Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Ran my first race in 20 years yesterday morning! :)

It was awesome! Truly. Wore my bendon Maxx out! ;)

While in the city I went to Saks Fifth Avenue looking for Freya PJ's. I had looked online and thought maybe I could find them there but no. :(

http://www.freyalingerie.com/lounge.aspx

But of course, I had to check out their selection of bras and there was the nicest salesperson...and yes, you know what happened. :p

I got a b.tempted 953151 (made by Wacoal) in a 30d ...and it was sooooo comfy. Not crazy expensive, either, $40.00. I have yet to wear it all day which will be the true test but I really, really like this bra. I'm on the hunt for the ever allusive perfect t-shirt bra.

http://www.barenecessities.com/b-temptd-by-wacoal-express-yourself-underwire-t-shirt-bra-953151_product.htm?pf_id=btemptdbyWacoal953151&search=

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Wahoo Dawne -- way to go on the race! 

Love the new bra too.  I love this new line from Wacoal. 

Those PJs are adorable. 

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I can vouch that wearing new bras to the job interview works! I applied for a promotion at work and wore my Chantelle C-Chic low cut (the one with the little rhinestone decortation) to the first interview and the Wacoal "Alluring" for the second interview. I started the new job yesterday! I wore them under my clothes!!

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3641-c-chic-sexy-3-part-plunge-underwire-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-855107-alluring-full-figure-underwire-bra.shtml

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

dawn woohoo on the race.  I have tried to run and I just don't think my body is made for it.  I'll still to walking and weight training.

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221

Question for you ladies - I had a BMX with reconstruction and now have my permanent implants in. My PS gave me an RX for bras and told me to go to Nordstrom. He said that I could wear any type of bra that I wanted but could get insurance to cover some of the cost this way. Because it is a bit of a drive, I went to a local mastecomy shop that advertises a huge selection. The woman there could not understand why he sent me if I am fairly symmetric and don't need bras with pockets. Anyone with reconstruction get bras through their insurance? Anything special I should know?

• Estel

CJRT - Your PS was wise. Nordstrom has trained post-mastectomy with reconstruction fitters. They are specially trained to fit women like us AND they know how/the ins and outs of working with insurance companies. They will handle all the paperwork.

• Estel

CJRT - On this page it explains that will file with some insurance companies.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/prosthesis-program?origin=srcontent

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Golden - congratulations on the promotion and way to go with the pretty bras for the interviews.

• CJRT

Thanks so much, Dawn. I will check out the link. I appreciate it!

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Dawnhope,you are running? do you have implants? Is it ok to run with implants? How long have you had the implants if you have them? Did you have a special sports bra to wear during the run? Do you mind if I ask what kind? It must be darn good to hold up for 20 miles! congrats on your run,was it for BC? They are gonna have one here soon for raising money for the Susan Komen but I dont agree with their philosophy.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Layla LOL -- 20 questions!  Is it bigger than bread box?

• Estel

Layla2525 - Yes, I am running but I'm also 2 years out from my exchange.

It takes time for the inner pockets to heal and if I remember correctly I think it was at least a 6 week wait - 3 month wait to be able to run.  At that time after my exchange I didn't even think about running.  I was just thankful to be able to walk.  So ... I've had to work up to the running.  

I wear the Bendon Max Out bra for high-impact activities.  It's my favorite:

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-73-408-max-out-technical-support-sports-bra.shtml

I also have a Freya work-out bra (both an underwire and a soft cup sports bra) but I like the Bendon Max out better for working out.  Here are the Freya work out bras:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4392-active-underwire-sports-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4492-active-underwire-sports-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4001-soft-cup-sports-bra.shtml

I also have a Lululemon Tata Tamer soft cup bra but I like the Bendon better than this one too:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-sports-bras/Ta-Ta-Tamer-II-31110?cc=6738&skuId=3463995&catId=women-sports-bras

Bottom line:  If you're a runner, ask your PS when you could start again.  High Impact activities right after the exchange are not wise because the pockets need to heal first.  Depending on the pocketwork that was due at the time of the exchange ... that time will be different for each one of us.  Follow the guidelines of your PS if you want to run again.  But know that you can do it if you want to ... you may just have to wait longer than you might think.   

• Layla2525

Thx Dawnhope, sorry for all the questions. Thank you so much for all the info. I am totally upset,my PS is leaving the state and they are hiring a new dr by Nov so they said I can come back then and am doing fine,dont lift anything and I can walk around and be sure to do the "massages".  They are leaving me with the new dr to do my nip surg?!!

You are 2 yrs out so what we really wanna know: Is the drop and fluff really true or just something the PS tells us so we dont cry our eyes out knowing that a bra will never fit right again? Do these implants ever really get close to the size of a bread box? 

