Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

Just met with my PS.  Refilling my expanders after a deflate for Rads  Geez I got a 150cc today to bring me up to 650.  

I clarified my earlier question today with him.  My doc has a technique when he opens the mastectomy incision a little further into the axilla and 'reaches' to the LD to harvest a piece.  

• raelan
    raelan Member Posts: 84

Vivian - So glad to hear you're recovering well and pleased with your outcome.   Fat frafting can result in some pretty significant bruising, but rest assured, it's temporary.  Having been through fat grafting twice already, I'm all too familiar with it.

jbokland - Welcome to this forum.  I've heard of lat flaps that don't involve making an incision in the back, but believe it's a relatively new technique that can only be used under certain conditions.  If you need any additional skin (such as those of us who have had radiation), then it's probably not a technique that would work.  However, as you learn more about this, please share the details.  

kfinnigan - Guess which bras I also have several of.....yes indeed, the Jockey bra you posted a link to.  Like minds, huh?  I also found some similar bras at Nordstrom Rack for $5 each.  Yes, I love a good bargain!

Mandala - Thanks for sharing the link to the back massage technique.  I've actually seen that one before and definitely intend to use it ince my back and scar are all healed.

• 2Tabbies
    2Tabbies Member Posts: 927

Kfinnigan, go to leonardplasticsurgery.com and you will see the alleged breast king.  

Linda, thanks for your response.  I hope I am as lucky in regaining function.  I can't imagine why that site said what it did unless it's true for some people.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had to "adapt".  I wasn't looking for info on complications when I stumbled on that particular site. I was actually trying to find photos of someone whose situation is similar to mine - delayed recon after radiation.  Most of the lat flap photos I'm finding were immediate recon many with skin and even nipple sparing mastectomies. I won't look like those women and would like to see more photos of what I might look like. Even the photos of delayed recon that I'm finding don't say they're post-radiation. I understand what you mean about staying off the Internet, but I'm afraid I can't completely take that advice. After making a bad decision last year based on only what the PS told me, I need to make sure I know everything up front.  Ignorance may be bliss, but often it's temporary bliss! Strength problems while recuperating like you described are ok. The permanent need to "adapt" how I do things isn't. Thanks again for the benefit of your experience. 

Vivian, I'm glad everything went well. Take it easy and heal up. I look forward to the day I can say my breasts look great! 

• DPiggy
    DPiggy Member Posts: 132

kfinnigan - my PS intentionally waits 3 months from last fill to exchange.  At first I wasn't too happy because I wanted to loose the TE's as soon as possible, but now I understand why.  Definitely stretched the skin, which is also very soft, obviously the outcome she wanted for the implants. 

• jbokland

I did have radiation and he is doing this procedure.  It's his new standard of care. 

My PS has a minimum of 3 weeks after refill to do the exchange.  Just want to get this over with!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565

Hi gals:

Linda54: : I was told to stay off the internet as well, even far back as diagnosis.  

For some reason since late yesterday I almost feel normal but do not want to jinx myself.  My taped up side is beginning to feel apart of me.  When I see PS I know exactly what to tell him.  Wore a regular sports bra today and was able to deal .

Mandala and 2Tabies, thanks for the info on videos for bras and scar tissue, which I am queen of.  I can directly point to my scar tissue area still.  Not as bad as before this surgery, and reason for this surgery.

I definitely think I need a little fg as well. PS might not go for it, and I have never had the chance to be tatooed b/c of all surgs. 

Love to all and keep healing Will be checking back in.  

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572

Jeanette, welcome to our group! I haven't heard of a lat flap done through the breast incision. Is this a new procedure? I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

Vivian, welcome home! I'm glad to hear the breasts are looking good. After all the fat grafting, you're probably feeling pretty beat up. Be sure to take it easy, take your pain meds, and rest up. I'm looking forward to hearing how you're doing as you begin to heal.

I have several of those Jockey bras too! I got them when I still had TEs and they were so comfortable! I forgot about them, because it packed them up when I went back to regular bras. I'm going to have to dig through my plastic bins and find them.

Kari and DPiggy, thank you for the information on the pocket needed for the LD flap. I wish my first PS had told me to go with the flap, but he only does implant reconstruction, so maybe that's why he didn't mention it. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Ronna, I'm sorry you're still having pain. I hope you start feeling better soon, and that your PS can offer some help when you see him next week.

