Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

ARGGHHH!!!! Mortgage or bras....mortgage or bras.....Yell

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Blessings of course, bras. Dawne-Hope how many Freya red honey deco bras is too much? You probably know already know, but it's coming out in purple this month.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

owlwatcher - LOL!  Laughing  Actualllllly, I don't have ONE Freya Deco HONEY bra.  I only have Freya Deco.  The Deco Honey has lace on it, correct?  

You're actually asking the wrong person on how many is too much?  Wink  I'm thinking if you like it ... get it in every color!  WinkKiss

Freya Jolie is a favorite.  I don't have it in every color ... but I have it in several.  Let's just say I have the purple/pink spectrum on Jolie covered! 

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448

Uh-oh. I have a huge weakness for purple bras & animal print too...

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My PS told me the same thing and I'm so glad I waited. I've spent a lot since then (and have great bras that fit well to show for it) but would have spent even more if I started before the work was really done and all the swelling gone.

• owlwatcher

I talk about bras so much its starting to annoy people. That's their problem right?

Dawne-Hope the Freya i'm talking about is AA1254 the center is only 1 3/4 which is good for me since my implants are fat. I looked at the Jolie and i think it might work but they don't have my size 32 f.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Had my nipple surgery and lipo on my sides a month ago. wearing my soma vanishing back bra and it's very comfy even with teh nipple protectors in there.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

I've always been kind of quiet and shy but the universe is forcing me to get implants and tatoos! So,I might keep just one white bra for white blouses and get crazy. Yeah,get crazy with the ladies on here. Why not have red and purple and animal print?  Chantel and Freya's come in bras even with 2 colors right?  Gotta get some surgical glue for the fake nips until I can get the cap contracture cured and get my plastic surgery ones. Funny thing, I remember one time after my divorce,my son was about 11 or 12 and we were doing laundry and he says,"Hey mom,how come you buy all those pretty underwear if nobody is going to see them?" Uh oh,was it time for the "talk"? LOL...

• Estel

Layla - Get a nude color bra to go under those white shirts and YES go crazy with us!  Kiss

And some of the Freya's come in 3 or 4 or more colors!  Wink

I'm single so no one sees mine but boy do I feel better knowing what I have on!  Cool  My only regret is that I didn't know how fabulous matching undies can make a woman feel ... it does give confidence and puts a smile on one's face.  I have fun picking out which pair to put on each day.

• Estel

Last night for no apparent reason I decided to go through all my bras and sort.  

Surprised  Was my reaction when I pulled out absolutely everything and saw how many I had.  I'm asking for a lingerie dresser for Christmas.  No.joke.

I've reshuffled my dressers and drawers and put everything away in a new order.  Before I had t-shirt bras in one drawer and my Freya lacey bras in another.

This time around I've coordinated them by color scheme and mixed up the t-shirts with the lace ... we'll see if it works.

But in the process I pulled out bras that I bought right after my exchange that I haven't worn in 2 years or I bought in a size to accomodate pain and swelling and they don't fit anymore.  

I debated what to do with them but I found a woman's shelter nearby on the internet last night.  I called them today and they said they would gladly take them.

It was more emotional for me than I thought it would be.  Those bras were the very first bras I bought after my exchange.  Those bras represented many things to me ... feelings and emotions that were were buried until I dug them out and decided to give them away.  

Feelings of loss, of hope, of joy, of surprise that there was a whole lingerie world that I hadn't known, cyber friendships of sisters that had gone through similar things ... thank you to everyone for their wealth of knowledge and encouragement all along the way.

You all are a gift.  Thank you.

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Layla - you quiet and shy? Really? Never know it. You're super fun!

Dawn-Hope - what a sweet post. Isn't it odd the things that set the emotions off?  Some woman going through a rough time will feel extra special wearing one of your pretty bras. It's very kind of you to share.

• Golden01

Dawn-Hope - Thank you for the lovely post! You are so thoughtful and generous. There are parts of moving on that seem difficult. Sometimes, I find, if I stop and take time to acknowledge those feelings, I do better. Doing better every day is my goal. Some days I achieve that and on other days, I don't. You've helped me remember that it is a journey.

• BuddhaWolf
    BuddhaWolf Member Posts: 62

Dawn Hope - you beat me to it... Nude bras all the way under white - for those who can find nude in their skin tone. AND you've made me well up w tears... Lingerie was at first a battleground and reminder of my difference, and now is my significant other! Connecting me to so many cyber- and virtual lovelies. Thanks for your words...

Carroll2 - Hope the healing is going well! Can I ask what type of nip recon you went with? Thanks as well for the post exchange bra with strap tip.

Anyone else worn a bra with a strap post-exchange (like this one below)  to make sure implants / gummies stay in place?  I'm aware that Ive got the issue of preventing rotation with my unilateral gummy, and am keen to have the new exchange & augmentation stay in place...

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-136-molded-cup-bra-with-built-in-implant-stabilizer.aspx

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dawnehope -- I wish there was a LIKE or a LOVE button for that touching post about the experience of sorting your bras.  Hugs!

