Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47

I had my implant exhange surgery on the 17th. I am still swollen. How long should I wait before I get properly fitted? I am wearing sports bras right now.

Thanks, Claire

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

ClaireFraser - We are all different.  We all heal differently.  Some of us have more done at the exchange surgery (pocket work, etc.,) that can influence how much we swell.  The woman who started this thread, Val61, was fitted right away.  Others of us wait for six weeks or more for the swelling to subside.  

I would first ask your PS and see what he/she says.  If you get the go ahead from them…I would wait at least for another week and then go and get fitted.  At the very least, you could get an initial opinion on where you are going to be size-wise.    I wouldn't buy any more than 2 bras if you decide to go at two weeks out.  Some of us, but not all, swelling influences our size.  

I would go and get fitted at the six week mark and then again at three months.  At the very least it's fun!  Happy At three months out … you are very likely going to be size-wise where you are going to be … if that makes sense.  Loopy

I went and got fitted at two weeks out and bought two bras.  I wore them a lot until about 8 weeks out.  I went and got re-fitted and dropped a band size and then up a cup size.  

Keep us posted on what you do and ultimately what you end up getting.  We love bras!  Happy

• Estel

[[[[[[HappyCamper123]]]]]]

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

Happy Camper...I am sorry you feel like recon was not right for you. Personally I am very happy with my recon - but I knew I personally wanted recon, and never felt pressured into any decision - and back to almost all of my very physically active routine. I am not sure I can agree it is a "scam" as it is an important option for many women. But it does need to be an informed personal choice.

Hipz...I feel better in a bra 24/7, and now in particular in underwire. But I also felt like that BEFORE surgery. I don't think it is that unusual...I always prefer to feel well supported! I woke up from surgery with just bandages as well, but was to wear a sportsbra home and afterward.

ClaireFraser, you will still be really swollen and will change a lot over next while so just don't spend a whole lot on bras right now. Ask your PS first...mine did not want me in underwire until at least 6-8 weeks out but I had incisions & Alloderm stitched in all along my IMF and was direct to implant. I just wore lightly compressive sports bras until then. But then again there are PSs who want patients like me in underwire right away! I found I was pretty much the same size I was before but definitely a very different shape so still needed to get fitted again and find out what bra styles and such now work for me. It was a bit of trial and error as it was very different than what worked for me before!

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215

Happycamper I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do beforehand but the first PS I went to was kind of thrown aback that I would even question doing the whole implant process.  The Dr. was like "listen this happens all the time and almost all of my clients are happy with their results and some even like the new breast more".  As I am a questioner I didn't buy into it and found a different PS who understood my need to ask questions about the procedure and was good at answering them realistically.  As a two time BC survivor I have found that it is essential to ask questions and research research research!   Sadly,  I find from a lot of my interactions with other survivors that some just listen to whatever their Dr. recommends and go with it without educating themselves.  Obviously Dr.'s should be listened to since they are the experts but I feel it is my job as the patient to know what is best for me.  I hope you can find some peace and  wish you the best on your recovery :)

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Happy Camper, You  have been through a lot and it isn't easy. Cancer, surgeries, and everything not going as planned. It can be overwhelming. I did not have the same kinds of challenges you had but found myself not happy after the reconstruction. I finally gave myself a break and decided to withhold any judgement one way or the other about whether I'd made the right choices about reconstruction or not for at least six months. Imagine my surprise, when about nine months later, I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror and thought "Wow, those look pretty good". I never dreamed I would ever feel that way. The truth is, I missed my old ones and it took me awhile to realize that was impacting how I was journeying through this maze of treatments and surgeries. Know you've got good wishes coming your way. 

• kcat2013
    kcat2013 Member Posts: 53

Thanks for the responses, I plan to go get fitted soon.  When I saw my PS last week for my post op visit she told me she wanted me in a supportive bra for a minimum of 4 weeks.  So that's different than what I thought she said right after surgery but I was loopy on drugs then :)  I'm not quite up to going out and having a fitting done yet so I found a couple of supportive wireless bras at Target to hold me over until I can get out to do that.  

