Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I've never teared up with my PS or MO (they're guys), but with my BS and gyno I have (women).  I think my emotions will be closer to the surface in general probably for the rest of my life after this journey.

• mamatwinz
    mamatwinz Member Posts: 193

sparky..i did not wear anything with my TEs..they were so wide and non boob to me,,didn't even think of getting/wearing bra.  I wore bali after my exchange and then again after revision.. :)

• sweetandspecial

The only reasons I really wore a bra with my TEs was to absorb under-boob sweat and a sports bra when running/working out.  If it weren't for those needs I wouldn't have needed one.  It did take me a good 3 months or so after BMX/TE placement surgery to feel comfortable without a bra.  Before that the TEs just felt kind of heavy and uncomfortable.  Three months out everything was healed completely and I was back to working out, so maybe it had something to do with weak vs strong pecs too.......

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Sparky I wore the barely there bras I got a kohls with my TEs mine were lopsided so I could not wear a regular bra a lot of the time I just wore a cami

Mama I get very emotional too. My last appt with ps I almost started to cry I was swallowing back the tears I just got my tattoos this week by Vinny Myers in Nola and I didn't cry there but I was feeling so happy to be done now I find myself really thinking more now about all ice been thru more so then when it was happening I just read lance armstrongs book and now I'm reading chicken soup for the cancer survivor I feel very emotional all the time now happy it's over not100% satisfied bit 90% mixed emotions but they are all on the surface now

• sparkey3200
    sparkey3200 Member Posts: 8

Thank you all for you replys.  It is very encouraging to know I am not the only one that these mounds won't fit into a bra.  It has been wierd for me not to wear one every day, but being 6 months post-op and about 6 weeks since final fill, it really doesn't bother me now.  No headlights, no worries. lol  I will keep in my journal the bras you all have suggested for after exchange, when PS says it's ok to wear a regular one.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

I started wearing the Bali 3488 (with pads) about a month before my exchange surgery and I've been wearing them ever since. I am 6 months out and still can't wear any kind of underwire. Saw my PS yesterday for 6 months followup and to talk about nip recon. He said everybody is different with bras because the implants are so much wider, that I may not ever be able to wear underwire and it shouldn't have any effect on my implant settling and such. He said the Bali was plenty supportive. I really hope to be able to wear a hot bra one day but if not, I also find that the Bali bras look like tank tops when they peek out under shirts so I'm starting to not mind them so much. And they are so comfortable at a time when most everything isn't!! I have these bras in hot pink, lavender, pale pink, blue, beige and gray and I'm trying to make it fun to match them in funky ways with my clothes. That way I won't mind so much that I'm not wearing some super cute underwire! I think now if I can get to the point of being able to wear an underwire to a special event for a few hours, then I'm ok with that. I have found since my diagnosis that I truly don't sweat the small stuff anymore, and I like myself alot better now so there's that silver lining!!!

• triciaj20
    triciaj20 Member Posts: 4

Thanks ladies for all the great advice.

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85

Hey Ladies seems like ages that I checked this topic. At the 1 year mark PS cleared me to wear a wire bra, yoo hoo! Immediately darted to Nordstrom and bought 2 Chantells demi-bras, beautiful but too lacey to wear under a thin blouse, too bumpy. Paying attention to bra ads, I saw the Victoria Secret ad for their brand new model, Angel Full Coverage bra, went to the store today, they are smooth and the wire goes entirely around my allodermed implants just like the Chantell's. The bra feels and fits beautifully and it's lined just enough to cover my 1 surviving nipple.  The store carried my size 32DDD so I bought three. I highly recommend you try one of if you can wear a wire.  Happy shopping!   

• mrtw43
    mrtw43 Member Posts: 146

Hi ladies, I just found this thread. Thanks for all the great options, I am seeing my ps this Fri for my 7 wk post op check-up (I had Dmx with immediate deip recon). I didnt realize that my insurance bcbs would cover bras so thanks for that info, i am going to call today and ask specifically what i need to get them. I am hoping that my PS will say I can start wearing bras, right now I am in either a compression bra or tight sports bra.

