Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Ah I just checked herroom.com and the Amazone looks like the same (or extremely similar) to the Chantelle I bought a few years ago... pretty with lace on the top half of the cups....

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

Carol2, I live just outside of Jefferson City.  I've heard of Belton, but I must say I have no clue where it is right now.  :)  

Are you finding bras that actually fit?  Or do you have to stuff them somewhat?  My exchange was 7/5, so they are still flat enough that they don't fill a bra cup.  The mastectomy fitter, put me in a DDD/F/G bra depending on the manufacturer, and I was kind of feeling Whoa, I'm supposed to be a C Cup.  When I fit the bras, I can pull Glinda in and she almost fills the space.  Maxine the crank, she's not budging.  I mean I can massage the implant and it's gotten softer and pliable, but the skin is like leather in places and she has still not dropped.  I don't know if she will fluff at all.  The doctors and I discussed the possibility of raising Glinda and narrowing the pocket to match Maxine, rather than trying to get Maxine to things radiated skin just isn't going to do.  They agreed that might be a big possibility.  They said they would fat graph Maxine to give her a more rounded breast shape, but with skin this leathery and tight, I don't see how fat graphing will make a difference.  So while the DDD/F/G bra fits the implant beautifully, my foobs are not fitting the cups.  Although I take the bra off and the implant is right there in front where it's supposed to be, it's still flat across the front. So I now how silicone forms that fit in front to give that projection.  But it seems like everyone else is projecting under their own steam.

One sweet resident sat down with me this week when she was removing my tapes.  All the doctors tell me that Maxine is still very swollen.  She's got impressive cleavage but they tell me that's swelling and should flatten out like Glinda.  I'm thinking "great".  Not really going for flat here.  The resident told me, she understands how frustrating it is to be told repeatedly that we have to wait it out because it takes implants a while and way longer than patients think it should be.  And my radiated side (cranky Maxine) is behind Glinda on the healing curve by weeks.  I'm still as swollen as I was the first week.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

fragrantroses - A couple of things.  

1)  Most of us were wearing the wrong size cup before our surgeries ... so what you think is a "C" cup may not really be a "C" or what your PS thought was a "C" isn't really a "C."  Undecided

2)  Implants are wide and most of us are wearing sizes bigger than what we thought because the bra/underwire has to encompass the implant (not press on it in any way) and so we need a bigger cup size.

3)  Reconstructed breasts do not have an areola complex so we won't fill out the whole cup.  There is going to be some room at the tip of the cup of any bra we wear because our breasts don't have that extra 'oomp' of our natural ones.  The cut of the bra (balcony, plunge, etc.,) will help with this issue.  There are some Freya balcony bras that I too have to wear little silicone inserts to fill out that bra.  I've never bought another bra like that again because I hate it.  I've since learned what brand, style, cut of bra works best for that issue.  It is trial and error.  It's frustrating at the beginning but I promise once you figure out it gets better and even fun.  Wink  Hang in there.

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

Thanks Dawne-Hope.  That clarifies things a bit for me.  The fitter told me that I will probably want to stick to "minimizing" bras.  I kind of gave her a look because I want to maximize, not minimize.  But she said the less material across the front will help with the lack of breast tissue in center front so the cups fit better.  Has this been anyone else's observation?

• LaurenM730
    LaurenM730 Member Posts: 100

Many of you have mentioned the Freya bras. Which are your favorites? I went on Herroom last night and am amazed at the selection. Now I'm even more confused! Lol!

• Lilah

Lauren -- one of my favorites is the Freya Eleanor (sheer and comes in a lot of colors)!

Roses -- yes, what Dawne said is true both about the challenges of fitting without an areola complex and the issue of sizing.  The size we wear is larger to accommodate the implant but it's not about the numbers, it's about the look (I think we look smaller than the bra size indicates).

• Estel

My favorite freyas are: Eleanor, Caroline, Pollyanna, Arabella, Jolie, Alexa. Like Kayb, I order from the UK because they are cheaper. I wouldn't do that at first because it is tricky to return them. Eleanor is hard to find now because she's been discontinued.You can still find her at times on eBay. I have yet to try "Faye" but I hear she is awesome and I've heard "Nina" is great too.