Love to all!

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

Glad you are done and doing OK Vivian. Rest up and take it easy.

2Tabbies, I see you are up north.  My in-laws live in the Portland area and we pass through Salem a couple of times a year.  The alleged breast king better take good care of you!

DPiggy, It makes sense for your PS to have the 3 month wait time protocol.  My PS said for me he wants a longer wait time so the 3 months I will be waiting is fine with me, because like you said the skin softens the longer it rests.

jbokland, its interesting how each PS has a different standard.  Do you know how much longer you be will be filling the TE?

Ronna, I'm glad you are feeling better.

Hugs to all!!

• jbokland

I am supposed to add another 150cc.  Hope I can tolerate it!   

• 2Tabbies

kfinnigan, shall I warn my PS you might show up? Happy

Mandala, I finally had a chance to watch the massage video you linked. It looks useful. I wonder if it should be done the same way with an oblique scar. My PS doesn't do the horizontal one. 

jbokland, good luck with the fills. I hope they're tolerable. I can't wait to find out what those are like. Not. If I'm remembering correctly what my PS said when I first saw him, I'll be doing that for about 6 months.

Hope everyone else is doing well today.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    Hello all,
    2 days post grafting and tightening. Lefty is pretty swollen.
    Left Breast very firm to touch and nice round top, Right not as firm/round due to port. I think I was 20 when my breasts were that high and round. I am probably a full C, which is ok with me, I was dd/f. My PS is a no bra guy and Im kinda gettting use to it. I have tried my old one which are just way too big.
    My donor sights hurt like heck, like a huge bruise being touched. I feel best when I am still. But I have walked a bit around house and I go to ONC tomorrow and Herceptin. If I keep taking meds every 4-5 hours it is much better.

I will ask her about follow up testing for Diep and lat breast in the future. and see what her opinion is.

Take care all and sleep well,
    Vivian
  • 2Tabbies

Vivian, I saw some photos of a woman who'd had lipsuction for fat grafting. She looked like she'd had the crap beat out of her so I'm not surprised you hurt. Keep taking those pain meds as directed. This is a former nurse talking. It's way easier to keep the pain under control than play catch up.

jbokland, I'm the woman who pulled her prosthesis out of her bra and flopped it on the counter. Then there's the nipples or not question...This was pretty good. I wish they'd have had a stage IV woman in the last part. They're survivors too even if only temporarily. All of us on this planet are only temporary survivors.

I almost forgot. I like the part with the wine. I raise my glass to all of you! I've got no breast tissue left, so cheers!

• jbokland

Bravo 2Tabbies!  Great job and know it's hot on FB right now!  I also shared on my Sassy Head product page!

It's not nearly as fun but I did get published in the Huffington Post yesterday!

http://blog.thebreastcancersite.com/stuff-breast-cancer-surviors-say/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=bcsfan&utm_campaign=stuff-breast-cancer-surviors-say&utm_term=20141021#KVAucghxaUvFEH80.01

• jbokland

my PS wants me sleeping in a recliner for 4 weeks...guess it's time to shop for one. Used or rental are not an option for this germaphobe!  My doc is super conscientious as well. He even recommends a new shower head before you have that first post op shower! 

I was a bit horrified when he talked about any LF.  I was hoping for a simple exchange since I am doing well after rads, although that breast has really crept up higher...lovely in my Tshirts!

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

Thanks for the video link jbokland and congrats on being published in Huffington Post!

Cheers to you 2Tabbies!  

• 2Tabbies

jbokland, getting on HuffPo is great! Congrats!  My PS hadn't better tell me I need a recliner.  I have no room for one. I agree on rentals, but I'd be more worried about bed bugs than germs. And a new shower head? Really? Maybe I can just soak mine in bleach if that's an issue. It's one of the detachable ones on a hose. I was horrified when told I should get a lat flap also. Still not too happy, but it's my only option so onward.

• Artemis17
    Artemis17 Member Posts: 30

Hello all...

Love the link jbokland...isn't it scary how many younger women are diagnosed.  Ok so the detection rates are better but even so.  I became friends with a group of girls from all over the UK who all went through chemo at the same time and we've stayed in touch via a fbook group and actually had 2 meet ups. The support of others going through the same thing is essential to coping.  

