Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Rose63
    Rose63 Member Posts: 91

Thanks for the link Tina! Actually the surgical bra I'm sleeping in now is a marena. My PS instructed me to wear SPECIFICALLY that marena bra at my 3 week post-op appt until at least my next appt. (7week), so i probably would be too nervous to switch to anything else without his ok before that next appt. But it would be great if maybe after that I could go with something a bit less structured. However, the Marena really isn't all that bad... I've gotten pretty used to it. And if that is the difference between these girls staying put or not, I'm 100% on board.

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335

Mom, I also found some bras at Wal-Mart...after trying on a zillion! But they aren't sports bras. I posted them here a long time ago I think.

Violet

• Thank you so much for the imput. That helps me a lot.

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188

Dawne-hope, LDF is latissimus-dorsi flap. I haven't worn a sleeve since surgery and my lymphedema is stable. It hasn't improved but it hasn't worsened. My right arm measurements are about 1 cm bigger. Given I'm right-handed I don't consider it too bad. It is definitely diagnosed lymphedema. When diagnosed I was 2 cm - so I'm happy with how I'm doing in that area.

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

Sweet I  had mine on the 16th of August  and got the ok  2 weeks later to wear the sports bras i switch between them and the surgical bra's

Rose they are the just my size ones  and they give excellent support and will hold you in place  you might be able to find them some place else too Smile

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335

Hi All. My issue is that bras, in general, put pressure on my L problem foob on the inside close to cleavage top of my foob--where a bra lays naturally from top to bottom.

The SLIGHT pressure sets off MAJOR PAIN. So, if I wear the best fitting underwire bra I've found, which is a Maidenform,

which goes totally around my foob, the darn bra STILL hurts me cuz of the pressure of the bra setting on the inside of my foob.

Sports bras don't seem to work for me because the smash down element makes too much pressure in general &/or the straps USUALLY aren't adjustable. Sigh...

So, I do BEST wearing NO BRA AT ALL! **My Exchange was May 21 2013.

I have also found that I need to wear a LOOSER/LARGER band than I normally would for comfort's sake.

***My PS said to wear ANY bra in the beginning and then it was FINE to never wear a bra again if I desired.

TWO ISSUES w THAT:

-If I'm wearing fitted T-shirts, the shape of my foob shows through--bit odd cuz foobs are less rounded than real boobs, flatter/squared on top surface.

-My Right foob is just slightly lower than my L so I worry a bit that it MIGHT NEED BRA SUPPORT, yet I AM almost 4 months post Exchange...

**So, does it really MATTER? Not sure. My PS is ZERO HELP HERE...always says, "I don't know, we can't know that..." she's a piece-of-work all around, UNFORTUNATELY.

SOOOO...there's my SITUATION, Ladies.

***ANYONE ELSE w similar issues?

P.S. - I'm DEFINITELY NOT worried about foobs migrating to the SIDES, mine are not too wide at all & are far from my underarms. I have great cleavage for being size B foobs/ fit C cup bras, and if anything, my foobs are just SLIGHTLY too close together.

I know this is LONG, just wondering if another Sister has these issues...?

Thanks.

Violet

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Violet - I'm still in non-wire bras (at work/church) and sports bras at home, but the only issue I can say I have is that I'd like to try the next band size up next time I go to Nordstrom's.  These 36 band non-wired are just too snug and I can't wait to get them off when I get home.  My new boobs have good projection and shape even when bra-less so I'm very happy about that. The only thing that would keep me from going bra-less (after getting the all-clear from PS) is that the exchange scars are recent enough that you can see the slight ridge across each breast.  That will smooth out with time, though.

I hope you find the bra that works for you and if you do make sure you buy it in every color/pattern they have Smile

• Rose63
    Rose63 Member Posts: 91

Hi Violet! I don't have any info or help for you I'm afraid. But I wanted to tell you I'm sorry you're having these pain and bra issues. Awhile back you mentioned you might be going to a cancer center in Sacramento, and you were asking about PS's at that facility. Were you thinking of changing docs? Did you? Did they help with the pain?

