Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Yeah but so far no deals on my size -- I don't know whether to cry or be relieved LOL

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    kayb - And who posted about bellelingerie?!  Wink  I think it takes one to know one, sister.  Tongue out
  • Estel

Lilah - I know, I couldn't find any in mine either.  Probably some mercy in that, I think.  Lol.  

Seriously, though ... it's fun to find some good deals because it CAN save you money on some pretty expensive bras.  And I'm all about saving money. 

• Lilah

Oy I found two I could not resist -- final sale so here's hoping they fit well :)

http://www.herroom.com/panache-4471-sienna-lace-balconnet-bra.shtml

and

http://www.herroom.com/fantasie-fl2631-sharon-underwire-balcony-bra.shtml

BTW it's UP to 70% sale... I think I got these for around 30% off.

• Estel
    Lilah!  - Gorgeous!  I think my favorite is the Panache ... but I'm always a sucker for anything purple!  Embarassed  So pretty!  Herroom is great at giving you tips ... I have a Panache that I needed to go up a size in the cups ... but it said to do so on the tips and I didn't see any tips to tell you to do that ... so I hope they fit well too!  Please keep updated.  That Fantasie is pretty too!  
  • Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Thx Sherry, cant believe yours are ready are only a week,we can only hope for such great success,drop and fluff and all that jazz.

I have 2 gorgeous pancakes next to each other with a little cleavage line but they are not fluffy so I am flatter than I was b4 BC. In addition they start way on my collar bone so they really need serious drop. However, my PS wants sports bras 24/7 and with this snugness I am thinking they wont drop&fluff for awhile,3-6 mo maybe? Yikes! The sports bra has a wide strap running close to the neck and connecting to a criss cross on the back so since the straps are not out on the shoulders like regular bras am thinkg maybe this will keep the puppies from riding high and encourage them to drop. Went shoe shopping with fiance last night but was too tired and dizzy to shop and had to go sit down. I think he got 2 pairs with the sale. Have 30 days to get well to go on vacay and need to go back to work before I use up my leave,then I wont be able to go on vacay. Hope I survive all this!

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237

Layla a friend of mine had a similar issue and she was instructed to push them down. When us your postop visit? Vaca seems like it would be okay but remember you heal more slowly on the inside.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My doctory had me wear a special band up above the breasts. It had a little rose on the velcro par! I think I wore it for about a month or six weeks. He'd have me move it a bit depending on how they were moving!

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69

Layla, I bought this gizmo to help with Maxine riding so high and the swelling she had up top.

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-24-standard-implant-stabilizer-band.aspx

You remind me that I haven't been using it lately.  I actually wear it weirdly now.  I bring it up over Maxine and down under Glinda.  Glinda doesn't need the pushing so I avoid her.  But the strange shape pushes Maxine even more forcibly.  It did help.  The doctor used this 2 inch ace wrap that I had to wrap and wrap around and after 2 days the stretch was messed up and it felt like a tournequet.  This strap is sturdier and heavier and I got it in 3 days or so.  It's 3 inches wide and boy it has support compared to an ace wrap.  The velcro closing it STRONG.

If you feel the girls are too high, you might check into this.

• Rosie24355
    Rosie24355 Member Posts: 46

I'm having exchange surgery on 9/12.  The PS said to get a sports type bra (that I'll wear 24/7 for 3 weeks) that fastens or zips in the front, has a bridge across the back and soft support on the sides.  Anyone have any idea where to start looking?

• CMartin

Rosie...jc penny has a decent zip front.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

For the period after mascetomy and exchanging out for silicone I wore a compression bra that I bought online that fastened in front. They give you so much support during the day and at night. don't settle though, get the kind with cups or a separte boob part. I mean not the kind that just flatten you.

• Lilah

Dawnehope -- thanks for the info re: tips!  I didn't realize that... though I did read reviews on both (and people were saying true to size for that Panache) and did read the info from the Herroom fitter (maybe that IS the tips)?  I will let you know when I receive them... should be in about a week (I paid $2 for the 3 - 7 day delivery -- seemed worth it to me! :)  I am a sucker for purple as well!  (And actually have been looking for a purple bra).

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

fragrant roses my PS put me in that strap thing after my exchange because one side was high and it worked but it was so uncomfortable.

• Rosie24355
    Rosie24355 Member Posts: 46

Thank you cmartin and owlwatcher.  Maybe I'll check the stores tomorrow (Labor Day) and they might be on sale!

