Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited May 2022

teka, at first glance I thought your picture was of a CT scanner! Maybe your CAT thought so, too! LOL

Chris, I'm glad your surgery went well.

Nancy, I'm sorry about your frustration/fears re: your contractor. I'm glad you finished your PT (at least the in-person appointments) and hope you continue to make progress.

I had a bit of an ordeal picking up my Ibrance from my local CVS yesterday. It was delivered to them on Friday of last week, but they kept insisting that it wasn't there. UPS confirmed the delivery as did the specialty pharmacy that sent it. No luck. Finally left after waiting for 30 minutes. Called them again today. "Oh, it's here. It was in the "specialty bin." They did this the last time I went to pick it up. Next time I'll have the check the "specialty bin."

I tried to schedule my nuclear med and CT scans today. There is a shortage of contrast for the CT scan, so I can't get that until possibly July. Nuc med scan will go as scheduled. I felt sorry for the scheduler and told her that I hoped people were being kind to her. She said some of them were not and that she appreciated my understanding. Poor thing - I'm sure it's personally her fault that there is a shortage of CT contrast, right?

My tummy's a bit better - still crampy if I try to eat, but at least no nausea. I'm eating bits of jasmine rice and drinking electrolyte water.

Computer issues yesterday. I have a fairly new computer and Geek Squad came a couple of months ago and moved everything from the old to the new computer. For some reason the hard drive on the new PC was 99% full. It made no sense, so I finally got Geek Squad on Chat to troubleshoot it. The first chat session person told me to make an appointment, the second one ended the chat before we were finished and the third one (who I could barely understand) went through a bunch of steps but didn't fix the problem. He was super sweet and kind, so I gave him good reviews of the survey.

I ended up taking it into Best Buy's Geek Squad yesterday afternoon. I showed the tech the issue and he found the "culprit" within about 5 minutes. There was a 250 GB folder from a previous backup. I didn't need it on my local drive, so we deleted it and now I'm back to a normal hard drive availability. Sigh. At least that step was easy.

Wow, sorry for the ramble. Love and prayers to you all, my friends.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited May 2022

Carol, I'm sorry you are having GI issues as well. I hope your rice and electrolytes are helping. I am glad you got your Ibrance finally. Sometimes those little issues can be really difficult. It is not a little issue when it comes to life saving meds!!!! I'm glad you were able to track it down. A shortage of CT contrast is really something. I have an MRI in Aug. with contrast but I don't think the contrast is the same thing as a CT scan. My smoothies that I drink with the Detox I have been waiting and waiting for the next shipment because they were out of stock. We are really living in a very strange time right now.

Your Geek Squad issue I am glad got resolved even if you had to make a trip to see them in person. I know you are supposed to be going to visit your family this weekend and I hope you will feel up to going and feel much better.

I had a car issue which seemingly came out of nowhere. Every time I opened my car door a type of alarm would go off. It was really annoying and I didn't have time to deal with it until today. I was praying it would be something easy, fast and not expensive. I go to a huge dealer and you don't have to make appointments which I love. The first guy that came up to me I told him what was happening. He said your lights are on. He flipped the switch on my steering wheel and that was the issue. How he figured this out so fast I don't know as I have running lights on always. I am betting that this has happened more than a few times at this dealer. I have a feeling on one of my photography outings with all my gear it must have moved that lever with the lights. I was SOOOOOOO happy that I could come home and get laundry and some cleaning done and get the car fixed with NO CHARGE. Wooohooooooo.

I got a call from my oncology dept today saying that my apt had to be changed in Oct. because that NP was no longer there. This is my third oncologist that has left within a two yr span. I only saw the new NP once and this second one I never saw at all. I will go back to seeing my original MO who passed me off to his PA after I had been with him the first few years. They all had different reasons for leaving but I am glad this didn't happen during my first few years of dealing with bc.

Teka, does Teka do MRI's as wellWinking?

