Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

Heidi:  Even though I probably won't be able to mae the trip, many hotels give discounts for a block of rooms and also an additional discount for booking in advance, just like they do for weddings and business meetings and maybe this can greatly reduce costs!

Lovelyface:  What great news!!!!

I have my upcoming remaining reconstruction surgery scheduled for 2/22 so I am hoping all goes well and hopefully I will be closer to being "done".

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Holiday Inn Washington Capital has CBF package. Check it out:

http://reservations.washington.org/2209_hotel-info_h14581.html

Rooms are $200/night double occupancy. 

Think Mandarin is $400/night for 4--- so, same price. *Really* nice place but that would be 4 to a room. Too many? 2 better? Anyone want/need single only? Money mouth

Head is spinning... will wait for feedback from you guys. Thoughts?

MBJ I know, but that would require a definite commitment from people and we are still in the early phase of planning.Once I get specific feedback I plan to contact the hotels and go from there, hoping to get an even better deal as you mention.

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2011

I still think you should consider checking out Priceline for a motel.  I really believe you can cut those numbers in almost half... however, I will also say it may be difficult to get a block of rooms on Priceline.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

DC trip Update: April 8-10

OK, based on a day's worth of research and several people's input I have booked four (4) rooms for the Weekend Rate at:

Washington Marriott at Metro Center
    775 12th Street NW
    Washington, District Of Columbia 20005
    USA
    Phone: 1-202-737-2200
    Fax: 1-202-347-5886

HERE'S THE DEAL: I have requested all rooms be in proximity to each other

2 rooms are being held at the $289 per night rate 1-4 adults allowed NO breakfast allowance

2 rooms are being held at the $309 per night rate 1-4 adults allowed WITH breakfast allowance

I will be taking a room with the breakfast option and welcome a room mate to share the cost.

So, there is potential for as many as 16 participants  but obviously 2 per room would be best IMO (for a total of 8).

Right now we have about 6 interested people. The rooms can be canceled with no charge up until 6 pm April 8th. The rooms are being held under my name.

Here's what you need to do:

PM me when you know your plans. The rooms are being held under my name. I will give you my last name and you can then contact the hotel yourself and take one of the rooms and pay for it.

If I don't have commitment to cover 4 rooms I will cancel whatever is left unclaimed upon my arrival that day with no penalty to me.

Is this clear? The hotel is 1.5 miles from the Tidal Basin where the CBF takes place. It is located by a Metro station. Parking is $34 per day but $45 with a van or SUV. I will probably have my husband drop me off and pick me up to save on ridiculous parking fees since everything is so close and driving in DC is typically a nightmare.

If we need more rooms I can probably get them for awhile (and hopefully in proximity to the ones we already have on hold), but his will change, as they do book up as  CBF nears.

I am really excited by this, and I hope you are too! I want to reiterate that anyone not comfortable with these plans has the option of checking out the links I provided earlier and making their own reservations.

See you in April!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2011

Heidi - The W is "W Hotel" - not a westin but in the westin/starwood family.  Typically a step up from westin in terms of quality.

That Mandarin looks amazing and such a terrific location.  But a bit pricey. 

eta:  Just checked out the marriott. It looks nice and is an a great location.  It is actually right around the corner from the W.  I am not going to book right now.  Will probably be something I decide a couple of weeks in advance.  I hope I can work it out.  It sounds like a lot of fun. 

• dawn31337
    dawn31337 Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2011
    Heidi, I do agree about the timing, it certainly is beautiful with the cherry blossoms in bloom.  Also, for those of you who have never been here, there are TONS of things to do and most are free...including the Smithsonian, the National Zoo, etc, etc.  I don't believe they let visitors in the White House anymore, but you may want to write your Congressman or Senator as they used to send tickets to those who asked.
    I would strongly suggest using the Metro to get around.  You won't end up in a place you don't want to be in, and you won't have the aggravation of finding a place to park.  The Metro serves the city very well, so there is no need to actually have a hotel room *in* DC. 
  • sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Our family went there in 2009 (a few weeks before the mammogram that started this whole mess). We flew into BWI and stayed at the Airport Marriott because we were going on a cruise out of Baltimore a few days later.  We took the commuter traing to Washington and it was pretty quick. So, I'm thinking of getting a cheap flight on Southwest from Buffalo to BWI.  I'm pretty much game to stay anywhere.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Irr4993- the rooms will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis until April 8 at 6 pm, when I'll cancel those that don't get taken.

