Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

teka, she's adorable. Love the name, too!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Teka, love the kitty. This is the first time in my life I have not had a kitty. I miss them, but can't handle the care. I will hug yours from afar.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Teka, Alice is a cutie. That is awesome that D and BF adopted her. I know what mischief one kitty can do and to think she now has many brothers and sisters to join in the fun…………………. OH MY!!!!!!

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703

Teka, Alice is a great name for a kitty. We haven't owned a cat in years. My husband is a dog person, and wouldn't you know, cats ADORE him! :) I do miss having a feline around the house, though.

• bandwoman1234

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

• sunshine99

Beautiful, Nancy!

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Nancy, I'm thankful you noticed those water marks soon and the cold water line could be fixed right away! Yes, I have made peach pies before and do once in a while from my peaches in the freezer if an occasion comes up. Continuing in prayer for you and Cammie. Hershey, the sleep study is on hold for a little bit until another problem in resolved, but the way I understood is they evaluated her situation as to insurance and medicare and then recommended a study that would be covered and it turned out to be the home sleep study. Although, she personally believes the clinic or hospital one would be more effective or truthful. I had the stitches removed yesterday from my hand. The incision below the middle finger is healing nicely, but the one below the thumb started bleeding again and they put steri strips over the incision. That right thumb seems so involved in whatever you are doing. So hopefully with more time that will close up enough to do the exercises. Praying for all of you!

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Carol, there is something about water and especially waterfalls that I love to see. Nature can be very healing to the soul. Continued prayers for you.

Wheatfieds, actually the water leak won't be fixed until my countertop is installed. He is also installing my new faucet. So right now I am brushing my teeth with hot water because my handyman turned off the cold water. I knew my faucet was leaking and had been for some time. What I didn't realize is that it was leaking into my wall but very slowly thank the Lord. All of this will be fixed next Tuesday. I can't wait to see my new countertop. My design is a black and white design so I am having a fun time looking at all the accessories to match that.

I bet you were glad to get the stitches out. I do hope that your thumb will heal quickly with no more bleeding. Isn't it amazing how all the parts of our body that are in good shape we take for granted and then when something happens we realize just how valuable each part is like your thumb.

Your peach pies sound wonderful. I have been enjoying some fresh peaches this week. Yum!!!!

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, your new bathroom design sounds wonderful. I hope it gets done soon so that you can enjoy it.

We redid our bathroom several years (5?) ago. DH did most of the work himself as he was in between jobs. It was a big job, but I'm SO happy with it.

If I can post a before and after, I will. The second one is not quite finished as we put a marble countertop on the left side.

• sunshine99

Here's the after photo.

• sunshine99

During… What a mess! OK, no more photos today.

• hersheykiss

Carol, your husband did a great job with the bathroom remodel. I like the clean black-and-white motif. It has a serene spa-like feel.

We got our high-dose senior flu vaccines this afternoon. Thursday afternoon must be a slow time at the pharmacy: one tech, two pharmacists, my husband, and me. No one else around except a floor manager. The entire process was seamless, and we were home in a flash. It was all quite impressive.

• bandwoman1234

Carol,

Your bathroom looks great. Your floor tile reminds me of mine. I couldn't help but notice your change in windows. How great to have two windows in your bathroom. I have no windows in mine. My update is not by any means a remodel like your DH did. I am doing a teeny weeney partial remodel that may progressively turn into a whole remodel.

I should post a before and after pic of my lighting. You would all be laughing out loud at what I lived with for a very long time. It was called not being able to find a contractor during Covid. My lighting is a long story and all dependent on what my neighbor was able to do. I could find nothing mounted on the ceiling where the electrical box was with enough light until finally I found this rustic looking lighting that my whole black and white design is based upon. I was able to find some drawer liners which sort of looks like my countertop that is being installed on Tuesday and I was able to get those put in yesterday. I am looking into towels, towel racks, shower curtains and rugs which will be my accents. I am trying to decide if I dare try to take off the wallpaper. A good friend said that is not a job for one person. She said she had several people help her remove wallpaper from her parents home before they sold it. My handyman doesn't remove wallpaper. I wallpapered two of my bedrooms never having done it before but I have never removed wallpaper.

My handyman was supposed to do a small job for me on Tuesday and I think he totally forgot. Either that or he was hoping I would forget that I asked him to refinish my kitchen cabinets and the kitchen floor when he comes back. He said he wouldn't be do anymore cabinets until he buys a professional sprayer. At this point I am not going to ask him about this small job. He leaves on Saturday and probably everyone was trying to get in their small jobs before he left. I don't know when he is coming back.

I got some GREAT news today at my annual eye apt. Two years ago I was so upset at my eye apt. My doctor told me he could see drusen in both eyes in the scans of my eyes. This could be a precursor to macular degeneration which I was really devastated. I knew one of my grandmother's had macular degeneration and my BIL has it and is losing his vision. Today he didn't say anything about it and then I asked if he saw drusen. He seemed surprised because he had not written it in his notes I think he looked back at my scans. He didn't see any drusen at all today. I have been taking supplements that he recommended for macular degeneration and he said maybe that was the reason even though from my understanding the meds didn't cure anything but would only stop the progression. I think this is a God thing. I have had people pray for me to fix anything from the top of my head to bottom of my toes. So this has been a day of celebration for me.

