Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

MBJ- thanks for the blueberry recipe--- I forwarded it to the cook in the house-- my husband.

Lovelyface- I had the itchies during and after chemo. I still sleep with a back scratcher!

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

1)..Kathy and Michelle..I really feel that BOTH of you will receive good news..my ONC told me that I could have a scan if I requested one but he said all it would do would freak me out because these scans find EVERYTHING and everyone has weird things floating around in them..to tell you the absolute honest truth..I really don't want to know...supposed to have a colonoscopy soon but haven't scheduled that either..I'm just too freaking chicken!!  I'm am just NOT ready to go through the anxieties again...I'm already freaking out about a mammogram in May...

2)..The itchies..my back itches..right where I can't get to it..I really think that it is the dry and cold weather at this point...

3) Leukemia...yes...I've heard that this can happen due to rads/chemo..scary isn't it? But..what is done..is done..and I still would have done the treatments....

4)  Blueberries..I like them..as soon as I heard that they were good for us I walked around with a bag of them..unfortunately that bag is now in my freezer...I mean to eat a few a day but just not that good doing it...M&M's with peanuts just taste better to me..ha ha.

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

Claire - your grandson is gorgeous!!! Oh!!!!

RuMarbeau - I am so sorry that you have to join this thread, so sorry!  We will all try to help answer your questions.

MBJ - Thanks so much for the info. on blueberries, especially the recipe.  Weird, I hadn't seen your "recipe" post when I wrote you asking whether you buy frozen or fresh. It sounds delicious!  Trader Joe is right opposite my house, walking distance.  I will try to do what you do, eat 2 cups a day, just make it a must part of my life.  It actually sounds like a delicious dessert.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface:  I love all things blueberry!

Heidi:  We are so lucky we have husbands that cook!!!

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Ladies, I have a question:  Are there any TN's on this board that do not have a sugar addiction?  I am fighting an uphill battle with adrenal exhaustion long after the BC and the treatments (this was my initial diagnosis).  Eating sugar makes it 100 times worse and even though I try and be good I don't always make it.  Just wondering if it's connected in any way.

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2011

Oh, MBJ, I too have a great big sweet tooth. My DH will eat ANYTHING salty so I do not have much sweet in the house, except fot the dark choc. M&Ms I try to keep them in a can that is hard to get to, but sometimes that can ends up on the counter and calls my name.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Thanks beccad!  Just going with this since I haven't heard anyone ever say anything about not loving sugar or mentioning that they didn't have a sweet tooth.  Anyone else?

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2011

MBJ- Big time sweet tooth here! I can't keep my hands off the baked goods. I bake and decorate cakes and cupcakes for parties- so I don't care for cake too much anymore. I can't even bring M&Ms into the house- or I will eat them all-the kids are lucky if they get any. I am seeing the cancer center dietician on Tues. so she can help me create a lower fat/sugar diet. I am at 142lbs right now- and I carry most of it in my belly and thighs. Got to get rid of the belly fat!!

Tiffany

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Tifj:  I so only get the belly/thigh fat!  Not attractive, since I am skinny everywhere else.  Thank goodness for Spanks!  I love to bake and cook, too, although it is just myself and my DH so I don't do too many large baking sprees.

This is my recipe for  no sugar no bake dark chocolate cookies:

DARK CHOCOLATE COCONUT COOKIES-GLUTEN FREE-SUGAR FREE:

1 cup Almond Flour

1 cup Unsweetened Coconut

1/2 Cup (or more to taste) Organic Dark Cocoa Powder

dash of sea salt

1/8 tsp Spirulina

1/8 tsp Ground Cinnamon

1/3 cup of Coconut Oil

1 tsp Vanilla

2 tblsp Agave Syrup (great sugar substitute-low glycemic)

1-2 tblsp water

Mix dry ingredients together well then add coconut oil, vanilla, Agave and just enough water so it can be made into spoonfuls.  Drop by the teaspoon full on wax paper, chill in the fridge for 15 minutes or more.  Enjoy! 

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2011

I have heard the name Spirulina before, but can't remember what it is! I don't care for coconut, but my husband would love these!! Thanks!!

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Tifj:  My husband loves these, too.  I don't like Spirulina because it taste chemical to me!  You can eliminate the coconut and you may not really taste it with just the coconut oil.  Since you bake/cook, I would experiment!  You can completely eliminate the coconut and almond flour and use it to dip fruit in it, too!

• minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    edited February 2011

I love blueberries and since reading they were cancer fighters I have some every morning with breakfast - probably only about 1/2 cup though.

My big downfall is cake. I have absolutely no willpower when it's around. Husband bought a chocolate ganache cake to celebrate my oldest son getting straight As on his report card, and I cannot resist!

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

minxie:  Sugar & chocolate:  double whammy!  I wouldn't be able to resist, either.  I am now trying to associate sugar with poison and only eat dark chocolate I make for myself.  It isn't going to be easy.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

I sit here reading this as I eat a piece of banana bread! It was a lower fat recipe that had some whole grain flour but it's still got sugar in...I know because I made it and saw all the sugar going in :( 

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

MBJ - I have always always loved sugar.  At one time in my life when I was younger, I couldn't imagine my life without sweet sugary stuff.  Several years before cancer, I stopped using sugar in my coffee and drinks and used splenda.  As for desserts, I cut it down drastically.  I was doing Medifast, a diet program and lost 28 lbs.  Medifast had sweet desserts, however, they were made not with sugar or splenda, but some other sugar substitute.  It kinda helped my sweet tooth, however, in retrospect, I think this diet program had a lot of soy products in them and may have been the culprit which made my body imbalanced enough to cause cancer.

