Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Thanks Dawne-Hope.  No shrinkage yet, but things are looking better already and it's only 2 weeks today. Everyday I pray for patience.

• BuddhaWolf
    BuddhaWolf Member Posts: 62
    Kayb - thanks lovely! Off I go to dream & try very very hard not to buy until I know my correct size... Pre-BC I was an obsessive lingerie buyer... As I am setting up a lingerie business, I gave myself the excuse that I was buying for research purposes... Now nothing fits, as theyre all in 34B's, and Im gagging to replace it all... the obsession is now multiplied that to the power of 100! Foot in mouth
  • Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Simple instructions on bra fitting:

http://www.lindasonline.com/bra-band-rides-up-back.html

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

I tried VS dream angels full coverage & like it - it seems wider which is more comfortable for me.

• Estel
    BuddaWolf - If you go back to the previous page (124) there are various posts on Freya bras.
  • Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

One Half-Price Deal On A Bra You Loved.
    This price is only being offered to you, and for only 24 hours.

Just got this special offer from Herroom on one of the bras that I ordered but it is only good for 24 hours. I haven't received my order yet (it may come tomorrow!) so am reluctant to order another until I know if it fits. I know you can't return the ones on sale. Has anyone bought this one (is wireless)?

Royce Charlotte Comfort Bra 821, Just $21.26

Size: 34E
    Color: Black

MSRP: $42.50
    Current Price: $42.50
    Your Price
    $21.26
    50% Off Current Price

Royce Charlotte Comfort Bra 821 - http://www.herroom.com/royce-821-charlotte-comfort-bra.shtml

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Buddawolf I see you got lots of replies!  PM me if you need more :)

• Estel

Golden- No. I'm sorry. I don't know anything about that particular bra.When they come please do tell us all about it.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

I received my Freya Faye bra, and it is lovely and fits beautifully. However, there is this annoying little bit of puckering where the lace meets the material portion of the bra. I ordered it in a 34 E and 32 F to see which fits best, and both sizes have this puckering problem, so it is not just an isolated defect with one bra. Have you ever experienced a little issue like this and could I hope that it would resolve?

• BuddhaWolf

Dawnehope, Lilah kayb:  Thank You so Much Girls!

I can see myself being drawn into the  Cult of Freya!!  especially after seeing Lilah  on the July 6, 2011, 9:33pm post your bra thread! Woarrrr! 

I was posting to get the experience of women  who have gummies, as I've been noticing in the posts fitting issues seemed different for  this firm 410 implant,  and it looks like I'm set for getting the gummy  (as my surgeon  won't budge and give me rounds).  I was beginning to despair, - I  just  can't bring myself to wearing wire free forever.  So thank you so much giving me hope!

Even though I am able to access to all the big brand postsurgery /  wire free bras, for example Royce (at a discount  through my work, and as I did my bra & mastectomy fitting training with Royce), Anita etc,  I prefer my lingerie lacy, frilly, theatrical, colourful, avant-garde, anything but white and nude! for example:

http://www.damaris.co.uk/m_collection.asp?sid=40 - After my TE op, I went and bought a drawer full of these  in the sales, guestimating I 'm going to be a 36D  - I really hope I can fit them after my exchange!

( I know I know,  I shouldn't buy bras until I know what my final size will be. Even my breast care nurse told me not to rush out and  buy loads of bras. I just 'forgot'  when the sales started, and hit pay on PayPal!!!)

I have a  set of these waiting as well, and I'm  REALLY hoping I can fit them too ( one of my favourite lingerie designers)

http://madebyniki.co.uk/vintage-bra-dusty-pink?cat=£21-to-£40

I think,  after my exchange,  I may be busy with my sewing machine customising these  bras (shortening the bands an inch or two, and shortening the straps) in order to get a perfect fit... ! And then  continue feeding  my bra addiction with Freya's!!!Money mouth

• BuddhaWolf

For what it's worth - as  I've worn it whilst still at TE stage, so not sure how it will fit for a complete reconstruction- I bought one of these:

http://www.asos.com/Elle-Macpherson-Intimates/Elle-Macpherson-Intimates-Picturesque-Underwire-Bra-D-G/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2225292&cid=4998&Rf-300=2141&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Jet 

it was on sale (£19-  Though it seems to have gone up in price) and it is extremely beautiful,  and gave me a bit of cleavage, allowing me to wear some of my  pre-TE clothing.  It's  unlined, and has a hidden in the cup  lateral support band which I found  followed the criteria mentioned above for supporting our implants.. and I dont move in it!!

