problems and this time physiological FDG uptake was noted in the heart and bladder. What the heck does that mean? Probably nothing, I’m just looking for problems, but I can’t help but wonder. No wonder I have anxiety. I’ll discuss with my doctor when I see him, right now I have to focus on keeping this anxiety in check for when DH has his knee surgery in two weeks.

Nancy, I hope that you’re starting to heal and feel better. Can you take anything to help with the gas problem? I sometimes take a product called Gas X and it really helps get rid of the gas pains. For now, it seems like time and rest will help you heal.

Sending prayers and thanks to everyone, God bless you all and especially this sad country of ours. May God send His healing help to us all.

Love,

Faith (in the future).

• intolight
    edited January 2021

Faith, praising God with you on your good scan results. That's marvelous!

Carol, sorry to hear you had to euthanize your pet. That is never easy no matter the circumstances.

Nancy, praying for pain relief and that your household issues calm down so you can just rest.

One of the painters came down with Covid so the whole operation has been on hold since before Christmas. They were so careful to always wear masks so he must have caught it somewhere else. That means we are still dealing with scaffolding and have to put off the elevator repairs for another month. I feel sorry for the other half of the condos who still can't use their balconies or have a fire. Ours was painted during the first half so we are ok.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Faith, so good to hear results were fine. It is only natural to get ourselves worked up when reading those results but I have SO many times read things into the possible situation that were of no concern to the doctors. If your MO so it was fine try to rest in that. I know...........easier said than done.

Carol, I have one of those new top loading washing machines that I practically have to stand on my head to reach the bottom. I will definitely have to figure out a solution. When I was reading your post and it came to your Dad saying no vacuuming for six months I literally said very loudly SIX MONTHS. Then read the part after that. I am so sorry you had to put your Jeeves down. Is that the dog in your avatar? Our pets are part of our family and it is a huge loss. Will you consider getting another pet? That is what I have done in the past and it seems to help.

Chris, so sorry to hear about the painter and the scaffolding still up where you can use the elevators. Hopefully they will be able to resume soon.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited January 2021

Faith I am so relieved to hear your scan results are not a big concern as per your doctor. ALL of us, when we get a malady (I think) imagines the possibility of the worst. I pray you can have peace and that hubby's surgery will be a breeze for both of you, that he will do well and recover quickly. I share with you deep concerns for our country...but GOD IS SOVEREIGN - hallelujah!

Chris, so sorry you are STILL dealing with the condo work. That has been ongoing for a long time! Glad your part got painted first at least. This blasted covid thing has changed so much in the course of a year it is unimaginable. I can't help but wonder what life will look like in another year from now.

Carol I am deeply sorry about Jeeves. We know well that heartache. There are several Airedale groups on facebook that I enjoy. Most have wonderful funny photos and stories, but everyday I see that someone has lost their beloved friend and it breaks my heart. I know the day will come when we will lose 10 1/2 year old Maggie and I dread it. This week our daughter had to rehome her Doberman, Dobii, which she loved. Her youngest daughter (6) reached underneath Dobii, who was sleeping, to get a toy, startled Dobii, and she bit her in the face requiring an ER visit. It perhaps was not the dog's fault, but our daughter felt it best to let Dobii go to an elderly friend who was mourning the recent loss of her own Doberman. Our daughter lost her pervious Doberman to cancer 4 years ago at this time so that old wound was reopened too. She still has a very old Bichon who is the therapy dog for the daughter who was bitten but poor old Sophie is both deaf and blind so her days are numbered too. All that being said, our fur friends are family and it is a long time heartache to lose them. I am so sorry and pray for God to comfort you.

Nancy, you remain in my prayers for ease of pain and resolution of the various problems you are encountering while trying to heal. It will get better. Do you have staples or sutures or glue? I had staples and when those were taken out I felt SOOO much better! Are your ovaries removed too? I had an appendectomy when mine were removed in a separate surgery from the hysterectomy. I have to say, as the rest probably would agree, it is GOOD to be rid of that ol' uterus! When you feel better you'll agree too. :o) Happy to hear Cammie is ok through this. There is a mouse poison that won't poison animals who eat them. It completely dehydrates them so they don't stink inside if they don't make it outside looking for water. Wish I knew the name of it, but our friend swears by it. No traps to empty!

