Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Susiell
    Susiell Member Posts: 7

Hi ladies, I just had my exchange surgery last week so I'm finding this discussion really interesting. My PS is of the no underwire after surgery school, and at my first post op appt yesterday (just to remove the drain from my lift/reduction side), her nurse practitioner told me I could wear any wire free bra that provides support. How useless/vague is that info? I am currently in a leisure type bra that I bought from a local bra shop that specializes in post mastectomy fitting (swapped the surgical bra immediately after the appt). It does provide some support, but i dont think its quite enough. Seeing the PS next Wednesday when I can discuss all of this directly with her.

So I'm curious. Since I only have one implant, but also have what is essentially a new boob on the other side, what is the collective wisdom on bras for this kind of situation?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

banksy - I LIVED in my Genie bras from BMX last December, to Exchange Surgery this past August....I had gotten them prior to my BC dx, and they looked stupid on my droopy, heavy, 38DDD Original Girls.

But post-surgically, they were awesome. They provided plenty of support during the day as my shape changed with the TEs, and were comfy enough to sleep in at night.

After exchange, I had to wait to be cleared for any underwire bras, as the PS did a LOT of pocket work. Back to the Genie bras I went - which supported my new 700cc implants perfectly, until I got fitted for my uber-expensive underwires. They were just fine.

For me, it was hard to go from a two-for-$19.99 bra to a $98 Simone Perele underwire, but both of them serve a purpose. Wink

Golden01 - I am SOOOO ENVIOUS!!!!! I want that bra!!!!! And in red? Ohmygosh....

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Blessings, you keep us uplifted in so many wonderful ways,lol. Wit & humor,very well put,yes,these ladies are the cream that rises to the top.

Yep,I have been toying with the idea of getting some Genie bras just for work and hanging out. Then I would like to get something more exciting as some have done. A red bra? Really? I have never had a red bra in my life! Black,lace,lace covered,designs etc but red? At Nordstroms?

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I've never had a red bra either! I did get mine at Nordstrom (triple point day). The red one is available at Herroom too:

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3641-c-chic-sexy-3-part-plunge-underwire-bra.shtml#

Ready for Christmas, I guess.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Red, yes! I've recently splurged on a red Freya Deco and Arabella. And a red Simone Perele. Take the plunge. :D

• Blessings2011

Oh, and let's not forget the Empreinte 0856, Missy!!! The Mardi Gras Bra!!!! Wink

• Blessings2011

Aw, Miss Layla....xoxoxoxo!!!!

• Estel

Oh, yes. I have been on a red binge! That thing is AmAzInG!

:)

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

That one is really pretty! My personal weakness is animal print, but purple is a runner-up. I have yet to purchase a neutral bra after recon. Every time I go in looking for one, I walk out with something bright or an animal print. Try, try again!

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

yes i got a red freya deco dawne up are my new role model

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

I am getting a little braver with the encouragement of all of you. I bought a blue bra today. I am working up to buying a red one. Maybe I should just move to Utah and hang with all the conservative people that I hear live there. Maybe I would fit right in. LOL..

• Estel

kayb - It was on sale a few months ago.  There is no way I could have afforded it otherwise.  If you ever get a chance to get one on sale, do it.  They're amazing.

Layla - Give it time, sister!  I'm 2.5 years out from my exchange and just this summer did I finally get a red one.  You'll get there.  Wink

owlwatcher - Did you order down a band and up a cup size or your normal size?  It's amazing it does to give 'oomph' and it is not a push-up bra.  

DLL - So funny!  Kiss

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

DLL I am the same way I don't want the neutral colors. But in the summer def need them. SO after I got all the fun colors out of my system I ended up having to buy a few in nude. But I have purple and blue and leopard mochachino.

• pamela35601
    pamela35601 Member Posts: 2

After my TE/implant exchange my ps told me to wear a sports bra 24/7 with NO underwire.  The problem with these is they smoosh my breasts together and get very uncomfortable after a couple of hours.  It feel like my chest is swelling and causes a lot of pain.  I'm still searching for the "perfect" bra...  I had my exchange one month ago.  My breasts are finally getting more rounded instead of square shaped.  Their shape had me really worried.  I have started massaging with bio oil which helps with the pain and hardness I sometimes get and seems to be helping to round them out.