I was wondering for any of you deip ladies out there, are you wearing underwire bras or are you limited to non underwire? I haven't had the "bra" conversation with my PS yet since I haven't reached that milestone in the recovery process. I have been focusing on healing and getting my strength back. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I am trying to approach my Drs appts with as much info as I can, it just seems to make the appts go smoother. Thanks

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My PS recommended I wait about eight weeks after the last surgery to do serious bra shopping for underwires and more. Until then, I stuck to zip of the front sports bras. His advice seemed to be based in the practical "Don't spend a fortune on bras until we are sure the swelling has gone down". Once I got the okay, I did seem to spend a fortune. Finding a good fitter is priceless. 

• Not-Me
    Not-Me Member Posts: 50

Hi....do I even need to worry about wearing a bra now?  I am four months after exchange.  No nipples...but hey, I can wear a tank top and sexy dresses without a bra.  

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Not-Me, I think this is one of those many topics over which PSs differ in opinion.  Mine recommends wearing a supportive bra at all times, even at night.  It took me quite a while to get used to that, but I finally did.  The skin ages and loses elasicity with or without BC and reconstruction.  I get the impression that the breasts continue to "age" no matter what and will ultimately sag less if they are kept well-supported. 

• sweetandspecial

I'm pondering this whole bra/no bra question.  The skin elasticity idea would seem logical to some extent.  My PS did tell me that the best ptosis (natural droop) seems to happen with his older patients and those who are heavy smokers because of the effects of age and smoking.

I also think ptosis post-exchange is probably related to a woman's natural skin condition (dry vs supple), implant coverage (plenty of skin flap vs really tight fit) and perhaps even level of fitness where the pectorals are concerned.  It would seem to make sense that well-toned, strong pecs will keep implants from drooping more than pecs that are not kept toned. My opinion only, just trying to reason it out.

• sweetandspecial

P.S. - my PS is one of thosewho feels that after the pecs are healed from the exchange (6-8 weeks) it's totally up to me as to what type of bra I wear or whether I even where one at all.  Absolutely required for working out and running though.

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368

Hi, this topic must have been covered somewhere but I couldn't find it. I've had nipple reconstruction and am having trouble finding a bra or camisole that will keep my nipples from showing. I'm just so self conscious about this I wish I had gone with the 3-D tattoos. Please help!

Thanks,

Peggy

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Peggy,

I don't have nipples yet, but my Wacoal La Femme t-shirt bras fit my implants well. They are not padded, but are thick enough that I believe they would easily have hidden my real nipples. Are yours still shrinking?

Here's a link:

http://www.wacoal-america.com/la-femme-underwire-t-shirt-bra-wacoal-853117-p.html

• BellaFriday
    BellaFriday Member Posts: 5

The best sports bra I have found is at Target...its the C9 Champion w/removable pads.  I am still in the TE process and have the Amoena Profit333 Breast Prosthetic that I use in my Amoena Camisoles but when I start physical therapy I wanted to use a sports bra....these are absolutely fabulous for Mastectomy patients and they are only $16-$18!  Seamless bra with removable pads!!!  Adjustable straps so I can continue to use these with all my ups/downs in size!  27 on-line reviews...all 5 star...and 1 other mastectomy patient commenting on how wonderful they are....http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-seamless-bra-with-removable-pads-assorted-colors/-/A-14450448#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=c9+removable+pads

• maillotjaune
    maillotjaune Member Posts: 3

I am currently 2 weeks post-exchange (unilateral), and have found the Hanes Comfortflex Fit bra to be a great choice for me, both during the TE phase as well as in recent days as I am transitioning out of wearing my surgical compression bra 24/7, to actually wearing a regular bra during the day.

