Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

It's a little late in the season but I just found out Freya and Fantasie make swim suits! Found some cute ones at HerRoom.com and Lindasonline.com

• speech529
    speech529 Member Posts: 148

This is a fabulous group!  Thanks for all the input and advice....can't wait to go out and do some bra shopping again.  I bought my Warner's at Ross....$9.99.  Yes, it is a back clasp but it's made to pull the foobs up and together.  I have another Warner that's a front clasp; very comfortable but does nothing for cleavage or bringing the girls together.

From my experience as a - -A cup and now a large B, it depends on the person and the bra as far as sizing and fit.  I will definitely check out the bras that you ladies have recommended.  I still need to get to Nordstrom--how long after surgery did you think "I'm all done, settled in, no more swelling, all set" before you bought some expensive bras?  I find I still swell when I exercise (yoga, swimming, hiking with trekking poles, even just going on the treadmill).  I am about 3 months post op (one-step recon after uni mx).

THanks ladies!!!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

I think 3 months is plenty of time to start buying bras.  Your brreasts may change slightly over the next few months, but probably not enough to have to change  bra size. 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Kate - I bought THREE of those suits this year - two Fantasies and one Freya - and I LOVED them.  In fact, I just packed two for the Vegas trip Smile

Michelle - Warners do run bigger, both in band and cup than the European brands like Freya, etc.  The width of our implants often required going up a cup more than your measurments would predict, so I'd try a 34C.  

I'm heading with our fellow TaTa Sisters to Vegas tomorrow, so will check in when I return.  I promise to not buy TOO many new bras there!

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

Val--hilarious, for sure.

Welcome speech. 

Almost one week out from my exchange, but still can't buy a bra.  PS said be patient.  haha

So, I guess I wait!  Am still getting used to the squishee's.  I kinda bounce off them.

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Have a great time sisters in Vegas!  Hopefully next year you all will do this again and I will be there!

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

MBJ!!!! I love your new picture. It is so funky and beautiful! I am 5 weeks out of exchange and would like to try a victoria secret bra soon. Any suggestions from anyone on a good support bra from VS, either wire or wireless. Thanks for suggestions. I'm excited to be done with these sports bras 24/7! Hope Vegas is a blast!

• MBJ

cleo:  Thank you, I feel kinda like Tinkerbell or Peter Pan with this "look" LOL!   Glad to hear you are out of the sports bras--what a relief!

Victoria Secret Bras:  I purchased the only three they carry, just go in to their store and try on a few to figure out your size.  I am two sizes depending on how they are sized.  Some don't come in double D's so I go up to a 36 D  in those and a 34 DD in the others.  Both sizes seem to fit fine.  I had to purchase two of them on line: My favorite is the Ipex Lined No Wire (on line), No Wire Plunge Push Up (on line) and in the store I purchased their standard No Wire.  The Ipex is great for under Tee Shirts for a no show look, the plunge push up for skinny straps or low cut tops where you want a boost, and the standard for under most tops, too.  they are all very soft and comfortable.  Still can't wear a wired bra comfortably--10 minutes and I have to take it off!  Dr. says to wait 6 months so I am glad I could get a variety.  Still having problems finding a strapless to fit in store, in my size :(

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

MBJ! Thanks for the info. I am going to print your suggestions and take them to the store with me. I have no idea what size I am but guessing pretty close to my expander size. I have a coupon for VS so I will begin my journey with them. We have a wonderful medical suppy store in town and will call to see if they have a fitter on staff. They were fantastic in getting me through the mastectomy and through tissue expanders. I so look forward to the next leg of the journey!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

MBJ - is the bra you love so much that I think you said whippetmom recommended the marena b-15 bra?  I'm needing a new sleep bra and am wondering if that is the one.  I ordered a cheaper marena bra and the size was way too big.  I ordered a 32d and i'm thinking i may need a 32b so it fits as tightly as it needs to ... anyway I returned it but i'm still needing one.  If that isn't it ... which one is it?  thanks! 

• MBJ

DawneHope:  The only Marena bra I have is my Torture Torpedo Launcher Bra!  My favorite is the Ipex No wire from VS.  I don't have a sleep bra but I also like the VS bra tops.  I slept wearing one of them last night and it seems to do the same as a sports bra but more comfortable. Pushes them up and in.

• Estel

MBJ - But I can't find "Torture Torpedo Launcher Bra" on their website!  Laughing  Does it have an 'official' name? :)

Ladies, I have a problem, a bra addiction problem and I need a support group!  Help me!!!!!  Saw my onocologist in St. Louis this morning (a good report, yayyyy!).  Went to Nordstroms again just to try on bras, I wanted to try by myself with all the info you all have armed me with.  I was there over an hour trying on bras.  It was so much fun!  I found two that I LOVED!  Both Chantelle and wouldn't you know, the most expensive in the lingerie department.  I'm broke right now and will be for a while because I have to buy tires for my car ... but anyway ... they are the Chantelle 3286 "Rive Gauche" and the Chantelle 3852 "Icone."   Gorgeous and so comfy!  Didn't buy them but sooooo want them!!!  $80 bucks for a bra ... I think this past year has turned me into a diva! Wink

• whitedove
    whitedove Member Posts: 121

Dawn, that is funny.  Did you try the discount? I just spent an hour browsing department store lingerie websites before picking out a bra.  Addiction is the right word choice to describe it. Finally settled on a DKNY "Belle Du Jour".

