Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• 2Tabbies
    2Tabbies Member Posts: 927

Artemis, I don't think we're vain at all. We just want to look like normal human females. I hope my PS is as much of a perfectionist as yours. I'm so tired of feeling like an androgynous alien from Planet Neuter. I've lost virtually all my female parts to cancer. Ovarian cancer took my uterus and ovaries and put me in early menopause. Now breast cancer has taken my breasts which is even worse because it's such an obvious change externally. Enough! I shouldn't complain when some people lose more functional parts like arms and legs, but I'm a bit tired and whiny today. My surgery date can't come soon enough. 

Wishing a restful, pain-free day to all who are recovering and patience to those of us still waiting.

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

Raelyn, your pics look so good!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502

Today is Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day. Please visit our redeveloped section about Breast Reconstruction which includes the latest information on breast reconstruction techniques, before and after photos and new content topics. In addition we would also like to hear from our members about their decisions regarding breast reconstruction.

The Mods

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565

Hi everyone, reading the posts and wish all good healing and successful surgeries.  I am dealing better with the pain, still taped up,  but managing. Earlier posts I mentioned i had other problems with knees and legs, but now under control.

2Tabbies, please don't rush out of hospital after 1 day.  I believe it was some dr. who said 1 night was all you need. Don't leave the hospital, please.  

Warrior Woman and 2Tabbies, thank you for your kind words, since I feel somewhat better I am more optimistic.

Raelen, DPiggy, Andrea and FKinnegan and all others I am thinking of everyone. 

Yes, my right breast is still sliding to the right but I went to mast store and found some good bras.  Will wait until the 28th, counting the days like it would be a holiday for the PS visit.

Love to all, 

• raelan
    raelan Member Posts: 84

All - I continue to do well and feel better with each passing day.  Pain is totally under control and I've been sleeping a lot.  I find that taking a Percocet and Valium at night is the trick.  It allows my muscles to relax and I sleep very soundly.  The lat flap continues to look good and I think some of the swelling's starting to go down.  I'll probably pull my breast drain in the next day or two.  It's not putting out a lot, but still enough to be over the "30 cc's in 24 hrs" limit.  The back drain will be in for awhile.

My next PS appointment is in a week.  My PS stopped by the hospital twice while I was there and is very pleased with how well things turned out.  I'm starting to do some slight stretching based on the instructions the hospital sent me home with, but still being very careful not to lift my right arm above shoulder level.

I wish all of you continued good healing, and for those of you waiting for your upcoming surgeries i wish you peace and minimal anxiety.

• 2Tabbies

Ronna, I'm glad you're feeling better today. Don't worry. I won't check myself out of the hospital against medical advice.  One of the surgeons I consulted said that sometimes only 1 night is necessary.  He didn't say that was always the case.  What I object to is having to stay extra nights just because that's the way the doc always does it. That happened when I had my hysterectomy.  The last night was totally unnecessary. People recover at different rates. They should recognize that. As that one PS told me, if your pain is under control, the nurses aren't doing anything for you that you can't do at home where you won't be at risk of a hospital acquired infection. So I shall see how it goes. 

Raelan, it's good to hear you continue to progress.  

• raelan

2tabbies - I totally agree with you regarding the amount of time one should stay in the hospital.  It should be patient specific, and in my opinion not based on SOP.  As I've previously mentioned I ended up with c-diff, which is a hospital acquired infection, while undergoing chemo and it landed me in the ICU for 4 days with sepsis.  It was brutal and a very difficult recovery.  I have no desire to stay in the hospital any longer than necessary.  In my case, with the lat flap surgery one night was sufficient.

I'm certainly getting a lot more rest at home than I did in the hospital that one night. In addition to the constant checking of vitals I had the pleasure of being woken up at 2:00am to the sound of someone down the hall throwing up....oh joy. 

• kfinnigan

oh the joys of hospital stays - YUK~~ Loopy

Glad to read Ronna and Raelan are doing pretty good today!

• DPiggy
    DPiggy Member Posts: 132

Raelan & MandalaB - glad to hear you are both doing well.  I had bilateral LD on 4/15, & I also experience swelling under my arms.  My PS said it would go down in time, & it definitely did.  I was in the hospital for a total of 6 days, two & a half of those days in the ICU.  My surgeon was very admant about getting round the clock care by a specialized team.  As much as I wanted to go home sooner, I knew it was best for me to be where I was. 

I see my PS tomorrow to discuss my exchange surgery which is scheduled for 10/29.  Can't believe it's been 6 months since bmx & double lat & 2 weeks away from implants.  I'm excited & nervous at the same time, but ready for sure.

