Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Lilah - YES you will eventually!  Glad to hear you're OK.  

We were hit by a derecho (also called an inland hurricane) back in 2009 with 15 minutes of 90 mph winds and we didn't have a power for a week.  And that is like 1% of what you've just gone through.  [[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Ah Dawne -- a derecho is what a lot of folks in the community where I live think is what we had.  Many many trees were snapped off at the top (like the top 20 feet just snapped right off) and also a lot of whole trees pushed right over as if they had no roots (not sure if they did or didn't have roots or if the roots got snapped?)  Anyway the first time I heard that word was this week and now you have said it too.  It was a hellish night listening to that wind, let me tell you!  But where I live we had no flooding -- only wind -- so I feel lucky. 

• Estel

When it blew through here I thought I was going to die.  I've never heard a roar like that before.  I started seeing shingles flying through the air bouncing off cars ... we went and hid in a basement and starting seeing trees flying like missiles past the window.  Surprised  I've never in my life heard or seen anything like that.  I live in the midwest .... we have tornadoes ... but that was something I've never experienced.  It took out most of the area's 100+ oak trees ... so I truly do know that part.

Thank God for no flooding where you are.  So glad you're safe. I'm glad you're able to be at your mom's ... no power for that long ... is terrible.  

Love to you ... and peace!  xoxo

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Estel

Day - Your comment, "Bras that have the cups at the required distance from each other are too big in cup size" makes me wonder a couple of things.

1) We are not going to fill out a cup size like our natural breasts because the areola complex is gone.

2) Because of that we try different brands and styles to see which one works for us. It's not hard looking at various posts and seeing which ones are our favorites. You need to experiment and see which one or two or three will work for you. If you haven't already, go to a specialty bra store and try on a bunch. That will narrow down your options and you might even find one that works.

3) Because your PS isn't big on bras and because you don't seem to hurt or have other issues by not wearing one, consider a bralette or a camisole with a built-in shelf bra.

Also, I thought of this Wacoal when you were describing your breasts. This Wacoal is super stretchy and comfy. They have it at Macy's.

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-65149-halo-lace-seamless-underwire-bra.shtml

• Lilah

Dawne -- your experience sounds horrific.  I think it is a blessing that it was dark out (and that I had no power) so that I could not see much, only listen (scary enough).  Interestingly, all the trees in my area that had the top 20 feet snapped off were Oak trees.

Day -- it sounds like the "internal bra" you were given by your PS is more than doing the job of supporting you... and if the issue is wearing something under more gauzy clothes, it seems to me you should be able to wear cami's and other very pretty types of less-form-fitting underthings/lingerie.  This will avoid the cup issue altogether!

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Estel

Day - I would try another place.  I live in a rural area and I've done OK at local malls. But when I go to the city is when I hit the jackpot.  So, try another place - no matter whether you live in a rural area, burbs, or city.  Wink  

We've all experienced that not all fitters are created equal and not all places have a good variety of bras.  

Few if any of us just happened to find the perfect bra right away.  For many of us it's been A LOT of trial and error and returning things.  

As frustrating as it sounds ... keep trying!  Hang in there and keep trying!  

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Day i love the vanishing back bra and they do make one with no underwire. I like the wire for myself for the support but I agree with Kayb you probably dont need that.

• Lilah

Day -- I went to herroom.com and searched "lace wirefree" just to give you an example of what I'm picturing for you (and that I think can work with your situation)... have a look and tell me what you think.  This black lace bra (called "Hanky Panky") is wire free and looks like it might sit over your breasts the same as a cami -- it's just about looking sexy (no support but you don't need that).  What do you think? 

http://www.herroom.com/hanky-panky-487002-signature-lace-racerback-bralette.shtml

This one happens to be racer back... but I'm sure there are others like it out there that you could try that aren't.  The key word here is "bralette"...

• Estel

kayb - No, I haven't.  But it is cute and I like all the colors!

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Don't give up ladies still looking for a bra. i was fitted by 5 different  bra fitters. it has been 6 months since the exchange and I finally found a Freya this weekend and a walcoal last month that fits. That internal bra does keep our choices llimited.

• Estel

owlwatcher - Glad you found something that worked!  Kiss

• Lilah

Yay Owlwatcher!

And Kayb -- love that cosabella! 

Day I hope one of these wire free stretch lace bras can work for you...

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Wacoal sale at Herroom through 11/12/12.

http://www.herroom.com/

• Gemmy1
    Gemmy1 Member Posts: 31

Kayb,

I wear that Cosabella bra. The lace stretch one. I have it in four colors and LOVE it! I was so happy you posted it as a good post exchange bra option. I am one week post exchange tomorrow and I have been curious about bras post op. it is good to know that what I have and like will work well.

Thanks.

T

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170

Hi all,

This thread is very long, so I admit that I haven't read it all and apologize in advance if this has been mentioned. I never had a post exchange period as I have one step implants with Alloderm. Style 15, 457 cc's. I actually don't need to wear a bra at all, but I teach first grade so a bit of conservatism is called for. I love all the fancy, sexy bras you've mentioned but underwires become uncomfortable for me after few hours. Just found Bali comfort revolution bras. Two wireless styles, one comes in traditional band/cup sizing, the other in a size range that translates to S,M or L. I bought several of the size range style (M) and love them. The cups have a light foam lining and are wide, as are many of our implants. Super soft and comfy with a very smooth, natural look (but not mashed down). Will keep my fancy Felina's and La Mystere's for special occasions but the Bali will be my new everyday bra.