Kendra

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Haven't checked out if there is anything I want (or maybe need!) but Herroom is having a great sale! 

http://www.herroom.com/

• hjpz

I have went to Soma twice since someone here recommended it and I love all 3 bras I bought there!  For everyday though I wear a cheap one I bought at Target!

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

here's something I'm going thru: my exchange was April, 2013 (well over a year ago, have several bras that fit perfectly and feel comfortable in the morning when I put them on. A couple hours later (much earlier than late at night), the cups are very wrinkled, with big gaps and don't fit at all. Does this happen to anyone else? Saw PS yesterday, she said she never heard of this. Very strange. 

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165

What are the bras made of?  Could they be stretching out?

• Sodie1017
    Sodie1017 Member Posts: 7

I find it interesting how PS are so different. Like some of you, I woke up with tape across my incisions. At my two week check up, the doc told me not to wear a bra. He didn't want the breasts to be compressed at all. He said camis were fine. I bought a couple of lacy cami-like bras to wear under t-shirts. 

At my eight week check up, he said I could wear a bra, but it wasn't necessary. I finally got fitted for a bra last week, not for support but for coverage under certain types of shirts. I went to Dillard's and the fitter was awesome! I hate bra shopping, but this turned out to be a pleasant experience. The brand is Wacoal. Never heard of it before. Spent more money on this one bra than I ever have in my life! But it fits well and gives me the confidence to wear solid color shirts again. It's an underwire which I didn't want, but the sales lady said an underwire offsets the width of the implants. She also showed me their line of sports bras that won't give you the uni-boob effect. 

I was shocked at my bra size! I've never been fitted for a bra so I was probably wearing the wrong size. I was an A cup most of my life and graduated to a B after I had kids. I was wearing a 36B. My new bra is a 34DD! This particular style runs small so with other bras I tried on a 34D. I don't look bustier, just wider. 

• hjpz

I am right there with you on the strange differences between Dr.'s Sodie!  I had no tape or wraps and could shower within 24 hours.  I was told to wear a sports bra or camisole 24/7 for the first week and after that it was up to me (I still only feel comfortable if I wear at least a camisole) - and I was told no underwire for several weeks at least.   I just told my PS last week that they all need to "get it together" due to all these differences - luckily he is open to my joking with him :)

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

2nd time lol I understand your point, I now use the Wacoal Style 85276. I bought 2 and it seams to be the only bra that is helping me. I will wait till my exchange to see if I will be the same size and then try to order some more. It is very difficult to find a bra that feels good and don't give us any disconfort. I can really be bra less I have too much drop and then if there is no support I get pain ;( 

• hjpz

Enerva - I can't go without a bra yet either. I am petite and it is too much for my body to hold these heavy things up on their own :) 

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

hjpz, ha ha ha well in my case mine are not as big as I need them to be to fill my skin lol I need more volume and projection in order to go braless one day lol we shall see after my exchange and maybe another 6 months lol but I realized thatched bra makes a big difference. The one I got is expensive but I manage to find 2 on eBay which were not so much and they make a huge difference lol

• Estel

2nd time around - Yeah, give us more details.  What are the bras made of? Are they camis?  Soft cup?  What type of bra is it?   I'm having trouble visualizing and understanding what is going on.  

Sodie1017 - One of my favorite bra quotes is from Val61 who started this thread… "Before BC I didn't know the difference between Freya and Fruit of the Loom."  Happy  I had never heard of these brands before either.  Wacoal is a good bra.  And most of us WERE wearing the wrong size before BC … I wore a 34B when I should have at least been wearing a 32C or 30D.  And it is the width that us reconstructed gals need.  Reconstructed breasts are often wider and don't project as much as our natural breasts and we're missing the whole areola complex which is why there is going to be some extra room in the tip of a cup when we wear a bra.  Congratulations on a good fitting and finding a bra that works for you!  

