Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183

I was near Bloomies today, but didn't go in.  Wonder if I can make it tomorrow...hhmmm

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

You guys like the soft cup bras? I just found I look so much better with the molded cups.

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124

Just a quick question...I really want to start buying bathing suits. My exchange isn't until next week. Should I wait until i'm sure what size i'm going to be?

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Carrol -- I do prefer the soft cup bras myself.  I find the molded cups feel and look funny on me.  Isn't it great that there are choices?  I actually find that there is always FAR more selection of molded bras in the stores... I guess I'm in the minority.

Jamie -- the Bloomingdale's sale is four days (starting today) -- 30 - 75% off (hence the great deals I found).

• JamieB86

Annemarie- definitely wait and see where you end up. Hard to be patient I know.

Thanks Lilah. I'm planning on going tomorrow!

• Carrol2

JamieB86 yes I agree choices are great. Since I work at Soma I always like to hear what other women prefer so I can make good suggestions. Every woman like s a different look and every body needs a different type of bra. The other day I saw a woman who was unhappy that her reconstructed implants were so far apart she had no cleavage with a C cup. A good push bra and the problem was solved. Doesn't work on everyone but she was thrilled. I personally have plenty of cleavage but not enough upper pole so a molded cup helps and a push up helps too. Since I work at a bra store I try them all.

Before BC I always felt my boobs were way to big for a molded cup. I was always trying to make them look smaller. Now that I lost a cup size I tend to want to put them out there. Also cause I gained weight and I think the curves detract from my big belly but, I am working on that.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Carroll - I also prefer the soft cup bras. I seem to "float around" in the molded ones and not fill them out as well while the soft cups seem to hold the "girls" a little more naturally.

annemarieh - My suggestion would be to wait on the swimsuits until you are well healed and know the swelling has gone down.

• JamieB86

So I went to Bloomies today and the woman (who was so funny) tells me "Your ladies are full. You need a triple D." What???  I did get one DDD in a molded cup, and a DD in a soft cup.  Didn't get as great a deal as Lilah, but I'm happy. I'll see if I can find a link to a photo.

ETA - http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3281-rive-gauche-3-part-cup-bra.shtml  - color Indian Ocean

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Jamie - Beautiful! xoxo

Here is my theory on spending $$$ for a good bra:
    I see buying a good bra like buying a good pair of athletic shoes...I'm going to buy quality, what fits well because it pays off in the long run. It's not worth it to me to have cheap running shoes and have back, hip and knee issues. (I have had knee issues in the past and it's no fun).

We went through hell to get these new foobs, I'm going to take care of them and buy what feels good. ;) Once we know what we like ... We can search ebay and the online sites and watch for when they go on sale. I will pay full price when I get a super fitter or salesperson because I want to support and encourage them.

• annemarieh

Golden, and Jamie! Thanks for the advice! Jamie, that bra is sooooo pretty!

DawneHope!  Never thought of it that way before! I better be finding a new job soon since I no longer have one!

• LQT
    LQT Member Posts: 1

Thanks so much for your post. I'm half way through reconstruction.  I have NEVER had breasts so I tried to look on the bright side of breast cancer with the fact that I WILL HAVE BREASTS AND CLEAVAGE!  YAY!  Finding a bra to fit was so frustrating. I've had FOUR bra fittings and finally Lindsay at Nordstrom's in Hurst, TX fit me properly. One fit me in a Wacoal, one fit me in a Chantelle, another fit me in another Chantelle.  By the time I got home each one was a disaster waiting to happen.  I called Nordstrom's in Hurst, TX and ask for the manager.  Lindsay was SO sweet.  I told her my frustrations, told her I wanted to be fitted by someone who was well trained in fitting bras for post mastectomy and implants.  She scheduled me to come in that afternoon to see her.  She was amazing.  I tried on another 40 bras probably and ahaa, the Natori feathers and the Natori Jacuard fit perfectly.  So comfy, supportive and also beautiful bras.  Thanks so much to Lindsay!  Maybe add Natori to the list of bras to try!  I love your forum!  Thanks so much for all the posts!!

• Lilah

Jamie -- what a pretty bra!  Sorry you didn't get as good a deal... but yay for a deal nonetheless!

• JamieB86

Thanks Ladies - can't wait to wear it!

