Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

Hi Dragonfly, I still think MAxine is quite gnarly, but the upper pole softened significantly this week.  I started wearing the push down strap nightly last week and it made a BIG difference.  He said her main problem is the hard leathery rad skin and he thinks he can change that with "several" fat graghs.  The resident explained the whole fat graph skin factory to me and it made so much sense to me.  They are really positive they can release this skin and she should in time look more similar to the non rad side.  My incision on that side is still very firm and the PS told me the tissue above and below the incision as well as the incision was still VERY swollen.  It looks a lot better so I thought it was normal for it, but they believe in another 6 weeks it will all be soft.  So I am feeling a lot more positive.  He said magic words, "We can get the projection you desire from fat graphs."  YIPPEE

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Love what your PS said to you Rosey!  You DO deserve the finest bras money can buy :)

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Blessings,that is about the most hilarous thing ever! I would never return such unless it was in a sealed pkg.

Seems like your PS is thkg like mine,No underwires,sports bras at all times. I am not happy with the looks of mine and so nervous waiting for drop and fluff,today was my day to take off the brown tape and the scar on the cancer side is awful,the other one just a line. What happened? The TE on the cancer side was fine! Guess it must have been the pocket? They are not the same anymore since the cancer side dropped down. Wonder will they ever look right? I gotta phone my cancer buddies and ask about all this,its so depressing. Dont get my heart rate up? When can I exercise this big tummy away? They wouldnt look too bad if the tummy wasnt there looking like I am 6 mo til birth! I could wear tight shirts and they would look fine. I go on vacay in 30 days and afraid to ask the PS about sex but one PS online told his patients to wait 6 wks b4 raising the heart rate. Then what? Is there lingerie without underwires that looks good? My life is total shambles!

• fragrantroses

What is this business about not raising your heart rate?  I was told to start exercising again as soon as possible, but to not raise the arms.  I was cleared for my stationary bike because I can get on it and sit without having to hold on.

Deborah (Whippetmom) was quoted that she believes there is a after exchange depression that happens.  I certainly had it for about 5 - 7 days.  I was freaked by what I saw when the bandages came off.  Now my incision line was great.  But I looked down and saw nothing.  It got better.  I found the whole exchange thing kind of anti climatic.  All the prep and waiting and wait...."THAT was IT?" 

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I was encouraged to get active right away too. I just walk (but briskly and up to three miles). No lifting more than 5 pounds and no arms above my head (I did wash my own hair though!). I was thinking more weight lifting!

• SweetCaroline
    SweetCaroline Member Posts: 11

How long has everyone waited post exchange to be fitted for a new bra?  I see my PS tomorrow for my two week post exchange check and I'm hoping she will let me start wearing a real bra instead of the surgical bra.  I have already tried on my before UMX bras and the cup size definitely needs to be larger.  I was planning on stopping by Nordstroms on the way home to at least get a sports bra and an everyday bra.  If my PS still wants me to sleep in one I'll just use the surgical bra.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

sweetcaroline-I had my post exchange follow up one week after sugery.  My PS liked the way everything looked and at that time told me I could wear a regular underwire during the day and sleep in my surgical bra at night.  I went a couple of days later and got fitted because my before bra was a little small in the cup.  I see him next week for my one month follow up so not sure what to expect then.

• Layla2525

fragrantrose,yep my PS gives instructions,no raising heart rate until she gives her ok at least 3 weeks,you are supposed to "stroll" (guess I gotta find someone from the 1950s to show me what that is,think it is walking slowly) to avoid blood clots but no power walks. 

My friend who got augmented said she took all her fav bras and poked a hole in the end and took out the underwire and just kept wearing them. (??) I could wear underwires and take out the wire but my old bras are not gonna fit the Vita Muffin tops that I got installed (oh sorry,I didnt realize these were implants!!) Maybe I will buy one bra when the BraGG go on sale but dont thk I can afford many of those.

