Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Thank, you, Dawne-Hope! I remember now......all your pain......I'm honored that this thread offered you hope and help :). I WILL include some of our favorite bras.....it just may take me a few more days to do that on the header!

Carol - You asked a very good question - is there benefit with a three-part cup bra? In a word, YES!! The structure of the seams adds a great deal of stability. If correctly fitted, the "foob" will have VERY little movement at all - which is exactly what we need, especially in the early months after exchange. Something about the combination of that structure & fabric with little stretch really keeps the implant against the chest quite nicely. My trusty three part bras (all Freya, though other companies make them, too, of course) are my saving grace when I start aching - which happens when I spend too much time in unwired sports bras. I even sleep in them! Aesthetically, they are often pretty,but alas not great for wearing with closely cut knits. The seaming is evident. But somedays, I honestly don't care!

Delilahber - thanks for the tips! I actually ordered some new bras last night (no Freya's this time), so I'll let y'all know how they turn out!

• karody
    karody Member Posts: 12

My PS had me wear a support after surgery when sutures were fresh, but told me after that whether or not I wanted to wear a bra was totally up to me.  He said, "Your skin is now your bra."  He makes them so you don't need a bra.  I have never worn one since.  Certain outfits might need a little cleavage or I might need a shelf tank to disguise my now perma-nipples, but otherwise I don't wear one- even when I compete athletically.  I LOVE the comfort and freedom from the bra.  Three years now, and mine are still high an tight :).

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Thanks Val I guess the seams really had me wondering how that would look in a tshirt. I suppose in the winter in sweaters not an issue. I never had issues with pain if I didin't wear a bra myslef but I know many women have that and really on good support to get releif.

• val61

Good for you, Karody! You are one of the lucky ones!

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Val61, yep even tho the dr told me I could wear a bra or not after healing. It was my choice,but after wearing one for 20 yrs or more,just feel not dressed without one. However, trying to figure out what would work? The "new" ones are not the same as old ones so the old bras didnt fit right. The sports bras work best for me. The dr told me to use them,I guess from experience they know those will fit most folks best. I tried the Genie bra but I am not liking them so hope the store lets me return them.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Val I think what's great about this thread (aside from you and Dawnehope always having great shopping suggestions... as well as many others) is just being able to see options and get ideas (not to mention hear about sales).  Especially when first dealing with post-exchange fit, it's SO helpful to come here and get advice.  I too never thought about things like 3-part cups before this thread... nor was I aware of the existence of such a thing as a Freya bra (or any pretty bra like that) in a D cup size (with any band).  Revelations!

• Obxflygirl1
    Obxflygirl1 Member Posts: 106

Wirefree comfort bra......... Bali Comfort Revolution Smart Size "shaping" Revolution wirefree.

PS doesn't want me to wear underwire...now...go figure.. But I found this Bali bra and its shaped like a sports bra and sooo comfortable and supportive. You can wear it with t-shirts, etc.or other fitted blouses/shirts and everything looks so smooth, nice, round and perky.

This one has very thin contour cups and will be good for the high beams later on. Bali makes Another comfort revolution bra without contour cups, and the tag doesn't say "shaping" even though it says smart size. (Learned that the hard way)

PS liked it so much for the support and how it shaped me that she got the name for other patients. It's easy to sleep in also.

Just wanted to pass this along for information. Hope everyone has a good day today. Thinking about you DULCIGIRL ....and other exchange ladies this week. Let us know how you are doing afterwards.. Hugs to all!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

I do have a question for the Freya affecionados.  When I went to Nordstroms the sales person told me that a DD in Freya was the same as an E but online I do see that they have DD and the the DDD is an E. I wonder if the DD would fit in the front of the cup a bit better though the wires on the E do fit nicely around the implants. I may order a DD and see if there is any difference. I think that the reason I liked my SOMA Selena lace bras are that they have some darting in them that sort of mimics the support factor of the 3 part cup.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Delilahbear - I understand it the way you see it on line .. D, DD, E ... there is not DDD ... DDD is E.  But that's just my understanding.  I'm a D so I don't have any experience.  Val could give us the definitive word.