• Dragonfly2012
    Dragonfly2012 Member Posts: 45

fragrantroses and Carrol2, thanks for the heads up on the implant stabilizer band. My left implant is definitely sitting higher than my right at 5 weeks post-exchange, but my PS would not acknowedge any kind of issue when I saw him on Friday. He made my next appointment for 3 months from now and I feel that is much to long to wait for a reevaluation, especially since I am not particular happy with how things look at the moment. I have ordered a stabilizer band and will hope that it helps to push the left implant down a bit!

• Dragonfly2012

kayb, yes, I will tell him. I'm sure he will tell me it would have happened regardless, but I'm not willing to take that chance. All the dents he insisted would pop out during the TE phase never did and had to be fixed during the exchange. I'm so, so tired of having to revise my expectations downward for the last year during this whole process (sigh).

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hey, girls! Just checking in after a few weeks hiatus......got my younger son tucked back into college FAR away, lived through IKEA hell in Chicago :), visited my parents, taught a gazillion Pilates and barre classes while my coworker/instructor was out of the country, etc, etc,......

I see my PS on Thursday for a 6mo check. This is the LONGEST time span I've had between appointments......he's weaning me....lol......will share what transpires with y'all! My only concern right now is my right side is a TEENSY bit lower than the left. That's to be expected, because the left side had a revision and he permanently sutured that puppy to my rib fascia so it's going NOWHERE! Not interested in another surgery anytime soon, but perhaps will initiate that discussion......

Fragrantroses-my PS had me in that band after my mastectomy. He used it to keep the TEs from gravitating up since he uses the low profile type and didn't want any pectoral expansion. It's a pretty effective little deal.

I realized I never shared the reviews of my new bras from several weeks ago! I will do that tomorrow!! Good night!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I have not used the band but my Ps has me in the same surgical bra that I had at BMX.  I wore it 24/7 the first week and then he told me I could wear underwire during the day and surgical bra at night for the next couple of weeks. He said then I can wear a bra when I want.  But I will also see him again about that time.

• fragrantroses

Dragonfly, I did not say it was particularly comfortable.  The first 3 weeks I wore the ace one 24/7.  I bought the Marena when I saw Maxine was NOT coming down.  Doc told me I could stop at 3 weeks, but I find that when I wear it I can see and feel a difference.  That isn't to say that she pops down and stays down.  I just fine that it helped a lot with the fluffing too.  I wear mine at night or aroun the house now.  I won't wear it out so much.  You are starting later, so I don't know whether to tell you wear it 24/7 or just at night.  You will fidget with it from time to time.  But I didn't find it excruciating.  I just figured for the price it ws a great investment to work on keeping maxine from crawling over my shoulder.

I always wore mine OVER my bras btw.

My PS saw me weekly the first 3 weeks, then at 6 weeks post op.  Then I'll see him on the 11th that will be a month since the last.  Then I will see him again in 3 months.  I plan to ask him on the 11th to detail to me how he does his fat graphs.  Do they use Brava over implants?  I don't know.  If they use Brava how does that work with radiated skin.  I watched a series of fat graph surgeries this afternoon and moaned and groaned through the whole thing.  They kept saying they "delicately" lip and inject.  It did NOT look delicate to me.  I will be happy to be sleeping through that.  They say you can bank your fat so they don't have to put you out for successive injections.  I'm thinking ha uh...you better at least give me some very happy juice then!

We watched that movie 127 HOURS and squealed through a good deal of it.  I have assisted in multiples of csections.  I held a beating heart in my hand during open heart surgery.  I watched a carotid surgery (that was really gross) but there's a BIG difference between an operating room and watching someone break their OWN bones and chunk off their OWN arm.  aaacccckkkkkk.

Okay I'm better now.

Oh I actually hoped on here because I've gotten three fittings and three "decisions".  I've got a D, a DDD/E and now a C.  So I can't use the charts at herroom because they stop at 38.  So I tried to understand the directions on livestrong.  So

An easier way to decide on your bra size is to multiply your breast width and subtract the bra size. Then you can use the difference to find out your bra size.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/189052-how-to-measure-bra-size-with-implants/#ixzz25NIureB2

I can not understand this.  One implant is 10 inches across the other 10.5  So using the slightly larger - 10.5 I multiply that by 2?  (seeing how I have two implants.  So that gives me 21.  But I subract the bra size?  Do they mean the band size?  Well to subtract 42 from 21 leaves a negative number.  lol  So does anyone understand how this works?  lol

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

My BS office has arranged to have a bra fitter come to the office once a month. They will submit paperwork to insurance too. So excited.  I am scheduled for her 1st visit in October.  I am told she as all sorts of goodies to make the girls look as good as possible.  I have to say, I feel very fortunate to have such a great medical team.