Hopefully some ladies with experience in this area will weigh in with good advice for you on the bra issues.

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572

Violet, I also have pain when wearing a bra or sports bra. My rads side is not a happy camper, and wearing a bra causes my incision line to look red and irritated. Like you, sports bra smoosh everything down too much, which causes pain, and the straps feel too short, so they're not comfortable either. Today I went to work with a camisole under my shirt which felt a whole heck of a lot better. I worry that my left side (non-cancer) will droop if I do that too often though. Maybe I just need a sling for it, and let my rads side go free?

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

I wore a UW for the first time ever for a couple of hours the other day! Progress! Never wore before umx, they were never comfortable, and after they rubbed on the mx side too much. I even felt sexy wearing a top I always used to wear with a cami, just a little hint of cleavage showing. Have to admit I looked down at my chest a bunch, the view was so unfamiliar. Only felt comfortable for a couple hours, then started feeling too tight, maybe a bit of swelling still left. (PS said healing may still take another month or two on the side she removed a bunch of scar tissue and fixed the pocket back in July.)

• sweetandspecial

Good for you 2nd_time!  I'm hoping to be cleared for UWs when I see PS for 6-week post-op on Thursday. Hope your comfortable wear-time keeps increasing Kiss

• 2nd_time_around

Thanks Lisa, still at the "for special occasions only" status for UW wear. Only been 2 months PS would prefer 4 months before even considering full time wear. It just boosted my ego to be able to wear something sexy as I never have for over 20 years - UW's weren't comfortable for me ever.

• triciaj20
    triciaj20 Member Posts: 4

Where in Atlanta, Ga is a good place to get fitted after reconstruction?

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

triciaj20 - Did a quick search and there is a Nordstrom in Phipps Plaza. I would call, ask for the lingerie dept., and make an appointment with a MX fitter. Be sure to specify that you've had reconstructive surgery. I would try there first. Their fitters have been trained to help women like us.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/st/nordstrom-phipps-plaza

• sweetandspecial

Wearing my new Bali Comfort Revolution bra tonight and love it, love it, love it!  Actually forgot I had it on for a while because it's so comfortable.  I got it from Avon so I'm going to backorder every color they have when I send in my next order (I'm an Avon lady in my spare time)Smile.  Not quite as sexy as I'd like but way prettier than sports bras and way more comfortable than the expensive non-wired ones I got at Nordies.

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572

S&S, which one did you get? I had been wearing the 3488, but the foam pads in the cups made me feel too hot, and when you have hot flashes, any additional heat is not wanted! (Too bad that heat doesn't burn calories.) I just picked up the 3484, which is similar, but without the padding. They're very comfortable!

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

Ohh Sweetnspecial I will have to check that out I found one at Kmart Can't remember the name and it fit great and gave me the support  but I had no money lol. So it has to wait till pay day I will post the name of it here later

• 2nd_time_around

S&S, Kohls has both of the styles, lined and unlined in lots of fun colors. I discovered those bras too, so comfortable. (You can probably check out colors online). Plus, these have been on sale lately and they run the various discounts, 30% off helps a bunch. You simply amaze me - an Avon lady too!

• sweetandspecial

The one I got is style 3484 without the pads.  I'll definitely check out Kohls to see if they have better deals than I can get with Avon.

2nd_time: Yes, I've been an Avon rep since Feb 1984!  We had been married for a year and just bought our first house (which is STILL our house) and we were absolutely broke.  I scraped together the $20 required to get started and here I am nearly 30 years later still at it.  Early on I was tickled to death with an extra five bucks profit each campaign, we were that hard up.  About half my customer base is right at the office so that really helps timewise.  I hand out around 80-90 brochures each 2-week campaign and average around 18-20 customer orders (each campaign is 2 weeks).  My kids grew up with Avon and it's still where I get all my makeup and most of my bath and skin care stuff and jewelry and even bras!  Avon is soooo much more than it was when I was a kid - we're way more than makeup and perfume these days.

For anyone who hasn't been exposed to Avon for a while you can go online to www.youravon.com to find a rep near you.

