Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Wheatfields, happy belated birthday!

Nancy, how is your knee this morning?

DH and DS just left to drive to Bishop. DH will be back tomorrow. I'll probably get a short nap today. Made a protein-rich smoothie this morning with Ensure, peanut butter powder and protein powder. It's not settling too well right now, but I think it will be OK. Will just eat bland food today.

Love to all,

Carol

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703
    edited August 2023

Happy belated birthday, Wheatfields! May God fill your year with peace, joy, and hope.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited August 2023

Carol, I hope you can get a nap in and feel better. My Mom would have been happy to skip meals and just drink Ensure. One year before we started limiting her amount of Ensure she gained 20 lbs and my Mom was never overweight. I hope it can put some pounds back on for you. You have been through so much. Always praying for you.

I am doing well so far today. I got out of bed without a hitch (pun intended) and then getting in and out of the bathtub has been pretty scary but managed that without too much trouble. My added challenge is this left knee has set off my right heel pain which I haven't had to deal with in years. I had cortisone shots and I did the shock wave surgery and the whole nine yards. If I can just get through my bathroom updating then I would have time to do PT which at this point I feel I really need. I have not contacted my surgeon after yesterday's scare. I am taking a wait and see approach which if I wasn't in the middle of all of this other stuff I would have reached out to him immediately. I continue to ask for God's wisdom in this.

My new Zoom Bible study begins tonight. We are doing a Crystal Evans Hurst video series from her book She's Still There. She is the daughter of Pastor Tony Evans and the sister of Priscilla Schier. It will be very different from our Beth Moore series.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields is having surgery tomorrow, Friday, Aug. 18.

Chris is having an infusion and shots also on Friday, Aug. 18 that leaves her feeling weak.

Let's pray for these immediate needs. Let's continue to pray for Carol and GB, Hershey and Teka.

Love,
    Nancy

• hersheykiss

Amen, Nancy. Praying for good outcomes tomorrow for Wheatfields and Chris. Carol, Nancy, GB, and Teka -- you are in my continued prayers.

I just received the UA test results from this afternoon: no red blood cells or other anomalies, so the antibiotics did their job. I'm very thankful.

Wishing everyone a most peaceful evening.

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, that is great news.

Wheatfields, I hope your surgery went well. I know you may not be able to type for a while but know we are praying for you for a successful and rapid recovery.

Chris, I know this is the time you don't feel well and I pray that this period will go quickly.

Carol, how are you doing? I sure hope you are able to gain some weight and find some answers and solutions to all of your challenges.

My thyroid ultrasound looked like good news even though my endocrinologist did not specifically say that but the nodules had shrunk so it sure looked like good news to me. I don't see her until mid Sept. to discuss at our annual.

I got my new blinds installed yesterday and I am so pleased with them.

My windows guy that came to deal with my window locks said he didn't know what to do for me and can't figure out why I apparently have two different types of locks on my windows now. He said I need to get a project manager out to my house. He only bad mouthed the company and was really not only unhelpful but of course eroded my confidence in the company by his remarks. The guy that installed my inside trim nailed down the trim over these brackets that I had for my old valances. When my handyman came to take my old blinds off he couldn't get these brackets that stick out of the wall about seven inches out because he said he would have to pry the trim off. I said you can't do that because that would void my warranty. So one day I will be writing a book about my journey through the maze of new windows. Sure to be on the NY best sellers list!!

Praying for all of you.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Hi All.

Nancy, so sorry for your windows saga. You can't seem to get a break from trouble! How is your knee feeling? It was good to read your thyroid ultrasound shows good news.

Wheatfields, joining Nancy in praying for your recovery from surgery. Get well quick!

Hershey, happy for your good news that the antibiotics have done their job. Yay!

Carol, you are in my daily prayers also.

I am slowly recovering from my infusion and shots from yesterday. I hurt but Tylenol helps. Taking the next couple of days easy until my PET scan on Tuesday. My blood work and tumor markers looked good so I am hopeful all is quiet again.

• hersheykiss

Nancy, your thyroid results sound great to me. It's encouraging when we see good reports in the patient portal, and I sense that your doctor will be pleased. How frustrating that the window representative put the responsibility on you to involve a project manager. Isn't that the representative's job?? I'm thankful that you have an honest handyman to help you maneuver the window/lock situation.

Carol, will your area be affected by Hurricane Hilary? I pray that you and your family will be safe and sound.

