Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited July 2012

I read this today - "Blessed is the man who is patient under trial and stands up under temptation, for when he has stood the test and been approved, he will receive the crown of life which God has promised to those who love him." It went on to add that "can I really be blessed throught this trial? Believe it or not-no matter how big or small the test or trial-you can be blessed. But first, I want to give you seven words that will help you keep the right perspective and see the blessing through the trial: 'Don't panic! This is only a test.' It's important to tell yourself that. Those words remind you that God is working behind the scenes on your behalf in every situation."

I found this comforting. Sometimes it does feel like I am in this alone. Even with support of friends, family, medical staff, etc., it feels like only I know how I how I am feeling inside; the thoughts I have. The fear. The frustration. God can feel far away. But he's not. During radiation I lie there and visualize His hand covering my heart, my lungs, my stomach. Protecting me. But sometimes I forget that He is here with me ALWAYS, not just during radiation, or on my good days. He's here on the not so good ones too. Like they say, if God feels far away, ask yourself who moved. This message reminded me that I am never alone.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2012
    Tonlee, Wonderful news, God is Good!!! I am sure you can't wait to get to your boys. Rocket, beautiful Bible verse, thank you so much for posting it. I felt such a peace and calm when I read it. Macatacmv, please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers for healing!!! Enjoy your sons birthday and his friends. Get some rest after, knowing what a great mom you are!!!!Smile Mini, Beautiful and comforting Bible verse as well. Thank you for sharing!! I would also pray during radiation, my two favorites are The Lord is my Shepherd and the Lord's Prayer. I really thought that I was going to become the fun grandma last night, Liz was having severe Braxton Hics , but she settled down. Any day now. God bless you and all the lovely ladies here!!!!!
  • Mini1
    edited July 2012

Kindergarten - How exciting for you. I new twin grandbabies. 1 week old today. Holding them does me more good than any medication! Ah, the circle of life. Who knew being a grandmother would be so cool? :-)

• FernMF
    FernMF Member Posts: 274
    edited July 2012

Calling all prayers:  I visit the oncologist tomorrow - to hear the results of the ONCOTYPE DX test.  My stage I is a relief; my "almost" triple negative (PR is "slightly positive") is scary; the sentinel lymph was negative at time of surgery and showed up on the pathology as 0.83 mm micrometastatic . . so, my FAITH says to just TRUST God for this, to NOT do chemotherapy (and I probably won't be a candidate for hormonal therapy) . . . Women who have not been diagnosed with BC have a 20% chance of getting BC . . so why should my ~ 20% chance of recurrence (if that is the true %#) be any different than that. . .   I am walking by faith with a definite LIMP right now.  THANKS ALL!  Thanks, too, for all your good words and encouragement.  I like to hear the stories of BC free for years after treatment. 

• learnin
    learnin Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2012

Fern - (apologies if I misunderstood you post)

I believe all healing comes from God. And He uses alot of tools - sometimes including chemo.

So if your oncotypeDX suggests you would benefit from chemo, I don't think that is an issue of faith. Using chemo does not mean you have less faith. I believe God wants us to trust that He loves us, recognize the beauty He creates around us, and accept the blessings He gives us. For some of us, that includes chemo, or other tough treatments.

Trusting God is not a matter of chemo or not. Trusting God is a condition of the heart.

If I need chemo - do I trust God that He is using it to accomplish His healing? That I can pour out to Him my fears and anxieties about side effects?

If I don't need chemo - can I trust that my life is in His hands, even if I am no longer taking active treatment?

Hoping your oncotype result is good. But if not, prayers for peace as you make your decision.

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

Mini, thank you so much, I can not wait!!!!! Hi, Fern, I am lifting you up in prayer right now!! Our Lord is our source of bounties and blessings!!! I am so glad you came here for prayer and support. God bless you, Kathy

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589
    edited July 2012

Fern, the way I understand it is, once we have BC our chances of getting it again are higher than the normal population.

Second, depending on how big your micromets are in the lymph, they may want to give you radiation.  The newest research shows a def. rads benefit to survival for anyone with micromets to the lymphs.  Even if it is a single node.  Since they only took one and it was postive, don't be surprised if they recommend rads.

The lymph node closest to my tumor had the smallest number of cancer cells.  The other 3 had much more.  It doesn't always mean there is nothing else there if the first node they pull has micromets.  Which is why they will now often recommend rads instead of going back in and doing an entire axilla.

Hope you get good news.  Please keep us posted.

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012

PHi Ladies,

Thinking of you all and have you in my prayers.  Hope you all rest well tonight. 

TonLee  Hope you and your two children are doing well while you're apart.  I know you'll feel much better when you're back with them.  How much longer now?

Macatacmv  Hope all went well with your son's birthday and praying for strenght for you.  Don't consider it complaining or anything when you tell the doctors how bad you feel.  Sometimes they may be able to make adjustments or changes that they wouldn't know to make if they are unaware of how you are feeling.

I too am so thankful for God's patience.  Knowing how holy He is, it amazes me that He is so patient with me.

kindergarten  Is that grandbaby here yet?