What you all think? I know Cameron has a bit of a thing for Elle MacPherson bras!!

• Golden01

I love the Elle Macpherson but it doesn't come in my size or I'd order today!

• BuddhaWolf

golden 0 1: Oh? What size  are you?  I believe  L MacPherson does  core cup sizes A to D, but I just posted her D-G cup range.  If you're A to D so you could probably find in your size...

good luck  with finding it!

• Golden01

34DDD! Never would have dreamed it but the implant is wide and the bra fitters at Nordstrom and Dillards have been right on the money with the size.

• BuddhaWolf

golden01:   you might want to check the US/UK conversion chart for  bras.  Because though we haven't got  DDD,  I think the equivalent of it may be an E/ F cup (haven't got my size  chart with me so please don't quote me on this).  Maybe check the  Elle MacPherson website to her conversion chart,  to get your size equivalent, and then hey, you might be getting one of those pretty bras for yourself! I  Hope so!

• BuddhaWolf

Golden01: here you are  I have saved you the trouble.  please be aware that  Elle MacPherson bras do run it small.

http://www.pamperedpassions.com/elle-macpherson-size-chart

warmly, Buddha Wolf

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Buddha, I have my TE and was told I didnt need to wear a bra with those but would need a bra for the implants,a sports bra. I wear one to work cause after so many yrs of wearing one I would feel under dressed without it. However, these are my org bra with underwire and the cups barely cover the TE,hopefully will be a bigger size with the implants.

Gorgeous bras on here. The leopard one and the fushia/rose colored one. The sports bras not so pretty but its ok as long as the boobs turn out pretty.

You ladies are so right,I have heard other patients who have had their implants for yrs say their PS told them they didnt have to wear a bra. I was thinking of maybe getting some of those Coobies that someone recommended dunno what thread I saw it on. Maybe get those for post sports bra time to support the implants but dunno about the bralessness and gravity and the implants,hmmm.

• BuddhaWolf

Layla2525 - I'm wearing a bra at the moment,  as I'm a bit lopsided! I'm the uni MX & My TE is  approximately 2 cup  sizes bigger than my natural breast (an a cup),  so I am having to wear a softy to balance out the difference until I have my exchange.   I also wear them for a bit of a mental boost,  to help me feel good about the process of undergoing.

I plan on wearing bras after my exchange, because  I love lingerie, and  I am certain gravity will take over  eventually...    My thinking is gravity does affect natural breasts so why wouldn't it with an implant  (even one behind a muscle will have some effect from gravity's  pull)?  I am encouraged by  the discussion around  encapsulation and supporting the pocket healing in a nice position... and I'm looking forward to filling a pretty lacy cup or 2! 

• Golden01

Thanks for the conversion chart! The Elle Mcpherson doesn't seem to come in a 34E (US 34DDD).

• Estel

Golden01 - Linda's online has them in E/F cups:

http://www.lindasonline.com/elle-macpherson-intimates.html 

This link didn't take it to the Elle Macpherson bra ... I'll try again and if it doesn't work go to the homepage and search for "Elle Macpherson" and she has the sizes you need.

http://www.lindasonline.com/elle-macpherson-intimates.html

http://www.lindasonline.com/elle-macpherson-dentelle-lace-underwire-bra-75-261-jet-pewter.html

http://www.lindasonline.com/elle-macpherson-artistry-contour-underwire-bra-e72-564-black.html 

• Golden01

Thanks!

• Golden01

Thank you for finding these sites for me! Very pretty!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Thanks kayb!