Enera and hipz - I too hurt if I don't wear a bra … I don't have big implants (325cc's) but I am small framed and the support of a bra really helps.  I feel really uncomfortable without one.  

• hjpz

Estel - I am wondering if we are onto something with this body type/size being a deciding factor on whether you need support after the exchange now that you mention your size because as I noted I am small in stature and these 550 cc and 650 cc implants are quite a haul for my skin/muscle.  Perhaps if I was a larger if I would have a different reaction and could be bra free all day.  Who knows!

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

I have always been small framed (5'4", ~115lbs). My breasts before surgery were 30E and I always wore bras, 24/7, as I felt more comfortable in them. I am still a 30E and still wear bras all the time. But I do actually find my reconstructed breasts more comfortable than my natural breasts were...they don't really feel like they "need" as much support to feel comfortable as they are firmer, etc, but I choose to wear support to help with shaping, reduce risk of migration, reduce long term stress on tissues (I.e prevent sag!), as I have a professional job, etc and as I know they still need support even if they don't feel like they do as much as my natural breasts did. Also, after 20 years of wearing good fitting bras, I just like how wearing a bra feels!

I am not so sure it is a body size type thing, or just what you are used to. If you had very small breasts before, whether you are 100lbs or 250lbs, you might just not be familiar with the feel or weight of larger breasts (not that I think a 30E is really all that big...it's actually quite an average size if people were in the right fitting bras!).  I actually feel like my reconstructed breasts are more comfortable and less weighty than my natural breasts were.  Anyway, I believe even larger women need good support for their implants....their tissues are still now thin, and there is still all the same risks of migration, etc.

I did have to start over in finding the right style/shape of bra for me as my reconstructed breasts are less projected, but have found a few that work well and am always on lookout for others. 

• Estel

hjpz - DiveCat is correct that regardless our frame, size, etc., support is important.  Gravity is never our friend and even if we have a matrix (alloderm or whatever else) that is put in to help support our implants, migration and displacement still occurs so proper support is important regardless.  

Some of us have pain, others none at all … we are all different but we all do need the support.  Some choose not to wear any and that is their prerogative.  

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Don't forget part of the reason the implants may not feel as heavy as native breasts is that they've got the pec muscles and/or alloderm, etc for extra internal support.  The native breast tissue was supported by our skin only.  I'm one who has fairly large implants (750cc) at 5'8" and 175lbs with a 33" ribcage.  I am about a 38DD/36DDD but feel very comfortable without a bra when I'm hanging out at home.  I do not go braless all the time though.

• vfay49
    vfay49 Member Posts: 51

sweetandspecial, It's good to know that you do not feel that your implants feel as heavy as your native breasts.   I am currently about the same height and weight as you, but I have a wider rib cage at 35 inches.   My native breasts were around 1000 cc (38 DDD).  I am expecting implants in the range of 700 cc to 800 cc at exchange, and I have been concerned about the size and weight of the implants on my frame, especially if I drop 20 pounds. 

• sweetandspecial

vfay - I know they removed about 150 grams more breast tissue from my right breast than my left during my BMX.  Don't remember the exact numbers but I know even my largest breast was under 700cc and I was wearing Victoria Secret 36D bras at the time.  I sometimes wonder if the 'weightiness' and comfort level any implant, small or large, can also be dependent on the individual's native pec muscle characteristics, whether the musculature is wide/narrow or short/tall compared to the ribcage measurements, etc, and also the condition (weak/lax, strong/toned) of the pecs (which is more under our control).  If they have to remove some of the pec muscle to get all the cancer I'm sure that would affect comfort level of TEs and implants.  Just my internal analytics department trying to reason through why there's such a variety of experiences and results.