Chris, I'm very happy that your lab results are good. We will be praying for great PET results on Tuesday.

Wheatfields, wishing you a speedy recovery from surgery. I hope your nurse friend is doing well, too.

• bandwoman1234

Chris, glad to hear your markers and blood work looked good. I pray that your PET scan will be as well.

Carol, praying for your safety as this hurricane hits. I just heard that it has been downgraded but the wind and rain still sound like it could be quite an awful storm. Hurricanes in CA. What a crazy thing.

Hershey, I am not sure why my doctor didn't say good news regarding my ultrasound but in my mind it is so I will think on that. My handyman can't do much about my windows saga but he does start on my cabinet refinishing early on Monday. So I have been taking all the contents out of it. Who knew one could accumulate so much in a bathroom vanity for ONE person!!!!!!!!!!!

I am attempting to clean my bathtub. I did a trial run before fixing dinner and I am hoping I can manage without any knee locking issues.

Stay safe everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Thank you for your prayers every one. The surgery did go well and the IV went in with no trouble and the first time. I was more sore yesterday because the numbness had worn off but had a script for tramadol. I am still using ice and this evening my friend will take the bandage off and put on smaller bandages. It's still swollen a little and the tip of the thumb is still a little numb. My friend has really been my "right hand" the last couple days. She has a pulmonologist appointment tomorrow, if she could just get some good sleep I think a lot of things would be better for her. Nancy so thankful your ultra sound looks good and also Chris your tests going well on Friday, and hopefully feeling better soon, Hershey , praising the Lord your infection is going. And continuing to pray for you Carol.

Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss

Wheatfields, I'm so happy that your surgery went well and there were no issues placing the IV. Your nurse friend is such a blessing to help you before and after surgery. I hope the doctors soon find answers for her health concerns. A good night's sleep is restorative, and I pray that she finds rest.

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, so happy that your surgery is over and that things went well. It is wonderful that you have your own private nurse who happens to be your best friend. Praying that you will have good pain management as your recovery progresses and that you will have a great end result. Praying for your friend as she seeks solutions for her insomnia. Thank you for posting as I imagine that was not easy to do.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2023

Carol, praying for your safety as Hilary pounds your city. Praying for no property damage as well.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, how frustrating. I remember years ago when we were installing a new AC system in our desert house, and we had several companies come give us bids. One guy spent the whole time bad-mouthing all of the other companies. We ended up going with another company that was recommended by the La Quinta Resort. I’m so happy we did. They’ve been wonderful.

I hope your knee is feeling better. I will look forward to the publication of your upcoming book. I’m not sure if you should publish under the category of Self Help or Humor.

Intolight, I’m glad the Tylenol is helping a bit. I’m glad, too, that your recent blood work looked good.

I’m still losing weight but the high calorie Boost should be here by tomorrow. We were not significantly affected by the hurricane. Someone on FB referred to it as #hurriquakenado. Yikes!

I walked into the DMV this morning at a little after 8 am and was out with my DP placard in about 40 minutes.

Nancy, I got a chuckle out of the amount of stuff in your bathroom cabinet. I totally hear you on that one! Good luck on cleaning your bathtub. That’s a job even without a gimpy knee!

Wheatfields, praying for a swift recovery from your surgery.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Carol, so glad that you are okay and that the hurricane, tornado and earthquake didn't affect you as it did other areas. I guess if you have to go to the DMV you picked a swell time!!!!!! Even though I hate the reason that you had to get your placard

I do remember my sister switching my Mom from Ensure to Boost as it had more protein but that was after she entered her assisted living. She would have gladly skipped the meals and just drank her Ensure or Boost all day plus cookies. She developed quite a sweet tooth in her dementia.

I wish I could give you some of my pounds!!! I'll also give you a signed copy of my book that might come out. Of course I realized that if I didn't reel in my anger at this repairman from my windows company I could be writing my book in an orange jumpsuit!! The thing is he was from the company that I bought my windows so he was bad mouthing his own company. He told me he would look into the problem for me as soon as he went back to the warehouse. I told one of my friends I wouldn't be holding my breath on that one esp. after he wanted to put the problem squarely back on me and that I should get a project manager out.

When my repairman walked through my door at 8am and said well it is really going to happen. My cabinet refinishing that is. I have tried to get this project off the ground for literally 32 months (but whose counting). He got done what he could and then took the doors off to work at his house. The last time I had any painting done inside I went down to visit my Mom for a week because the smell of paint makes me sick. He had to use an oil based paint for this job and I left to get groceries when he left and it was nice to get some fresh air. When I got back home oh my. I didn't realize how this smell permeated the house.

