Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

fmaury

1)  I'm sorry that experienced happened to you.  Yell  Totally unacceptable.

2)  I would call Nordstrom and tell them about your experience - that it was much less than what you expected.

3)  Some of us have had a not-so great try at Nordstrom the first time.  Don't write them off forever.

4)  Go to a local specialty/masectomy bra shop or masectomy stores.  I've found some good ones.  

5)  A couple of bras that might fit the criterion you are looking for are the Marena bras:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-133-seamless-molded-cup-bra.aspx

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-136-molded-cup-bra-with-built-in-implant-stabilizer.aspx

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-135-full-coverage-bra-with-seamless-cup.aspx

(There are other ones as well that would work)

Or a Freya sports bra.  I was fitted in this one 2 weeks out from my exchange:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4391-active-soft-cup-sports-bra.shtml

There are many others that might work and others will suggest others but several of us wore the Marena bra for a while post-exchange.  I sleep in one.  

A word if you try to fit yourself:  Most of us were wearing the wrong size before breast cancer (too big in the band, too small in the cup).  Using a soft measuring tape, measure just underneath your implants (the IMF) and add no more than 4 inches (some of us add only 2 inches) to whatever that measurement is and that is your band size.  

I'm sorry that you had such a rotten experience.  Here's to some much better ones! [[hugs]]

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

So sorry you had a bad experience at Nordstrom. The one I went to had two fitters that were the experts in working with women with breast cancer. I called ahead and went when they were working. That said, in the bras you describe, they didn't have anything. I was looking for a bra like you describe to sleep in. They did have a great selection of wired bras though when my PS suggested that I switch to that kind.

I never knew buying bras could be so hard or cost so much! I have a call to return to HerRoom about my latest order. They should be open for business soon!  Thought I'd catch up at BCO until time to call.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Caroline

so sorry you had a bad experience. Sales people ( i know cause I am an associate at Soma Intimates) some times we get busy and can leave people waiting a bit in the fitting rooms. I had a customer complain about this with me the other day. I measured her, brought her 4 bras and then helped someone else. When I went back to check on her a bit later she just grumbled at me. Then she came out and wanted to buy one of the bras but told me she thought I did a terrible job because I left her in the fitting room too long. By the way she did not have an appointment and we were very busy. I then apologized and offered her $10 off her purchase to make up for it. She bought the bra and left but, a few minutes later came back because she lost her ring. I looked but did not see it so took and her name and number and told her if it showed up we would call her. That night she went home and wrote a nasty email about me to Soma. That was the first time in a year of working there that had ever happened to me, and I was pretty upset. I pride myself in offering really great service and trying to really create a great experience for my customers. I am still not sure what else I could have done for her. If we are busy I have to help other customers. 

Ok that being said I would love to help you find a bra at Soma. They have a wonderful wirefree vanishing back bra. If you would like to order it from my store in Leawood Kansas I can give you $10 off, and $20 off if you spend $100. Just PM me if your interested and I will tell you how.

• fmaury
    fmaury Member Posts: 11

Thank you so much for offering to help Carroll. I really appreciate it. However I went to Lord & Taylor for the first time yesterday and they had a very large selection of bras. I found exactly what my PS had recommended:'the Natori Yogi something. It's a wireless sports bra with a low band (i tried to paste it here but it doesn't work). Also I followed Dawne-Hope's advice and ordered one of the Marena bras online. If it works I might get more. Thank you both very much for your responses!

Caroline

• Carrol2

No problem caroline I am glad you found something that worked for you. 

By the way I am here for anyone who would like help with anything at Soma. Weather it is fit, choice, or price. I am here for my fellow sisters.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Fmaury, please let me know how you like the Natori Yogi bra after you've worn it awhile. It is one that is on my list to try, as I'm always looking for wireless choices, but find a lot of them come up too high. I really like the Agnes wireless from Soma. It's pretty and comfortbale.