• Estel

I have this longline in another color but wow is it comfy:

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FreyaAA1233

Here is Faye. She is based on the Pollyana which is getting more difficult to find. I think Faye is replacing Pollyanna.

http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-faye-plunge-underwire-bra-aa4201_product.htm?pf_id=FreyaAA4201&search=

Arabella is a favorite

http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-arabella-plunge-bra-aa5721_product.htm?pf_id=FreyaAA5721&search=

I love this bra! I have her in every color. :) #blush# Jolie:

http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-jolie-plunge-underwire-bra-4101_product.htm?pf_id=Freya4101&search=

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4101-jolie-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml
    http://www.lembrassa.com/cgi-bin/ss000011.pl?SS=Freya+Jolie&page=search&PR=-1&TB=A

Lyla may have replaced Eleanor. I like this one too:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4301-lyla-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

Roxanna is the same cut, style as Nina just in a different color. I don't have this one but others have and like her:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1161-roxanne-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

This one is next on my list. I want her so badly but I can't afford it! It reminds me of discontinued Caroline plus it has butterflies on it. Butterflies! ;) Ada:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1351-ada-underwire-plunge-bra.shtml

I'll stop but you get the idea. ;)

• Estel

Just for comparison, here are Freya bras on a UK based website. Much cheaper! It takes longer to get here, about two weeks and the shipping is more expensive but the cheaper price for the bra outweighs more expensive shipping.

Here is Roxanne, same bra as above but much cheaper:

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/FRA-AA1161/Freya-Roxanne-Underwired-Plunge-Balcony-Bra/?size=&colour=Blues

And Ada for much cheaper as well. When I order Ada, I will order it from here:

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/FRA-AA1351/Freya-Ada-Underwired-Plunge-Bra/?size=&colour=Multicoloured

• Lilah

You are making me crazy, DH!  Love that Faye... I agree that Lyla (another VERY pretty one) looks very similar to Eleanor (so probably has replaced her).  Roxanna is adorable!  Actually similar to Faye but in a very pretty fabric.

Oy I am going to have to buy some new Freya's now!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Fragrantroses - I love the SOMA Emma minimizer. It is slightly stretchy and does not minimize my implants. It is an underwire, unlined bra. I wear it in 38DD and it fits perfectly and is comfortable. I have put quite a few reconstruction customers in it. The have 2 other minimizers and lots of customers like them - Verona and Suzanna - but I don't like the way the underwires feel. Personal preference and way our implants sit on our chest. The vanishing back minimizer really minimizes. I found it squished the implants almost flat and needless to say was neither flattering nor comfortable. In contoured cups I need to go down a cup size as don't fill of the cups in the front. Of course you also have to be mindful of where the wires encapsule the breasts. This is my 2 cents worth. Carrol2 might want to comment as well. I understand your frustration as it can be difficult to find that perfect fit.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Oh me oh my....I just found the Freya Faye on sale at Nordstroms!

• Lilah

Oh you lucky woman, Whippetmom!

(Heading to Nordstrom's site now...)

• LaurenM730

Those are some perty Freya bras!  And if they're comfortable, even better.  I really might buy one in every style and return the ones I don't like.  I really just want comfort (I don't care what they look like).  So since you're all raving about Freya, I MUST try them!

Thank you all for your input.  Its costing me a bundle.  But I'm sure it will be worth it.  Do they not sell them in stores?

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Delilah i agree 100% the minimizer wires are wider so they are great for reconstruction. I also have fittend quite a few recon ladies in Emma. Personally I like the moled cup because it gives me a nicer shape.

• Estel

kayb - I have Eloise and she's ok but not my fav. Sophie doesn't feel right on me and you love her...so I would try her...she's not the same cut as Sophia but the underwires don't hit me right on the sides. Try it!

whippetmom - Shakes head....must.go.look.now

LaurenM730 - Nordstrom has them but they don't carry my size. I've been able to find them at a bra shop in St. Louis but it is difficult for me to get up there at that particular shop plus it closes at five and I generally can't get up there at that time. Dillard's and Macy's doesn't carry Freya. Come back and tell us your favorites and what works for you.

• Sleep
    Sleep Member Posts: 19

My implant is so uncomfortable. Had exchange 15 days ago it is so tight I feel like breathing is difficult. It has gotten worse each day it is very hard when I touch it. My husband massage the breast yesterday., a little. Today nothing helping. My bra is a Bali outer body without wire, doc said it was fine I went for post-op last tue.

Signed sleep!

• Estel

Sleep - two weeks isn't long. I was tighter after my exchange than I was after my BMX. Talk to your BS, PS, whoever will listen and get a referral to an Occupational or Physical therapist. I had an OT who performed myofascial release on me and wow it hurt at the time but within minutes I could raise my arms completely over my head. It can make a world of difference.