Sorry this is so long.

It is a beautiful day today and it was great to get out of the house for a while. The awful heat is coming again but I will enjoy this day to it's fullest.

Have a good Labor Day weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Dear sisters,

I am writing with a heavy heart tonight. Some of you know Ellen from this thread. Her husband was a pastor and they lived in NC. We still keep in touch and she had told me recently that Clyde, her DH was having some issues and went to see his doctor. He had tests and the shock was he had cancer. They knew the liver was affected but didn't think that was the source. As they were waiting for test results and finding out the treatment plan in a span of six days they found out it was terminal and no treatment options as the cancer was in the bile duct and it had spread quickly to other organs. He is in hospice now. As you can imagine Ellen is heartbroken and grieving. I am sure she would appreciate your prayers. Ellen was going through her second breast cancer journey when we met on this thread back in 2014. She was active for a long time here and then ran into some really serious heath problems herself. She is doing much better as far as that goes.

Good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

This is heartbreaking. Ellen and her husband will be lifted in prayer.

• intolight

Surrounding Ellen and Clyde with prayers as they walk through this valley. Such devastating news to receive so quickly.

• hersheykiss

This news is deeply sad. Praying for Ellen and Clyde's comfort and peace.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

Just popping in to say hello. Sorry for being quiet! Not much has changed. Insurance and work are still pretty messed up. My employer apparently picked the world's worst insurance. I'm about to report them to the insurance commission, just waiting on one more email reply.

• hersheykiss

GB, it's good to hear from you although I'm sorry about the continuing insurance woes. Is your open enrollment period coming up soon? Any chance your employer offers another insurance carrier to employees? I do hope a good resolution for you is just around the corner.

• intolight

GB, it is good to hear from you. So sorry the insurance problems have gone on this long! Wow!

Had a good visit with my oncologist yesterday. We are keeping things the same for now but eliciting the expertise of a neurologist for my back. She also approved the cruise. Also, I had a dental visit Thursday and everything is good. Given my anxiety over dental visits this made me happy.

Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend. We are going to try to visit the state fair tomorrow although it will be hot for Colorado. It is supposed to be 92* today and 86* tomorrow. Hot for here!

• sunshine99

gb, I had a patient/client years ago (speech/language pathology) where the insurance was refusing to pay for this kid's much needed speech therapy. His mom got mad and called (or threatened to call) the Insurance Commissioner. That did the trick, and his therapy was paid for!

Our kids are down for the long weekend. DH had to make an emergency run out to our desert house. My dad left a message that his refrigerator was leaking. Couldn't reach him, so DH drove out there last night. I haven't heard, but hopefully it's nothing major. We've heard of houses like ours being flooded due to plumbing issues with thousands of dollars in damage. I haven't heard from him yet, but hopefully it's just a quick fix.

It's kind of gloomy here in San Diego. Weird weather. New neighbors have moved in on both sides. Haven't met them but hoping they're good people. We were spoiled with both sets of neighbors. That's the hard part about rentals. People don't seem to stay forever.

I hope everyone has a good, problem-free weekend. How can it possibly be September already???

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Thank you all for your prayers for Ellen and Clyde. I know they appreciate all the prayers during this difficult time.

GB, from what Carol has said maybe a communication with the Insurance Commissioner might be what is needed. It is such a shame when these types of changes are made and it is usually a bottom line decision. I hope you can find some bright spots in each day. I know when you feel burdened with so many things that is not always an easy task. Have your bluebirds migrated? Our bird migration has supposedly started but by the fact my birds are eating me out of house and home as fast as they devour the bird seed you couldn't prove it by my yard.

Chris, I'm glad you got through your dental visit. I know how much you dislike going. Getting the green light to go on your cruise has to make the excitement grow. Have fun at the fair!! I am so happy for you that you are feeling up to doing these things.

Carol, I hope you have a great visit with your kids. I hope that the refrigerator leak is not a big deal. I do hope you are feeling better. I hope your new neighbors will be great neighbors and become new friends.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. Today we begin another heat wave. I can't believe it is September either.

Love

Nancy

• sunshine99

So the refrigerator leak turned out to be nothing. But, here's the other part of the story. Apparently, my dad texted my husband after he was on his way, saying that the leak had stopped and there was no need for him to come. Since hubby was almost there, he just stayed overnight and had a great talk with my dad this morning.

He said that my dad "just talked and talked." We both think that God orchestrated the whole event so that my husband would drive out there and spend time with my dad. The conversation was along the lines of giving everything to God and not hanging onto our "possessions" because they're all His anyway. God's timing is perfect, isn't it?

