Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

(((((((Speech)))))) - So happy you had a good experience w/ Nordie's, even though it was tough at first.  We've all been there, so we understand.....

Laura - First of all, I certainly don't intend to circumvent ANY PS's recommendations, so I hope I'm not coming across as doing so!  I'm not a medical professional, just somebody who's been through the trials and tribulations of bras and hope to maybe help somebody else doing the same. My PS recommends bras - specifically underwire ones - to fully support the implants, especially during the first few months after exchange.  Eventually scar tissue forms the "capsule" around the implants, which offers some support actually, but initially there's not much support naturally and gravity can have its way.  He believes - which I know is contrary to many other PS's - that even after the initial few months of healing that bras should be worn most of the time - for support and to keep the implants in place, especially for those of us w/ funky ribcages or are very active w/ our arms (w/ yoga, pilates).   As for sleeping, there's a good bit of gravitational pull on the implants - laterally if you're a back sleeper, especially - so it makes sense to prevent that, as well.  That being said, my PS also believes that at some point it's necessary to "get on with your life" and if that includes not sleeping in a bra for comfort or other reasons, then so be it.   Hope that helps clarify things.    Just know that I'm really NOT trying to tell everybody to sleep in a bra!

Gosh.....I haven't been to the pic forum in FOREVER, so I need to go check out all your new bra pics!  Maybe I'll take some pics of my newest acquisitions......

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

Hi all, well VS was a total wash out, though not surprised after reading others comments here.  Fitter said I was a 34B.  I had just tried on some of my old 34B and had to laugh!  Don't have a Nordstroms around here, unless I drove to Atlanta. (1 1/2 hours away).  But I did try on a few at another store and bought one.  As I was checking out, saw a flier from Wacoal about being professionally fitted and them donating to Susan G. Komen.  So I set up an appt for the next day.  I've never been properly fitted and she fit me as a 32D!!  She picked out several bras for me and I bought 2 Wacoal's that I love.  So now I have 3.  I've always bought 34's!!  Imagine that.  Even the bra I bought the day before had been a 34D.  I did order some VS online that should be arriving this week.  We'll see!  What really excited me was that for the first time in my life I was able to buy a bra that had absolutely NO PADDING!  Woot!

It is really fun and I love these new foobs!!  They rock!!  Laughing

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219

I will like to add , if anybody knows of reasonable priced bras, please post it, many of the bras are around $40 plus, some $75;  I work at the cancer center with many ladies that  can not afford this expense,also Insurance if they pay have limit for the cost

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

dreaming--I know what you mean!  Those Wacoals I bought were the most expensive bras I've ever paid!  But, I think once you have your size correct, you can buy them anywhere, when they're on sale.  I know that some ladies have to wear the more expensive bras because of skin, incisions issues.  I seriously doubt that I will buy expensive bras like that again.  The key is to be professionally fitted, I think.  The first one I bought, that I really love, was only $15 on sale.  My trouble, I think is going to be trying to find a 32D.  Lots of 34's.  The 2 bras I purchased online from VS were on sale for $22 each.  Plus, I had a special code for even more off.  IMO, I don't see why bras have to cost and arm and a leg if they fit well.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Ladies, ladies!  Go to EBAY for cheap bras!  You can buy NEW bras there.  If you know the size and style you need you are golden.  Do not hesitate!  Start today!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Kohl's, TJ Max, Marshalls all have great bras for a very nice price,too.  Just know that every brand fits differently.  Some the band will be too tight or the cup will be too small.  I am 3 different sizes depending on the bra style and manufacturer!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I second what Lilah is saying about e-bay.  I was hesitant, afraid I would get taken but I went ahead and tried it.  And I've easily saved 70% of what I would have paid in a store.  Get fitted first by Nordstroms or someone who really knows what they're doing.  Try some on in a store.  I feel guilty spending a bunch of time in a store with a nice salesperson and not buying anything, so try, if you can, to buy at least one.  But write down the style and the numbers of the bras that work for you and then go and buy them on ebay.  Again, I was fearful about doing it ... but am exceedingly happy I've done so.  My pocketbook is too!

I totally agree with MBJ too!  I've quit trying to buy bras online that I've never tried on because they all are different.  TRY THEM ON in a store and THEN order what you need.  They really all are different.

• MBJ

DawnHope:  I ended up with a couple from Nordstrom, a couple from VS and the rest from Kohl's and TJMax.  I love me a bargain!!

• speech529
    speech529 Member Posts: 148

I have always, always, always been a bargain hunter. All my clothes come from Ross, TJMaxx or Marshalls.  Paying $62, $68 and $70 for a bra?  Never.   But I did it on Friday.  This is the first time in my life that a bra has actually fit me (that is there was something to go in the cup!).  I found out that I was buying bras too large around the band, too.

