Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• BuddhaWolf
    BuddhaWolf Member Posts: 62

Hello all,

I'm new to this thread and wanted to say hello & thanks to all of you compassionate women for your candid contributions; I am due to have revision surgery on 29/5 of a contracted , laterally moved botched beckers expander. I am determined to have this one work, and  I'm finding this thread invaluable for informing me of the process. I feel like I'm cramming in for an exam! It is a shame that this info is not readily available or offered by our PS and professionals in the UK... However, I'm afraid its 3am in the UK and I'd love to type more, but I am very tired!

So my hello is short & sweet, but my gratutude is deep.

Warmly

Buddhawolf

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

It has been one year since my BMX and 9 months since my exchange and during all this time I have been on a quest to find a bra that fits and is comfortable. All that I was able to come up with was the Ahh Bra or the Genie Bra, both comfortable but both very institutional looking. I did have a fitting at Nordstrom and ended up with 2 expensive bras that I hate.My reconstruction did not turn out all that great so maybe that has something to do with the fit.Two days ago I decided to give it another try. I had seen a tv show that was discussing bras and the importance of a good fit .A store called Intimacy was having fitters in and some kind of a promo that I missed but I did remember that there was a store in the mall so I thought I'd give it another try. I worked with a young woman that said she'd fitted many mastectomy women and judging from the beautiful , comfortable bra that I walked out with I'd say she 's doing a great job. To my surprise she put me in a smaller band size, 36 instead of 38 and up a cup, from a C/D to a DD and for the first time in my life my bra actually does lie flat against the middle of my chest and each breast in resting comfortably in it's place.I guess second opinions in bra fitters is also a good thing.Now if only fixing my breasts were as easy.....

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Thanks for the clarification, greenmonkey. NOW it all makes sense 😊. Hope you got some saline out and are feeling relief. There's nothing like that tight feeling - and only those of us who've been through it can truly understand! Hang in there!

BuddhaWolf - welcome! Isn't BCO just awesome? I'm pretty sure I would have had to be committed to the psych unit had I not found this place during my recon! Amazing women helping each other - fantastic!

DocBabs - I think I saw the same show the other day! I'm SO glad you found a good, compassionate fitter and a good, comfy bra! the wires should NOT ever poke into your chest - the first sign the cup is too big. And see, ladies.......just as I'm always harping on here.......smaller band and bigger cup.......it's almost always the key to a better fit!

Enjoy your weekend, y'all!

• Iam
    Iam Member Posts: 5

I have one implant that bottomed-out.  I have not decided to have surgery yet, maybe next year.  But, in the meantime to prevent further bottoming-out, I've been wearing underwire bras and found some beautiful comfortable ones from your suggestions.  The only problem I have, is finding one to sleep with.  Some cause pressure put on the implant which shifts while I sleep and it obviously drops below the underwire which causes pain.  I love to sleep on my side which probably causes this.  Any suggestions?

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

Your bra band is probably too loose if the implant shifts enough to drop below the underwire.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Iam - so sorry to hear your implant decided to take a little trip.......:(.......do know that it's not at all uncommon to need revisions for such things during your BC journey. Now.....you just need to get a bra that will keep that puppy in place while you sleep. DLL has a good thought - that the band is too big. While I do sleep in a band one size bigger than I wear during the day(& a cup size smaller), it's still snug enough that nothing moves. Another good possibility is that the wire is too big - too large a cup size. If fitted properly, the wire should be snug up against the implant encapsulating it; it should take effort with the band on to pull it away from your body. Does that make sense? I sleep in Freya mesh bras, which breathe well, are sexy, and keep me away from the OR- been there / done that already! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Iam
    Iam Member Posts: 5

Yes, I think I do understand.  Shucks and I thought I could sleep in a bra that was comfortable.  The band I'm wearing feels snug and secure enough - any tighter and I won't be able to breathe...or do I need to lose weightEmbarassed.   Aaah, but the cup size may be a little too loose.  So, is it that some bras differ on cup sizes?  as some brands fit me quite well and some I go a cup smaller but the band size remains the same.  Okay, now I would have to elliminate two bras.  They were sort of feeling uncomfortable but I don't own too many bras and I didn't want to neglect wearing them so I thought I could wear it at night.  Not a good idea.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have a pair of Freya bras that I wear only during the day.  Guess I'll need to expand my wardrobe.  Any particular website that offers reasonably affordable ones?  Ebay perhaps?  When the shipping kicks in, it doesn't make too much of a difference sometimes.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Hi everyone, im sure this info is on this thread somewhere, but its long to read all the posts! I have mentor high profile smooth round 600 cc silicone implants. Can anyone recommend good fitting wireless bras? Im planning to look at Soma at the vanishing back bra. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any replies :)

• shore1

Thanks kayb! I got measured today -- 32DD or 32D, and bought 1 wireless vanishing back bra. Very comfortable, but kind of plain looking. I will check out wacoal.

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

I just went for a fitting at Intimacy and for the first time in my life I have a bra that actually lies flat in the middle of my breasts and each breast is neatly tucked into a cup. The bra is by Chantelle . It might be the fit or the bra but it feels wonderful. BTW I was fitted down a band size , from 38 to 36, and up a cup size , from a D to a DD. I did go to Nordstroms a few months back and was not as satisfied with the recommended bra I bought there .