• Golden01

I did not have that particular bra but wore a strap like that after my BMX (w/TE placement) and again after the TE exchange. Had to wear it so long I wore the velcro out on one or two! Went through at least three of the straps. It worked (along with a little pocket work), everything is in place now!

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239

Hello ladies, sorry if this may be a repeat question, but is it normal to still have achy pain in my breasts almost one year after a BMX and implants?  Also, what is the difference between a CT and Pet Scan?

Thank you!!

• B123

One more thing... how do they do the nipple reconstruction, is it in the office, do they pull skin??? 

• owlwatcher

b123 i still have moments of discomfort and im 8 months out from exchange. my ps does nipples in his office. yeah he just pulls skin up and cuts a v. so far im not going to get them.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

B123 - A CT scan uses X-rays to look at anatomy and might involve giving either IV or oral contrast material.  A PET scan is a Nuclear Medicine procedure which looks at anatamy as well as physiology.  A radioactive tracer is injected and the scan is done to see how the body traps/absorbs it.  Both are done by taking multiple pictures from different angles (you go into a tube or donut-shaped machine) and the docs end up looking at cross-sectional slices created by a computer.  There are now also hybrid machines which do CT and PET simultaneously or sequentially.  Each type of scan is better for showing different things.

• Golden01

My new Freya swimsuit came today and it is a great fit! I wish the underwires came up a little higher on the sides, but other than that, I am very pleased. Thanks for the encouragement to order it! Need to start working on my Hawaii plans! If I didn't find some swimsuits that fit my "new ones", I didn't think I could go!

http://www.herroom.com/freya-as3433-manhattan-underwire-tankini-swim-top.shtml

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55

I had my exchange on Tuesday. Wednesday my PS unwrapped me and gave me a surgical bra to wear ( although it looks more like a vest!). It's really been rubbing me under my arms. I took it off earlier to wash it and pulled out an old Soma Heidi bra. It feels so much better. So here's my question: is it a big deal if I sleep in this bra instead of the surgical "vest"? It's not underwire. It fits really well. And it's so soft!

Lori

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Lori - Hi, glad the exchange went smoothly!  My policy is.....when in doubt do what the PS instructs.  Sorry :(

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Wow, Golden01 - that swimsuit is REALLY CUTE!!!! Laughing

I tried a tankini top once, but I had such a big gut it just rolled right up under my boobs. Undecided Now that I'm skinnier, I might try one again.

loriio - Congratulations on crossing over to the Squishy Side! How long did the PS tell you to wear the surgical bra? I'm with TinaT on this. If you really are uncomfortable in the surgical bra, just call your PS's office and let them know. Maybe the answer will be "Go ahead and wear whatever you want..." but you won't know until you ask.

I had extensive pocket work done, and had to stay wrapped in my very tight (did I say TIGHT?) Ace bandage for three days, but after that, the PS said to wear a sports bra.

• B123

Thank you owlwatcher and Tina!! I am about 9months out and I feel some pain and achyness, I worry over everything now.  My rad side doesnt feel smooth either.. that worries me too.

• loriio

Thanks all. I'm back in the beast. I go back to my PS a week from Monday but I may call before. I'm more comfortable today-don't feel as smushed. I'm assuming because the swelling has gone down.

Lori

• cailindearg
    cailindearg Member Posts: 19

HI ladies,

Wow, it seems that there are some very different instuctions from our PS, I just had my exchange 4 weeks ago, I came home with something like to big bandaids over my scars (1 on each side). It was the same even after my bmx!! He didn't recommend any bra whatsoever...no massages, nothing. When I asked him about bras 2 weeks post exchange he said wear whatever makes you comfortable. I just ordered 2 soft cup bras from Soma, I think they're called "heidi". I've been eyeing some of the pretty bras you gals have been posting about. (Freya beautiful!!) I will hopefully make a purchase soon!!
    I got the tear drop silicone implants from Sientra, I had drains in for 10 days because my PS said the skin needed to adhere to the implants to keep them in place. I had Allergan MV 400 cc expanders in,my implants are 400cc also. I have found with these implants is that they look very natural looking which is great in one way but now I think I could have gone a bit bigger, maybe 425 or 450. I don't have that barbie cleavage that I had with the expanders, I feel now that I need a padded bra to give a bit more cleavage at times....something that I thought I wouldn't need after the surgery. BTW I'm 5 4' and 118 lb to give you an idea. I know different sizes look different on different pp denpending on body type. What are the smaller gals wearing for bras?? Oh by the way, I was originally a 34a and wanted a 34 full b, not exactly sure what I am now, maybe somewhere around there. Anyways just thought I throw this out to give another perspectiveSmile Happy bra shopping!!
  • loriio

Callindearg-

It sounds like we are about the same size (I'm an inch taller). I went for full B/small C. I do have cleavage now but we'll see when the swelling goes down. I like the Heidi bra. It's a good everyday, practical bra. Once things have settled down a bit, I'll be looking for prettier bras too.

• cailindearg
    cailindearg Member Posts: 19

Loriio, what size expanders did you get?