Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Michele S - Thanks for recommending the Hanes front closure bra for sleeping.... just bought one today from Walmart for only $7.... will try it tonight. 

Kate -- too funny on the letters -- love it! 

MBJ - torpedo launcher - hahaha. 

• vanderlady

Happy -- Good luck on Friday!  No, my PS gave me ZERO instructions.... the ladies here helped me out the most! 

• janet in virginia
    janet in virginia Member Posts: 923

I don't know.  After this mastectomy, I'll think I'll just stick a sock in my bra and be done with it:)

Seriously - thanks for all your kind thoughts & I'm taking notes on all these bras.   I know I'll get over it eventually, but after my first attemps at Nordstroms/Vic Secret telling someone outside my family, I'm totally gun shy to tell anyone else.  I lead a book club and we met tonight.  I just could not bring myself to tell them I was having mastectomy next week.  I did not have the words and didn't think I was up to handling whatever response I would get.   Just very thankful you all are here!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

JanetinVirginia:  Hugs!!!!  I have found that I am very careful who I tell regarding my BC.  It's just not a topic for general conversation.  BCO is great!!!

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

When I first got my BC dx, it was so much in the forefront of my brain I really had to bite my tongue sometimes.  I really just wanted to walk up to every person I saw and blurt out the first words of my mouth.  "You know, I was just diagnosed with breast cancer!  Don't that beat all?"  It was overwhelming!  haha.  After a couple weeks though, I didn't feel it so strongly.  Now, I feel as if I can pull the BC card anytime, anywhere. Just to see peoples reactions.  Just remember it's their problem, not yours.

My surgery went fine!  Got to the hospital at 1:45 and was back home by 7:00.  All I had on was some surgical, clear tape across the incision, and some guaze inside the "sports bra" thingy.  It's really too big for me, but PS said he had nothing smaller.  Put me in a 36D.  So I'm pretty gappy.  Took out the gauze and just wearing the bra.  I've posted pics on the pic forum.  I'm really pleased.  Still one side lower than the other, but not too noticeable.

My PS also told me that after one month I can wear whatever kind of bra, however I want to wear it.  It won't matter to him or to me.  I asked him about the pros/cons of underwire and he said it makes no difference as long as it fits and is comfortable.  So.  I'm happy!  Will wait awhile to go bra shopping until my drop and fluff!

But boy are they soft!!!  Have to warn DH not to squeeze so tightly, since all he's had to squeeze lately are 2 bricks sticking out of my chest!  haha

• MBJ

Happymom:  It's been a month now and my DH can finally, gently touch them without me jumping out of my skin because they are so sensitive.  I'll go have a look on the picture forum.  Congratulations on being happy with them!  You are so lucky to have it go so quickly--I was at the hospital for 12 hours waiting in line LOL! 

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

I know this has probably been posted so forgive the repitition-

Just curious- what is everyone sleeping in at night?  I've been sleeping in a sport bra but sometimes I wake up and am sore between my shoulder blades.  Not sure if it's related to the strap down the middle of the sports bra or not.  Any suggestions on night time bras for those of us who aren't comfortable without one?

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Um -- I sleep in nothing :)

• MBJ

Lilah: TMI LOL!!!! 

Kate:  Because I am so tall, everything I sleep in hurts my shoulder blades!  I rotate between a cami with a little support, a sports bra or the one I am supposed to be wearing (which is most of the time) which is, you know, the torpedo launcher device.

• Lilah

LOL on the thought of you sleeping in your torpedo launcher device MBJ :)

• Lilah

I did sleep in a post-surgical bra for the first two months (per PS's instructions) but she said I could stop after that and so I did! 

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

my implants are small so my PS said I could ditch my bra at night.  I slept in a bra for the 1st 2 weeks.  My PS usually reccs that his pts sleep in a bra for 4-6 weeks.

• speech529
    speech529 Member Posts: 148

Hello Ladies

I am new to this thread.  I had a unilateral NSM with immediate reconstruction (alloderm) and implants placed in both breasts.  I, too, love my PS, but she did not tell me much about bras.  She told me to buy the sportsbra from walmart--which I did.  She said to get one as tight as I can stand.  The problem is they stretch out and my breasts seem to go to the sides after a while. 