Also ... I went to Nordies today and got to see in person the bras you brought and that morning meadow bra is GORGEOUS in person.  It's cute in the picture but it blew me away in the person.  Everytime I go in there I beg them to get Freya's in my size.  I like popping in there when I can so I can see them in person ... sometimes it is hard to tell by just looking online.

I've found that the 3 part cup bras, like morning meadow, look better under a t-shirt than the lace ones ... but also ... the lace ones do fit my foobs better.  My favorite one for the least showing under t-shirts or silk shirts is Freya "Lacey" but nothing is going to give the smooth result under those shirts better than a t-shirt bra.  I personally don't mind the seams showing in something like a t-shirt.  

The 3 part-cup bras that, for me anyway, show least under a t-shirt are:  Freya "Pollyanna" "Lacey" "Faye" ... and others that are now discontinued that are like "Morning Meadow" ... cloth instead of lace all the way.

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa5922-pollyanna-balcony-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4791-lacey-full-busted-underwire-plunge-bra.shtml

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4201-faye-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

• Amrdbit
    Amrdbit Member Posts: 41

Hey ladies, 

I had my double mast on Dec 13, and am doing preventative chemo until the end of April. I know my PS can't do the expander to implant exchange until a month after chemo ends, but I have a couple questions in the mean time. I'm still wearing a wireless bra, as per my PS's instructions. but what have y'all heard about strapless bras? (Wired or wireless?) I live in Dallas and have always lived in strapless bras in the summer. After a double mast's what's the concensus on these? Wearing a bra doesn't phase me at all..... until I get to the summer. If I can't wear a strapless.... that will be more annoying to me then anything else I've encountered so far. (Well.... besides the C diagnosis in the first place. :)! Anyone have any opinions? Deb

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

regarding size: in wacoal i wear a 34 DDD but in freya a 32 f. i believe d is d, dd is e and ddd is f but that is just my experiance.

• Estel

Owlwatcher - Thank you for the clarification.

Amrdbit - I don't know the answer to your question. It depends on how body does after your exchange surgery. I needed more support than a strapless bra could give me right after my exchange. But not all women do. Listen to your P.S. and follow his instructions. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

• Estel
  • Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I agree with owlwatcher 

• val61

Welcome, Armdbit! And greetings from just west of you in Fort Worth! So you KNOW I understand about our summers! Talk about a beating! I have found strapless VERY difficult to wear after exchange - they generally just don't stay up on me. I have worn them for formal occasions, but find myself hiking them up at every opportunity. I think it's very hard to get an underwire strapless to hug the implants well. However, last summer I found an UNLINED UNDERWIRE that wasn't too bad. I bought 3 even though they didn't come in my size - I just wore them on the tightest hooks. This summer I'll probably have to take a seam in them since they stretched a bit. Here it is: http://www.herroom.com/Wacoal-65449-Halo-Lace-Seamless-Convertible-Bra.shtml?brand=Wacoal&sku=65449&kwid=548bda0f17a9410bba4ca0c6edb24674&gclid=CLrUwd3ktLUCFQSpnQodghEAkw

• val61

Delilahbear - the Nordies associate was incorrect. Freya makes both a DD and E. Most likely the reason she told you that is that Nordstrom doesn't seem to carry DD in Freya for some strange reason - at least not in my size. So I've never been able to get a Freya there :(.

One of the great things about one of my favorite bra website, herroom.com: http://www.herroom.com/bras.aspx?gclid=CM77rL7mtLUCFSNqMgodoC4AaA&kwid=sitelinks-kwid^4162f31877cd4cf38d29235b0a3edd9e-sitelink^HerRoom+Bras-campaign^[Adl]+[Brand+Terms]+[Google]+[US]+[Tablet]+@ADL4+HerRoom+@ADL4+(Exact)-sitelinktype^navigational is that they use what they call "Universal Sizing". They designate beside the size if its DD, DDD, etc. so makes it much easier to get the correct size.