MBJ - My mom taught me how to make chapatis, which is made out of whole grain flour and eat it with cooked vegetables, and even with chicken/lamb curries.  She also made some wonderful mango pickles, using all fresh healthy products.  Ever since I started eating these wholesome carbs and vegetables, I swear I have lost my sweet tooth.  I used to want to run and get a donut and coffee on weekend mornings.  Now I have no wish to do that.  My son brought me some banana bread, I hardly had any.  I am shocked at the transformation.  I honestly think that eating wholesome carbs makes you not want to eat sugar.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Sugar:  Well, sugar is your name!!!

Lovelyface:  I was off of sugar completely and then the holidays hit so it's now time to ween myself off of it again!  Trying to do it cold turkey!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2011

Sugar is not my downfall.  Fat is.  I love cheese.  I honestly could eat it all day every day.  The low fat is hard.  Keeping it under 30 % is not too bad, but the 20% recommended by my onco recommended is hard (apparently there is some study of TNBC patients benefitting from a 20% fat diet).

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Irr:  If sugar is not your downfall, may I ask a question?  Does BC run in your family or are you the only one in your family with this diagnosis, lie so many others here?  PS:  I have the cheese problem, too!

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

I am a cheese, bread and salty treats... chips are my fav.  I could eat a whole bag by myself.   Every once in a while I crave sugar.  I may have a chocolate bar and then I'm good for quite a while.   Diets = discipline and I'm afraid I have never been good at discipline.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited February 2011

Chips are my biggest downfall too.

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

kelben & gillyone:  I am in big trouble then because I love both, lol!!!

• lrr4993
    edited February 2011

MBJ - BC does not run in my family.  I have a great aunt who had it in her 80s.  She had a lumpectomy and chemo.  She is now in her 90s.  Other than that - no BC.

My unscientific theory on my diagnosis is poor diet.  High fat and low nutrition.  I did not take vitamins either.  For about 3-4 years pre-BC I was constantly sick with colds.  I think my immune system just bottomed out because of lack of nutrition (not lack of food, mind you, just nutrition) and stress.  

I did a quiz shortly after diagnosis that determines the percentage of calories that come from the most healthy foods - my pre BC diet was something like 10%.  I am now striving for closer to 75%.  I will also add that I have not even had so much as a cold this winter, which is a rarity for me. 

I realize people with healthy diets get this too.  But I am absolutely convinced that for me, it was diet and stress.   

eta:  here is the quiz if anyone is interested.  I have learned a lot about my diet from this. 

http://www.whfoods.com/foodadvisor.php  

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Irr:  I would have to agree with you on that my diet was poor and my stress was off of the charts!

• lrr4993
    edited February 2011

I doubt seriously that diet and stress can cause cancer.  Again, this is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that something else (likely environmental in the case of TN) causes it, but diet and stress allow it to grow out of control.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

I would put money on stress being a huge contributor to cancer.  My environment hasn't been great, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.  Diet has been only fair at best.   Heredity plays a role too.  Genetics has to have some role to play.   I don't know, healthy eaters, sleepers, low stressors, clean environment, they also get cancer.... no one thing for sure.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2011

Sugar- you cracked me up...you knew about the sugar because you watched it go in, lol!  I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so when I have sweets, I only have one or two bites...because enough is never enough, so why keep eating and eating it!?!  I'm always like 'mmm that was good...and always want more!!  The less sugar I eat, the less I crave it.  Mary- you'll be un-addicted in just a few more days...hang in there!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2011

Add me to the list of sugar addicts.  I could probably exist on just sweets alone if I didn't have somewhat of a conscious.  Also, stress has been in my life STEADY - all my life, and I am talking big time stress - from early childhood continuing into adult life and to the present.  And I wonder why I am the only one in my family EVER to have cancer????????? 

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2011

Count me in on the love for sugar... notably chocolate.  I used to eat a bag of chocolate chips every week.. plain.. in addition to other forms of chocolate.  My mother used to eat a one pound box of chocolates in 2-3 days.  Truth is, if I don't get some kind of sugar, my blood sugar has a tendency to drop.  I believe I'm at least somewhat hypoglycemic.  Candy isn't what you're supposed to eat if you have this condition, but it's useful in a pinch.  I've had a long history of not eating very well... skipping meals here and there.. just don't get very hungry.  BUT, when it comes to chocolate, it's always been something I didn't skip.  I think a lot of women crave sweets though, and men tend toward spices or salt.  I think it's something to do with the taste buds, but I believe it's been proven we are the sweeter sex!

• beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2011

I like sweets but unfortunetly or maybe fortunetly since chemo they do not like me.  I have sweets I feel sick for the rest of the day.  Sometimes I still eat them just because occasionally I would like some chocolate or a piece of cake or pie, but then I also know that I will be paying for it a little later.  It sometime happens as fast as a couple minutes and other times it takes a couple hours but no matter what I will have an upset stomach.  See the doc on Tuesday may ask him about it.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Put me with the sweet and salty group...can't eat my m & m's without a handful of chips.

Oh..and when I was a kid there was nothing like a Ruffle's potato chip dipped into a bowl of homemade ice cream...Yum!