I had a furious headache but I have not felt nauseated so that is a good sign.

I was able to clean my bathtub this weekend even with my bad knee. I was so grateful that I could do it. I still haven't called my surgeon yet. I just want to get this bathroom project finished and then I will deal with it. After my handyman is done then it is passed off to the contractor who will install the custom countertop. Hopefully this will go smoothly and not be anything like my windows fiasco.

Now if I don't kill myself tripping on all the "stuff" in my hallway and bedrooms that are now housing all the contents of my vanity it will hopefully be a successful redo. I guess they call it a vanity for a reason. LOL

We are to hit temps of 100 in a few days. With the high humidity I am really looking forward to that. I can't imagine the states that have dealt with three digit temps for weeks. I think at that point I would pack my bags and go to Alaska.

Wheatfields, praying you are doing well. I hope you are managing your pain well.

Chris, I know you have a PET scan soon. I hope it will confirm what your other tests have shown and that you are feeling better.

My hummingbirds are going crazy these last couple of weeks. I only have one feeder and they are very territorial. They take turns darting in and out and seeing who can edge the other one out to get on the feeder. It is close to migration time so they are powering up for the long trip and my nectar has been going down so fast. I have never made this much nectar. It is fun and I have a lot of hostas that are in bloom and the hummingbirds love those trumpet like flowers. I would like to have this time stand still for a little while longer.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, glad your thyroid news is good. Sounds like you have good energy to get the work done on your house.

Wheatfields, happy news your surgery went well.

I got the results of my PET scan (after only two hours!) It is a little mixed but not bad. I have certainly received worse news. Just mild uptake in a couple of areas but thankfully still no neck or brain involvement. Just spine, liver and esophagus lymph node. The areas I was worried about are fine (gut, stomach, bladder, etc.) The lung has improved. I will wait for the input from my oncologist of course. I am thinking it is because I was off the Verzenio for a couple of months. Hoping I can kick it all back with continued use. Don't know whether it will work that way. Anyways, we are starting to discuss taking a little vacation mid to late September. I am tired of sitting at home and need to get out and live large while I still can.

The good news is there are three workers here today working on the roof of my deck. (We are having the whole thing roofed…it is Colorado!) The roof has been on for awhile but it needs roofing material on top, etc. Hopefully that will continue! We moved the Bar-B-Que and a couple of chairs onto the deck last weekend anyways. The workers commented that they don't blame us for wanting to use it. We only have one stretch of railing left that needs to be installed so we thought it would be ok. Of course it still needs inspecting, painting, etc.

I still feel rotten from my infusion on Friday so I will quit and take a nap. Praying for good news for everyone. Chris

• bandwoman1234

Ps. 94:18-19

When I said "My foot is slipping," your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.

I feel like someone could use this verse today.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I know you have been through these PET scans for a long time but I am always amazed at how calm you seem to be at getting results. I pray that the Verzenio will knock out all of these areas of concern. Yeah, for more progress on your deck. That is awesome. I have not heard of a roof over a deck but with all the crazy weather in CA recently I have learned a lot of things about living near mountains and how that translates into muddy roads.

Wheatfields, how are you feeling after a few days out from surgery?

Carol, I hope your Boost comes so you can get those extra needed calories,

My handyman was supposed to have finished his part of my improved vanity but my design involves a white cabinet with black drawer pulls and a black faucet etc. He couldn't find any black hinges so had to order online so it won't be in until tomorrow (Hopefully) that he will be finished. Smelling fresh paint tends to make me sick but with my air scrubber added to my AC and furnace that is helping. My custom countertop will hopefully come in on Friday and then I will get a call to find a date for the install.

Our heat index could hit 116 today so I am staying inside as much as possible. My knee has improved a lot since last week. I have been able to walk without my cane indoors for a little bit so I am really encouraged by that.

I have a new little friend. Can you guess what it might be…………………………………….I see it at night when I have been watering all my flowers. It is a toad. I have to be very careful because the little guy or gal in the dark is not easy to see. I used to see one every summer but it has been a few years. My hummingbird fountain that is on the ground might be the attraction. I love all of my wildlife in my backyard and patio. My hummingbirds have been so fun lately. I have only one feeder and they are very territorial so a lot of darting in and out beating the others to the feeder. They have a tiny chattering sound which I love to hear.