• Dragonfly2012
    Dragonfly2012 Member Posts: 45
    I am almost 4 weeks post-exchange and am now officially obsessed with bras! I was given little guidance in this regard. The resident who discharged me said to wear a good support bra 24/7, no underwires. When I saw the PS 4 days later, he said a good support bra 24/7, but if I wanted to go without a bra for day here and there, it was okay. When I asked him if the type of bra mattered, he said no. When I was more specific and asked if I could wear underwired bras, he said no. Anyway... up until now I have decided to abide by the no underwire guidelines.

I have purchased several no wire bras that I feel have a good fit and give me the proper support (thanks to the fantastic info that is provided in the intro to this thread). But I have been noticing that whenever I take whatever bra I have been wearing off (i.e. to take a shower or massage the implants) the implants seem to have taken on the exact shape of the bra cup. This just seems to drive home the point of this thread, that wearing the right bra is crucial!

When I was trying on bras I found that I tended to fit a 38C, 40C or 38D, depending on the bra. I also found there was a big difference in the fit going from, let's say, a 38C to a 40C in the same bra. And I didn't fit the same size in what looked like very similar bras, even from the same brand. As a result, I'm leery of ordering online, even though I am SO in love with some of the bras that have been recommended here.

I did purchase an underwire bra that seemed to fit all the criteria discussed here, and I was going to wait until I got the okay from my PS. But since my implants so obviously take on the shape of the bra I wear, I really wanted to see what they would look like if I wore the underwire bra. I have worn this bra all day and when I took it off, I thought that if my implants were to stay in that shape, I would be a very happy reconstrutionista! Which brings me to my question... My skin marks very easily. As such, when I took the bra off an imprint of the underwires was clearly visible on my skin. The wires seem go right around the perimeter of the TEs, without actually touching them. Is this indicative of a good fit?

In case it helps, I'm proving a link to the bra below, which is the Triumph Cool Sensation Minimizer Bra. Does this bra look like it measures up to some of the other bras that have been recommended? BTW, some descriptions of this bra say the cups are molded, but they have no shape to them and collapse completely without something filling them out, just like unlined cups would. I have been assuming that "molded" cups means the ones that have some sort of thin foam that helps them retain their shape, is that correct?

http://www.nowthatslingerie.com/en/details.php?id=1868-cool-sensation-underwire-minimizer-triumph-lingerie 

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Buddha -- I have bras of many makes -- Freya is just one of my faves :)  I also love Calvin Klein and Wacoal. I also LOVE those Elle Mcpherson bras... just haven't managed to buy one yet.  Whatever floats your boat is key.  But I will say I've never had a problem fitting my gummy into a bra.  That is not a worry.  Since you're in the UK, by the way, where the range of gummies (even in the 410 model) is, I believe, variable... you may actually end up with one that is softer than mine (I think the USA gummies are the firmest available).

Here's a link to a woman's video blog of her whole experience from BMX through exchange (more than one video) and she is in the UK and received gummies also (she links this site in her BCO profile so I am not violating her privacy):

http://www.courageismystrength.com/

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

I appreciate the responses I have gotten.  I am now at 7 weeks post exchange, and there has been a lot of difference in my appearance.  I no longer have pancakes.  In fact yesterday I was "mushing" a ziplock baggies of amish bread starter and thought this is exactly how massaging the implant feels.  My good side - Glinda has dropped and fluffed somewhat.  But she also hangs like a baggies of amish starter.  All the way across the side she resides on.  The only way to give her a shape is to pull her into a bra cup.

So I pull her into a C cup and she will totally fill it and shape it nicely.  No real cleavage to speak of, but I know that can be a revision later on.  Now the other side - cranky Maxine.  Maxine was radiated and she looked fine right after surgery.  But over the last 4 weeks she has been riding higher and tightening up and stings and makes me miserable.  However, the implant is just as malleable.  The muscle loosened up and I massage her all around.  But she's tightened into a smaller space on the chest.  I suspect she's in contracture.  The PS suspects it too.  But he wants to wait until it stops changing shape and believes we can change her appearance with fat graphs.  Another PS consultation suggested that I try the fat graphs first as it's a less involved procedure.  If they can't make this radiated skin project more, and loosen up, I may have to redo construction with a lat flap on that side.  That's where I'm at.