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited May 2022

I just went through the posts and prayed for all of you. I love that CAT scan picture Tika if only it were that easy. My lymphedema therapy has been postponed because I developed new swelling in my arm on Wednesday. I think it may have been injured by the compression wrap that they did after treatment on Wednesday. Please pray that the swelling goes down and I can finish my treatment. Very frustrating that treatment made it worse! Thank you. Jean ;*(

• loverofjesus
    loverofjesus Member Posts: 174
    edited May 2022

Hello everyone !!! I have not been here in a while because after the upgrade to the site I could not log on consistently at all. Now all seems to be fixed. I still prayed for you all and I am so thankful I can now come back and be part of the group again.

I’m doing good. I finished rads and now am on tamoxifen.

I still have rough days mentally sometimes. But I know over time that will surely get better.

Again I’m so glad to be back on!! I can’t wait to get caught up.

Hugs to all.

Shannon

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited May 2022

Jean, I'm so sorry that you are experiencing rebound swelling in your arm. Lymphedema is such a little understood disorder. I pray that the swelling subsides and you are able to quickly resume therapy.

Shannon, welcome back! I'm glad that you are doing well.

Nancy, I'm happy that your original MO is still practicing and available to see you again. There seems to be so much turnover in the medical field. I had my 6-month dental cleaning last week. My wonderful dentist is no longer with the practice, and I've not seen the same hygienist twice in I don't know how long. I wonder if it's a problem with the practice itself or the industry as a whole. While the dentist who saw me was pleasant, she seemed very rushed. My dental insurance is changing next year, so it may be time to begin the search for a new dentist.

I pray everyone has a stress-free holiday weekend.

• bandwoman1234
    edited May 2022

Jean, I am sorry to hear you have new swelling after your LE treatment. I can imagine that is very frustrating for sure. Praying that this will quickly resolve so you can resume treatment.

Shannon, it is good to hear from you. You are all finished. Congratulations. How is you Mom doing? The last I remember you posting there was a question of whether her cancer had come back.

Hershey, sorry to hear about your dentist. I know change is inevitable but it doesn't mean we have to like it!!! I hope you can find a good one once your coverage changes. My porch rebuild finally started yesterday. They are here today only because I thought he was leaving the country on Monday. As it turns out that is not going to happen. I had to have online church today because of that. This has been so utterly stressful because of postponements, never showing up when they say etc. I don't know how people who have major renovations keep their sanity because I sure feel like I have already lost mine. It was supposed to be finished today and that is not going to happen. I will tell you the crazy story AFTER it is finished because you won't believe it.

I would appreciate your prayers. I am dealing with this fatigue that hits me like a brick wall and I just don't know what the reason for it is. I am still having GI issues but some days are better than others.

Have a wonderful Holiday weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited May 2022

Nancy, glad you are getting your porch work done even if it had to happen today. I am also praying for your fatigue--I know firsthand how that feels! I continue to pray for Jean, Shannon, Carol, Hershey, gb, and Wheatfields. All our issues add up and make things harder while fighting this disease. I am thankful God cares and walks beside us. I feel better after stopping my medicine completely while waiting for a reduced dose. But I think I overdid it yesterday because I felt pretty good, and am paying for it today. I forget I just can't do things. So I will play couch potato today.

Take care dear friends. Chris

• sunshine99
    edited May 2022

Oh, Nancy, the saga continues, right? Having work done can be SO frustrating! We want to be kind, but sometimes it seems like we have to raise our voices in order to be heard.

The fatigue - I was just thinking about it and how it just hits out of nowhere. It's so hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. Between the fatigue, the digestive issues and everything else, it just feels like a little too much.

Chris, I hope you can play couch potato today (my fingers started to write "house potato!") and that you can get some rest.

Carol

• zjrosenthal
    edited May 2022

After a couple of days considering what to do since the treatment made my lymphedema worse I decided to see the PT lady once more on Tuesday and let her know I'm not comfortable with having my arm wrapped again until I see the hand doctor I made an appointment for on Wednesday and also speak to my lymphedema doctor down at Sloan-Kettering . I feel a little bit more in control and less frustrated now that I've made a decision on what to do going forward. I have been treating the pain and swelling with ibuprofen and at-home gentle massage. The swelling has gone down and the pain is almost gone. Thank you all for your concern. Jean

• loverofjesus
    loverofjesus Member Posts: 174
    edited May 2022

Hi Nancy!!!!