• Layla2525

CMartin, Supposed to see the PS on Wed but I was so dizzy when got home from hosp I made another appt for next Wed thinkg the 12th cause I didnt remember I had one on the 5th so gotta call them and correct that.

Vacay is the plane leaves Oct 4th for San Diego, guess I will be ok,my friend who had augmentation and then the saline popped on one side after 10 yrs,she recently flew into get surg and flew out about a wk later,traveling on plane by herself,I dont think I could have done that cause I am still light headed now and this is my 5th day, Thurs morn was the implant surg. Seems like 1/4 of an inch drop down since surg or maybe that was swelling around the collar bone. Had some bleeding last night,think I overdid it laughing and playing with fiance. However, I am proud of myself no alchohol passed my lips. I am exhausted today. Will be happy to see dr on Wed to find out what is normal. Seems like all this is normal and see if I need to be pushing them down or massage for keeping off contracture or anything else.  Have you or Blessings seen your PS? What are your dr saying?

• Layla2525

Dragonfly, I see you got your implants in July,Have you heard anything about the drop and fluff phenomenon?

• Dragonfly2012

Hi Layla2525, yes I have heard about the drop and fluff phenomenon! I am 5 weeks post-exchange and have seen the swelling diminish considerably, which has impacted the look of the implants. I can't complain about projection, mine looked flattish for about 2 weeks and then rounded out. But I can't say I've noticed much shift in position (the whole drop thing?) and that's what I'm hoping will still happen sooner or later. BTW... you mentioned bleeding in a previous post. Where were you bleeding, along the incision? If it starts up again and/or the area seems inflamed I think you should call your PS and tell him/her about it instead of waiting until Wednesday. No point taking chances!

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

kayb - my BS and PS work together closely.  They are both fantastic.  Very lucky. Plus the hospital has a breast health navigator who has her office in BS office.  I really don't know how I would have made it through the maze without her support. Truly grateful. Can't wait for my bra fitting!!!

• CMartin

Layla...no alcohol....fabulous. I saw my Ps 4 days post surgery and he said see you in three months!

• bcs2011
    bcs2011 Member Posts: 26

Just found this thread. Had my exchange/revision in June. My ps said NO underwire bra and NO bra that would push up or in at all (he did say no bra would be just fine).  I have always before bc wore a underwire bra so never even looked at the non-wired. I went bra shopping and I just don't like the looks of any of the non-wired bras. I ended up with 800cc and I feel like I need something to help support sometimes. I just want to get a pretty wired bra!

• Estel

Bcs2011 - Did he put a time limit on no underwire (3-6 months) or did he mean no underwire, ever? My PS wanted me to wait 3 months but I found I hurt without one.

• bcs2011
    bcs2011 Member Posts: 26

He said no underwire.

• fragrantroses

BCS2011 - My PS also has said no underwire, although he has not said NEVER underwire.  I didn't do underwire until about week 4 - 5.  I'm not at 8 weeks. I'm just guessing here.  I wonder if PS say no underwires because they fear liability should you buy cheap bras that poke and puncture.  When asked WHY no underwires, I was given reasons like "too high a risk of puncture" or injury.  Well I've worn underwires for probably 20 years.  And yes, I have gotten poked a time or two.  But I also came OUT of that bra within minutes...once in town, I pulled over to the side of road and got out of it immediately.  I have been scratched once because it was a favorite pretty bra and I tried to nurse the bra into keeping the wire in and kept wiggling out.  So I would often pull the wires out to wear at night or around the house while cleaning.  But I have never worn a broken wire so long that it gounged into my skin deep enough to puncture anything. But I suppose should it happen a woman COULD sue her doctor claiming her told her underwires were safe to wear.   After reading here I weighed what the veterans have reported as benefits of wearing underwires and their support against my PS concern about putting a hole in my implant.  I think I can probably manage to avoid that.  So I ignored my PS on this issue.  I felt it was important to get these girls into a wire cage so they learn what is good and correct, and stop trying to play "she'll be coming around the mountain."  When I had asked about bras, he has simply said...your mastectomy bras will be fine.  We will talk about this when the time comes.  UGH.  Men!

