Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Dawne-Hope - I think that last post was meant for Lilah....  I think you're correct, however, that DD is the same as E ????????

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

LaurenM - I waited 8 weeks and have since wasted a lot of money. Can't seem to find a bra that's right for me. My PS said preferably go wire free, but the selection is so blah.

Anyone know if im better to go with smaller band size if im measuring in between? I was measured at Soma and VS as 33. The 34D feels too big, yet the 32DD is very tight. I bought one vanishing back wireless at Soma and one vanishing back with wire. Implants seem pretty snug and fit good into the cup of 32DD, but I don't know if the tighter or looser band is better for them. Any ideas?

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

shore1 - Have you tried measuring yourself?  I was measured at VS once and she did it over my clothes.  Tongue out  Did they measure you without your shirt on?  Maybe you need to go up a cup size in a 32, so depending on the sizing it would be a 32DDD or 32E.  Or if your ribcage really is a 33, a 34 should not feel too big.  My ribcage is 28.5 inches and I wear a 30 band size.  In some styles and brands it is a little snug but it is supposed to be that way.  Something is a little off if they say your ribcage is 33 inches and yet they put you in a 32 band size?????

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I'm not an expert but used the measuring instructions at HerRoom and got into comfortable sports bras after my TE exchange in January. PS recommended I not sink a lot of money into new bras until things settled down after my nipple surgery a few weeks ago (also did some adjustment work so had some swelling). Here's the link: http://www.herroom.com/measure-bra-size-with-implants,904,30.html

• shore1

Dawn-Hope, thanks. I got remeasured today & went with 34DD in VS and a 34D in Soma.

Are demi or full coverage bras better, or is it just personal preference? My PS isn't giving me much advice on this subject & I dont want to end up with something that's going to make them move.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

soma has measuring instructions for natural breasts but they work on me fine. One thing herroom does not show is to measure around your chest under your arms. I find if you measure the rib cage under the breast add 4 in for even numbers and 5 for odd and you should get that number when you measure around the chest above the breast under the arms (arms relaxed) but  . . .  some women, not most, are just very narrow around there rib cage, small boned, but larger in the back and shoulders so they would have to go with the larger measurement.

but reconstructed breasts def look smaller than they measure in a bra.

• ppeople
    ppeople Member Posts: 13

Hi All!  I have been reading your posts for a while, but this is my first.

Here is an issue I have, maybe others do too.  I have significant edema on the lower hemisphere of my breasts (I have TEs, BMX 4/18) because of sluggish lymph drainage (have huge incisions bceasue of previous surgical scar).  My PS said to wear sports bra all the time to give some compression.  Then he said to wear no bra all the time to allow downward drainage of lymph.  That did the trick!  So, will that mean no bra after exchange too?  I sure hope so, I havent worn a tee shirt over bare skin since I was 10 and it feels great!  Any other braless gals out there?

• ppeople

Hi All!  I have been reading your posts for a while, but this is my first.

Here is an issue I have, maybe others do too.  I have significant edema on the lower hemisphere of my breasts (I have TEs, BMX 4/18) because of sluggish lymph drainage (have huge incisions bceasue of previous surgical scar).  My PS said to wear sports bra all the time to give some compression.  Then he said to wear no bra all the time to allow downward drainage of lymph.  That did the trick!  So, will that mean no bra after exchange too?  I sure hope so, I havent worn a tee shirt over bare skin since I was 10 and it feels great!  Any other braless gals out there?

• Estel

Plymouthpeople - The 'rules' of bra wearing fly completely out the window when you note the issue of lymphedema, which it sounds like you have. Your implants could still shift, migrate, or drop but the issue of lymph flow trumps all of that. You might want to post on the LE threads to see how the ladies over there have dealt with it and what they have done post exchange to help move the fluid along AND provide support for the implants. Sorry you have to deal with this. :(

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288

Ok, question: I still have expanders. I have 375 ccs and that seems to make me fit my old bras but fuller on top. They are not particularly bothersome, hard etc but OK,

Been about a month since last fill since I am just finishing chemo. I am olanning to dtay Boutbthis sze- large B or small C.

Sooo- should I be wearing a bra?? I've been wearing nothing, or camisole,and sleeping on side. Is there a risk they'll move around? So far they have stayed exactly where placed 3 months ago. PS hasn't said anything about this. Please advise. Thanks!

