Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

The VS Body by Victoria Multi-way is one that has much more side support. There is an extra band of criss-crossed elastic within the bra band. I have lat flaps which probably makes a difference.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

DL66 - thanks for the suggestion. I tried the Body by Victoria multi way today, but it was too much bra for me. I got a Showstopper demi and Incredible demi.

Dawn-hope, what do you mean about no side support causing pain? I don't really have any feeling so im wondering if that will come later. I was getting pain twinges a few weeks ago which my PS said were probably related to nerves regenerating.

Is it ok for us to wear push up bras?

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

shore1 - I don't know how to describe the pain.  I've had it since I woke up in recovery from the BMX. It may be because VS bra's don't come in a 30 band size ... but I need a tight fighting underwire bra or it hurts.  It's as simple as that.  

Push-up bras are OK, I think, once you're six months out or more from exchange but generally, you don't want anything pushing, pulling, resting, impinging the implants while they are healing in the pocket. 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Nordstrom is having a pretty good sale at this time on some of our favorite bras... 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/sale-womens-underwear?origin=leftnav

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

I will getting my implants Aug 2nd and hope to join all here and shop for new bras eventually but was told by PS that I gotta wear a sports bra 24/7 for a few weeks after surgery. I got 2 but they are so unbearably tight that I never wear them. I prefer my pre surg bras which are padded and comfy but do have underwires so dont think I can wear them for awhile and I know they dont fit right anymore. I got a regular zip front bra from Herroom b4 the BMX and I really liked it but never wore it because I had nothing to put in the cups after the bandages came off. Tried it on the other day and it fit perfectly with my filled TE. How about those Coobies and Genie bras, are they any good for post exchange? I think I  will just get a couple of cheap sports bra from Walmart until I know what size I will turn out to be and sometimes get post surg staining so no need for more expensive things yet...but am excited to "graduate" to the phase that you ladies have reached.

• shore1

Hi, does anyone have an opinion on the Natori Feathers Plunge bra?

• Estel

sale, did someone say sale?  Thanks whippetmom!  Kiss

shore1 - I know that some have mentioned the Natori Feather's bra and really liked it.  I can't remember who, though.  It is hard to go wrong with Natori. 

Layla - I would venture to say that most, if not all of us, have worn those ugly, sturdy post-surgery bras.  We've been there.  You'll get beyond it and then ... well ... we are not responsible for busting your bra budget.  Wink 

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64

I just want to suggest a bra to ladies having a problem with bras hurting across the top after a while, or who have skin/nipple sensitivity. Nursing bras! You get support, and when you're uncomfortable, you can unhook the front panels. I don't like the full slings, but the ones with just a side sling. I started off with Gilligan O'malley sleep bras from target and now am buying different kinds. I wore one to work earlier today and unhooked the panels as soon as I got in the car. Very comfy!

• shore1

Can someone recommend a bra for sleeping several months after exchange? Some are called "sleep bras" rather than sports bras. Is one better? Will a sports bra smush them too flat? There are so many types and styles. I've been wearing the zip front jcpenny sport bra, but am so uncomfortable when I lay down, that I have to wear 2 to feel more comfortable.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

shore1 - I was unable to wear any of the front-close bras that readily available in stores.  The straps weren't adjustable and I found them all too short.  This site was recommended to me after surgery:

http://marenagroup.com/store/entity/tabid/198/c-3-breast-support.aspx

Customer service by phone is great.  If you call and tell them your needs and concerns they will recommend a specific bra as well as helping you figure out sizing.  Here's another site that I can't personally vouch for, but was recommended by my PS office:

http://www.contourmd.com/bras_and_lingerie_s/8.htm

Good luck!

• Estel

shore1 - I like the Marena bra that Tina posted. Some of us actually sleep in underwires. My favorite is this one (when I do sleep in one).

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa5721-arabella-underwire-plunge-bra.shtml

I cannot and do not now wear those pull over your head sports bras. The one I mostly sleep in is like the one Tina posted and this one:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4001-soft-cup-sports-bra.shtml

• shore1

Thanks TinaT & dawn-hope. Which marena bra do you like? The link showed several. Im also looking at the Moving Comfort bras - anyone like any of those for sleeping?

• Estel

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Marena bras. For sleeping I like this one:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-133-seamless-molded-cup-bra.aspx

• Estel

This is just for fun. Whippetmom posting the link to the sale at Nordies prompted me to check out my other favorite bra sites to see if they were having a sale. I found this beauty on figleaves and just had to share. I can't afford any new bras right now but wow...this one is awesome. I'm so tempted....the Ruby color is only $39!

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/FAU-FV0172/Lucia-Underwired-Balconette-Bra/?size=&colour=

• tinat
    Dawne-Hope - Woohooo....sexy!!!!
  • shore1

Dawn-hope, ill try it. Do you wear the same size as regular bras or did you get it smaller so it would be snug for sleeping in?

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

This Marena was my favorite after surgeries:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-16-surgical-bra-2-elastic-band.aspx

It looks to be the same as the one Dawne-Hope posted except that it does not have molded cups and instead has stretch cups.  I wore this style daily for a long time and for sleep.  Very, very comfortable and supportive along with nice even light compression to help with post-surgical swelling without distorting shape.