So, rest assured that it isn't necessary for you to jump right into reserving. What I've done is simply bought a little time for everyone to think about it.

For those who may choose a different hotel we'll try and figure out some central meeting place on Saturday: something BIG, and EASY to find...lol

I do hope *someone* decides to room with me though! Laughing

• lrr4993
    edited February 2011

Will let you know heidi.  If I were not on vacation the week before this, I would not hesitate.  Thanks for putting this together!

Lisa 

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Heidi - thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I am really going to try and be there.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Way to go Lovely Face!  Good news again!  YAY

Sleeping with your pets unhealthy..ha ha...I love having my cat sleep with us...He has the run of the bed..we move for him..I can't believe he sleeps that long actually..from 10 until 6 am..he doesn't move.

Thinking about the trip Heidi..I am not one to do things in advance..I've got to think about it..

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

MBJ - I had no idea that you still have to go through some left over reconstruction surgery. 2/22 is not far, so it will be over soon.  Do they do reconstruction in several steps, even for the type you have?  I know the implants and expander ones take several several steps.  But yours sounds different than all the other ones I have read about.  If you don't mind, if eventually I do decide to have bilat. mx, I hope you will tell me in detail about your procedure.  I am not there yet, keeping my fingers crossed waiting for results of my genetic tests.  I am hoping I won't need to have any mx, but we'll see how everything goes.  My best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Heidi - your trip sounds wonderful, wish I could join you all, but I am here, all the way in California.  It sure sounds like a lot of fun.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Titan:  Ha!  One cat at our feet and one at my head and the two of us squished in between.  Wouldn't have it any other way.

Heidi:  Thanks for all of your hard work but man is that pricey!  I guess Washington is equal to New York in hotel prices?

Lovelyface:  Yes, reconstruction is a long process.  First the MX with expanders put in, then 5 months of stretching,then the exchange surgey which is usually outpatient, then 6 months later nipples & aerolas and then 3 -6 months later tattoos for color.  And this is if you don't have radiation.  If you have radiation let's just say it can be a couple years.  It's a long journey and I just want to be done.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

MBJ- I was happy to look into things because either way I plan on going, as it is something I've thought about doing before and "there's no time like the present" as the saying goes. I've earned it! It would be nice to meet some of the gals in here but I understand if circumstances prevent it.

I plan on taking lots of pictures & video, as that is something else I enjoy doing. If I'm/we're lucky the timing will be right, the cherry blossoms will be in full bloom and the weekend will be wonderful.

I planted this type of cherry tree in my backyard and it is SO beautiful in bloom. I look forward to seeing hundreds of them throughout DC.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited February 2011

I woke up yesterday throwing up, like Exorcist style!  So awful.  I could barely get out of bed and I ached all over.  I didn't feel that bad while on chemo!  My mom came over and brought me some Gatorade and some food.  The Gatorade didn't stay down... ugh!!!  I called my onco because I was thinking I could take my anti-nausea meds.  She wasn't sure if I had food poisoning or the stomach flu.  I was ok to take Zofran.  After that, I didn't get sick anymore.  I'm still feeling yucky today, but a little better. 

Titan - I have 3 cats and a dog in bed with me right now.  I love my animals!  :)

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Kittycat - I woke up to a similar feeling when I was on vacation in New Orleans.  I'm certain my was food poisoning, too.  I ended up sick in bed for New Years Eve but it only lasted 24 hours and I was on the mend by the next morning. Hang in there...food poisoning was worse than chemo, in my opinion.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Sugar:  Food poinsoning IS worse then chemo.  Yuck!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

test

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

FWIW I have just spent a large part of the day deleting posts in here. As you may recall I was *appalled* to see many of my BC.org posts show up in a Search Engine under my former user name. That is WAY too much information out in cyberspace for my comfort level. So, you will see a lot of "Deleted by" messages in my earlier posts.