Have a good day dear sisters. I know some off you are not feeling well and I pray the Lord will bless you with a feel good day today.

Love

Nancy

• wheatfields

Nancy, thank you for that verse, such a wonderful reminder of our Lord watching over us every step of the way! Praying that your home projects are going well and that you are free of pain, and keeping cool in the extreme heat. I also, like your little toad story! Chris, praying that you continue toward feeling better and can enjoy the beauty of Colorado around you. We are enjoying an abundance of Colorado peaches right now! Carol, I'm praying that you can gain some extra calories and Hershey, so happy that you are feeling better. My hand is bruised yet and less swollen but healing. I want to do more with it than I can, and have to remind myself to slow down a little. I get the stitches out on Tuesday. My nurse friend hasn't gotten the home sleep test kit yet. It was a little humorous when we were waiting for the doctor she took the test on whether you had sleep apnea and scored only a 3 and I took it and would score a 10. I do hope the home test kit works as well as when they keep you overnight at the hospital. Thank you so much for your prayers! Praying for each one a blessed day. Love, Wheatfields

• sunshine99

I don't remember if I posted this, or just thought about posting it, so if I'm repeating myself, I apologize.

I have a friend who shares a scripture via text every day. Recently she share Psalm 90:2 "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God."

I put the heart emoticon by the message and then was notified, "You loved…" I mis-read the "You loved…" and thought it said "You were loved…" Isn't that cool to read it as, "You were loved before the mountains were brought forth…"

Hope that all makes sense. Sorry for all the quotation marks.

Weight was up .3 pounds today. Not much, but better than a loss. Nancy, the Boost came, but it's pretty potent and kind of upset my stomach. I need to drink it with food or after I've had some kind of starch to eat first - like mashed potatoes or soft pasta. I've been eating (don't judge, LOL) Beef a Roni. It's quick to heat in the microwave and I can add cottage cheese to bulk it up a bit.

My housekeeper just arrived. I'm going to head out and let her work in peace.

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight

Carol, thank you for the reminder that "you were loved" even before we messed up. Glad your weight is going up.

Nancy, love the creatures you share. Can't wait for our yard to finish so next year I can get some flowers going.

Wheatfields, I am still praying for your recovery.

Today should be the last hot day before it starts to cool down. The workers put extra covering on our deck roof this morning since the electrical isn't finished yet and it is supposed to rain tomorrow. If they would have just worked harder it would have been done! Not feeling great yet so I am a little cranky.

Love to all. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited August 2023

Wheatfields, it sounds like your hand is making good progress. I'm quite interested in your nurse friend's home sleep study. My husband's PCP ordered a home sleep study last year, but our employer-based health insurance denied it. I seem to recall they required a clinic study instead.

Nancy, I really enjoy your hummingbird stories. Are both males and females territorial?

Chris, your covered deck sounds wonderful. You and your family will get so much enjoyment from it.

Carol, I smiled at your Beef a Roni comment. My husband's favorite quick meal is toast topped with some pesto and then Spaghetti O's. :-)

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, it is going on 9:30 PM and I still have to go outside and water. I will look for my new friend. I didn't see him last night but he can easily be camouflaged. I am sure when I talk to all my little creatures that if someone would happen to be walking by my house they would think oh there is the crazy lady on the corner. I sure hope you can be patient with your healing process. My sister reminded me that I need to do that too since I have been trying to walk without my cane while in the house. I am sure you are anxious to do some canning if you can. I used to love peach pie when I could eat it. It was my favorite. Do you make those?

Carol, I do believe God loved us before we were even formed. The more I have studied the Bible these past many months that fact that God loves us SO much comes through so loud and clear. He wants to have an intimate relationship with each of us. I am sorry that the Boost is causing some stomach upset. I wonder if there is two different kinds of Boost. With my Mom we switched to Boost because it had less sugar and more protein that Ensure if I am remembering correctly. Hey, .3 lbs is going in the right direction so that is a good sign. I will pray it keeps going in a positive direction.

Chris, I am sorry your deck is taking so long. You are allowed to be cranky. I find that when the humidity is high that makes me cranky. My phone right now is saying the feel like temp is 102. A few minutes ago is said 111 so now is the time I need to get outside. Praying you feel better each day.