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

DocBabs- Glad you found a style/size that works for you! Most of us need to go down a band size and up a cup size. Hurray for a bra that fits! :)

• Estel

shore- Anita makes good wireless bras as well.

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5493-classic-soft-cup-bra.shtml

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

I stumbled across a good and inexpensive bra for tshirts. Modern Movement style S62BN032 molded cup underwire. Comes in the standard colors and lays flat at the sternum with wide side band and three hook back closure. Dillard's carries this style. I paid only $36 for each which is very reasonable for a quality bra. I' m in love with this one for comfort and price, plus holds up the girls very well!

• shore1

What kind of bra, if any, do you girls wear at night post exchange? Its been almost 3 months since my exchange and im still wearing a sports bra to sleep in. Any idea when or if its ok not to wear one at night? Not due to see my PS for awhile, so would appreciate hearing what others have been told by PS, even tho PS opinions on same subject vary so much.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I'm a couple of months ahead of you and I wear a zip up sports bra at night. It's comfortable and has good side support. I worry about my new implants moving over to the sides. They haven't but I feel better keeping them "in place"!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685

I was told by PS I do not need to wear a bra so quit wearing one at three weeks post op.

• Estel

shore1 - I too wear a zip up the front sports bra to sleep in and I'm coming upon two years post exchange. Occasionally I will wear a Freya underwire to sleep in, but the zip up the front keeps them up and in and is comfy.

• shore1

Any particular brand zip up sports bra you like?

• Estel

shore1 - I struggled finding an exercise bra post exchange that wasn't one of those pull over your head compression bras. I dug this zip up the front sports bra out of a drawer. I hadn't worn it much and I have no idea what kind it is or where I got it. Other ladies have posted they found some cheap ones at Wal-Mart, Target and TJ-Maxx. Danskin supposedly makes one too. I haven't found any in my size. When I buy a new sleep bra I'm going for something like this because it will help with my lymphedema:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-133-seamless-molded-cup-bra.aspx

Go parouse Wal-Mart and see if you can find anything. In a bra like this I'd go a size down to get the side support you need. A sleep bra (or any bra for that matter shouldn't be loose). Keep us posted on what you find.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Dawne-Hope - That Marena bra is the one I wear at night.  I wish I could wear the comfy cotton ones that you mentioned, but the shoulder straps are never long enough for me so I have to get something with adjustable straps.  The Marena to which you provided a link is the one their rep suggested for me as a sleep bra.  I've been very happy with it!

• Estel

TinaT- I'm glad to know you like it! I can't find the cotton ones to be snug enough in the band-they are all too loose. That Marena bra will be mine next. :) Encouraging to know it works for you and you like it!

• shore1

Dawn-hope: thanks for posting. I will check out those suggestions.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Dawn - Oh the Marena bra looked so good I was ready to buy 3, but unfortunately it doesn't come in 38, let along DD.  Sigh.  I'll check out the others later.

Ahh Bra rolls up a little at the ribs, but still better than lots of the alternatives & definitely cheaper at $19.99 than the $50 Cosabella I bought online after BMX.  However Ahh is a pull over the head variety.

• Estel

MinusTwo - The Marena bra comes in a 38E.  I wonder if in this case the 38E = 38DD.  It is worth a try.  It does look comfy doesn't it?  They will accept returns.  Also ... check out the camis on the Marena website.  Those look comfy too.  Have you tried the Spanx bra?  Those are super soft and don't dig in and the material on the back seems like it would be good for LE.  

http://www.herroom.com/spanx-216-bra-llelujah-full-coverage-front-closure-bra.shtml 

• Estel

MinusTwo - Also ... one more thought.  In the bras like the Marena bras I don't think going down a cup size would hurt.  There is no underwire.  I think I would try both the 38D and the 38E and see which one fits the best.  Way back right after my exchange I ordered a 32D in that bra and it was too big.  I returned it and then found the bra that I am currently wearing and haven't ordered another.  So ... I do know they accept returns and after everything is settled a 32C is what I would normally wear but after trying on the 32D, when I order another one, I'm going to try the 32B and the 32C because I need all the lateral support around the implants I can get and I'm not sure the 32C will do that for me.  

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

The equivalent of a 38DD is a 36E (not a 38E), isn't it?  Up a cup, down a band size is the rule, I think.

Or maybe E and DD are the same size cup.  In which case Dawnehope is right :)

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

Hi everyone! General question for you all - how long after exchange did you go bra shopping?. Im 2 weeks post exchange and I don't feel like even wearing a bra. I sure as hell don't need one. Anyone choose not to wear a bra at all? Is it skanky if I don't? Thanks for your honest opinions on that..

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

LaurenM730 - Since you're comfy without a bra and your PS is OK with that I would suggest waiting a while before sinking some money into new bras.  2 weeks is probably not enough time for the swelling to be completely gone and things are apt to continue settling in for a while.

I think I waited at least a month before going for a fitting, but everybody is different.  I saw changes even after that. 

• Estel

TinaT - it depends on if they use European sizing. Their sizing system IS different than ours. What is strange to mr about the Marena bra sizing is it jumps from d to e. a sister size is what you described but in different sizing systems a 38 E may be the same as a 38dd. It depends on the sizing system and I don't know what that is.

Val?