Sleep...sounds soooo good. I'm a bit sleep deprived recently....hope I can get some tonight and you get some relief from that pain. Praying for you tonight! Blessings and love to you.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

After nipple reconstruction, will unlined bras make headlights show? I like the fit of Soma Emma but I wont get nipples for a few months and am wondering if spending money on unlined bras is a bad idea.

• Estel

shore - My nips shrunk big time so no headlights for me. And the first few weeks after I got nips, you're wearing so much gauze there is no way they show. :/ Totally not an issue for me.

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Dawne-Hope - how long for the nip shrinkage?  Right now this thing is huge!

• Estel

Jamie - How long ago was your surgery and what type of nip surgery did you have?

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I said, "a shopping I will go" and I did! I had trouble finding the wireless Chantelle Amazone soft cup or Wacoal 85226 in my size (34DDD) so spent a fair amount of time on the HerRoom webiste and checked out a lot of bras. I ended up ordering these two:

Royce Charlotte Comfort Bra 821 - http://www.herroom.com/royce-821-charlotte-comfort-bra.shtml

Aviana Soft-Cup Lace Bra 2352 - http://www.herroom.com/aviana-2352-soft-cup-lace-bra.shtml

Has anyone used the HerRoom "Know Your Breasts Brafinder"? I did and found it fun to do and useful as it came up with new bras for me to consider. Best of all, they sent a code for 10% off my order! Received notice today that my order as shipped so will let you know what I think once the package arrives. Many on this thread have indicated returns are easy if they don't fit.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

I have nipples that shrunk to about 1/4" and have stayed that way. It has been 2 1/2 years since they were done. I wear Emma most of the time under T-shirts and sometime you can see just the barest hint but my DH says it shows I am a lady and he likes it. Doesn't bother me as the aren't huge and in your face. This is just me - the other thing about the Emma is the slight patterning in the material helps to hide them.

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Dawne-Hope - I had my TE exchange and nip/areola reconstruction on Aug 9.  Not sure exactly the technique used.  I had lost about 20 lbs since my expansion, so my PS actually cut away some of the extra since my reconstructed side was larger than my natural breast (I'm a UMX) and used that tissue to create a nipple and areola.  It's great since there is no donor site, and I don't have to worry about hairy nips!!!!

My natural nipple was rather small, so I hope it does shrink to about half its current size.

• Estel

Jamie - That's less than two weeks ... they WILL shrink!  Wink  Be assured.  Some ladies get a cylinder implant and those won't shrink much if at all ... but if your PS cut you and twisted the skin together to make a nip they most definitely will shrink.  

One of my nips didn't heal well and it turned black within a week and there is barely any nip there at all.  My other side healed better and there is a little more projection but nothing like my natural nips.  Plus the cold doesn't affect them.  My nips don't show ... honestly if I wear a shirt with an unlined bra ... the unlined bra seams show more than any nips that I have and if I wear a t-shirt bra or a lined bra they don't show at all.  I think you're going to be fine.  Kiss 

• Estel
    Golden - Wahoo for a 10% coupon!  Laughing  Keep us posted!  I've returned many a bra to herroom and haven't had a problem.  Just be sure not to take the tags off and that they are pristine ... no smudges or anything and you'll be fine.  Note though, that if you buy a bra from herroom from clearance you can't return those.  Can't wait to hear how they work!  
  • LaurenM730

Golden - i used their bra finder.  It was fun, but also made me think a lot about my boobs.  I dont think I ever thought that much about them before that quiz...  They have such a huge selection, I could spend hours on there!  I'm going to take their suggestion on some of the bras and see how they work out.  Let us know how yours work out for you too!

• BuddhaWolf
    BuddhaWolf Member Posts: 62

Lilah all of the gummy bears girls,

hello again, - I notice that earlier on In February, you said that you liked some Freya  bras.  could you share which ones you like and/or fit?  As my  exchange to a unilateral gummy bear &  implant the other side, I would like to be wearing wired pretty bras as soon as Possible! Or pretty wire free bras,  for that matter! I find them quite youthful and cheerful and colourful, and they have great matching knickers!  I'm not a fan of T-shirt bras  or moulded cup  bras,  and wore Elle MacPherson,  as well as a lot of designer bras such as   Fleur of England, Made by Nicki,  Bordelle,  and  Mimi Holliday before my diagnosis.  I am really am praying that I don't have to give up youthful beautiful lingerie for Nude bigh-necked  brassieres-Especially because no  available  nude  matches my skin tone!  Thank you!