Blessings upon your weekend,

Ade

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited January 2021

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, Jeeves is the Airedale in my avatar. The photo was taken at the lookout above Palm Desert (near Palm Springs, CA). At this point, I don't think we'll get another dog. Since being diagnosed with Stage IV, I feel like my life is lived in 3-month increments - from scan to scan. But you all know how empty and quiet the house feels when they're gone. Still, we feel so blessed to have had 9 years with our goofy boy. He was out third rescue Airedale and definitely the biggest handful. We wouldn't have had it any other way, though.

Nancy, I hope I didn't make you laugh too hard and if I did, I hope it didn't hurt too much. My sincere apologies. I'd "owe" you'd a month or two of laundry service if I lived closer.

Blessings, love and hugs

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Dear sisters,

I noticed this evening that I am bleeding from the very long incision in my lower abdomen. I believe they are internal stitches with steri strips. I am a bit freaked out as this has not done this. I have alot of spotting but I knew that was going to happen.

Today has not been a good day. The washer and dryer repairman came and within five minutes he was really rubbing me the wrong. I love when you know they don't know what they are talking about and try to put it back on you. He basically did nothing. His attitude was not mixing well with a senior women high on pain pills. The dryer had completely stopped working. He took the front panel off and did nothing and somehow it started working. Doesn't leave me with a comforting feeling. He did absolutely to the washer and I said well my warranty should cover this. It was $169 of doing nothing. He said you don't have a warranty. This young guy who has worked three plus months was making me crazy, I finally paid and then called the appliance store and then called the extended warranty company which verified my appliances were still under warranty but I was supposed to have gotten prior approval. I thought calling the appliance was doing what I was supposed to do. I was the phone for a very long time and I was absolutely done in.

Maybe my bleeding happened because I was about to pop a cork with this young man who I felt like was in over his head.

Anyway I have to file a claim and do all of this stuff which I don't feel like doing so will have to wait.

I would appreciate your prayers that one of my stitches didn't break and that this bleeding will stop. I do see my doctor who was part of the surgery on Monday afternoon. If I can hold until then I will feel much better.

I do at least have machines that will hopefully work but may need some assistance from a neighbor too help me get the clothes out of the machine.

Carol, I wish someone owed me up here to do my laundry!!! One of my neighbors said she could do laundry for me but now that I have my machines working I just need a little assistance.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2021

Nancy, if your bleeding doesn't stop you should call your doctor's hotline. I am unsure whether waiting for Monday is a good idea. I worry about you doing all of this alone and wish I could send you some help. I have similar machines and can't empty the washer or dryer either. My situation is the opposite as my family won't let me alone for a minute. They even remind me to take my pills. I am learning to accept help with everything as I am a very independent person...I just wish they were better with the cooking as I still do it all. But they are quick to go pick it up if I say I am too tired to cook.

Take care of yourself. I continue to pray for you often.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited January 2021

Nancy, please give the nurse line or doctor on call a ring. Let him/her determine if the bleeding is a concern or not. I worry that waiting until Monday afternoon may be pushing things if bleeding is not normal.

I hope you are getting some rest after such a stressful day. Praying for peace and your complete recovery.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Hi dear sisters,

I pretty much did nothing all weekend and watched the incision carefully. It did not get worse so I waited it out until Monday. I had my 2 wk post op with my gyny. He said the incision looked good and that bleeding was normal. I am to put pressure on the area. I am afraid to put any bandage over it. They are internal stitches and steri strips on it now. I asked about this "situation" with the oxygen levels dropping before they started the surgery and I said is this normal. He said no it's not. I was going to ask him for a recommendation on a Pulmonologist and decided to wait when he said I could wait until this is over. It was not a reaction to the anesthesia but the angle they tried to put me in so I know it needs to be addressed. I got home yesterday and was completely wiped out. I did a load of wash today for the first time and I bought a extended grabber thing that I could use to reach into my deep top loading washer. That worked out but I was exhausted after doing one load. I can see this is going to be a long journey.

I hope you all are doing okay.