Ronna - your in my thoughts & wish you comfort & healing.  We have all experienced different journeys; I just wish yours wasn't so challenging.     

• 2Tabbies

DPiggy, why was it necessary for you to be in the ICU and hospitalized for so long? I was only in the hospital overnight for my bilateral BMX, and felt just fine going home at that time. Of course, I didn't have the LD flap then too, but I wouldn't expect that to have added 5 more days to the hospitalization or time in the ICU. It totally blows me away that the docs use such different protocols. Good luck with your exchange. The worst is almost over.

Raelan & kfinnigan, I rest much better at home also. It always seems like hospital rooms are too hot and the air too dry. Then there are those wonderful plastic covered mattresses. I know they have to use them because they can be disinfected, but they make me sweat. The middle of the night blood pressure checks are wonderful too. Even though I used to be a nurse and understand why they do it, I find it annoying. Sometimes you can get the doc to let them skip the 4 am one if you've been stable.

• DPiggy

Hi 2Tabbies - my PS has a very specific protocol after the LD surgery.  She wants her patients monitored by a specific team in the ISU so drains are appropriately monitored, I had 8 of them (4 front, 4 back).  She also requires round the clock monitoring of pain mgmt & address any possible issues that may indicate infection.  I was able to get out of bed & sit in a chair, but until I was released to the floor, didn't do a lot of walking, plus I had a catheter.  I wasn't thrilled, but I appreciated her being so cautious.

• MandalaB
    MandalaB Member Posts: 52

Oh my PS didn't say I wouldn't have any scars, he actually said I'd be pretty chopped up on that side and there's really no way to get around the scarring. I have lots of tattoos so it's just another thing to cover up later. I'm banking on some serious ink at this point. LOL! Scars remind me too so if I can ink over them all, I'm doing that.
    My PS is a Dr. Patel, and I have a huge back tattoo of Ganesha, the Hindu God of removing obstacles (ironic, huh?)
    When he got to marking me for surgery- he vocally debated having to cut into the tattoo or not for 2 minutes to himself. He loved the image, and the design....He never noticed it before. He finally said "I don't feel comfortable cutting the face of God" and he cut beautifully around it, skimming the outline!
    I also got to pick the music that I wanted to be played in the OR as I was going under! (That was a first! Whoever thought that up was very wise) - So I have this amazing doctor not wanting to cut up my tattoos and I'm wheeled into an OR playing a live Grateful Dead show from 1972. So awesome. I love my hospital and I love my PS :)
    I had to share that story. It's always nice to have a good memory from surgery I think.
    :)

My breasts have always been small, and I've always wanted those 36Ds I had when I was nursing my babies. lol.
    Not there yet, I think the path has been cleared though and I think a little augmentation at this point would be good for form and thinning out the scars. I had a hematoma with the original flap surgery and between that and rads- it looks like some weird Dali painting of a fried egg melting over a rock. I haven't had a normal breast on that side since the BMX ever.  I do miss cleavage. I joke to my PS before the first three surgeries asking "to go as big as you like, I have no problem." and I make that gesture with my hands in front of my chest like I'm in a Russ Meyer movie. I like making him laugh.

Artemis- isn't that weird feeling your back in your chest?! OMG.

I am off all painkillers and realize I was doing wayyyyy too much because I couldn't feel it...Now I am off all painkillers including cannabis and I'm feeling it ALL - and resting much more.
    I miss sleeping on my one side.
    Where do you ladies let your arms rest? Your lap? Next to you?
    I just want these drains out. They are gross! LOL.... I have to take it as easy as possible until my next follow up Tuesday.

Also- how long did everyone have as far as recovery went before you could drive?

I really miss working with my hands and using my drill and making jewelry.... argh.

• kfinnigan

DPiggy, I'm getting excited for your upcoming exchange.  Will you please let us know how your PS appt goes today?  Thinking of you.  

Hope everyone has a nice healing day!

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572

Mandala, I love your story about your PS cutting around your tattoo! He sounds like a wonderful man. Rest up and don't overdo it!

• raelan

Artemis and Mandela - so pleased to hear about the progress you are both making.  I hope to follow in your footsteps.

As of today I'm off all painkillers and am just using Tylenol to keep me comfortable.  Still sleeping a lot, but I suspect that's partly due to the amount of time I was in surgery (4 hours) as well as my body attempting to recover from all the trauma.  I've been able to use my right arm more and more with each passing day, although I'm still adhering to my PS's lifting restrictions and not raising my arm above shoulder level.  Was even able to use it to blow dry my hair today....although my hair looks like crap, but who cares Happy

I've still got quite a bit of swelling under my arm, but it seems to be decreasing slowly.  Still getting used to the numb feeling on my back.  Hopefully that will go away with time once my brain figures out how and where everything got rearranged.