I had very small breasts (barely A) that were very widely spaced prior to surgery. Now I am a large B, small C, depending on the bra.  My breasts still seem far apart.  Maybe that is normal for someone who looked like me prior to surgery.

I bought a Warner bra this weekend that I can adjust to keep my breasts up and more together.  It feels and looks better.  I will see how my breasts look after wearing for a few days.  I think I will wear it at night.  This bra feels much better than the cheepo sports bra.

My PS did not tell me anything about bras yet--hoping at our next appt I can get some information here.  An underwire bra seems like it would be painful, so I can understand how you would have to be properly measured for one. 

This thread has so much great information.  I will be back to read more. 

Thanks, K

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Welcome K, this is a great place and I learn so much from everyone~

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83
    K- Welcome.  This thread is great.  I was convinced that I loved going sans bra until I found this thread.  I remember Val said she actually felt MORE comfy in a bra than not and I she wthought she was crazy! ( Sorry Val Wink). But truth be told I listened a lot and now I swear she is brilliant.  I also truly feel super comfy with a good bra on and  am a bra junkie now!  I will still wear my tank tops next summer without a bra once in a while, well-- because I can!  But other than that I am always searching for great bras for a good value.  Good luck! Hugs to you♥
  • Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

speech529- Prior to MX I was a totally anti-underwire girl.  I couldn't understand how anyone could wear those things.  Now I know I was wearing the wrong size so the wires weren't hitting were they should.  At my Nordstrom's fitting I bought all underwires and actually wore one of them out of the store and for the rest of the day.  It was (and is) so comfortable.  And I feel like it's holding those girls where they belong! :)

• speech529

Kate33  that makes total sense.  I used to wear highly padded bras with underwire (not sure what it was holding up!! Laughing).  I plan to go to Nordstrom for a couple of nice bras after I see my PS one more time.

I am so tired of the cotton sports bra.  I don't think it's offering me enough support.  I have had this Warner bra on all day and the girls are more where they belong.

thanks everyone....i will be back!

• MBJ

speech529:  K welcome!  I am a uni, too!  Wish I could have done the nipple sparing, though.   Which style Warners bra did you purchase?  Bras make a huge difference and I think the girls here know more then my PS, so as soon as I can get a great Nordstrom fitter, I will purchase some underwires, but for now, VS works. 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Good morning, fellow bra junkies!  Sorry I've been MIA for awhile....lots of travelling, work, cleaning house.....you know how it goes!

Welcome, speech!  So glad you found us!  I completely understand about the wide spacing issue.  My natural breasts - such that they were - were very widely spaced. Granted, I was flat as a pancake, so I guess it was just my nips that were far apart....lol!  I do have some space between my implants - unlike many whom I've seen in the pic forum.  There are a couple of explanations for that:  for me, since I had so little skin after my bmx to work with (being previously so tiny), the implants took it all up - nothing left, especially in the upper-pole area that would add to that "more natural" look.  Does that make sense?  The other reason is purely anatomical - some of us (me included)  have fascia that can only be released so far.  My PS got my implants as close as he could, but I must admit I wish they were a bit closer.....just gives a less "I've had a boob job" look.

Tamgam - I'm more than happy to provide you with some humor in your day, my dear!  Feel free to consider me crazy anytime.......'cause I probably am!

Speaking of crazy......kate, you asked about sleep bras.  I confess, I'm still sleeping in underwire!  My sleep bras are by Freya - the "Arabella" and "Eleanor" styles.  They're sheer mesh, seamed, with tons of support - especially lateral, which is what I need.  Periodically I've tried my Soma "Spa Yoga" bra - and did so a couple nights ago - but it just doesn't cut it.  And just for the record, my foobs just had their first birthday last week - though my left side was revised in late January (I guess they're "step-foobs", huh?) - so I'm not exactly new post-exchange.  I think the key is to find some bra - if you're a bra-sleeper, that is (don't worry, Lilah, I won't come & put one on you!) - that provides enough support, but is still comfy enough to sleep.  It most likely won't be the same for everybody.