Faith, when is your DH's surgery. I had in my mind the 22nd but my mind on pain pills is not very clear. Praying that it all goes well and that you can get your dental procedure in before then which I know means pretty quickly. Praying against anxiety and fear.

Have a good night everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Nancy, I’m so glad to hear from you. You’ve been on my mind since you mentioned the incision bleeding the other day. Relieved to hear your doctor thinks it’s looking okay. Glad you took it easy over the weekend and finally were able to get some laundry done today. I imagine you will feel exhausted for a few weeks, it takes a long time to get your strength back when you’ve had surgery and been inactive. When DH has his knee surgery on the 22nd, I read it could take six months for him to feel good and strong again. Hope it’s not that long but it just gives you an idea how much surgery takes out of you.

Well, it looks like I will have my root canal on Thursday. I talked to the dentist office today and told them that DH was having surgery next week and I wouldn’t be able to leave him alone for while. So they changed my appointment into a procedure instead of just a consultation. I’ll be glad to get that over with as it’s still waking me up with pain. Just pray there’s no complications and they can find an antibiotic that doesn’t upset my stomach since I imagine the dentist will want to put me on one. I would appreciate prayers that this dental issue goes well, my anxiety gets better and most of all DH’s knee surgery has no problems and he heals quickly.

Praying all is well with everyone here,

Love,

Faith (in the future).

• ade
    edited January 2021

Faith, I'm sorry you're still having pain but glad they moved your procedure up and you can get it over with. May the Lord grant you peace from your anxiety and give you an easy-as-possible root canal with antibiotic you can tolerate and extra fast healing. I'm praying for you and your hubby.

Nancy, so glad the bleeding was not a concern. As I posted earlier, you will be tired for what seems like a long time. Pace yourself and be patient with yourself. Don't get discouraged, you will get there!

We have to travel to Big Spring over 5 hours away next Tuesday through Thursday for 3 VA appointments. I am concerned that with all the unrest right now - especially then - that this may be the worst time to be traveling and in a bigger city too. Prayers for safety are appreciated.

May the Lord meet your every need as you petition Him in prayer with thanksgiving.

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Faith, praying for your root canal tomorrow and that everything will fall into place and that the Lord will provide you with what you need to get through this as far as meds and dealing with side effects and providing good pain control. I know as you are facing your own things and then knowing your DH's surgery is coming next week that it sounds overwhelming. Allow God to take you one step at a time through what seems to be in our own human mind an insurmountable journey. He will see you through and before you know it all of those big events you have been concerned about will be over. That is the way I see Him working before and after my surgery.

Ade, praying for protection as you drive this long trek during a time of uncertainty and unrest.

I have my laundry ready to take downstairs and I just got a shower and washed and dried my hair so mustering up courage to take on another load of laundry. I figure I may have to limit my laundry to only one load per day for a while.

Take care dear sisters. Thank you Ade for that pretty banner. I need to absorb those words of truth.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Faith, this one is for you. We all love you and pray that your root canal was successful and that you have good pain control and that if they gave you antibiotics that you will be able to tolerate them.

I pray that the Lord will give you strength, courage and peace as you go through these next few days as you recuperate and as you prepare for your DH's surgery next week.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Nancy, thank you for the prayers and lovely banner. Well, my dental visit wasn’t too bad but a little disappointing. I have a cracked tooth which is what caused the pain. I can have it pulled but have opted not to do that as it’s a molar I use for chewing a lot. So, the dentist did a partial root canal and put medication in the tooth with a temporary filling on top that will be good for a month or longer until I’m ready to have the full root canal and then the crown. He thinks by doing this, the tooth will be good for 3-5 years, hope it’s longer. At least I don’t have to take anymore antibiotics this way, so that’s a relief. And, I can have the work done after DH’s surgery has healed and I don’t have to play nurse anymore.
    Nancy, I hope you are gaining your strength back and healing with no pain. My prayers continue.

Thank you to everyone else who prayed also, I’m most grateful that we have this place we can all come to for prayers and comfort in our times of distress. I can really feel the prayers sometimes when I’m most in need.

Ade, I will be praying for your long trip for all the medical appointments that all goes well, both at the appointments and while traveling.