Hershey, it is really strange but every season when I put up my one hummingbird feeder I will see the beautiful males only for a short time and then I usually only see the females. However just a few days ago I saw a beautiful male but he was on the side of the feeder where I couldn't see him very well but I could see the light hitting his beautiful ruby colored throat. I believe that all hummingbirds are territorial. When I would visit the nature center when visiting my Mom I would usually take a day to photograph the hummingbirds. They had many feeders so it was a sheer delight for me to see them and photograph them. That is how I learned to recognize there chattering. I could hear them before seeing them dart in and out. They chase each other away from the feeder so when I watch my feeder at my house this one can never rest. It is constantly looking up and then before you know it one will fly in and then they both take off. I find then fascinating.

Teka, I sent you a PM and not sure if you saw it yet.

GB, how are you doing?

I know this may sound crazy but getting up so very early every day when I am not used to it and not getting enough sleep for several nights in a row has been really difficult for me. Poor Cammie is not doing well with my handyman coming in and out each day either. Tonight I was really worried about her. She was upstairs all day and finally came down the stairs and it was obvious she was limping really bad. I don't know what happened but she is hardly eating with all the commotion of my handyman working here. Hopefully we will both be much better when it is finished. Because of the high humidity and the fact that my handyman is turning a dark brown cabinet into white cabinet is taking way more coats of paint than he had anticipated. He may not finish until Saturday because of that. My new countertop came in but it won't be installed until Sept. 5 but he said if there is an unexpected opening he could call me to do it earlier. I am praying it will fit because if it didn't I could conceivably be without a bathroom sink for two months.

Well off to the wilds of my backyard now going on 10 PM.

Have a good night dear sisters and I pray for good things to happen for all of you.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

I am not sure if I ever posted this unusual photo of a female hummingbird I took downstate at this nature center I was talking about. This little girl was defending her territory by making herself seem large.

• intolight

Nancy, Love your photos! I hope Cammie will settle down and you will get good sleep.

We just booked an Alaskan cruise for the beginning of October. Yes, I will need my parka! We have done this cruise before and it is my favorite. We are accompanying some new friends. I am a little nervous about it but have decided I don't want to just sit in my chair waiting for me to die. The oxygen issues are falling into place (Airline, ship, pulmonologist, etc.) so I think it is meant to be. My DD will struggle a little with finding help for her daughter while we're away but she'll handle it. I know getting out in nature and seeing God's handiwork will help me right now.

• wheatfields

Oh Chris, that sounds wonderful and I'll start praying for it right away that you will have a wonderful time and feel good and enjoy the beauty of His handiwork! We just finished a 1000 piece puzzle on Alaska and it was almost as fun as being there!

Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss

Chris, your cruise sounds amazing! What a marvelous treat to look forward to in October! I will pray for smooth sailing, and please share photos when you return!

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I am so happy to hear you have made this decision for this cruise. That will be here before you know it. I have had some relatives who have taken an Alaskan cruise and absolutely loved it. Since you have done this before you will know how beautiful it will be. I will just say you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields,

I forgot to mention that I did a sleep study with an at home kit many, many years ago. Mine was basically a little tape recorder and I think I probably had some electrodes on me somewhere. This test showed I didn't have it so I have never pursued the over night study.

My Mom did one as well but she was still well along in her dementia and I think she invalidated the test by removing something on her but I believe she had it and was never treated for it.

I do have some friends and relatives who have sleep apnea and with the CPAP machines felt like they got their lives back. They do have some device you can insert into your body so you don't have to deal with the CPAP machines but I imagine your nurse friend probably knows about that device.

I am impressed finishing a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. Our family did those as well and it is a lot of fun. I pray each day your surgery recovery will improve.

I had a mini crisis this morning. I noticed water marks on the back of my cabinet that is being refinished and quickly called my handyman. He came by and it was a slow leak in my cold water line. The installers of the counter top will be coming after Labor Day and will replace the water lines so now I just can't use the cold water in my sink until then. I was so grateful as it could have been much worse. My cabinet will be finished with the refinishing phase tomorrow. YIPPPEEEEE!

Have a good weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Chris, your cruise sounds wonderful! I'm glad you have the oxygen thing sorted out. I'm looking forward to seeing photos, too!

Nancy, I'm SO glad you spotted the drip marks before it became a major crisis. It's still a pain, I know, and I hope it all gets resolved quickly.

I hope everyone has a calm, uneventful weekend. We have family in town, which we're looking forward to. Then the following weekend our kids are coming down. Looking forward to that, too.

Love to all,

Carol (that's a lot of "looking forwards" but I guess it's better than dreading it, right?)