• speech529

Hi ladies

Thanks for the warm welcome!  The Warner bra I purchased is called "True Fit" and it is style #2043.  You can adjust the straps to pull your breasts up for light to maximum lift. It also converts to a criss-cross.  

When I wear the right bra, my breasts are closer.  I guess they move around nicely, but au naturelle, they are a little far apart.   I am not complaining, however.  My surgeons got rid of the DCIS and they did a beautiful job putting me back together so well.

It's all so new and I am very grateful for this website and the particular threads I have found.

• MBJ

Val:  Step Foob! LOL!!!

Speech:  I have that bra!  It was the first one I bought during expansion guessing what size I would be.  I like that it can be worn multiple ways has a nice wide back strap, too!  No fat-back!!

• MBJ

Val:  You could try my Torpedo Marena Launcher to try and get the top to slope more naturally--but only if you are into self torture!!

• Lilah

LOL Val -- I will hold you to that!  Actually, for me it has a lot to do with the gummy implant I have.  It does not move.  When I lie on my back it sticks straight up.  Nothing is going to move it so I really don't need support.  In fact, I would not mind at all if it got a little loose LOL.  It is soft and squishy but firm (not as squishy as regular silicone, as I understand it).  My remaining natural breast (which does move some) might need some help but it is NOT getting any because I am too happy sleeping bra free.

• tamgam

Val- You are too funny!  "step-foob"!  LMAO

• vanderlady

Welcome K aka speech -- I too am a uni NSM.  I found that the Maidenform One Fab Fit (underwire) is super comfortable and it brings them up and in.  Most stores carry them but I found them at Ross for $9.99 and Bealls Outlet for $5.99 .... what a bargain! I had trouble with the Warner non-underwire as it pushed the foobs down and out and caused pain.  Also my PS told me that all front-closing bras will bring them up and in more.  Pam

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966

HEY SWEET VAL..................

We only have two days.........

You might wanna post on the VEGAS thread about the " great bra exchange" in Vegas.

The bra swap out...... :) I Have not heard anything about it for some time...

I THINK you and Deb were going to make this a big thing in Vegas?????????

Anyway... if it changed to a " no big deal thing" ...cool

If it is still a big thing....... you might wanna spend the next two days posting HOW this is going to go down.

Love !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

Hi everyone~  I have a bra-sizing question.  I bought a bunch of Athleta (sp?) sports bras in 34B and they fit fine.  Then I ordered a Very Sexy wire free in 34B and the band is OK on the tightest setting but the cups are too small ('tho I don't fill them-- does that make sense?).  So, I bought a wire free Warner's push-up from Tuesday Morning for $9.99 in 34B. Same issue 'cept the band seems bigger.  I measure 34 inches above the foobs and 32 at the IMF.  I measure 36 across the foobs.  So.... after all that, here's my question (LOL):  I want to order a few Wocoal and Freya bras online (no Nordies) from ebay-- any suggestions on size?  Does anyone have the bras I do AND the others? How does the sizing compare??

thx!!

xxoo

• MBJ

Michele:  I found that the Warner's cups are a bit bigger then others ad all bras fit differently, so I am still in the experimental stage.  You are pretty recent with your exhange, aren't you?  They may change some before your done. Measuring only helped me a little bit.  I should be a 36 D but that isn't the case:  in the Warners I am a 36C, VS I am a 34DD or 36D (depends on what sizes they come in), I tried on some bras at Kohls, and I am all over the place there, too.  Because I can't find the double D's in most stores I have to order on line and I am just sending back/exchanging what doesnt' fit.  Maybe order 2 sizes to see what will work? Good luck!

Lilah:  I just posted on another thread that the VS Bra Tops might make a great sleep bra and they range from barely any support to push them in and up!

• Lilah

Cool I will check those out MBJ -- thanks :)

• tamgam

I found that I even differ in size a bit between styles of the same maker.  Bought and LOVE,LOVE,LOVE a wacoal seemless smooth bra (style???) off ebay in a 34G and it is super comfy.  Yet the same brand in the Arabesque style is way too big in the cup.  It just depends!  I was obsesseing over the deals on ebay but some no return policies make it a little iffy.  I just tried on some DDD in another brand and the cup fit fine but it was not anywhere as well comstructed as the better brands.  Trial and error, for sure!