Carroll, I'm still loving the Embraceable. I can't believe that I finally found a bra that doesn't hurt by the end of the day.

• Carrol2

shore so glad to hear that. I love the embraceable too, I was surprised how comfy it was and so soft. They are on sale I think still today buy one get one 50% off.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Wanted to update everyone that I no longer work for SOMA. Since I have been dealing with a broken elbow and surgery followed by realization that I also had torn my rotator cuff with surgery on it, I decided since I had not worked that job since July it was time to resign. It was definitely a hard decision and I have to say that Soma/CHICO'S was more than fair with leave of absence. I am facing another 6 to 9 months before full use of shoulder and starting 8 weeks of physical therapy several times a week. Have been in sling for almost 6 weeks.

Getting a bra on has really been an ordeal. Wearing my bigger in band ones, fastening in front and wiggling it around with one hand - most frustrating trying to get everything settled correctly.

I am rally looking forward to getting range of motion back to get my bras on correctly.

• Carrol2

Delilah so sorry to here this. I know it's hard to leave soma I really enjoy it too, and they have been great giving me time off for surgeries. But I know that it's very physical work there, on your feet a lot and lots of reaching, so your doing the best thing to help yourself heal. Perhaps you can go back when your feeling better. Something to try perhaps stepping into your bras and pulling them up would be easier. Maybe the vanishing back would stretch enough. I did this with everything after my surgeries, after buying tons of button down everything I realized i could just step into things.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Delilah -- sorry to hear about all the surgeries.  Sounds like you are doing what is best for you, though.  You need to heal!  Maybe when you are ready to go back to work there will be another job at Soma for you (should you want it). 

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Carrol2

Day when you say none of them fit how do you mean? Is is the band or the cup that is your issue. perhaps someone can recommend something who has had the same issues if your more specific.

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Do any of the other UMXers out there have trouble with the underwire widths?

• Carrol2

jamie i hear a lot of women like minimizers because the underwires are wider.

• Lilah

Day -- Wacoal makes a bra that is made of stretchy lace and is wirefree (I think it is called Halo) that ought to fit (assuming it's cup size that is the issue)... I think there are a lot of wirefree bras based in material that has some stretch/give to it (but not too much) which helps a lot with sizing.  Anita makes one.  I found these helpful to wear when I was uneven during TE phase (I'm a uni).  Also the sports bra that zips up the front (made by JC Penny -- called Underscore).  As Carrol2 asked already: can you tell us more about the issue? 

• Estel

kayb - I wish I could say a simple yes or no across the board but I can't.  Generally balcony bras don't work for me ... Freya is the one exception. Undecided

I do have Colette and I do like her.  I sleep in her or wear her under bulky sweaters ... the ruffles do show under t-shirts.  http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4711-colette-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

There is one style of Freya that I absolutely cannot wear ... and there are several names of that style out there right now ... I have one and it doesn't work for me at all.  I'll try to find it and post it ... 

I say go for Colette!  Kiss

This is the style that doesn't work for me ... but it is the only Freya so far that doesn't:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1131-ellie-underwire-balcony-bra.shtml

• Estel

And just to clarify, for ME, it doesn't matter in Freya whether it says balcony or plunge ... it is just one particular cut, the one posted above that doesn't work.  I have numerous bras in Freya both plunge and balcony ... it's just that one that doesn't work.  It is made for perky breasts that project ... which mine do not.  

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Day, If you want to wear a bra, could you wear one of those knit to fit kind? I think the Milania bra on the commercial is very pretty but I am still doing the sports bra. I was told to wear that til further notice by the PS. I am having some complications with the new foobs and trying to keep swelling down. I wanted to try one of the Coobie or Genie bras. Since I am only 6 wks outs,cant spend too much til I find out what is gonna drop and fluff. How far out are the ladies who are bra shopping?