All in all, I'm happy with the progress I'm making and have no regrets about choosing this particular surgery for my situation.

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

Moderators- It was nice of you to post the reconstruction link.  It would be even nicer if the pictures included the LD Flap as that's what we're having on this thread.

Artemis and Raelan - I hope all continues to go well for both of you.

2Tabbies - I have to have the LD because of an infection I developed after my exchange surgery.  I was so close to being done.  I'm having it on both sides because I had the implants removed on both sides.  Long stupid story on that one.

My PS said my surgery is on Thurs. and I go home Sat.  That's how he does it.  I am dreading the long car ride home.  After my BMX I screamed the entire way because I was so afraid my husband would break suddenly and jolt me.  

Mandala - My breasts have always been huge and this time I'm going much smaller.  It's a huge change in my body image.  I actually look much thinner with smaller boobs.

Ronna - I am still waiting for that good news from you.  This has been a terribly rough road for you.

I'm sorry I am not on here much everyone.  I'm working around the clock at work to get 6 weeks of work done in advance before my surgery.  I'm wishing everyone all the best.

• 2Tabbies

Dpiggy, it still amazes me that different docs have such different protocols. It sounds like your doc is extra careful. I'm kind of glad mine doesn't think that long a hospitalization including a stint in ICU is necessary. I'd go crazy especially in ICU where there is no privacy at all. And a catheter! Nooooo! I hate those especially with their risk if UTIs. You are much more tolerant than I am! 

Mandala, your doc sounds awesome. I love it that he he cut around your tattoo. Regarding the no scars, I think I was referring to the nurse who showed you the work he'd done on her that you referred to as good enough for a centerfold. I don't have any tattoos, but if I was into that, I'd definitely do it to cover the scars. The receptionist for one of my docs had a BMX without recon. One day when I came into the office, I noticed a beautiful peacock head poking out of the neckline of her dress. She'd gotten a really fabulous peacock tattoo over her whole chest. If I ever end up having to go flat, I might just consider that. My way of spitting in the eye of cancer. I was always small breasted too. At one time I thought that if I ever had a mastectomy, I might want to go a bit bigger with reconstruction, but not anymore. I just want something proportional to my frame and nicely shaped. I'd always been an A or maybe a bit bigger but not a full sized B. My PS thought I'd look good as a B. We'll see how it goes. Sounds like you overdid the activity a little. Rest! I know it's hard. I'm not a patient patient. What kind of jewelry do you make? I do beaded jewelry mostly with seed beads. I also do a lot of crocheting so I hope I'll be able to use my hands at least that much during my recover.

Raelan, hooray for being off pain killers and being able to dry your hair. As you said, who cares if it doesn't look the greatest. My hair grew back curly after chemo, and the one big benefit of that is that it is very easy care. Towel it dry and run my fingers through it. I give it a quick shot with the blow dryer only if I'm going out right away. I'm so glad you're happy with your experience so far. It would be nice to be pleased with something after the whole ordeal of cancer treatment. Regarding time spent under anesthesia, my PS said it would take about 5 hours. That seems awfully long although not as long as things like the GAP. I wonder how many brain cells I lose every time I go under general anesthesia. Maybe that explains the goofy way I think sometimes, eh?! ;-)

Warrior, thanks for the clarification on why you chose this route. Now I do remember you saying you had an infection. How frustrating that you were nearly done and had to start over. I'm sorry you have to work extra hard to get things done before surgery. I'm lucky that I have coworkers who can take care of it all while I'm gone. Two nights in the hospital sounds reasonable to me for this surgery. There's got to be a good middle ground between kicking people out of the hospital too soon to keep the insurance companies happy and making them stay longer than is really necessary. I'm actually quite curious how I'll feel after this surgery and how many days in the hospital will feel like enough.

Ronna, just want to say hello today and hope you're feeling ok.

• 2Tabbies

Moderators, I want to add my thanks for the link to the reconstruction page. I do agree with Warrior_Woman, that it would be great if you could add some before and after photos of women who have had an LD flap. In some ways, this procedure seems like the "also ran" of reconstruction procedures since so many women are having DIEPs and the other newer procedures. Don't forget about those of us who chose a different route for whatever reason.

• Andrea623

I would also like more photos of LD flap reconstruction. While I won't be having it till next year, I want to be as mentally and emotionally prepared as I can when the time comes. 

Does everyone get a catheter? I had one at my BMX, but never for any of my other surgeries.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and stories of your reconstruction journeys. It's very helpful to those of us who will be having the procedure in the future.