Rocket Praying that you are able to get some rest in the midst of your move.  Also, praying for Godly fellowship for you there and opportunities for you and your husband to minister to others there.

mini1  Nice to hear you are enjoying your grandbabies and thankful for their health and join you in being thankful that we are never alone.

learnin  I double your encouragement to fern  and Fern, I hope your appointment went well yesterday and praying for wisdom for you in the decisions you are facing.

musical  Continuing to pray for you and your mom.  Hope you both are able to rest during all this.

jo5 Hope you have a good Sunday!

Love you all!

• learnin
    learnin Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2012

Maybe you can add me to your prayer lists. I have had progression in my mets (liver and bone). Seeing oncologist tomorrow for new treatment plan. Pray for the right drug that will be effective. That in spite of grief, nothing can steal my joy. And for my boys - that they will be protected from fear. Thanks.

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Prayers going up for all!

• TonLee
    edited July 2012

Fon, I go back home August 2nd.  My frankenboob hurts, but everyday a little less....pretty bruised up.  But I bruise easily. 

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

Dear Fondak, thank you for asking, our dear granddaughter has not officially arrived, but I see her moving a little in my daughter in law's stomach. The doctor said any time and to not go far. My daughter in law and son are so ready for her to arrive. It is even hard for Liz to walk now, lots of pressure. Dear learning, I am lifting you up in prayer right now for a new treatment plan that stops any more progression. Your faithfulness and positive attitude will see you through this new challenge. You are amazing. Blessings to you all!!!!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited July 2012

fondak, thanks for your continued prayers. I really appreciate that. Sure need it. Always knew this was going to be huge, but whoa it sure is tough, when theres extra issues which are both unneeded and unecessary....well thats how I feel.  It just never seems to stop. Sooorry for complaining folks. This bucket feels about as dry as a wooden god right now.

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

Dear Musical, I am lifting you up in prayer! I hope solutions are found soon to end this challenging journey. I know our Lord is surrounding you with love and His plan will be revealed soon. God bless you, Kathy

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012

Well Im writinf this through tear stained eyes.Been crying since yesterday afternnon.Thanks for your prayers. As if this isnt hard enough, we dont need extra divisive satanic spiritsgoing on which is what is happening. Im so angry right now I could spit tacks. I remind myself that God hates a false balance even if I dont understand it at the time, I know it. Theres nothing I hate more than a false balance.Where is this going to end????

Even so come Lord Jesus 

• bhammer
    bhammer Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2012

Praying for all of you and the various things going on in your lives. Praying Jesus would reveal Himself in the details of your lives to bring you immense joy and love. Praying for Him to do more than you ask or imagine and peace when it is not His will. Lord, give these ladies miraculous strength to go through their trials and may they glorify you in all they do and say. May so many others see the difference in their lives and give them the opportunity to tell of Your great love and sacrifice to redeem us from the pit of hell. You alone have conquered death for all of us. You told us about suffering and trials and we praise You for the promise that all this will one day end, in your perfect timing when we enter your Kingdom. Lord, wrap your arms around the hurting in this forum and show your mercy and grace. Bless their families and anyone involved in their lives. Thank you Jesus for loving us so much that we can come to you with our prayers and petitions. You are awesome and worthy of ALL praise. Amen   

I am so sorry for you guys who are hurting right now. It breaks my heart. Love, Donna 

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2012

Hi Ladies,

Asking for prayers on Thursday.  I'm having my exchange.  Yeah!  Can't wait to get rid of the hard rock on my chest... Please pray for complete healing as my PS says there's a 30-40% chance of failure due to having rads.  God's in control and I'm in His hands! 

• TonLee
    edited July 2012

Dechi,

I am one week out from exchange and had mucho rads......all is well.  :)

• dechi
    edited July 2012

Glad you're doing well TonLee and thanks ladies for the prayers!!

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

Good morning,  Everyone!!! As I was doing my devotions this morning, I read this wonderful Bible Verse today:Philippians 4:Verses 6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. I believe these wonderful verses speak to our hearts daily. This challenging journey that we are all going through helps us to always remember that Our God is an awesome God. It reminds me to  always lean on the Lord of Grace for help. Blessings to all you wonderful, Strong and Christian women here!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

I also just read this and had to share: We must be fixed on eternal glory. Every trial that we face, every burden that we shoulder, every agony that we suffer must be borne with our everlasting destiny in mind. Thanks for letting me share today!!!!

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Kindergarten - I love those verses and look to them often. It's easy to get, as JO-5 says, sick and tired of being sick and tired. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt. But we have to keep our eyes on the prize. It's like the old hymn says:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
    Look full in His wonderful face,
    And the things of earth willl grow strangely dim,
    In the light of His glory and grace.

Innocent

• dechi
    edited July 2012

Praying for you JO-5!  The Lord loves you!!