• annemarieh

LQT!! I LOVE Natori! I live by the outlets, so, after my exchange, i'm headed over there! I can't wait! Glad you found some you liked!! Yay!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Hi ladies - its been awhile since I posted on here. Since I no longer work for SOMA, I haven't purchased any bras but with my rotator cuff and elbow issues, I have stretched out several of my bras by the way I had to put them on so needed new. I finally had a chance to go to a Nordstroms in Tampa, FL today and bought 2 Freya plunge styles - one is sheer purple print and another the bottom half is lime green and thin white stripe with embroidery and then netting/lace on top. Expensive but so lovely. My Mother was just shaking her head but she knows I love pretty bras. I was excited to finally get to try on the Freya's and now I can order online with some idea that they will fit. The sales girl was so helpful and nice. She asked if I had been fitted for a bra lately and I had to laugh and repeated all the fit stuff from SOMA and told her I had worked for SOMA so knew what size I thought that I needed and then had her check the fit and adjust the straps for me. Can't wait to wear them.

• Estel

Delilah - Wahoooo!  Cool  Purple ... is it lace?  Is it Lyla?  Or Untamed?  I have the purple Lyla and it's gorgeous!  Untamed is next on my list!  I have no idea what the lime green one is ... give us more info ... some of us need to know. WinkLaughingKiss

Congratulations on your shopping trip!

Freya Lyla:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4301-lyla-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml

Freya Untamed:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1291-untamed-underwire-plunge-balcony-bra.shtml 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

I'm supposed to be putting together barre and Pilates classes for tomorrow, but y'all have me bra shopping instead!

• Estel

Val - Ah, yes.  Glad to return the favor!  Cool

• Lilah

Love that Lyla!  The other link was broken (alas).  I will look Untamed up separately.

Delilah -- sorry to hear about the issues with your rotator cuff but wahoo on the new purchases!

Hey Val!

• Lilah

Oh yes that Untamed link worked this time!  LOVE.  The Freya Morning Meadow is pretty darn cute too!

• val61

Yes, it's true.......I am almost finished with updating the header on this thread!  I'm debating about putting in specific bras - alhtough I know I asked y'all for suggestions last month - because we are all so different.  So.......

A question for you, my sweet bra-loving friends:  Did you come to this thread to find a specific bra?  What DID draw you here?  Let me know either by reply here or PM if you prefer.  Thanks, ladies!

• val61

And sadly the Freya "Untamed" is out of stock on Herroom......Frown

• bellamarie
    bellamarie Member Posts: 4

Hii am having my exchange surger on thursday.. my surgeon said nothing abot drains?  does everyone get them.

• JamieB86

Bellamarie - Not everyone ends up with drains after exchange. 

• Estel

Val - You can get it at figleaves and bras and honey.

I'll write more in a pm in the next couple of days but I had absolutely no idea how many beautiful bras were out there. My idea of a great bra before Bc was VS.

I literally cried when I looked at some of the links for the first time. I didn't think I would feel feminine and sexy ever again...seeing what was out there gave me hope. What drew me here? Pain. I was in chronic pain and after reading on whippetmom's thread about this one...I came over. For the first year after my exchange the only thing that alleviated my pain was a three part, unlined, underwire bra. It sounds weird ... But I think being able to see what was out there, what was possible was healing for me ...

Freya Untamed:

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product/FRA-AA1291/Freya-Untamed-Underwired-Plunge-Balcony-Bra/?size=&colour=Lilac/Purples

http://brasandhoney.com/freya-bra/freya-untamed-amethyst/

• Estel

P.S. I would have never known about three part underwires cups had it not been for this thread...I wouldn't have known what they looked like if not for the links...

• Carrol2

Val I come here and I lurk quite often because I work for SOma and I wanted to hear what kind of bras ladies with recon besides myself like and why so I could really offer good advice in my job. We are all so different jsut like ladies with natural breasts. So far these are the issues that I have heard at my job and how I attempt to supply a suitable bra.

breasts not symmetrical - molded cups. Sometimes with an insert

too much space in between - push up ususally or soemtiems the new sensuous sides bra.

not enough cleavage - push up with plunge

side boob, or extra tissue on sides below armpits - sensuous sides or vanishing back bra

soma doesn't ahve this 3 part bra that freya carries is there any beenfit in fit to this or is it purely about aesthetics?

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Yes - The Morning Meadow and the Untamed are the ones I purchased. The only problem with the morning meadow is that it has a bit of room in the fullest part of the cup, but then that's due to no natural nipple and shaping.

The Untamed doesn't have quite the room due to the fabric, I think. Anyhow - I am excited about them both and will probably purchase a few more online as time goes by.