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Look for those bras on line Dawn-Hope!  You will probably find them cheaper... in fact, now that you know the size that suits you and the exact style name and number, you could also search Ebay and see if anyone is selling them new for less.  Lots of gals have had good luck finding bras there for MUCH less!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Hello!  My name is Kate and I am a (bra) addict.  Listen to these women, Dawne-Hope, they will tell you how to get your "drug fix" for less!  LOL!  (Of course, that just means you can buy twice as many bras for the same price!)

• val61

Hello to all my fellow bra addicts!!  Let me just tell y'all that Vegas was FANTASTIC!!  Of course, one of the trip highlights - pour moi, at least - was the trip to the hallowed intimate department of Nordstrom!  We had ten women descend on the place and I'm sure those sales associates will never be the same!  The department manager was fabulous, and fit our girls (in all senses of the word!) just perfectly.  She even taught one of our sisters a very cool technique to help "set" the central underwires and get everything in place.  It honestly changed the bra she had on from poorly-fitting to va-va voomtastic!  It's a bit hard to describe in writing, so I'll see if I can find a link or something that maybe has a video.  Very cool.  See.....I learned something new about bras!!

And yes.....I did buy two....same bra, different colors.  It's the Panache "Porcelain" Bra #3376. It's ever so comfy, supportive, and seamless under tight tops.  I previously had not found any Panache bras that fit me - all tended to have too much extra space in the nip area - but this one fits great.  I bought a 30E, which is what I wear in the Chantelle and some Fantasies. If anything, the cups run a smidge small probably.  

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3020651?origin=category&resultback=3345

DawneHope- those are GORGEOUS bras, girl!  Do look for discounts, 'cause they're great bras.  Supportive but sexy.....who could ask for more?

• whitedove
    whitedove Member Posts: 121

Val - Your trip sounds like it was great.  Now you've got my attention.  Perhaps you can TRY to explain how to "set" the wires? I am too impatient to wait til the video comes!

• Estel

Would love to the 'set the wire' video too.  Hope you can find one!

Val61 - glad you found a panache that fit you!  I felt guilty buying the one I have a few weeks ago ... felt like I'd done something wrong.  Mine's a Panche T-shirt bra 5726.  Fits me like a glove.  Going to Nordstroms with other women who have the same addiction ... priceless!  what fun!  :)  A bra addict's dream.  Some day ... those Chantelle bras will be mine!  :)

I'm a reluctant e-bayer but I've tried it ... received my first bra from e-bay ... a Freya eleanor.  It's beautiful and CHEAP!  It's from the UK ... but with the exchange rate, I got it for $11.  Now I'm really hooked.  Is it for real?  Kind of worried that it may a knock-off ...  too good to be true?  Thanks for the e-bay tip.  You all have created a monster here!  :)

• tory
    tory Member Posts: 85

Val, was it sort of a bend over and shake kind of thing? The woman at Nordstrom did that to me when I was a uni w/ no recon and went in to be fitted for a prosthesis & pocket bras. It was weird, but it did the trick! It made me think that getting fitted for a bra was no delicate matter. :-)

• travelgal6979
    travelgal6979 Member Posts: 76

Hi Val.  I new to this board.  Deborah (Whippetmom) suggested that I get in touch w/ you for bra advice.  I just had my exchange surgery on 9/29 and Deborah thought you could advise me on the best type of bras to buy at Nordstrom's while going thru my recovery.  I don't know if you need implant and body type info but just in case, here goes:  my implants were silicone, #20, high profile, 600cc's.  I'm 5'7", 130#, 30" ribcage.  My PS would like me to wear my bras 24/7 which I've been doing.  I bought new bras during my expansion process from VS.  I believe they are the Naked bras in 34D.  They feel comfortable but I wanted to check with you if I should be wearing something else.  Thank you so much for all your help and it's nice to meet you!

• MBJ

dawnhope:  LOL!! The real name for the torture device is:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-136-molded-cup-bra-with-built-in-implant-stabilizer.aspx

Hope this helps!Q

Val:  Vegas sounded like a great good time for all!  they will be talking about it until next year!!!

Travelgal:  I have a 31-32" ribcage, had the 20 implant in 550 ccs and idealy I wear a 34DD or 36D though the larger size will need to be fitted down in the band because I am a 34..  They say go down in band size and up in cup.  If you can find a 32 DD or 32 DDD, this might fit you better, but every bra is different.  Hope this helps some.