OK - Avon advertisement now complete Wink

Everyone have a great day!

• 2nd_time_around

S&S, thanks for my morning smile! Glad that works out for you. I remember the day when Avon reps went door to door

• triciaj20
    triciaj20 Member Posts: 4

Thanks Dawn-Hope. How long after reconstruction surgery can go get fitted?

• Estel

triciaj20 - generally about six weeks. Depends on how much pocket work is done at the time of the exchange but generally six weeks is a good time frame.

• sweetandspecial

triciaj20 - Dawne-Hope is right, it all depends on the amount of swelling you have after surgery which is a by-product of pocket work.  My swelling was minimal and I got a couple of non-wired bras from Nordies about 10 days post-surgery so I could get away from the surgical bra and not have to wear sports bras with dress clothes.  For some ladies it can take a few months for all swelling to dissipate.

• mamatwinz
    mamatwinz Member Posts: 193

i love those bali bras too..have had since post op..i have bought some pretty underwire ones that I like as well, but as long as what I am wearing looks good with bali..i stick with those!  still wear to bed, etc.  I have in white and baby blue,,but if i get a kohls 30% will get black and another color..if i wear under a wider shirt collar it looks like its a tank top, so its cute!  I also have worn under a tank top that has different straps and it looks like i am wearing layered tanks.. great bras!

• mamatwinz
    mamatwinz Member Posts: 193

so since we are mostly at the post surgery place being that we are talking about bras... i wanted to ask you guys.. do you get teary/cry after appts?  I find that after I meet with my ps..i get teary when I leave his office..i mean teary in a good way, but i just think about all that i have been through at the different points in my journey as I head up the stairs to see him and then again as I leave..times when I could barely open the heavy door, etc.??  I think with no major surgeries ahead things just are hitting me now.  Mostly I am thankful of where I am vs sitting in his office initially after deciding on mastectomies and him talking about TEs..such a whirlwind..... I adore my ps.  I had bought him a small gift and wrote in a blank card for him today at my appt..couldn't give it to him in office as i knew i would cry... so I left it on the exam bed and exited ASAP  :)  so i get an email from the scheduler re nipple appt and she notes that ps very thankful for my sweet card/gift..then i get a sweet thank you note from my ps's personal email..brought me to tears..lots of them... so do you guys get this way too or is this maybe a sign that my monthly friend is on her way?

• 2nd_time_around

Mamatwinz, I've gotten that way too. Part of it is that when I leave there, I truly feel better about myself, it's like the well-deserved compliment after the hard work on a project has been completed. PS is used to my tears by now. (She's female, by the way)

About Bali bras, check these colors out:

http://www.kohls.com/search.jsp?search=Bali+3488&_requestid=3879771

• sparkey3200
    sparkey3200 Member Posts: 8

I am close to my exchange surgery and wondering if you ladies bought & were wearing the Bali bras before the exchange surgery or both before & after?  I have tried wearing the AHHH or Geni bras and I just can't right now.  They are just to tight & uncomfortable with these TE's.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  At this point, I have just been going commando unless my top is a bit sheer and I have a few light weight cami's that I would wear underneath. 

I am so happy to have found this site and all of the different topics!!!  Thank you to all who have started threads and comtributing!!! 

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467

Sparky - you might want to try the coobie bras. They fit a bit looser than the genie bras. Target has something similar that is reasonably priced and lots of fun colors.

• owlwatcher
    owlwatcher Member Posts: 63

Mama i can't say i feel that way with doctors. My position is simply that i am buying a service and they are providing that service. i did get teary eyed when i thought i had an infection. i suppose it depends on what else is going on in our lives that is driving us to the brink.

• Estel

sparkey3200 - I couldn't get my strange looking TE's to fit in any kind of bra. The most I ever wore with them was a cami with a shelf bra.

I wore a zip up the front sports bra right after my exchange, then moved to soft cup, then underwire about six weeks out.

You should NOT wear an underwire with the TE's. At the very most, a soft cup bra is all you should wear with them...they are doing their job stretching out skin and tissue and you should be extra gentle during this time.