• val61

Attention workout Aficianados : I found a NEW sports bra - and it's underwire and UNLINED!!! I was so excited, since my job involves wearing a sports bra all day, I've been on the lookout for a comfy one. While I love the Bendon Max Out and lululemon's Ta Ta Tamer for my high impact work outs, they're just too much to wear while I'm teaching Pilates and barre. I often wear lululemon's pullover high impact bras (their styles change so often, it's hard to recommend one, but I especially love their "Energy Bra"), but my foobs ache by the end of the day. If I get an hour or two break between clients during the day, I'll often go home and just put on my trusty 3-part cup Freya underwire for awhile. But.......today, I wore this new bra for.....tada....TWELVE hours!! It converts to a racer back with an easy clip and the straps have plenty of length. The sides come up a wee bit higher than I prefer, but it didn't bother me after awhile. Plenty of support for high impact aerobics, but comfy enough to wear beyond an hour of class. It's not cheap, but here it is: Shock Absorber B5063 http://www.herroom.com/shock-absorber-b5063-sports-underwire-bra.shtml. I'm going to buy more!!!

• val61

Dawne-Hope - great link about bra fitting! Exactly what we talk about here all the time! And even better, the girl tried on one of MY personal favorites, the "Andora" by Simone Perele!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Thanks to all for the D DD E info for Freya. When I can I will order a DD online and see what fits. I will wear what Ibought at Nordies but may order the same in a DD online.

As far as strapless, I wear SOMA allura convertible and eva unlined strapless. I don't seem to have an issue wiith them staying up and wear them frequently.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

It would be easier if i only wore a d cup than a triple d, e or  f cup. i would definately have more bra choices. to add in the complication my foobs are very close together so the "center" for me is ideal at 1 3/4 or 2 inches. Darn. I do love Soma undies.

• Estel

Owlwatcher - There are many choices online.

Check out herroom.com and barenecessities.com

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Bra gurus, I could use a little help in navagating the new girls through the next stage.

I had my post-op appointment yesterday and my PS told me to stop wearing the compression bra 24/7. He wants them able to move around a little. Righty specifically needs to drop and move out a tiny bit. And of course they will both be changing a lot over the weeks and months to come. Now, he had no preference of bra type. He said it should be comfortable.

I left having no clue what type of bra to go to, but on my way home I passed Nordstroms so I stopped in just to look for ideas. (Please cue heavenly music now....) The store had just opened for the day. I'd never been there. And I was feeling pretty emotional. Enter Jo Ann....my bra angel! She walked up and asked if I needed help and I said I was just looking and explained my situation. Guess what? She IS a certified mastectomy fitter and also one of the kindest people I've ever met!

I'm still very swollen (one week out today from exchange) so she measured and I got just one to have something. It is a Chantelle smooth cup underwire in a (Good grief, Charlie Brown!!) 34DDDD.

So, my questions:

Even though my swelling will go down the width of the implants will stay the same. Does that mean the size will not change but I'll need a different style? Or as the swelling decreases will my cup size still go down like real ones do with weight loss? My new bra's underwires are the perfect width....but I'm still not sure if the depth is quite right. Should the underwire sit directly against the IMF line? This one actually sits a bit below it. She told me to try it for a couple of days and that if it doesn't feel right I can come back and we'll get it right.

What other letter equals 4 D's if I want to try looking around? G?

Trying not to think about those d's....FOUR OF THEM!!!! Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!!!!!

Thanks for any thoughts/advice on fitting!

• Dulcigirl

Thanks! I am part of the pic forum, just need to take/make time to figure out how to reduce pics. I'll try this afternoon. GREAT suggestion.