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

Dear Jo-5, I am lifting you up in prayer right now!!!!! Mini1, I loved your verse!!!!! I know Our Lord is with me right now. Ladies, I would love your prayers. My tumor markers came back, slightly abnormal, so my onc wants to order a bone scan. She is wonderful and very thorough. Thank you so much. I knew Our LOrd wanted me to read those verses today.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012

Hi Ladies, thinking of you. Thankyou for your prayers for me and my mum etc. She is settling in to Care, little bit by little bit. Small baby steps, and today I liked what I saw. I only pray it is a portent for good things to come. She was in full swing singing to the Lord with a group of CHristian Ladies that go around homes. My Mum has been in that group before she came into Care. She didnt see me, but I saw the joy of the Lord on her face. That really encouraged me. I know theres much I dont understand with our oldies and I thank God He knows what Hes doing. I found this amazing verse which Im going to printout and hang on her wall cuz she loves it too.

Isa 46:4 And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.  (KJV)

Theres another one too but I cant find it at the mo.

Jo, Big Hugs, really feeling for you. You have put up with so much. Lord please bless Jo right now, and put your loving arms around her, protect her, and refresh her weary soul. Indeed Lord we look to the heavenlies, and know this life is only but a fleeting glimpse compared to eternity. Just pray dear Lord she will be comforted where she is right now. Amen and Amen. Thankyou Lord. 

• Kindergarten
    edited July 2012

Dear JO-5, Thank you for your prayers, I really can feel them and know what a wonderful support system I have here, Yes, how could we manage without our Lord?? You are such a great comfort to me and everyone here on the board. My onc e-mailed me again and said let's just do a repeat bloodwork instead of a bone scan. I feel so much better. Prayers are so powerful, thanks!!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012

Hey Ladies, well Im up (again) in the wee small hours so thought Id just pop in and say hi. Hope you are all doing well and may the Lord be your strength no matter what youre facing. Praise His wonderful name.

I pray that we all keep in Your word Lord for You have magnified Your word above all Your name!!!! 

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.  

Amen and Amen

Lol, as my bro and hubby and I were sneaking mums keyboard into her room, she was singing up a storm and tickling the ivorys down in the activity room. Hopefully this trend continues. Thanks all of you who prayed for me and my mum.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012
    Jo, forgot to say, funny about your Dad. When we take Mum out now she is constantly asking if the ones in charge know she's gone, but on Saturday we took her for a little hoon in our 60' Chevy V8 and as always she absolutely looooved it! Then we brought her out home in the country and she loved that too as shes a country girl at heart.
  • Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited July 2012

Hi Ladies,

Have you missed me? :-) I am just catching up on all the recent posts. I have prayed for you all as I was reading them.

We have finally moved into our house. The closing was incredibly stressful. We had an appointment with our lawyer at 10:00 am last Friday. The sellers were supposed to go to their lawyer's office at the same time to sign the paperwork to complete the sale. They decided they had other things to do, so they didn't show up for several hours more. Then there was a snafu with the mortgage broker who was questioning whether or not the structure was sound because of one two-by-four in the attic that showed evidence of an old wood boring insect. They waited until closing to think that this might be an issue! It was ridiculous! We actually closed 15 minutes before end of business on a Friday afternoon with our Jeep fully packed and no place to sleep other than our new house. We had movers delivering our stuff at 9:00 am the next morning. I was a complete basket case. I broke down in tears in the realtor's office waiting to see whether or not could move into the houseand whether or not I needed to call the movers and tell them to put our stuff in storage. We slept on an air mattress that night and the next morning the movers and my DS and BIL arrived. My DS stayed the week with me to help me unpack. My DH and BIL had to leave so they could work. My DH was teaching summer classes at his previous university.

We are now headed back to eastern NC because I have an oncology appt. this week. I also have to take my mom to her medical appts. She will be 88 in January. I, being her primary caregiver, POA, etc., will now need to decide whether or not to move her closer to me or leave her where she is. Her finances will run out if I leave her where she is in about a year. Then she will be placed in a not-so-nice facility with poor care. My other option is to move her soon to western NC in a facility where she would have to share a room, but Medicaid would cover her when her funds are depleted. In her current assisted living facility she shares a suite, but has her own bedroom. All the other facilities would be a shared room. These decisions are so difficult. She's had a tough life, and I don't want to add to her suffering in any way. Musical I so relate to what you are going through.

Love you Ladies and have missed chatting with you. I should be on a little more frequently mow. Still have a lot to do to get settled, but wanted you all to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. Blessings!

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2012

Have you missed me? :-)

No....coz we aimed better. ;-))))  ...... sorry couldnt resist that one and Im just being facetious. LOL

Rocket your mum is just a couple of months older than mine.  I am really so sorry to hear of your dramas with the whole moving bit.  Its a stress we definitely can do without. I rmember when we moved here I just cried and cried with all the stress of it all, and I hadnt even started to unpack yet. I really pray the Lord will protect you from the harmful things that stress does to us.

It is HUGE getting our loved ones settled and we are in the thows of dealing with "stuff" that needs to be distributed around family and suchlike. That is all part of it. No wonder the Lord told us to hang on to stuff lightly, but we still have to live whilst in this body, dont we.