Ps exchange planned for end of july or October, depending.

• Estel

Lisa - I couldn't stand to wear a bra with my TE's ... it hurt too badly.  At the most, I wore a cami.  It's not a big deal when you have your TE's because they are temporary and if they shift (as they often do, most likely towards the armpits) it is going to be corrected at the exchange.  When it is really important is AFTER the exchange when the scar tissue is developing around the implants you do NOT want them shifting at that point and is why a bra is so important.  

• ppeople

Thanks for that response Dawne-Hope.  I never thought of it as LE, but now that I think about it you are right!  I check this out.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Dawn-Hope:  Thanks for your further post about Marena & spanx.  I can't seem to keep up with the boards not that we're into our busy season at work.  I'll sure check them out as soon as I get a day off.

Lilah:  I think you are correct.  38DD would be 36E - but I'll have to do some more research.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    munustwo many people can go down in a band size if they go up in the cup but that is not true across the board in my experience. If you really need that 38 inches in the band the 36E (DDD) may feel too tight around the rib cage. 
  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Thanks Carol.  Wish you worked at my local store.  I would go in for a consult !

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

I think I read before on this board the coobie bra and another one similar, which I can't remember. I think I should be wearing one (I'm only 3 weeks post exchange) but I don't want to spend a lot of money now and I also want something comfy. Any other recommendations? Thanks much!

• lisa2012

How was recovering from exchange? I'm trying to squeeze it in before school starts. It will be tight.

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

Lisa - its quick. I was up and about in a week. I still have some discomfort, but definitely able to do what I need to do.

• lisa2012

Lauren, I love the Hell yeah comment you have on the bottom of your posts. I have shared a bunch. It makes me laugh!!Good answer to the "you must miss your breasts, that have been so hard to say goodbye to them, bla bla bla."

Thanks for the comment about recovery. I would love to do it now and not have it looming ahead of me in the fall. I am a principal of an a elementary school. This stupid cancer had me miss a total of 14 weeks for oopharectomy, double mastectomy, and chemo that knocked me over. I want to start school in good shape, and get to actually be there!! If my PS can't get me in at the beginning of August, I'll just have to wait till maybe October or November. Good to know that it's not so extended a recovery as my BMX, I kind of knew that but didn't really!

• lisa2012

Val61- I am going to share what you said with my PS. Very thorough, thanks!!! I am braless with my TEs but good to hear that bras are recommended post-exchange, I am fine with that.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Does anyone happen to have the Chantelle Pont de Arts bra?  It looks like the C Chic somewhat.  Just wonder how it differs?

NWT Chantelle 3946 Pont Des Arts Bra 32DDD 3 Part Cup Underwire $88 Ivory

• tinat

whippetmom - That's a beauty!!!

• whippetmom
    It is pretty, isn't it Tina?  When can you wear underwires?  Please do not say "never..."....Yell
  • Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I agree -- that is a gorgeous bra!

• tinat

whippetmom - I've had the OK for underwires since my IM incisions healed after exchange last August.  I just found that center seam on the 3-part cups crossed right over and irritated the area where I had necrosis and healing issues for so long.  But, I can wear whatever I'd like now as long as the wires don't hit my bony sternum in the wrong spot.  Ack - I am Abbie Normal!    

• whippetmom

Tina: Have you tried a Chantelle C Chic? It is much different than Freya's three part construction. I do not think it would be irritating at all. Lots of wired C Chics on eBay, if you know your size.

• tinat

whippetmom - Unfortunately, I have returned many a bra that felt great at first, but was painful on my sternum after a few hours.  I'll check it out on eBay, but I'll be sure to look for a return policy!

• Estel

Whippetmom - I haven't tried that Chantelle bra but I have tried the Cachemire. It looks similar to the one you posted...it comes up too high in the middle for me but it may be a good replacement for the one you're looking for:

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3371-cachemire-3-part-cup-bra.shtml

• shore1

Does anyone have any favorite Victoria's Secret bras?

• Estel

shore1 - I wore VS all the time prior to BC.  Now I find they do not give me the side support that I need and when I'm not getting that support I hurt ... so no more VS for me.