Love and blessings to all!

• 2Tabbies

Andrea, I agree with you on being as prepared as possible! I'm also wondering about the catheter. I had to have one for my hysterectomy and the follow up surgery to stage that cancer. I honestly can't remember one for my mastectomy. I'll have to ask my PS when when I go in for the preop visit. It is a long surgery since I'm having the LD flap on one side and TE placement on the other so maybe they have to place a catheter for that reason. I can live with that as long as it comes out just as soon as I'm able to get my sorry carcass to the bathroom!

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

I did not have a catheter after my BMX.

• raelan

in regards to a catheter, I don't recall whether or not I had one with my BMX, but definitely did not have one with my lat flap.  In some ways this worked against me because I ended up needing a bolus while in recovery due to low blood pressure, then they continued to pump me full of fluid for the remainder of the night.  Thus, I had to get up every 1.5-2 hours to go to the bathroom.  Had to call the nurse each time since I had the lower leg compression garments on that the nurse had to remove each time.  I finally got defiant and took the darned things off myself, then wrestled them back on after I got back in bed (one armed mind you since my right arm was pretty non-functional at that point.).  I guess the upside to all this activity right out of the gate is it got things moving around in my system more quickly.  I'm not the best patient Loopy 

• Andrea623

Raelan, I was looking for the "Like" on your post! Guess I've been on Facebook too much.

I know I had a catheter at my BMX, cause after it was pulled, I had to go to the bathroom about every half hour, due to the IV that was still in me. It was embarrassing calling for help so often. If I had felt better, I would've done what you did, and just gone on my own.

• Andrea623

2Tabbies, after all my surgeries, I wonder how many brain cells I've lost too. Some days it sure seems like a lot!

• 2Tabbies

Raelan, you and I are the same kind of patient. I'd have ripped those leg compression devices off too. I know why they're important, but I hate them. After my second ovarian cancer surgery, the tubing for those things kept getting caught on the bed frame. I felt like I was in restraints. Plus, they are so hot. They make me sweat and itch. Ugh. I'd have ripped them off then probably called the nurse and let her/him deal with putting them back on. Here's to being an independent, ornery patient! 

Andrea, I like to blame my brain cell loss on the 70s, but that's all talk. I was a pretty mild partier. I'm sure multiple anesthesias have done worse things to my brain.

• DPiggy

Hi Kfinnigan - appt today w/ my PS went well - thanks for asking.  We spent almost an hour together going over her list as well as mine.  My surgery is scheduled for 10/29 & will be approximately 3-3 1/2 hours long.  She plans on using "Mentor something something" gel implants; my notes are in the car, & I'm too lazy to get them right now.  She also said she is considering another type of Mentor implant and researching to see if that is the better option.  Basically, I'll know the day of the surgery.  She doesn't expect I will have any issues w/ infection (I hope not), since I have done so well w/ my TE's, & they are in the same family as the Mentor implants.  What I didn't realize was that she had decided what implants she was going to use prior to the LD surgery & that determined the TE's that I have.  We revisited restrictions again, ones I am all too familiar w/, but she assured me recovery is nothing compared to the LD.  I will have 2 drains (one on each side), & she expects those will come out by the following Monday.  I will be wearing a reconstruction bra following surgery & pretty much 24/7 for 3 months.  Was happy to hear no ace bandage!  I had to wear that for about 2-3 weeks w/ prior surgery due to seroma on front left side, & I was miserable.  To date, she has not steered me wrong, & I have complete faith in her.  I'm counting down the days...

• 2Tabbies

DPiggy, it sounds like you had a good appointment and are all set to complete this marathon. Yay for no ace bandage! I hated the tube top type binder I had after my mastectomy. I'll have to ask my PS what I'll wake up wearing. He's planning on using Sientra shaped implants when I get that far. At least that's what he showed me at my first appointment, and the book he gave me to read about implants was from Sientra. I want to ask him how he decides which type to use. I know a lot of women are very involved in researching the different types and choosing something. This is one subject that I don't care to research all that much. This doc has been rebuilding boobs for decades, and I'll rely on his experience. The one thing I will do is make sure he's clear on how I want to look afterward so he can choose the best way to aim for that target. I don't blame you for counting the days.

• Artemis17
    Artemis17 Member Posts: 30

Morning all my fellow LD-ers :-).

Lots of posts to catch up on,  l apologise if I don't cover them all, my smart phone is actually a stupid phone and doesn't switch screens too well!!. 

Thanks as always for the good wishes. Pain wise I'm pretty ok although I've got a haematoma on my back and had it drained at the ER Thursday,  210mls off and i think I will be back there again today as its filled right up and causes more discomfort than the surgery. 