• budrfligal13
    budrfligal13 Member Posts: 105

Hi all.  I'm so glad I found this forum.  I am 10 days post exchange and I am allowed to stop wearing the breast strap tomorrow.  I was told no underwire, but I'm not definite on if she meant just not now or not ever.  (i'll call the office tomorrow)

Before BC a bra was something I wore to achieve a fuller bust, not particularly for support.  My old breasts were a perky B and barely moved.  I need support now, as I am larger.  I noticed that they bounce!  Never had that before.  I think it is worth it to get a professional fit.  I am wondering when the right time for that will be.  I mean, should I wait until I settle in about 3-4 months?  That will be around the time the new nipples will be done also.  But I really need something now and the feather weight sports bra isn't cutting it.  Any suggestions?  Also, when these babies are encapsulated and in their correct position in a few months, can I wear push up bras?  I really like the cleavage.

Thanks in advance!!!

• sweetandspecial

bud - I would recommend waiting until after nip recon to invest very heavily in new bras.  You'll likely find there's still swelling to go down and as they settle in your shape may change somewhat.  I bought several Bali style 3484 (I think that's the one) that I'm still wearing.  They hook in the back and are totally stretch cups so the lack of projection isn't a problem with these.  I do intend to get some pretty, girly, colorful underwires at some point but the nearest Nordstrom's is on the other side of the state and I don't get over there very often.  I'm content for the time being with Bali. 

• budrfligal13

Okay, I just got the scoop from my PS's nurse.  

I have to wait one month (minimum) before wearing push ups bras and underwires.  Some women wait the full 3-4 months, but most of the initial swelling will be gone in one month.  She said after one month I can go get properly fitted.  She did confirm that in 3-4 months the implants will be in their permanent position but will only change shape and size ever so slightly, which is a relief because I'm happy with my results.

I've read some posts from women who shrunk a lot and they were disappointed in being smaller.  

I'm glad I saved all those gift cards from Christmas and B-day!  Nordstrom's bras are expensive but worth it.  I can't wait to show some cleavage!  

Cheers!

• Estel

budrfligal13 - I needed to wait longer to wear a push-up bra but if your PS says it is fine, then fine.  :)  It hurt for me to wear one…the pressure from the pressure on the bottom of my implants.  I think I was six months out before I wore a push-up bra.  

Don't be surprised when you get fitted … if your cup size is larger than you might think … implants are wider than our natural breasts and require a bigger cup size.  And a lot of us were wearing the wrong size before BC (smaller cup size and a larger band) than we actually needed … so don't be surprised if when you get fitted … you're smaller in the band and a cup or two larger than your old size.  Some gals get fitted right after … but per the recommendation of your PS … a month.  That's fine.  Until then, you can buy a zip up the front or hook up the front sports bras at Target, Wal-Mart, or TJ Maxx cheap and it could tie you over until you get properly fitted.  Happy  If you go to Nordstroms for a fitting, call ahead and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.'  They are specially trained to help women like us.  Private boutiques or even some Macy's lingerie departments can have pretty good fitters.  

Keep us posted on what you get and what works for you.  Congratulations on your exchange.  Only 20 days until you can get fitted.  Winking

• budrfligal13

Estel,

Thanks for the great tips!!!!  I had no idea there was a surgical fitter. Great to know!   Personally, I think I will wait the 3 months to get fitted.  I've tried to gently push them up just to see what my cleavage will be like and although they move, its tight and they don't want to move yet.  Does that make sense. lol

• budrfligal13

And you are so right about women wearing the wrong bra size.  I believe 80% of us are guilty of that, BC or not.

• sweetandspecial

budrfli - that absolutely makes sense.  Your exchange was only 2-3 weeks ago so your pecs are probably still feeling a bit traumatized (whether you feel pain or not) and stiff.  Don't forget the PS had to get through the pecs again to remove the TEs and place the implants.  It's good that you're aware that they don't feel 'ready' to manipulate quite yet and need to relax yet - patience can be a great thing in this process so i applaud your willingness to wait a bit yet for a professional fitting.