Even though I'm several oceans away from you all, I appreciate being able to share experiences and get hints and tips too.

I had my back drained for the 5th time today,  but it is starting to slow down,  hoping to get a decent nights sleep soon.  Although my scars are healing well,  there is a bit of tethering so I'm hoping regular self massage will help. Does anyone have any other ideas??.

A recliner sounds nice but I have been fine with a V pillow and several other pilows scattered around me for support. 

Vivian,  how much fat grafting did you have done?. I will have this further down the line but didn't even think about it hurting....doh. I hope you recover soon & feel it's a good job done & worth the pain. :-)

Xx

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

What was I saying?

Loopy

• Andrea623

Jeanette, I loved the video! Congratulations on being published. That's an accomplishment to be proud of.

Artemis, you've been drained five times? Wow! I'm sure glad it's slowing down!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565

Hi ladies, I rec'd my coobies bras today.  Not much support for me as required but I love them. thank you.

I think I am all ahead of your guys with implants, etc.  I was filled almost 4 1/2 years ago before exchange.  It is just my scar tissue that destroyed me.  I went to my Pain Management fellow yesterday for bad back yesterday who also has injected my breast for scarring.  He knew I had this latest procedure but when I told him I don't really feel the "scar" area, he did say now that's an improvment and I told him about the pocket mishap with breast falling out.  Really not as bad now.  he said you just don't catch a break.  

Still love reading your posts, there is quite a sisterhood here and I enjoy this thoroughly.  However, I went to my therapist today who told me they are creating a breast cancer survivor group for Jewish gals in my area. Would I want to join/ and or as it is being created any comments or thoughts.  I said I do not want any part of it b/c of my history. I would not want to depress anyone. I told her of how I got to this latest procedure.  I told her I am more comfortable with the girls on site, and i really want to put this all behind me.  Hoopefully fixing the pocket will be it, G-d willing.  I cried when i told her how I knew nothing at diagnosis and I am angry that I went with the wrong reconstruction option as I look back. However, cannot go back, putting it behind me.  Wiser for it too.

We also discussed and she agreed that other patients of hers said the bc doctors and ps have made quite a business out of our   cancer issues.  Uh Oh, rambling..

Oh well, loving my new coobie bra, never heard of it, enjoy not being stifled in gym or surgical bra.

Love to all, will be on agin and I am getting better each day. Have to say that with definite positivity. Waiting for Tuesday to see the PS  

• Andrea623

For those looking for body shapers, I posted this on the Exchange thread, but I'm copying and pasting it here too. I hope my review helps if you're looking for a shaper!

I bought two camisole body shapers. One is the Genie shaper, the other is a Sweet Nothings shaper. I'm a solid size 8, and I have broad shoulders. I first tried on the Genie, which was a bit of a struggle, but once on, it was pretty comfortable, but a little tight in my underarm area. I bought a medium, but I think a large would be more comfortable. I had to have my husband help me get it off, cause my shoulder and arm has limited mobility. I then tried on the Sweet Nothings, which I bought in a large. Good grief, I could barely wiggle into the thing! Once on, it fit nicely in the bust, but was pretty tight around my middle, where I have a rather well developed spare tire. I about needed grease and a crow bar to get out of the thing! I'm thinking I'll order another Genie in large, so it'll be comfortable in my underarm area. I just don't want to feel like an overstuffed sausage in it.

Ronna, I'm glad the Coobie is working out well for you. I wish you weren't having pain issues still, and if hope with time it'll get better. I too am glad for my BC sisters on this site. It's so good to be able to share my feelings, both good and negative, with those who understand. 

• zennurse
    zennurse Member Posts: 6

hi. I had LD flap surgery monday, 3 days ago. I've been reading about folks not putting their arms above shoulder height. I don't recall being told not to lift my arms overhead....which I have been doing. My arm and chest was so tight prior to capsulotomy at time if surgery, I'm paranoid my arm will stiffen up again! Maybe they did tell me not to raise my arms...my brain feels fried from stress, chemo! Hopefully I haven't messed anything up. 

I'm only 4 days out, so everything still looks scary, swollen and strange. I've learned from prior surgeries to not have too high expectations.  Hoping to look somewhat "normal" eventually.  Definitely encouraging to read the thread and know I'm not alone. 