2tabbies & Andrea, I was on bed rest for 2 days and had both a catheter and the awful velco leg things to prevent DVT. Hated the catherter especially it hanging on the bed when visitors came. Mind you it was nice not having to get up through the night to pee gaha..when I to get up resulted me fainting with BP of 60 and needing a transfusion so I had to put up with it. Our heath service is really good here in the UK but sometimes you do feel a "patient" for a long time. Hospital is good when you don't feel well but once you start to recuperate,  home is far better. Nice not to have to cook for a few days though.!

My scars are fabulous. Boob and uplift are pale pink already,  back scar is red but once glue comes off I'm told it fades quickly. 

Im confused with you girls who have had the LD and expander, when you talk about the exchange is that not major surgery again or has the LD flap already settled?. I don't have an implant, the TE saved the skin since last May & the flap has made a 36B/C which once the swelling goes will be fat filled to round it out.  I'm slim but had well developed back muscle from combat/fitness classes so PS said from the get go I'd get a good result.  My hospital is one of the top plastic centres in the whole country & they specialise in burns and military treatment so have a tremendous reputation. Also made me very humble when you see the folk adjusting to terrible wounds and new limbs. 

I digress anyway...I agree would be nice to see some LD pics too. Most people over here have dieps or implants only which is why I joined this forum. 

Mandela love your PS & your tattoos. :-)

Dpiggy, not long to go now,  I felt like it was a long wait but as soon as I was "nil by mouth" the time flew. My surgery was 6 hours but that included uplift on good side. Im 2 weeks post surgery Monday and don't know where the times gone. I've got sick pay so will be off work a few weeks yet. Someone asked about driving?. Theres no way I could drive just now,  mind you my cars manual with gear stick on left (im left LD) so maybe easier over there.  I can walk about ok but can't twist my torso or bend from the back at all yet. 

Well,  have a good weekend ladies and catch up soon. 

Xxx

• MandalaB
    MandalaB Member Posts: 52

2Tabbies, I make seaglass jewelry from all the seaglass I find here on the beach in the fall. :) I drill it all and wire it and I really miss doing it- One morning after surgery my husband took me at sunrise (I live 2 miles from the ocean) and I walked a good mile and picked up seaglass- dumb idea! But it still felt good :) They say ocean air helps heal surgical wounds 20% faster. So maybe I canceled the damage out? lol.

I had a catheter with my first big surgery, the BMX>recon aall at once (7 hours)- was in the ICU for 1 night right after surgery--- I had surgery Friday and was home by Sunday. They removed it right before I left. Not a fan.

This LD surgery I had a catheter (surgery was only 4 hours) during surgery- but it was removed before I woke up. I also went home by Sunday- but had no ICU stay this time.
    My PS also left my front incisions out in the air (the scabs are falling off now), and took the bandage off my back after 24 hours to air out.  I had to get up and pee with help at first, but eventually I mastered it. My PS also had me out of bed with both surgeries as soon as I could. He is very very cautious about clots. Had the hospital bed compression things- and I was also sent home with a 21 day blood thinner shot a day Rx (Lovenox). I made sure to read the ingredients prior, but they shot me up with it before I was leaving- and I waited since I read the stuff had pork serum in it and I'm deathly allergic to animal serums in drugs. I had an instant reaction of giant hives starting on the wrist of the operated side and started going up my arm fairly quickly.  I was delayed a bit for the benadryl to kick in. That was fun.

And one of my drains stopping filling up today after I just took 2 days to lie down and seriously stop doing stuff. It's not easy with 2 young kids needing stuff all the time (12 & 4) .... Yay! .... 2 weeks out  at this point and it's some serious recovery and a LOT more left.
    I miss doing my eyebrows. I look just like my dad right now.

If patience is a virtue, then we all deserve to be sainted. lol.

• 2Tabbies

Artemis, good to hear from you. The exchange surgery happens months after the initial surgery for the LD flap so that part is healed. Basically, they just have to open up the pockets, take out the TEs and put in the permanent implants. So it's less of a major surgery than the LD flap. It's great you don't need an implant under your flap. I know I won't be on 2 days of bed rest after my LD flap. Over here, they really want us out of bed the day after surgery if possible. 

Mandala, I've seen sea glass jewelry. Very pretty. Probably not a good idea to attempt it now though! That's awful about your reaction to the Lovenox. Didn't they ask you about allergies? Good grief. I'm glad I don't have kids to take care of right now. Can the 12 year old do some of the caring for the 4 year old? Resting sounds like it did the trick with the drains. I agree we're all candidates for sainthood in the patience department.