Love and prayers for everyone,

Faith (in the future)

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Faith, that sounds like a really good alternative for now and I am glad to hear that you don't have to be on antibiotics right now. I would be very careful as chewing as I know you will be.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited January 2021

Faith, I have a couple of cracked teeth with root canals and crowns. Depending on where the tooth structure is cracked, you may have your tooth for many years. Mine are going on year ten! Try not to chew on your tooth for a good week, giving it time to recover from the shock of dental work. I'm very glad that you no longer have to take the antibiotics.

Wishing everyone a peaceful weekend.

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Hershey,

Thank for telling me about your cracked teeth. That gives me lots of hope that I can keep this tooth and not have to worry about having it pulled. I will certainly be careful about chewing on it. I’m also very glad I don’t have to take antibiotics for this. They really don’t set well on my stomach. Thank you again for your kind words.

Have a good weekend everyone,

Love,

Faith

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2021

Faith, I believe my last crown was put over a cracked tooth and they did some kind of testing and thought it was okay. Don't remember the details but it can be done.

I would appreciate your prayers. In the night on Friday I started having a lot more incision pain and it seemed to be coming from only the left side of the incision. When I got up to look at it there was redness there that hadn't been before. So on Saturday and the urgency of one of my friends who insisted I call the surgeon I did so. I called the number that was given in case this type of thing cropped up. This is the head surgeon who is way out of town. The surgeon on call quickly called me back and instead of doing the waiting and watching decided to be more proactive and give me antibiotics. As much as I hate taking them I felt like that was the right thing to do since it was the weekend. I had been feel so weak and some ways worse a couple of days going into Friday. She said I need to get in to see my gynecologist again this week. UGH So back to the dilemma of who can drive me. I contacted my neighbor who took me last week and she had been very sick after her second Covid vaccine. She said either she could or another neighbor.

I haven't taken any pain pills of any kind since Friday afternoon because I didn't want more side effects with the antibiotic and pain pills. So I hope this AB knocks out the infection so I can start to get on the road to recovery and getting my energy back. It has been discouraging with this setback.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2021

Nancy, I am so sorry to read about this setback but am thankful you called and got an antibiotic. I will pray it does its job and you can feel better soon and heal. I will also pray for your appt with your gynecologist.

Faith, I so understand your teeth fears and will pray for a good resolution to your problem. I have had a lot of dental work including multiple crowns. Usually I find the procedure is less painful than my fears. I will continue to pray for your husband's knee surgery. Mine needs his knees replaced, but refuses. It is his choice.

My DD got her Covid shot since she will be doing her nursing clinicals in the hospital this semester. I have not been able to get mine yet but this will help protect me too. I see my oncologist the 29th and we will discuss it then and whether I can even get it while taking this oral chemo. I have been having an extra rough time this medicine cycle and can barely get out of the house so I will also ask for a dose reduction first.

Take care dear sisters. God has this!

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Nancy, I’m so sorry to hear your incision is causing you problems again, I hope by now the antibiotics have kicked in and knocked out the infection. Praying that you are on the road to recovery. Thanks for the note about the crown over a cracked tooth, makes me feel better. I sure hope the next part of the root canal is easier than this one, my jaw and gum still hurt.

Chris, thanks for your prayers for DH’s knee surgery, I’ll be so glad when it’s over and he is on the way to recovery. I’m so sorry to hear you are having so many side effects from your chemo medication this time. It may be time for a dose reduction or even a short break to let your body recover. I hope your MO has some answers for you.

Sending prayers for everyone here

Love,

Faith

• faith-840
    edited January 2021

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear your incision is causing you problems again, I hope by now the antibiotics have kicked in and knocked out the infection. Praying that you are on the road to recovery. Thanks for the note about the crown over a cracked tooth, makes me feel better. I sure hope the next part of the root canal is easier than this one, my jaw and gum still hurt.

Chris, thanks for your prayers for DH's knee surgery, I'll be so glad when it's over and he is on the way to recovery. I'm so sorry to hear you are having so many side effects from your chemo medication this time. It may be time for a dose reduction or even a short break to let your body recover. I hope your MO has some answers for you.

Sending prayers for everyone here

Love,

Faith