• val61

Welcome, Travelgal!  Congrats on your recent exchange - you're almost exactly a year behind me (mine was 9/21/09).  I'd agree with MBJ - with a 30 inch ribcage, you should be wearing no bigger than a 32 band.  My PS would have you in a 30!  Just know that when you size down in the band, you size up in the cup, so you'd probably need a 32E to start.  Nordstrom does have some bras in 32's - and 30's - and go up to H cups in many of them.  One big question:  will your PS allow you to wear underwire?  If so, then go with that because the support is far superior to wireless, and with sizeable implants like yours, gravity can easily prevail.  Read the opening of my thread for descriptions of type and how to get a good fit, but the main point is that you want to keep the implants as stationary as possible.  Let me know about the underwire and I'll give you more specific info about that.

• val61

MBJ - My PS had me wear the stabilizer band after my bmx and TE placement to keep the TE's from migrating up.  I do NOT have fond memories of that contraption!  In fact, I mailed one of them off to another sister from Exchange City last spring....

• travelgal6979

Hi Val.  Wow...thanks for the info.  Regarding the bras I'm currently wearing, I was fitted at VS!  Unbelieveable.  Do they even train those saleswomen/girls?  Yes, I am wearing an underwire.  I will go to Nordstorm's asap.  Do you think in time, after I heal, I could ever wear my VS bras again?  I bought several different ones during my inflation period.  All that money!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

travelgal:  Val's doctor had her in the Freya underwire bras right after the exchange.  Chantelle is good also.  Encapsulation is the key.  The bra needs to encapsulate the breasts. Freya and Chantelle are really gorgeous bras...and expensive. So check with your insurance carrier or plastic surgeon's office because they can send a requisition to Nordstroms.  Nordstroms works with insurance companies.  Many gals here have had their bras covered by insurance. 

What size did you buy in the VS bras?

• travelgal6979

I will check with my PS surgeon's office on sending a requisition over to Nordstroms.  I measured myself again and I am 29" around (does my ribcage keep changing by the day?...haha) so VS telling me to buy 34" sounds surprising, doesn't it?  VS said when I was fitted during the time of my inflations (I was 500cc's at the time) to purchase 34D.  My PS has told me to wear my bra 24/7 which I'm doing.  Thank you Whippetmom

• almagetty
    almagetty Member Posts: 65

Hi Val:

It's my first time posting in this thread. My PS cleared me to wear an underwire bra when I saw him this week. I am 6 weeks out from my exchange. I was at Nordstrom's this past weekend and got fitted. I'm a 36C. I'm a uni, with my implant on the right and my left side completely natural. After experimenting with various bras I have at home, I've found that the implant looks at its best when it has a little push up and in from the lower outside quadrant.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but my implant is a Mentor Smooth Rnd Moderate Plus Profile Gel 475cc.

What is a good bra to wear for daily comfort? For nice cleavage?

I really appreciate your help!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Travelgal...32 E in some bras and 32 DD in others....

• travelgal6979

Thanks Deborah.  Wow...to think I'd ever being wearing bras with those #'s!  :-)

• val61

Welcome, alamgetty!  What bra did the Nordstrom's fitter put you in?  Comfort is nice, but early on - I'm sorry to say - support via encapsulation (as Deborah reminded us) - is key.  Stay in a bra 24/7 for at least for first few months.  I wear a bigger band size bra at night, which is more comfy, but during the day still wear mine pretty tight.  It frankly feels better.  As for comfy bras, a lot of women like ones from Anita - including me.  Just make sure they're well-fitted.  Ideally, you'd be in an unlined (no padding or lining at all) during the day for the first 3 months.  A great one is Anita #5490.  It runs fairly true to size, IMO.  This bra didn't work for me - too much extra space in the nip area - but it's fantastic in so many ways, not to mention super soft.  I did have success with Anita "Alicia" #5690.  It's seamless, but very supportive.  My favorite post-op bra, though, is Freya "Pollyanna" #5922.  It does have a 3-way seamed cup - which is why it's so supportive - so does show a bit in tight tops.  I sucked it up for the first three months and covered up with sweaters & scarves, though.  As for bras for cleavage, the bra that I one of our fellow sisters got in Vegas is fabulous, but it doesn't work for everybody.  It's the Freya"Deco Plunge" #4234.  If you're fairly full in the upper pole, you' might be okay, but it didn't work for me, and I think I have a good bit of fullness there.  Check out the Panache bra I linked in one of my posts on this page.  It's comfy and gives a great sillouette - though admittedly doesn't really push the foobs together much. 

Travelgal - see....Whippetmom and I both said the same size for you..... :)   And PLEASE don't believe what they told you at VS - everybody here knows exactly what I think of THOSE fitters (and most of their bras, to be honest).  Now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since you were fitted during TE's.  Those things can't possibly be really fit into bras anyway.  Read what I wrote about how to fit an underwire at the beginning of this thread.  That'll help a lot.  You just want to make sure that there's very little movement, so encapsulate those puppies!