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Layla do you have access to the picture forum? Seeing the progress of others can be quite helpful. 

Hang in there.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Layla2525,how did your PS tell you to "massage" the implants?

Does anyone know how long we should massage them? Months? Years? Forever? Im so sick of feeling myself up. Im also not sure im doing it correctly or often enough

• Estel

shore1 - My understanding is forever because our chance of CC is forever while we have the implants.

• Layla2525

Jamie, I do not know how to access the picture forum but it might help.

yes shore, as Dawnhope says the massages are forever,otherwise the pocket will close up naturally and the implant will become tight,then hard and then painful and most likely then would require surg to remove it. My current PS (I have seen some other ways to do it)says to basically take your thumb and forefinger from left cross it over your chest and grab the bottom of the right hamburger bun aka your new implant boob,then you pinch it until the top of the implant moves up,she says about 10 times and holding for about 20 counts each time,like a repetitive set of exercises, then you cross over the other way to do the left side,it doesnt matter which side you do first,just remember to do both sides at least 3 times a day for (anyone know how many yrs?) then after the first few yrs you can just go once a day and yep for "rest of your life". Nothing massagy about it if you ask me.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Just to add my 2 cents worth :)........LAYLA, you WILL be able to run and do high impact work with implants, as long as they're well supported. Believe me, they will let you know if they are not happy with your sports bra! I taught dance aerobics (Jazzercise) all the way through my BC journey - was back to teaching 7 weeks post BMX, then about 6-8 weeks after my exchange and revision surgeries. Just listen to your PS for advice about when to get back to working out. It's so necessary for our mental health, you know!

I love the Bendon Max Out, too, though I don't fill out the cup in the nip area so have a little crease in the center of the cups. My students all know my story, though, so it doesn't bother me. I also love lululemon's Ta Ta Tamer bra, plus many of their pullover bras are designed for max support. They change styles all the time, though, so if you like one, buy several :).

And just a side note......not all of us massage.....my PS doesn't believe in it, so I've never massaged mine and they're soft as can be.......and yes, they've dropped a bit. The dropping differs between individuals, though; it seems like much of the drop depends on how the implant size and skin ratio. Mine will no doubt always be high and fulI, due to my implant type/size and skin. I don't mind, though, as I never had a visible IMF before BC anyway!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Am I the only one that doesn't bounce when I work out? Maybe I am just thinking of the bounce I used to get pre BC. I can wear a very light stretchy sports bra, the Barely There, comes in pretty colors,  to zumba. I don't feel any bounce. I never asked my PS what to wear to work out, but he did tell me to wear underwire during the day and a sports bra to sleep in. But I am now a year out.

• Golden01

I would bounce in light stretchy bra doing Zumba or even my brisk walking or hiking. For hiking on a rocky trail, the Wacoal underwire bra is my bra of choice. It is a little bit like "maximum security bra", nothing moves but it is comfortable.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Well now i've gone through many bra fittings and bought one balcony bra cause all you ladies said i need or should  go underwire. While it is majorally sexy looking, there was a little discomfort at the end of the day. So as I type i'm braless. Now i'm not compaining just thought i'd tell you i've become one of you.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

CJRT - Please be sure to call Nordstrom and tell them exactly what your insurance is.  When I set up my appointment by phone I was told that they would take care of the insurance paperwork.  I had an order from my BS.  Nordstrom didn't ask any details about my insurance so I had no reason to believe there would be a problem.  After my fitting and at checkout I was then informed that they take insurance, but not my insurance (which is a big company in my area).  Be very specific when you call to schedule, especially if you're driving a distance.

The first mastectomy shop I then went to, Hanger Prosthetics, was suggested to me by the Nordstrom's fitter.  They measured me and the woman basically told me they didn't have anything that would work for me (very limited selection).  It was part of a large chain devoted to prosthetics and the lingerie dept. was a tiny part of the business.  I ended up using my prescription at a second mastectomy shop.  They typically carry different lines of bras than what you'd find at department or lingerie stores (more what you find on the surgery undergarment websites) and seem more geared toward the non-reconstruction mastectomy patient.  I was told that all the bras must have little pockets sewn in the cups to hold prostheses.  They really don't get in the way, but they can be snipped out if you don't want them.  I ended up getting some cute camis with built in shelf bras and a sports bra which is good for yoga class (no underwires).  The other bras they offered were very heavily padded and no underwires.