I went back to work after a week evn tho I was tired from the anesthesia cuz I was getting OCD,I was obsessing whether the sports bra was too tight not tight enuff,whether the girls were gonna fluff and drop and why one dropped and the other is still on her high horse. Worrying that I was craving Rocky Road ice crm and potato chips and other Femara issues. At least work took my mind off that jazz for 10 hrs a day.

fragrant,you got surg in July? Have you drop&fluffed much? 

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Fragrantroses, I enjoyed reading your post. Your PS sounds like a good guy - we know its not just surgical skill that is important, but compassion for all we've been thru means so much too.

Does anyone know how long after revision surgery is ok to exercise? I had revision today and forgot to ask. Ill call tomorrow but am hoping im not out if commission for too long. I walk 3 miles a day and do 1 hour of vinyasa flow yoga, so a lot if stretching but nothing high impact.

• fragrantroses

Sweetcaroline, I'd recommend waiting at least 8 weeks for a good bra...I'm mean a really good bra.  I went to a store at 4 weeks and was sized at a DDD/F cup size and they ordered them.  (And I'm STILL waiting for them to come in.)  The problem is that I was apparently still quite swollen and obviously not dropped fluffed or even pouted.  At week 8, there was a big change in my fit and appearance.   My rad side is fluffed, but not dropped because the rad skin is holding it up and back.  But it's fuller and spread out.  The non rad side, dropped and fluffed, and feels like the implant came forward and centered more.  So those 42 F bras are not going to fit for sure.  So obviously I can't order more until they come in and I can show her I've lost size because the swelling went down (although I also think she incorrectly sized me, but I'll blame it on the swelling and never go back).  Then I will have to wait another month for my bra to come in.  These were coming from Europe.  She said 10 business days but it's been 5 weeks!

However, several weeks ago I went to Penny's and got a Bali bra...minimizer.  It fit my flatish implants nicely for now.  But it's stretchy so it will still fit after I have graphing done. 

My own question here.  The Bali bras I bought were a 42D.  The band is snug and the wires fit around the implant well.  It seemed that a C cup was right ON the wires in the Bali.  So I ordered some bras called Choice Comfort I believe...they have wires that are under and up the lateral.  While the bra was still snug, the cups...they were woefully big.  It was a good thumb width between my implant and the side wire.  So I'm returning them.  My question is I fear the C cup might be a tad small if I ordered a 42 C.  If I went up to a 44 C would the cup be just a bit wider or is that not enough difference to MAKE a cup difference.  My ribcage is 43, so I go up and down according to fit. 

• Lilah

Rosey -- I think the rule of thumb is up a cup size, down a band size... so 36DD is equal to a 38 D (in my case); instead of a 42C you could try a 40D?  Are you able to go to a store and actually try it on?

• fragrantroses

No I'm not.  It's an internet company/catalog store.  However I got free returns!  lol  I ordered it from Woman Within or was it Roamans?  because as a bodacious woman's catalog - I knew I'd have my choice of bras.  I have yet to find a bra that makes me swoon.  I must be picky because I've seen pretty ones but not the ones that scream, "You will never be self satisfied until you are wearing ME!"  Usually the ones that take my breath away are the ones that don't come in my sizes.  Although if I can kick my butt in gear to lose inches...well that would be my reward...a breathtaking - where's the fainting couch - I'm going to swoon - ge-orgeous bra.  lol

I fear that a 40 band would take my breath away in a bad way.  I seem to remember trying one on, and it's probably the one that as soon as they clasped the back and I was panting "get it off, get it off".  Oh well, maybe I will call the company and see if customer service can tell me how those run.  The fitter's notes like on herroom should be on every website!