• Estel

Layla - No one answer is going to fit here. We are all different as is our PS's recommendations. I think for me it was about three months. For others...six or more. Some, right away. It depends on your body, how your body heals and where your scars are...

I was two years out (post-exchange) in July.

• janiceg415
    janiceg415 Member Posts: 66

Jamie B86

I am a UniMX and don't have a problem with undewires not fitting.  And I am wearing the same bras (size, style & company) that I was wearing prior to mastectomy, these are just ordinary bras (Warners, Vanity Fair) found at most department stores. 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Layla - I wore my Genie bras for about two months after exchange, then I got fitted for two awesome mastectomy underwire bras.

I LOVE the way they fit! (Even though Lefty is still bigger than Righty....Undecided )

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Greetings, ladies! Welcome to all our newcomers!

Just a quick question for y'all.......I feel like I need to edit the header of this topic - which I've done before - but still feel its too long. I'd love to hear from you regarding which aspects of the post were most helpful. What helped draw you to this topic? I tried to cover so much, but I feel it's overwhelming for many.

Thanks for your input! Stay safe all of you East Coasters in the storm's path!!

• Estel

val61 - I'll think about it and let you know!  

A couple quick thoughts

1)  The explanation of encapsulation helped me visualize what you were talking about

2)  When I looked up some of the bras that you mentioned as options at the end, I almost fainted!  Surprised  I'd never seen such pretty bras!  But even then ... over a year ago ... some of them were being discontinued.  The list of options (especially the Freyas) needs to be updated because some, like "Eleanor" are nearly impossible to find now.

Thanks for checking in!

And I echo the thought ... be safe all those on the East Coast!  xo

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Ummmm......how about just a short "Post-Exchange Bras" as a topic header???

Then the discussion could include Do we need them? What kind? What does the PS say? What are your favorites? What issues do you have?

Kind of like we already have here! Every single discussion has been of interest to me...I love to learn as much as I can, even though I may not have the same particular issue as another sister.

• Estel

Lilah - I was parousing bra sites and came across this beauty. She's a black and lavender Lyla! Fabulous!

http://www.brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-lyla-liquorice/

Be safe!

• Estel

kayb - Here is a link to Freya's latest styles. Of these, the two Freyas I absolutely cannot wear are 'Martha' and 'Ellie'

http://www.freyalingerie.com/lingerie/latest-collections.aspx

Ingrid is an older sister to Martha. See how everything is the same except the color?

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/FRA-AA4451/Freya-Ingrid-Underwired-Plunge-Balconette-Bra/?size=30D&colour=Black

• Estel

Lilah -Thinking about you! Check in when you can.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161

I have found everyone one of my Freya bras have become too small for me over the course of the last year. I began a 32D for the first 4-6 months after recon, but now need a 32DD in all the Freyas I already have. Every one of them, darn it. I find this pretty odd since I have had weight pouring off me for some reason yet during the same period outgrew my bras? I can see the fake implant things not getting smaller with weight loss, but bigger? Weird.

My beloved Freya Carolyn is no longer available and I cannot find a 32DD anywhere. If anyone runs across one, I will pay ransom. Money Mouth

• Estel

MondaysChild - Grrrr.  I'm sorry.  Undecided

Check out the UK sites:

www.lembrassa.com

www.figleaves.com

www.brasandhoney.com

I'll keep my eyes open and let you know.  Caroline is one of my favorites. too.

Edited to add:  If you're losing weight ... you need a smaller band size, perhaps?  When you drop a band size you need a bigger cup size.  Maybe you're now a 30DD??

• Lilah

Dawne what a nice thing to return to (yes I have been afk due to power outages -- still have no power but I am visiting my mom, who has power).  I LOVE that bra!  You so know my taste!  Perfect.  I hate you now :)  (Just kidding).

My Hurricane Sandy report: no power, no damage, no flooding.  All is well!  Sending out heartfelt condolences to any among us who have lost far more than me (eventually I will get my power back, right???)