We're going out there next weekend and we're going to take our copy of The Pineapple Story to watch with my dad.

Why am I amazed at what God does?

Carol (it's raining here)

• intolight

Hi All. Enjoy reading all your plans for today.

Carol, I understand about renters. We own four houses we rent out. We get more money than the mortgage so it pays for itself plus the management fees. It also helps with taxes. We have good management companies since two of them are out of state, and it is worth it as they handle everything. Our San Diego condo does very well!

Got a UTI (again.) Did a video appointment yesterday and started immediately on antibiotics but feel much worse today. Perhaps it is the incorrect antibiotic although those symptoms have improved. I just ache all over and have nausea and a headache. Always something! So I had to cancel our outing today and will just rest.

Praying you all have an enjoyable day. Chris

• bandwoman1234

Dear sisters,

I wanted to drop in quickly and tell you that Ellen's Clyde passed away last night. I just heard from her this morning. His son that is in the military and was flying in from Saudi Arabia missed seeing his Dad by six hours. That was tough to hear. I am sure Ellen would appreciate your prayers now more than ever.

Carol, glad your DH had some good "talk time" with your Dad. Glad the leak stopped. Whew. I hope you are enjoying time with your kids.

Chris, I am so sorry that you had to cancel your plans because of another UTI. Praying for you now.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Oh, Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear about Ellen's Clyde. That's stunning how fast it happened. I will continue to lift Ellen and her son in my prayers.

Chris, I'm sorry you're not getting relief yet from your UTI.

We've had a great visit with our kids. DH and DS are surfing this morning. DDIL went for a run. They're heading home to Bishop later today.

Appointments tomorrow, Wednesday, and the next two Mondays.

Love to all,

Carol

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Nancy, so sorry to hear of Ellen's Clyde, and will continue praying for her and her son and family. So very sad and sudden. Continuing in prayer for you and have a blessed day. Carol, praying for your upcoming appointments and so happy that your DH had a good visit with your Dad. Chris, I am sorry that UTI showed up again and pray that you are feeling better before the day is over even. The incision below my middle finger looks much better than the one at the base of the thumb. It has a cracked area that doesn't want to close shut, although it isn't bleeding anymore. We have a church fish fry this afternoon and I was going to make a peach pie but my nurse friend wanted a rhubarb one, so I did that this morning with frozen rhubarb from the freezer. Praying for each of you.

Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss

Nancy, thank you for letting us know about Clyde's passing. I continue to pray for Ellen and the family.

Wheatfields, your rhubarb pie sounds delicious (so does the peach!). Do you make your crust from scratch?

Chris, I hope the antibiotics kick into high gear and you feel better soon.

We are making pico de gallo this afternoon with vegetables from our garden. We chop everything by hand (well, except the jalapeno peppers). From start to finish, it takes about 2 hours but the end result is worth it. My husband tells me, "Hollywood stars would pay money for this." Ha! ;-)

• intolight

I am sorry to hear about Ellen's Clyde. Sending prayers for her peace and solace.

Wheatfields, baking pies from scratch and HersheyKiss making pico. They both sound great. Fresh from your gardens will make them amazing. I love to make pico but have to result in store-bought veggies. I do, however, chop my own jalapenos (with gloves on of course.) It means we never know how hot it will turn out! You make me want to go to the store!

Trying to make the best out of my day. Praying you all stay safe.

Chris

• bandwoman1234

Hi everyone.

I have a situation which I want to get your opinion or advice. Today was my long awaited install of my custom vanity counter top. The owner of this company is very, very nice. He had a crew of three guys besides himself. He had to take my new faucet back and get another one as it was not functioning properly. I was downstairs as they were working upstairs. At one point the owner said to me it is a very tight fit.

When he had me come up and take a look I love the new counter top. However in putting it in within a tight space they knocked a hole through my wall and yes, the whole room is wallpapered. He said we can take the wallpaper down, patch the hole and paint for you. I said will I have to pay for this and he said no it was our mistake. He said you would need to pay for the paint which he said he can get at a discount.

He asked if I had any old rolls of this paper and I said no it was here when I moved in. I didn't say much but felt more bad for him than for myself. I didn't tell him that I was eventually going to take the wallpaper off and paint. I said the mirror will have to come down and I was planning on buying a new mirror. I asked if they could put a new one in for me and I would pay them to do that. So when he left he just said call me when the mirror comes in and then we can set up a time to do the rest.

When he left I gave a hint that we could work something out. I just feel terrible that he is going to do all of this work for nothing just because of a hole in the wall.

So my question is should I offer to pay them for their work (which I wasn't planning on having done right at this moment) or should I just let him foot the bill with me paying for the paint or should I pay for some of their work.

I don't ever recall having a situation quite like this before. At this point the counter top is not completely finished because they can't caulk until they remove the wallpaper and paint. Is it just me that has such issues with contractors? 😵

Any input is welcome.

You all making all of these special meals and pies makes me feel like a slacker. LOL

Love,

Nancy