• MIchelle67
    MIchelle67 Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2011

Hi everyone. Its been a week since I visited and wanted to drop by to see how you guys are doing. I'm glad to see MBJ, Kittycat, Kelben, Titan, HeidiToo, Lovely, Irr, Sugar, cc -- and all of you are here, and that a D.C. trip is in the works for spring.

I'm only 2 -1/2 hours from there, but am not sure I'll be in any shape to turn up. The cherry blossoms are amazing, though, and totally worth the trip. Lots of good shopping, restaurants and night life in D.C. too. 

My bc ride has veered off course and I'm still playing the "what is it?!" game with what is now being called a 'neoplasm of unknown significance, brain and spinal.' Yay, fun. Basically, it could be bad...or it could be nothing. I hate this game. I switch sides by the minute - am by turns brave & bold or on the verge of tears and despair. Major suckage. I am no fun to be around.

I now get to have a VTI CT scan of my head - and I have to travel to Philadelphia to have one since my local hospital doesn't have the technology. Its used in endoscopic sinus surgery, just in case you wanna know, and I'm still hoping this 'neoplasm' is some benign leftover weirdness from sinus surgery I had 10 years ago. Seeing Univ. of Penn's neurology and otolaryngology docs/chairmen on Tuesday - one other thing this experience has taught me: I know way more about my own body than I ever wanted to! :)

I hope you all have a great weekend. If you live somewhere warm, please walk outside without 17 layers and think of us gals in the sub-zero ice. I cannot wait for spring....and maybe those blossoms.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

Michelle I am so sorry you are having to WAIT again.   I am in the same boat, so I will sit with you and we can wait together... ok?

• MIchelle67
    MIchelle67 Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2011

Oh man, Kathy, you're still waiting TOO?

Yes, grab a seat next to me. Let's hide under some soft, warm blankets and watch mindless, distracting movies. (I wish!!!)

We can't really hang out like that, but I'd love to be your wait buddy. I guess this is the post-bc way, forever. I still can't really wrap my head around that.

• lrr4993
    edited February 2011

Michelle - so sorry to hear that.  I know you are very stressed right now.  Waiting is truly the worst part.  I will be thinking of you and hoping it turns out to be the nothing.  Please let us know.  

You too Kelben.  I know you have been waiting a while. Ugh!! 

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2011

Kathy and Michelle:

If cyber hugs and nothing but good thoughts and heavy duty wishes work, you both have all I can give.  Hang in there sisters, and stay strong.  We are all here waiting with you.

Linda

• kelben
    edited February 2011

Thanks you guys we really need your positive vibs.    Michelle we could eat brownies and ice cream?  Pizza and beer,  chicken wings and fries, rum and coke, peanut butter and jam on graham crackers.... any other ideas???

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited February 2011

My grandson, Adam, was born today :)

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

Michelle,  I am just gonna think that it is some benign stuff from your prior surgery 10 years ago, I won't even think it is anything else.  I was wondering if you had had a PetScan yet and whether anything had showed up at that time?  Everybody is given different checkups I notice. I had a petscan right after my lumpectomy, had a few things showing up, nothing scary.

Kelben - great idea, eating all those delicious stuff while waiting, great idea, mmmmm!  Huge piece of moist chocolate cake?  You go girl!!!!  We all have our fingers crossed for both of you.

I recently had good news, my Ultrasound and Mammo came out negative after diagnosis 6 months ago, so if I can get news, any one of you can too.  Best Wishes and enjoy all the good food, guiltfree!

• kelben
    edited February 2011

Oh my gawd, he is beautiful...congrat. Claire

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Claire- lovely photo! Congrats!

kelben & michelle- thinking of you; the waiting s*cks.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited February 2011

Claire - congrats on your grandson.  He is so precious!  It is so great to celebrate a new life!!!

Kelben and Michelle - I'm keeping good thoughts for you both.  Stupid Stupid waiting and breast cancer!!!!  UGH!!!!

Good news is I lost 3 lbs this week being sick and all.  I'll probably gain it back on Superbowl Sunday - LOL!!!