However, I have good news.  I had success at my search for a bra.  I went to Penneys (it's closest) and I found I FIT nicely in a 42D (snugly of course)

I came home with a Maidenform Lilyette® Dream® Minimizer with Ultimate Back Smoother

When I flipped those cups over Glinda and Maxine, it was like it knew exactly where to go and the girls said ahhhh. It could manipulate Glinda into it so she was all snug and under cover.  On Maxine, this really brings out the disformation the rad skin is creating.  That area shows the leathery skin restriction that feels adhered to something underneath.  Then there's areas where it's not as leathery and so it bumps and bulges there.  I really really hope fat graphs smooth that out.

Here you see the wires snuggling up against the back side of the implant.  That's how I described it a snuggle.  When I pushed on the wire toward my rib, it did not make my implant move.  It only moved it I pushed the wire toward the center.  So I determined at least in the minimizer bras, I wear a 42D.  Does anyone concur that this underwire appears to fit way better than that pink bra I was given?

I also loved the Bali Side shaping Live It Up.  The Bali Comfort U Back Satin Tracings, even a Playtex Secrets comfort gel strap bra, they all fit wonderfully.  But I brought home the Lillyette and I plan to sleep in it.  The girls won't know what hit them when I strap this puppy back on and put the push down strap over it.  I used it again last night and immediately felt Maxine rebelling.  But my morning she was a good inch lower.  Tonight she's back higher again.  So I may have to wear the strap during the day here at the house.

So due to the stretchiness of this bra, when I do have the fat graph, they should still fit, just be a tad snugger on the cup?  I mean the material snugged around the implant/breast mound but it was not "stretched" by any means.  I do expect to shove a little gauze in Maxine's crater.  Enough to raise the surface of the bra a little so the crater isn't obvious in tshirts.

They had no 3 part cups in my size, so I will probably order online.  So those of you with multiple bra shopping experiences, is it safe to assume if a Bali bra fits the implant width in one bra that another Bali bra will fit as well?  I know the cups will fit differently based on piecing and material.  But what about the underwires.

Next - can anyone give feedback on Breezie bras?  Love them, hate them.  There's a bunch on ebay in a 2 fer price.  I didn't know they were Breezies until I googled the description #s.  There were a bunch of women who complained the minimizer bras felt snug around the breast and didn't enhance it.  And I wanted to knock their heads....hello?  Let's look up the definition of MIN-I-MIZER.  But I also wonder if they have a legit beef on sizing.

And next time I will my dear hubs at HOME.  I took 6 bras in to try on.  Twice, I get a call "Are you okay?"  and the second, "How much longer.  It's been an hour and a half."  Well Shoot honey, it was inconvenient for the store to NOT place all the 42 size bra's together.  They are separated by label.  So I had to scrounge under racks and crawl through dangling straps to find a few different bras in a minimizer style.  THEN I have to undress, and put on a bra which is NOT like pulling up underwear.  There's clasping and twisting and flipping and bendin and smoothing.  Then you turn this way and that way and you decide this bra really accentuates the fat under your arms.  So you try to push that into the bra cup too.  Hey I figure every bit will help fluff the cup.  Then you sit, and stand, bend over and stretch to see if the darn bra can stand up to the pressure.  IF one of these bras broke loose it could put out an eye.  So darling in the midst of all this jangling and jiggling, I have to keep answering the phone to tell you NO I'm NOT done yet.  UGH!  Not to mention after about 30 seconds in one of those booths, I start to sweat like our old sow, Bacon.  Which makes putting a bra on and taking it off sooooo much more of a challenge. (I personally think it should be added to Ironman races.  Sweaty men and women having to stop, put a bra on over their tanks and adjust it and then take it off.  Some people would drop out of the race right there!) Before long the sweating becomes a hot flash and I start blinking red like a hazard light as I near spontaneous combustion.  The red reflects off the mirror and I have to keep wiping the sweat from my eyes to focus on the image in the mirror.  THEN I try to figure out how to photograph the fit so I can show friends and get their assessment of the fit.  Thank you ever so much for keeping me apprised of how long I have been in this cubicle.  Really, it has helped me speed up remarkably.  hurumph.