Caryn

• MENA1954
    MENA1954 Member Posts: 111

Can someone please tell me how to attach a page on here?

Thank you,

Mena

• Lilah

Copy and paste?  (Highlight link, control C... then put cursor into message box and click control V).

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Does anyone wear that lacey Cosabella beyond the immediate post exchange time? For wireless, I've been wearing the Agnes from Soma, which I I really like. I also have the Wacoal Awareness which is very supportive for a wireless, but it's not attractive at all & comes up too high, but it's good for sleeping.

I don't feel like I really need underwire, and my PS said it's up to me, but I do have some because there is just better selection and they are better looking than the wirefree. In underwire, after much trial & error (& spending lots of $$), the new Embraceable average coverage from Soma is my favorite. It's acually comfortable all day long, is pretty, and is reasonably priced. VS Dream Angel Demi also works for me, but isn't as comfortable as the Embraceable. Im measured as a 34DD,and I have Mentor 600cc high profile, but the implants must be very wide because many of the bras I've tried hurt along the wire even though I've experimented with different sizes and got measured in several different stores. Not so with the Embraceable - this is the most comfortable bra ever for me.

• Estel

578958_10151147384567393_692482502_n.jpg

• Golden01

My absolute favorite Chantell C Chic is now available in red! I put myself on a bra budget but may have to get this one.

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3641-c-chic-sexy-3-part-plunge-underwire-bra.shtml#

• Estel

Golden01- Pretty!  I've been on a red bra kick recently.  I bought a red Freya Deco & Arabella.  Now I'm going to add red Chantelle to my list! Kiss

• Golden01

I have both the C-Chic 3582 and the 3641. The wires on the 3582 come up higher than the ones on the 3641. The 3641 also comes in red and purple while the 3582 does not. I like them both!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I bought the VS dream angel in the demi cup and it is very comfortable for me.  I also bought a black demi cup at SOMA I don't remember the style but it is comfortable as well.  I have found that the demi cups fit my implants the best.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Bra Divas!

Just had the most amazing experience at Nordstroms in Newport Beach last week....the fitter was the lingerie department manager with years of experience in fitting post-surgical and mastectomy bras, and was an absolute sweetheart.

The first "real" bra I tried on when my PS cleared me for underwires was an old pre-BMX bra with a racer back and front closure. It was a 34DD with a great fit. Then I went to a mastectomy fitter locally, and found two gorgeous Amoena bras in a 38C. They, too, fit great.

In the Nordies dressing room, the fitter measured me and said I was a 32"-33" around my chest. I almost fell over. I used to measure 40+"!!!!

The first bra she brought in was the Chantelle 3641 (C-Chic Sexy) in a 34DDD Surprised OMG, the cups fit like a glove over my implants. Totally surrounded, supported, and the middle was actually flat against my sternum.

The only problem was the extra side skin and flab left over from my recent weight loss that looked awful and made the bra look too tight. She then brought in a 36DD in the same bra, but the cups just didn't look as good.

From there, she must have brought in at least 30 bras for me to try.

I ended up getting an everyday Wacoal 85567 (Awareness) in beige, and a Simone Perele 12M331 (Celeste Demi Plunge) in black lace. (That one cost a fortune, but hubba hubba!!!)

So here are the bra sizes I now wear: 34DD, 38C, 36DD, and when I can lose some of the flab, that Chantelle 34DDD.

I can see this is going to make it really difficult to order bras online.

Unless I can try on the actual bra in a local store first, I won't have any idea of the fit - so I'll have to order the same bra in several sizes and return the ones that don't work.

Anyway, having a beautiful bra sure does make me appreciate the work my PS did on my reconstruction....and really does make the imperfections I see seem minimal.

And - three months out from exchange - I can REALLY see the difference in shape when I wear my underwires all day long. (He did tell me to never go braless, except at night, when I was sleeping.)

• manksy
    manksy Member Posts: 3

This stream of posts is fabulous. The shared research is incredible--and presented with kindness wit and humor. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I would love some advice. I'm 8 days post-BMX with immediate implants. I was a 34DD (thank you Nordstrom for finally getting me in the right bra!). The PS said he was going to try and keep my implants the same size as my origial breasts but if nececcssary I told him he could go down a size if he thought that would give a better cosmetic result. For now my PS has me strapped in plastic (I feel like I've been seran wrapped)--he did it once post surgery and rewrapped me a week later after he removed the first two drains. He's planning to move me to a MediChoice Surgical Bra for a week or two and then recommended that I buy the Genie Bra (http://www.geniebra.com). He says his patients swear by it. Really? An infomercial bra? I'm not convinced. Am I going to go from fabulous Chantelle bras to... the Genie? I mean the price is right--but is the support? Any thoughts on this, oh lingerie divas?

• Golden01

Don't worry, you'll be back to the Chantelle's. The Surgibras and Genies (I didn't have one but lots of women here swear by them) will just be for awhile. Let things heal and the swelling go down and those fitters at Norstrom will be helping you again.

Oh by the way, I stopped by Nordstrom yesterday and picked up my new Chantelle C-Chic 3641 in red. Yes, panties to match. The clerk was wearing one too! Hot item.