• Estel

pamela - The 'perfect' bra may change over time.  Being only one month out from exchange, the Marena Bra might by a good choice for you.  There are several styles.   Here is just one:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-136-molded-cup-bra-with-built-in-implant-stabilizer.aspx

• Carrol2

pamela i wore and still do sometimes wear this really comfy sort of sport bra called barely there. It's almost like a stretchy half camisole. I have bought them at kohls and jcpenney. I wore it when my PS said to sleep in a sports bra. Now I wear it to hold my protective cones in place since my nipple surgery was 3 weeks ago. I also wear them to the gym. They come in a lot of pretty colors.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-622763/barely-there-customflex-fit-2-pk-bandini-bras-x069.jsp

• pamela35601
    pamela35601 Member Posts: 2

Thank You for replying Dawne-Hope and Carrol2  Smile

I really appreciate your help with this !!!

• BuddhaWolf
    BuddhaWolf Member Posts: 62

Good evening all!

Just popping back to see how everyone is... still lots of lovely Freya temptations being posted!! Cant wait to get into underwires when my exchange gets settled...

my exchange date is December 19 into anatomicals gummies (HURRR-BLOODY-RAH!!!) . I really hope it goes well, though am nervous that they stay put & not shift around as .

Dawne-Hope, thanks for sharing the Marena link.   Have you or anyone tried the Marena Bra, or a bra with this kind of strap after exchange? when does one use it? For sleeping? Did it help keep the implants in place? Im surprised that I can get this bra in the UK...

And Carrol2 - all the best with the new 'icing on the cake' nipples. All the best with your healing! And my the way, great new photo - stunning!

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Dawne-Hope i am a 34 DDD and with Freya I fit into a 32 F. BuddhaWolf my ps wouldn't do the gummies so please keep us posted with your satisfaction of the implants.

• Carrol2

Thanks for the compliment Buddah. I had a strap like the one with that bra that my PS gave me after the exchange. I think he gave me that about a week after. he said that help pushed them down into the pocket. He also had me pushing on them with my hands like 5x a day or using a step to lean on and push them down.

• Estel

A while ago whippetmom was concerned that the Chantelle c-chic was going away and was looking for alternatives. I don't think it is going anywhere but I found a Freya that looks similiar to the c-chic.  The wires in the middle come up higher than I personally like but for some it works.  It's Freya "Gem" and she's actually on sale right now at herroom.  

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1361-gem-underwire-balcony-bra.shtml

"Untamed" is coming out soon and it looks lovely.  From what I've read it is based on "Nina."

http://www.freyalingerie.com/lingerie/ss13/untamed/plunge_balcony_bra.aspx?colour=amethyst

http://www.brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-untamed-amethyst/

And the licorice "Lyla" is beautiful.  I've posted this one before but it's worth another post.  Cool  I have this style in 'Amethyst' and love it.  

http://www.brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-lyla-liquorice/

http://www.brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-lyla-amethyst/

• Golden01

Love all these links! Thanks, Dawne-Hope!!

Has anyone bought Freya swimwear? I'm looking ahead to next year and am wondering about this swimsuit:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-as3433-manhattan-underwire-tankini-swim-top.shtml

I'm a 34DDD after all these surgeries and think I'll need a good swimsuit that holds everything where it needs to be. My son lives in Hawaii and we are hoping to go for 2-3 weeks sometime next year. With all I've been through, I want to look good on the beach.

• Estel

Golden01 - I have a couple Freya swim suits and I love them. Make sure that it is underwire, not softcup unless you specifically want no underwire. Sometimes it's hard to decipher if it has underwire or not.

I found the Freya underwire suits to be very supportive.

Edited to add:
    Yes! The one you posted very clearly says underwire. Go for it, girl! :)
  • hawksfansarah
    hawksfansarah Member Posts: 41

Just a head's up: Nordstrom will add pockets to any bra you purchase from their store for FREE.

Sarah

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124

Golden! Love the suit! (and the site) I'm still in the TE stage, cant wait to get fitted for new bras, and get a bathing suit for the summer! A bunch of us girls are going to the OBX for a week next summer (kid/husband free of corse), and cant wait to show them off!

• Golden01

Just ordered my new swimsuit! Thanks for the encouragement. Hope it fits!

• Estel

Golden - Had you tried the size you ordered in a freya bra? If so, you should be fine. If for any reason, no...herroom is great with returns.

• Golden01

Ooops. I haven't tried on any Freya Bras. Will see how it fits. Do you know if any department stores carry the Freya swimsuits?

• Strike_Two
    Strike_Two Member Posts: 3

I can't wait to be at the point where I'm ready for bras!

My BMX/TEs surgery is  Monday.  :)

• Golden01

Herroom is having a 20% off sale on Chantelle, including the new red 3641:

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3641-c-chic-sexy-3-part-plunge-underwire-bra.shtml?utm_source=br&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20121130ChantPrimAlo4564&utm_content=3641Img#

I already paid full price for the red one so am on a bra budget until after the holidays.