It’s so good to be back. Yes my mother’s breast cancer came back. On the mastectomy side. They did surgery and got clean margins and my mom chose not to do anything further. She is 83. And decided just to not do radiation.

Thank you for remembering! She is doing great after surgery.

• bandwoman1234
    edited May 2022

Chris, I know you understand fatigue as you have been through so many challenges which have resulted in a lot of fatigue. We can so easily overdo and I know you probably feel enormous time pressure to have your house in perfect condition for you incoming family. I hate it that it hit you the next day after having a better day but I do believe God sidelines us sometimes because He knows we need the rest. I am glad to hear that you are off your new med until getting a lower dose. I do hope you will have many days of feeling much better with more energy to do what you would like to do. Yes, I am very grateful that this porch project finally got off the ground as I had this fear that he was going to blow me off completely.

Carol, yes the saga continues. This year has been the worst for me and contractors. I have had to hire handymen for most of my adult life and I don't ever remember having a year like this. God must be teaching me something that I am having to learn over and over again. Not quite sure. But today very little got done because of a big problem so the two day project is looking like it might be more like a week project because they never put in a full day's work. In the scheme of life this will be a minor blip on the radar and I keep telling myself that. I have laid this project at Jesus feet numerous times and I find myself having to do that daily now. The fatigue is concerning since I don't know the source. I imagine my weight loss and my detox program have contributed to this somehow but it may be my body adjusting to all of it and my meds trying to adjust as well. I am still forcing myself to walk almost every day. Is this your weekend with your family I believe? Hoping that will be a blessing.

Jean. I am glad you feel better after putting a plan in place. I know that always helps me when I am feeling out of control and frustrated. I suffer from fibromyalgia and that issue has caused me a lot of grief with many physical therapies I have had in my life. I have to just stand up to the therapist and say I can only do so many of these reps because it is making my pain worse or causing other areas to become painful. Some are more receptive than others. I hope you will find that yours will be and I am glad you have helped reduce the swelling yourself. I never had to experience the wrapping in my LE therapy so I don't know what that is like but I know you will figure out what is best for you. We do have to be our own advocates as we all know after the myriad doctor apts we have to have just for BC alone.

Wheatfields, how are you feeling now post surgery? Hopefully much less pain.

Teka, praying for you as you wait to see your ortho doc.

Hershey, how is your PT coming along? Has your Mom started their community garden yet? I bet she will really enjoy that. There is healing in watching things grow and having an active part in that process.

Shannon, I am sorry to hear about your Mom. Hopefully she will have many good quality days left to enjoy.

GB. has any decisions been made yet affecting your workplace. I have been praying that the Covid exposure will NOT happen.

Enjoy your Memorial Day tomorrow everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited May 2022

Nancy, I'm sorry that your contractor hit a snag that caused a work stoppage. That's frustrating for sure. I seem to remember that you live in an HOA community. I hope the HOA board is understanding of the project and any work delays.

Thank you for asking about my mom and the community garden. Plants were started indoors from seed and transplanted to the garden after Mother's Day. Her area of the state has received lots of spring rains, so the tomato plants have required no deep watering. My mom does enjoy visiting the garden and seeing the plants grow.

I've had two PT sessions so far. The first session was entirely spent with the therapist; the second was split between the therapist and an assistant/intern. I do notice some improvement in shoulder mobility and pain after my sessions.

Shannon, I'm glad that your mom is doing well after her surgery. My friend's mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer three times. Her last occurrence happened when she was over 80 years old. She elected to do surgery only. This past February, she celebrated her 99th birthday! I pray your mom will have a successful outcome as well.

• bandwoman1234
    edited May 2022

Take a moment today to appreciate the ultimate sacrifices our men and women in the military have made for us to be able to celebrate freedom in America. Enjoy your day.

• bandwoman1234
    edited May 2022

Hershey, I am glad to hear your shoulder is improving already. That seems pretty typical these days to have your time split with the PT and their interns. I'm glad to hear your Mom can visit the community garden and enjoy seeing the tomato plants grow. Enjoy today. We are having fantastic weather this weekend and I hope you are too.