• Estel

shore1 - It depends on your body and on your size.  I wear a 30 band and the Marena only comes in a 32.  So, I order a cup size down to get the tight support that I need.  They have a good return policy.  Order both ... your regular size and the size down and see what works for you and return the one that doesn't work.  The bra that MondaysChild posted above ... it might be better for you because like she said it doesn't have the molded cups.  Although I've found the molded cups to be very soft and not rigid at all.  As Tina pointed out above too ... they are very easy to talk to.  Call them, give them your information, your rib cage circumference, your situation and see what they recommend.   Keep us posted on what you get, what works for you.

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

I dropped in to see what kind of discussion is here.  I had my exchange surgery on 7/5.  It was sudden because I had a sudden leak in the rt TE.  I had been looking around the site...it's so big.  I had tried to find some kind idea of what to expect.  I did get that the exchange was much easier and thank God it was.  I had been expanded to 660 when I started leaking and it was almost perfect.  Then 750 to see if the muscle would go that high.  It did without any pain.  Hallelujah. But I got had no idea.  I told him I wanted a full c cup bra with as much projection as possible.

When they cut off the bandaging, my cleavage was gone.  I have two flat pancakes on both sides of my chest.  I feel fluffier than totally flat, but it's flat all the way across..just a fat flat.  I'm discouraged.  I wasn't looking for perfection.  I wanted to feel pretty in a dress without having to wear the heavy hot tenderloins.  I went through 17 months of TE and am still flat.  Maybe I should start a thread...don't get your expectations too high.  

I'm sorry to be a downer.  I shouldn't have come here.  Reading through you posts made me realize it's unlikely that I will find a pretty bra to fit.  I need a 44 band right now.  And I have never seen a 44 A before.  44 B fit after my first set of expansions.  I was expanded before radiation - then had to wait a year.  Then they expanded again.  I fit into a C cup beautifully and that was my goal.  This is not going to happen.  It's just too flat across. 

• Estel

fragrantroses - Have you been to the 'exchange city' or 'breast implant sizing 101' threads? I'll post links to both of them. It is not uncommon at all to feel disappointed right after our exchange because our implants are flat, hamburger bun or pancake like. It takes them awhile to relax in the pocket. That being said, it isn't uncommon for revisions to bigger or smaller implants. Give it a little time and check out the links. You are not alone.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/746448?page=211#idx_6330

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/728266?page=824#idx_24711

• shore1

Thanks for the great suggestions - you girls are the best. I'm making progress with my bra shopping & will let you all know which turn out to be my favorites. Another question re sports bras though, I'm hoping someone might know the answer to - is "compression" styling ok with implants? I power walk and do yoga - nothing high impact. I'm looking at the Moving Comfort Vero, as I've seen it mentioned on here a few times, but its says "encapsualtion/compression styling." Wondering if I should be staying away from compression styling. Appreciate any ideas.

• Estel

Shore1 - I don't think so, we do need some compression. Val is the expert, but in my experience, the over the head compression bras are not ideal. My two favorite workout bras are two that Val recommended:

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-73-408-max-out-technical-support-sports-bra.shtml

Bendon comes in various styles and sizes too. Search 'Bendon' on herroom.

Lululemon has various yoga bras. This one, on the recommendation of Val is my favorite:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-sports-bras/Ta-Ta-Tamer-II-31110?cc=7041&skuId=3417008&catId=uswwearit1

• shore1

I received the Marena molded cup bra today. Its very comfortable. Im using only for sleeping. I also received the Natori Feathers bra today. Its lacier than I would normally buy - I usually prefer smoother t-shirt style bras - but its good to have a pretty one like this. The fit is excellent, so I will be trying more by Natori.

• Estel

Shore1 - Natori has some great t-shirt bras. Also, check out Josie...they are made by Natori. I have a couple Josie bras that are great under t-shirts - Josie, 'Maya.' Keep us posted on how they feel after you wear them a couple of times. That is the true test.

http://www.barenecessities.com/search.aspx?search=josie&drv=4294961629,4294961468&drvOld=0&mode=1

This one is a Natori favorite.

http://www.barenecessities.com/natori-body-doubles-lace-trim-underwire-t-shirt-bra-136001_product.htm?pf_id=NatoriWhiteLabel136001&search=

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

I just bought that Natori at Nordstrom he other day. My first post surgery bra.

Was anyone beyond surprised with their new bra size? I almost fell on the floor when she told me I'm a DDD! I was expecting C, maybe D...

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Heading for a bra fitting tomorrow! Can't wait to learn my new size, especialy after hearing about Lauren's! Who knows what it might be?

• tinat
    LaurenM730 - I was shocked too when I went for my first fitting.  Like many women I discovered I've been wearing the wrong band size all along so went from wearing a 36 "almost B" to 34DD.  I kept saying, "Are you sure?  That just doesn't seem possible!"
  • Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I agree looks can be deceiving. I look more like a C than the D that I am now.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Turned out I am wear a 36C, about what I expected. Did try a 36D in one style and it fit pretty good too. I went to the hospital gift shop my PS recommended. They had already checked with my insurance company and was told the company follows Medicare guidelines for all ages and should pay for six bras a year with no co-pay or deductible. I only found three I liked and they didn't have any underwires which is what I was looking so get to go shopping again. I didn't expect insurance to cover my new underwear!

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

So the bra I got fitted with the other day at Nordstrom didn't fit right after wearing it for a few hours. I went back today and got re-fitted. 32 DDDD. Shocked. It fits great. And it was on the anniversary sale, so even better. I think the lingerie department might have the best stuff on sale. Pretty sad for Nordstrom. I used to look forward to the sale every year...