I was fitted in a boutique that does implant sizing for bras, and although I can fit Glinda in a C cup, the mastectomy care chickie said my IMPLANT needed a DDD/F/G as far as how ROUND it was.  But Glinda as fluffy as she is doesn't come close to fitting that size cup, even though I order 3 part, lateral support minimizing bras.  I realize they aren't done changing yet.  So my question is...Do we ever actually fill our bras by ourselves?  I have pur fits to fill the fronts so the cups don't look like sad, saggy sacks of amish bread starter.  But the whole purpose of reconstruction for me was to not have to think about mastectomy bras and prosthesis. Maxine, well she's at a disadvantage and I just have to do what I have to do with her.  Sometimes I use the pur fits and sometimes I just push a wad of gauze into the front sides and pull it around until the wrinkles in the bra are gone.

This was the bra they gave e to wear home.  I'm wearing the pur fits in the font and you can see there's still some wrinkling in the front of Maxine.  I haven't quite gotten the hang of how much fluff to add to the form.

This is immediately after taking this bra off.

You can see the wire marks that encircle the implants.  So I believe she was correct that this is the size the implant needs.  But I'm not sure I will ever fill the cups they need.  The marks you see across the fronts are from the pur fit forms.  Maxine (the tighter, dark one requires a larger pur fit but you can barely see the marks because she's so dark.  These photos were taken LAST week, which was 6 weeks post op.  There's not been a significant change in appearance though.  When Maxine is stinging and being very cranky I forgo the pur fits and just fill the cups with gauze.  It seems to be less irritating on the skin.

I love lacy bras but right now, I have barely been able to tolerate lace against the rad skin for an hour or two...out for dinner or church and then I'm bailing out of those bras into something stretchy.  But as someone else said, when I take the bra off, I can see the structure of the bra molded the implant to sit the way it should (excluding Maxine who does her own thing.)

So back to my question, will I have fill these bras or should I resign myself to living with breast prosthesis.  Do I need to just be patient and let the girls keep changing?  Has anyone had a rad breast resolve it's issues and then drop and fluff?  My new bras are beautiful Elomi and Goddess bras.  I'm excited to get them.  I just wonder about the fit.  I question whether the underwires might be too big and I could get a smaller cup to still go around the implant but fit the front better.

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69
    I also feel a little sheepish.  My PS is one who doesn't like underwires.  But after talking with women at the support group meetings, they were all encouraging me to get the underwire anyway.  They told me they have nonwired bras they wear as well.  But their experience has been that the underwire bra does a better job of training the ligaments, and muscles on how to hold the implants in place.  So I blew my whole bra budget on underwires, and one goddess sports bra that is kind of uniboob looking but I'm told I won't jiggle in it.  So I feel sheepish for "disregarding" my PS's recommendation on bras.  But I know full well that I have 3 nonwired mastectomy bras that I can wear should he through a super big fit about the wires.  They are all C cups and I can fill them on the Glinda side,  But Maxine still needs help even with a C cup.

But C cup is what the PS told me I would be after the exchange and the implant sizer put me in a DDD cup.  So there's a part of me that thinks he's the PS and he does the surgery but he doesn't know jack about bras.  So I did what other women told me to do instead.  Tongue out
  • shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Fragrantroses, my exchange was 3/28 and I wonder too if we ever fill cups. I've tried so many that fit good except for part of cup. Maybe its lack of nipple. I don't know, but I have found that I fill up demi cups. Have you tried those? Im a 34DD in most bras, and so far VS dream angels demi fits best - its wider and good for the roundness and I fill up cups fine even though nipples not done yet.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

fragrantroses  i have seen many with women with two differnt sizes in their breasts and I ususally can get them in a molded cup. Although one side is a little hollow in clothing there are no ripples so it is not detectable and gives a nice round shape with no prosthesis.