Yes, I am holding my breath that no one complained about hearing the circular saw going on a Sunday from my contractors. Working on Sundays is not allowed. I set this up thinking my contractor was leaving the country today and taking a teaching assistant position in France. That never happened because of the huge airfare now. Otherwise I would have never consented to him working on Sunday. I believe in taking that day to rest. I was able to invite the contractors to my church as they knew I was having my church online yesterday. They are from Russia.

Faith, I am not sure if you are able to login now but know you are still in my prayers always.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited May 2022

Please pray that mt Lymphedema PT goes well tomorrow and she cooperates with my plan to see a hand doctor and speak with my Sloan-Kettering Lymphadema Dr before continuing treatment. Also that I will get copies of all my measurements while there to give the hand doctor on Wednesday and send to Sloan-Kettering. Thank you all for your support. Jean Prayed for you all.

• intolight
    edited May 2022

Jean, I am praying for your PT and doctor needs today. May God answer your prayers and send you peace in the process.

• bandwoman1234
    edited May 2022

Jean, I have prayed for you that your plan will play out as you hope it will and that you can continue treatments which I pray will be effective and that you will have peace in this situation.

I need prayers today. Yesterday I did my usual grocery shopping and then decided to work out in my yard. It was hot but very forceful winds so I wasn't all that aware of the heat. I spent several hours working and right when I was just about to finish and go inside and eat a very late lunch a friend stopped by. We talked for maybe an hour or more and I was getting very parched and in need of water. I was dirty and didn't invite her inside. When she left I was so wiped out and I still had to collect all my tools and put away. As soon as I got inside I immediately felt nauseated and I did get sick. I felt queasy the whole night and don't feel great today. I thought I had an early car apt today and I misread my calendar and it is tomorrow thankfully. My contractors have not shown up and they knew they could work even if I was gone. I have been drinking electrolyte water and it is a special order powder that goes into my filtered water. I am guessing I had heat exhaustion with dehydration. At any rate I would appreciate your prayers. I have much on my to do list and probably nothing is going to happen today other than laying around and resting.

I hope you all had a good holiday weekend.'

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited May 2022

Oh Nancy, heat exhaustion can be very dangerous and lead to heat stroke. Please rest today with no guilt. I will pray for a quick recovery.

• sunshine99
    edited May 2022

Nancy, I hope you're feeling better today. It does sound like heat exhaustion. I had that a few times when I was a kid and played in the sun too long. It's miserable and we didn't have electrolyte water at that time (as far as I knew.)

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited May 2022

Nancy, I hope you are resting comfortably and drinking plenty of fluids. Please take things easy, rest in a cool place, and cancel the car appointment if necessary. Heat exhaustion is a serious matter. Many years ago, my husband and I rented a Jeep and took a drive in the hot midday sun. We stopped for a bite to eat, and I passed out at the table from heat exhaustion. Thankfully, a customer at the next table recognized the signs and poured a pitcher of cold water over me. He later told my husband that the same thing happened to his wife just a few days before. We sometimes don't realize how warm we are or how little we're drinking. I pray your recovery is a very speedy one.

• bandwoman1234
    edited May 2022

Thank you dear sisters for your prayers and your concern. I am taking it easy today and just finished a big electrolyte drink. I knew I was exhausted yesterday as my friend and I were standing and talking. I hadn't seen her for quite some time even though she does go to my church so I wanted to catch up. I was completely surprised at how fast once I got inside my house I felt sick. I know I have not been feeling my normal self and will have to take it easy working outside. When noon came I was so frustrated with NO contractors at my house working so I texted the guy and basically said this is NOT working for me working less than a half a day at a time and having a two day project looking like it is turning into a two week project. I got some fast action after that. They didn't ring the doorbell today and I have not gone out to greet them. I already said I was not feeling well from yesterday. I did see one railing in place........finally. He said the woodwork would be up today. I'm still not holding my breath on that one but I did say I need a longer range plan that I can schedule around. So we will see what happens but I am hopeful. I was afraid materials might be stolen from my front porch as my garage does not have room to keep this with my car inside and I live on a corner where it would be very easy in the dark to carry off this expensive wood. I understand delays can happen but not appearing on the work site until afternoon and then leaving after only a few hours work is just very unusual to me. I started on this project last summer and ran into wood shortages. When I start on my new windows project I hear there is a shortage of aluminum and work can't begin for some for three months out. As I have said before in the big picture this is only a small blip on the radar. So I will put on my big girl panties and deal with it. LOL. Thanks again for your prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