Others have had luck at Nordstrom regarding insurance, but that didn't work for me :( 

• Golden01

Nordstrom did not handle my insurance either. They were very clear though on which insurance companies they did work with so I didn't have any questions. The hospital "botique" did have bra fitters and helped me get three bras that my insurance company paid for but they did not have underwired ones which is what I was looking for at the time. The fitters at Nordstrom and the hospital shop came up with very different sizes. The Nordstrom ones fit much better! I think I was just so happy at the hospital shop to be back into some kind of real bra, I thought they fit great! I am still looking for that non-underwired perfect bra and Nordstrom hasn't found anything (neither has Saks, Dillards, Macy's, or Penney's) so I am planning to go back to the fitter at the hospital along with my bag of bras and show her the ones that fit the best.

• CJRT

Tina and Golden - Thank you so much! I feel like I can't get a straight answer from any of these places. My insurance company is vague and needs the Rx and paperwork to give me information. I can't get the paperwork til I go. The one shop acted like there is nothing for someone who has had reconstruction since everything has pockets. Nordstrom's is vague on the phone about what is covered with my insurance. "Sometimes 6 are, sometimes 3 are. Just tell your insurance it is for 'surgical bras.' Don't give them any other information." After all these other medical appointments and juggling care for my 2 kids, I don't want to drive all the way to Nordstrom's and do all the fitting and shopping BS only to find they are not covered. I know it's not a big deal. I just feel like my patience for dealing with anything mildly annoying is totally gone. Thanks for the heads up!

• Golden01

It is a big deal. Avoiding annoying is important. The other day, I was in the Post Office to mail a small package. There were three clerks but one was really crabby. She was rude to customers and other employees alike (one employee was new and didn't know all the ins and outs). As I stood in line, I hoped she wouldn't be my clerk. Of course, when it was my turn, she called out "next". I simply motioned for the person behind me to go ahead and in a few seconds a very nice clerk was taking care of mailing my package (was returning bras to HerRoom that didn't fit). I have breast cancer, I don't need crabby people in my life.

The hospital gift shop took care of all the paperwork with the insurance company for me. If you have a hospital that cares for a lot of people with cancer, you might see if they have any services like this: http://www.shc.org/Medical+Services/Cancer+Care/Patient+Programs+and+Support+Services/Tina%E2%80%99s+Treasures+Boutique

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Hey all . I bought a groupon for blockbuster express and then they took the kiosk by me out. So I have 5 codes to redeem if anyone wants thems. You go online to blockbuster express you can if there is a kiosk close to you. If so PM me and I will send you a code to use. I hate for it to go to waste.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    CJRT - I think the ball needs to get rolling by asking your breast surgeon to write an actual prescription.  Mine is familiar with my insurance so was specific by writing "5 mastectomy bras".
  • Layla2525

Golden that is too funny "maximum security bras",what can we say? Some bras just dont wanna go by society's rules. My PS is moving and they are hiring a new one. I dont go back til they get a new one to take over my PS practice. I am gonna see if I can wear one of those Genie/Coobie things when I get 3 months out. They said I should be able to go back in Nov.

I am wearing the sports bra for 6 wks. The PS says I dont need it at night cause no gravity but I feel more comfortable braless by day,tossing and turning at night make me worry that the implants will wander away out of the pocket :/ 

• CJRT

Thanks, Tina and Golden. Golden, I can totally relate to your post office story. It's like we battle so much that sometimes one annoying thing just feels like it is one too much. I somewhat lost it on someone from the DMV who suggested that I go into the DMV to get my registration that I had ordered online but had never arrived. It was while I was recovering from my surgery, and I actually told her that I was unable to go into the DMV and wait in line because I had just had cancer surgery. Hence, my ordering it online! I felt embarassed after for have played the "cancer card" but suddenly she actually was able to resend it!

• Layla2525

CJRT, hope mine doesnt get lost,I wanted to renew the driver lic in case I cross the border back to US dont want them to say its expired and gotta stay in MX I ordered mine online and sort of nervous waiting for it.

Anyone know about prosthesis in bras,I saw on the TSA website that if you wear that you gotta lift up your shirt and announce that you are a cancer survivor? WTH? Its none of their business,what about women who wear chkn cutlets and have not had cancer? Is it true? How are silicone chkn cutlets dangerous? I am wearing some til my implants fluff cause I hate being pancakes chested but looks like I might just take the underwires out and wear my regular padded bras. I always carry on my luggage cause once I went to Chicago and my luggage went to Miami and I had to borrow clothes OMG it was the worse nightmare ever,we tried to take the L train to the mall but had no luck and the ppl there were not helpful with directions. Now I always carryon my luggage and just take a few outfits to wear whatever else we need we go to a consignment shop and buy and then we just give away or leave the extra stuff we bought for $5.