• Andrea623

Hi Zennurse! I'm glad to hear you're home. You must be feeling pretty good if you can raise your arms above shoulder level. I haven't had the LD yet, but for each of my surgeries, I was told not to bring my arms up above my shoulders right away. Rest up, and I look forward to reading your updates!

• raelan
    raelan Member Posts: 84

ronqt - So nice to hear from you.  You sound positive and upbeat, even though I know you are continuing to struggle with recovering from your surgery.  Just goes to show you how strong us cancer survivors are! 

• 2Tabbies

Artemis, do you think they took the drains out too soon? That must be really tiresome not to mention painful.

Ronna, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. It's awful to have regrets. I have some as well. As you said, best to put them behind us, but it's not always easy. I hope you continue to heal.

Andrea, I had to laugh at your "overstuffed sausage" comment. That's the way I feel about "shapewear" in general. I'd have never bought any except I was trying to find something more comfortable than mastectomy bras that would also help with some underarm lymphedema should it return. At least we're heading into the cooler months. No way would I wear them in the summer.

Zennurse, welcome home. I don't recall being told not to raise my arms above my shoulders after my mastectomy, but maybe I've forgotten. I didn't have any trouble with range of motion that time so I just did what felt ok. I know what you mean about wanting to look normal. You're not alone there. I always liked my breasts and thought they were one part of my body that I wouldn't change at all. Why couldn't I have gotten butt cancer?? I wouldn't have minded if some of that was cut off. (Joking! Well, mostly.) I don't want to get my expectations up either, but I'd desperately love to be able to look in the mirror without getting slapped with cancer. It's got to be scary the first few days after surgery especially. I hope you end up looking way better than your expectations!

• Artemis17
    Artemis17 Member Posts: 30

2tabbies, I asked my team the same thing but they said it couldn't be predicted as I'd "dried up" before I left hospital. Because I had stopped draining at the front within 3 days and my back by 5 days they took the drains out.  Once I got home the large solid haematoma started to break up so that's what the fluid is. It is starting to be less bloody & us a brown colour now so apparently that's easier for the body to reabsorb.

Hopefully it'll slow down,  it's certainly less swooshy and I'm doing my exercises religiously so starting to see progress. 

Bet you're getting excited now for your surgery. Make the most of the weekend & enjoy waving your arms about haha..!!

X

• 2Tabbies

Artemis, that all sounds annoying, but at least it seems like you're getting to the end of it. Progress is good!

I'm getting really impatient to have my surgery and get this process started. Monday is just the preop then 2 more weeks of waiting. I will especially enjoy my swims over the next two weeks though. Plenty of "arm waving" in the pool!

• WindingRoad
    WindingRoad Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards but hoping I can get some insight and advice from all of you. My signature has most of my history, but basically I'm in the midst of delayed reconstruction. I had only 1 expander placed at the time of my mastectomy because the tumor was much larger than anticipated and they didn't want to take any chances. Fast forward 3 years and I'm just now filling my one expander with the lat flap being my only recon option as I was radiated. It's a scary option though, as I'm very thin and don't have very much skin to offer. PS is confident it can be done, the risks of complications are just higher. I'm 27, marriedwith a toddler and I'm very, very nervous about what life will be like post surgery. We don't have family local to us and my husband works a ton. Just had another fill this morning and my PS said 2 months of recovery, and a good while of not lifting my daughter. Can anybody give me some pointers and realistic expectations with this surgery? I've considered just exchanging my one side and living without recon on the radiated side. I just don't want to make the wrong choice.

• 2Tabbies

WindingRoad, welcome to our little group. I'm sorry you have a need to be here with us on what is truly a winding road. Good name choice. I can't give any pointers from my own experience since I haven't had my surgery yet. I just know that two different PS's have assured me that I don't need to worry about strength issues. I know how scary it is to worry about making the wrong choice. The lat flap is also my only option, and I have the same worries. I've just decided to have faith in what the PS's said. From what I've read on these boards and elsewhere, the majority of women who have this surgery are happy with the results and don't feel they have any strength issues once they've fully recovered. I sympathize with not having any family nearby to help. I'm in that same boat, but I don't have children to care for. Will your husband be able to take any time off to help with the child care right after your surgery? Do you have a friend or neighbor who could help? I'm hoping some one else can jump in with some answers for you.