I hope you are all doing well. Today is my idea of picture perfect weather. My contractor will finish priming and painting today and the project will be DONE. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am feeling better now. Thank you for your prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited June 2022

Good news Nancy! Send pictures when it is all done.

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2022

Great news Nancy. I also have good news. I was able to get a scrip for a very good rehab up here to continue my Lymphedema treatment. Just waiting for them to call to schedule. I was told I should hear from them by early next week. I also got my appointment with the Sloan-Kettering Lymphedema doctor who is nearer than driving down to NYC moved from the end of July to the end if June. Onward we go. :*) Jean

• intolight
    edited June 2022

Great news Jean. Lots of prayer answers in your post!

• sunshine99
    edited June 2022

Jean, that's great news!

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Jean, so glad that things are working for you and obviously prayers are being answered.

My project is not quite done. My contractor works very slowly and meticulously and he spent an enormous amount of time being sure the nail heads would not show. It was 2:00 and he hadn't even started priming yet. He vowed to finish today. I ended up having to plug in two work lights and shine them through the kitchen window so he could see as he was working in the dark at this point. His Dad picked him up and they left at 9:40 PM. They are coming back tomorrow and touching up any places that need it since it was very hard to see. I started feeling very nauseated this afternoon. My young contractor found a wasps nest and asked if I had any spray which I did. In his spraying the nest my whole front door got covered in spray. He opened the door to give me the spray back and I don't do well with chemical smells at all so I am hoping that was all it was and that I do not have a stomach virus. I am totally exhausted from this very long day. I am sure the contractor must have been wiped out as well.

Chris, you will laugh at how small my front porch is and how this turned into such a deal. I have had it rebuilt in the past and it was done by two experts, a carpenter and a painter and it was a no brainer. It was done very quickly. Like I have mentioned before once the job is all done I will tell you the back story in all of this . My landscaping needs to be replaced but not this year. I will maybe post a pic so you can see it. My landscapers have not trimmed yet and things look pretty shaggy at this point but I'll see if I can post a pic of it. Nothing exciting but I am so thrilled that it will be done after tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2022

Hello ladies,

Nancy, I'm so glad you are feeling better and the porch is about to be completed. Jean, grateful for answers to prayer for your treatment. And it was good to hear from you Shannon and we will be praying for your mom also. I had the stitches out of my hand yesterday and had a little OT session to learn some exercises for it. I'm also supposed to massage Vitamin E oil into the incision a few times a day to smooth the scar tissue. The left hand with the thumb surgery and injection feels much better, and the right hand with just injection is a little sore yet at times although right now I'm using it more while the left hand heals. Praying for you all!

Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Wheatfields, I am glad you are doing well and it sounds like things are improving already. Hopefully now that a few days have passed you will have less pain and more use of both hands.

I just heard on the news of a breakthrough in rectal cancer in a small study. The participants did not have to have surgery or chemo and all are in remission. Jean, this was from Sloan Kettering that an oncologist discovered this amazing therapy. These types of things can be a huge breakthrough in all forms of cancer. Praying it will help for breast cancer.

My porch is finally done. A day later than I thought but done. It has been quite stressful and there have been several other things happen that I definitely feel has been an onslaught from the enemy. I know I need to stay very close to Jesus as he is my source and my protector.

I am praying for you all and mention each of your known issues up in prayer.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Let's all wish Chris and her DH a very happy 50th wedding anniversary on June 9. We wish you a blessed time with your family coming in to help celebrate this wonderful milestone. I have been praying that you will feel good and can just soak in all the love showered on both of you. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!