I bought one at Target while I had my TE in, and found it so comfortable and accommodating, that I went back to get another. It's a wireless stretch bra, and for this A cup, it has provided the right amount of support, smoothing, and stretch that I've needed in recent weeks/months as my size has fluctuated so dramatically! I like that it's a tight (but comfortable) fit, and that the straps adjust nicely to provide the right amount of lift that I need to provide some symmetry between my remaining natural breast and my mastectomy/implant side. I also like that they were under $15 at Target, and it's a decent, feminine, but non-lacy (i.e., good under a tight t-shirt) bra. I'm on the lookout for a black one to go with the other colors that I already have!

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

I am so grateful to all the lovely ladies who said not to buy too many bras or expensive ones right away. I did a "how much can I buy with $100?" shopping spree back a couple months after exchange. Well, it's been almost 8 since exchange for me. Just noticing that a couple bras (molded, stretchy cups primarily) no longer fit the way they have for months. My weight has been about the same (+/- 5 pounds) but these now have creases and just don't fit correctly. Thank goodness most of my purchases are still wonderful! Especially the sexy little bra that I would have given a fortune to be able to wear

• Lmimp64
    Lmimp64 Member Posts: 88

hi. I had my first set of implants jan 2013, 2nd set may 2013 and just got third set at end of nov. Numerous complications. Hoping third set is charm. Haven't worn a bra in a year and tried on a couple but because I have little projection (flat) , the fronts of the slightly padded bras I tried are empty and squish in. I'm pretty depressed as I was looking forward to wearing something without a cami for the holidays. Any advice? I'm still wearing my surgical bra right now, but was looking for ideas. Thank you.

• 2nd_time_around

are you looking for a soft bra? Bali has some cute, soft ones, available at Target, Walmart and Kohls (at Kohls, many colors). I started wearing the unlined ones after surgery, now prefer some light padding, so comfy I can sleep in, PS said they were perfect next step after post-surgical bras. Someone will have the style #'s as I don't have them right now. Hopefully, the third time is the charm!

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

The Bali bra I wear is 3488. It is the lined one. I can't remember the number for the unlined one. Very comfy! Can wear 24/7 if you want. Kohls has them right now for buy one get one half off. And I know they have them at JCPenney, Macys and Belks as well. My PS thought they were great for after surgery.

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572

I think the non-padded Bali is a 3484. They're very comfortable. They're the only bra I've found that fits, cause my implants are too flat to fill the cups of any other bras too, even after 5 months.

• sweetandspecial

I have several Bali 3484s and they definitely are very comfortable, but I'm still hoping to get some pretty underwires after a nip-tuck to remove my mud flaps.

• Lmimp64
    Lmimp64 Member Posts: 88

thank you! I will try those balis. I really appreciate the advice. :)

• 2nd_time_around

I love the Bali 4085 (it's fairly simple, there's a lightly padded version but I can't find it, you can probably look that up) - different versions available - it's also Hanes bra (G289) which you can get inexpensively at Walmart and Target. The Genie and Ahh Bras also feel good - I would step in when I couldn't put over my head.

These also work: Bali 3488 and 3463

• Dulcigirl

Woohoo!!! Just scored my favorite bra in a hard-to-find color (my favorite color!) on ebay. Free shipping and less than half price. Yippee!!! I've only had one (yes, ONE!) good bra since revision. Time to start my collection. ThumbsUp

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Dulcigirl - Wahoo!!!!!  Happy  What kind was it?  

So glad you were able to find it on ebay.  Look out, the collection begins! Winking

• Dulcigirl

Nothing schmancy.

Waccoal 85567 in a turquoise color. I love turquoise!! 

I'll get some "fun" bras some day, but this bra fits me perfectly and it's so comfy! 

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Dulcigirl - Awesome!  

It's 'schmancy' if you love it!  Happy  I like turquoise too!  Love it when I can get my favorite bra in a color that I love!  

Congratulations on your find!  xo