Shazam is right!!! With a few tears....

I wanted to be a full C.

Truthfully that may be what I end up looking like and I've tried several of my jackets, coats and shirts. Even with the swelling my clothes are fitting better than they did with the TE's. i asked the PS why he went with the larger size implants and he said although he liked the width of the 650's they just didn't give me projection. So I weighed all the positives. He really did a fantastic job with shape, centering, level, etc. These also have no cancer and will not be hormonally painful for two weeks out of every month. Looking at all of those great positives made me realize there are worse things in life than being a blue eyed blonde with big boobs.

Ugh!!!!

But yes....those cup sizes? I never even knew they existed!!!!! And another thing to factor is that I gained weight since my diagnosis and had hoped to lose 15 pounds. Do they make a triple Z????? (I carry most weight in hips and thighs. My ribcage stays fairly constant so this isn't a huge worry....just funny.)

• Estel

Dulcigirl - You're not alone in cup size shock. You must remember, though, that most of us were wearing the wrong size cup size to begin with ... And in the end all it really is ... Is a letter. A DDD in a reconstructed breast is not going to look like a DDD in a natural breast ... What you have to focus on is what they look like .... Not the bra size. A reconstructed breast is going to be wider than a natural breast and not have as much projection. You're going to be ok. :) Truly. So awesome that you had that experience at Nordies.

As Kay said, you want the underwire to 'hug' the implant and not impinge upon it in any way... It should not be pressing ON the implant, just surround it. Do you have an IMF incision? You obviously wouldn't want the underwire sitting on the incision if you have one...if not, then it is ok if it sits there...as long as it is not pressing on the implant.

You're going to be ok. ;) Breathe.

Swelling is variable and so is pain...I couldn't stand an underwire that hugged my implants right after my exchange so my cup size went down...but a lot don't have that experience...so maybe or maybe not on the size changing.

Enjoy your new bra and go back in about six weeks for another fitting.

((((((Hugs)))))))

• Dulcigirl

No IMF incision, but my major sore spots are in the IMF where he created the fold. So right now it actually feels best to have the wire where it is....slightly below the IMF. Plus I figure that will allow for some movement like he wants. I love where the wire hits in the cleavage and especially where it sits on the sides. I just got a great buy it now on Ebay so I'd have one to wash/one to wear. And your 6 week suggestion matched my plan! My next appt with my PS is in 6 weeks. He's about 3 blocks from Nordie's.

Coincidence????? Lol!

Math has never been my happy place. Ha!! PS told me not to think about the cc number. My Nordstrom Angel told me not to count the D's.

Got it!!!! Just buy the pretty bra and smile......I can probably do that! :-D

• Estel

Dulcigirl - I love 'coincidences' like that. :)

I posted this up above ... But it applies to you right now and thought I'd post again.

http://blog.lindasonline.com/2013/02/12/shocking-your-new-bra-size-and-what-it-means/

• Dulcigirl

Fantastic!! Thank you!

• Obxflygirl1
    Obxflygirl1 Member Posts: 106

Hi girls ...haven't posted in a few days. I'm 4 weeks out from exchange. If I never looked in a mirror, I wouldn't know all that has happened since August. I'm amazed at how soft they are feeling. They felt tight right after exchange but that was probably because of the swelling. I have HP Mentor 400cc's. WHIPPETMOM was absolutely wonderful steering me in the right direction. They are a full B--small C on my frame.

So glad to have this chapter behind me. Happy for all of us who have completed the exchange and excited for ones whose surgery dates are in the near future. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you. :)

• Dulcigirl

Have any of you that are all settled and know your best bra size used this method for calculating? I'm curious if it is accurate for you as I get different results than the bra I was fitted for.

http://www.herroom.com/measure-bra-size-with-implants,904,30.html

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

Dulcigirl - that formula doesn't seem to work for me either.