• fragrantroses

Oh, here's another question...I'm almost swooning.  If the fitter's note say the cups are running one size smaller, wouldn't that be perfect for a flatish D cup?  If my 44D runs one size small in the cup and they tell people to go up from their normal size, I'm thinking it might be perfect for Glinda and Maxine.  I'm falling in love with the champagne color.  :)

• SweetCaroline
    SweetCaroline Member Posts: 11

Thanks for the responses SherryC and fragrantroses.  I had my visit with the PS today and she says no more sleeping in bra and I can wear any type, underwire, etc.  I did stop at Nordstroms to get a couple of everyday bras and a sports bra to wear until I drop and fluff.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Carrol2-I get you on the gross bras returned at SOMA. I can't believe people even think about returning them.  I have not worked at SOMA for 2 months due to my broken elbow and had torn rotator cuff repaired yesterday, ugh! Can't wait to see the new Embraceable line. Right now the strapless EVA is my friend as DH can put it on me and not disturb shoulder.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Delilah ouchies hope your feeling better soon. FYI employees get 65% off the new bras this week.

• fragrantroses

Carrol, does that included about 200 of your new long lost sisters?  lol

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

fragrantroses well not exactly but the entire boutique is 15% off right now. I can give my BCO sisters discounts as they bcome available to me. PM me if your interested and I will tell you how.

• Layla2525

www.5min.com/...Bras-After-Breast-Reconstruction-326716606
    - Cached
    More
    results from 5min.com »

Hey ladies, I ran across this link when obsessing over what bra to wear and I had a 36A bra and now the sites are calculating I need a 34D,what the heck is up with that?

Dunno if this link will work,if not maybe just type it in your search engine,apparently an ep from the Doctors TV show that I missed.

• Dragonfly2012
    Dragonfly2012 Member Posts: 45

Ok, I am now an official member of the "pretty bras make everything better" club! The company I work for is downsizing and I received my notice of termination today. I was feeling pretty low, I don't have much of nest egg and I need to find a new job fast. But I went and bought myself the prettiest bra I could find.. with proper underwire support, of course. It will be my good luck interview bra!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Dragonfly2012 - Welcome to the club!  Kiss

I'm sorry about your job!  Undecided  Prayers that you get a good one soon. 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Went to the outlet mall yesterday and did not realize there was a Soma there.  Bought a bra and some really pretty panties.

• Dragonfly2012
    Dawne-Hope, THANK YOU! Kiss
  • Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Dragonfly - So sorry about your job, I do hope the new pretty bra is a lucky interview one. I think a pretty bra makes one feel prettier and therefore boosts self-confidence so prayers you get a good  interview and a new job quickly.

• fragrantroses

So sorry about the job situation.  I hope the bra does give you good luck....you might try wearing it on the outside of your shirt.  They would certainly remember you!

• Lilah

Dragonfly -- sorry about the job but YEAH for getting a bra that makes you feel special :)  A new door will open soon for you!

• Dragonfly2012
    Delilahbear, fragrantroses, Lilah - Thank you all SO much for your words of support Kiss. Rosie, I burst out laughing and spit my coffee all over myself when I read "try wearing it on the outside" Laughing.  I work in marketing... there's no such thing as bad publicity??? Don't think I have the guts to try it, but the thought will keep a smile on my face during an interview! I'm off to finally figure out how to post pics on the picture forum so my good luck interview bra can make its debut in front of the only people who will ever see it!
  • Lilah

Dragonfly -- LOVE your new bra!  Looks like it is sewn with good luck thread ;)

• Layla2525

Dragonfly, you crack me up "the good luck interview bra".  Will be happy when released from the snug sports bra, I never liked the t back bras and I have to wear styles that come up around the neck like a button down shirt or the sports bra shows. Its annoying. 

I want to ask the PS if after a few mths I can go to the Genie bra type but still looks like the straps are so wide they show. I always had lingerie straps on my regular bras. Isnt there a bra like the Genie bra style that offers lingerie straps and diff colors and lace top edges? I thought I saw it and I saw you could get a seamless matching panty,I had a seamless from Israel import one time and I got so spoiled on it with my sensitive skin,I started wearing the Hanes inside out. 

• fragrantroses

I wish there was a "like" button dragonfly.  I hope your internal giggles make you smile so beautifully that they give you the job just to keep the smile.