I will wait until there is a sale next time.  But it was time for me.  Isn't there some sort of non-profit that helps women get decent bras at a discount?

Thanks for the tip on Ebay.

• Lilah

Oh and I second TJ Maxx -- especially if you're allowed to wear wired bras -- they have a FAB selection of bras and sometimes the prices can be SO low it's criminal!

• Estel

speech529 - think about the thousands of dollars that have been paid to get these new girls.  I see it as an investment ... if I want them to stay nice I need to do what it takes to keep them nice.  Don't feel guilty about spending that money!  I used to be a runner and now am a walker and I've always spent the money to get good running shoes.  My back feels better, my knees, my feet, my toes ... I kind of see bras now like a good running shoe:  you get what you pay for!  :)

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Very well said, DawneHope!  Though I do understand what Dreaming says about the expense.  There are less expensive bras, but their construction is generally inferior, so getting fitted then trying to find them on e-bay is a great option.  TJMaxx and Marshall are also great sources, unless you're smaller than a 34, then the pickings are slim....

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

speech:  Many health care providers PAY for the bras!  Nordstroms accepts insurance payments through providers.  You can likely turn in your receipt to your provider.  Call your cancer coordinator or your PS' office and ask them who you should talk to about this.  I know Jerusha gets something insane - like six bras a year or something like that - covered by insurance. 

• MBJ

Just thought I would let you know I finally posted some of my bra pictures!

• Lilah

Cool MBJ!  I'll check 'em out!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
     Whippetmom: The insurance company actually told me 12!!! I said."oh, I'm sure that wont be enough..."(haha). They said "really.... Ok just tell us how many you need!" Well, we'll have to see if they put their $ where their mouths are. And its yearly... and forever....!
  • MBJ

Jerusha:  That's great!  We all know that we need a different bra for every outfit! 

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Jerusha.. Lucky you! I wish my insurance paid they only pay for bras with prosthesis.. This doesn't help me!

• Estel
    Jerusha - Keep laying it on ... twelve most definitely is not enough!  Laughing   I want your insurance!
  • Estel
    A sign you've a problem:  I went into Nordstrom's this evening and the woman working there looked up, smiled and said hello addressing me by my first name!  LOL!   Laughing
  • Lilah

LOL Dawn!

MBJ -- cute new pic!

• MBJ

Lilah:  Thank you!  That's me in front of the Royal Palace in Madrid where we just came back from.  I can't figure out how else to post pictures on here!!!

• Lilah

Oh nice!  Madrid!  I am so jealous :)  Even though it's a tiny picture I have to say your foobs look very nice in that red top!

• MBJ

Lilah:  It's my only picture of my foobs in clothing LOL!  It was a really nice vacation and we lucked out with the weather being nice until we left.  Can you just copy and paste pictures on BCO or is there some other thing one has to do?

• Lilah

I don't know how to do that lol -- I have never tried!  You mean putting pictures into the body of a post here right (instead of as an avatar)?  I think people use something called Photo Bucket... but wait and see if someone who has done it answers.

• MBJ

Thanks, Lilah!

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Hi ladies, I went bra shopping on Monday without being fitted and it was a nightmare. Nothing fit right, but I remembered Deborah's recommendation of 32D. I couldn't find ANY 32D's at Kohl's or TJ's so I tried some 34D's. Some of them fit, some too big. I found 36Cs fit really well and comfortable and supportable. I am wondering now if there is some reason that the band has to be so tight like a 32 or 34. Even if I try a 34 I feel so suffocated and it digs in me and leaves a mark. If the 36C fits good and feels good is it wrong to wear it if technically it is not the size I am supposed to wear? Also underwires, my Dr said no for now. I am wondering if I can ever wear them and what up push up or demi bras?

Whippetmom- I did find some great champion bras that  you recommended at Kohls and you were right they give good lateral support. I'd be happy wearing those all day but they don't look so great under a nice blouse or lower cut top.

• almagetty
    almagetty Member Posts: 65

I received my shipment from Nordstrom's yesterday. I love 2 out of the 3 bras I ordered. I think that's pretty good. The ones I love: Wacoal 'Feminine Edge 851122'  and Chantelle Intimates 'Sublime - 3951'  (which I'm wearing right now! Sooooo Comfortable!). The one that didn't fit at all because the cup size was too huge was the Le Mystère 'Dream Tisha 9955' . I ordered all of them in 36C. The LeMystere was at least one cup size too big.

I'm going to Nordstrom today to exchange it. Hopefully, I can pick up a couple more of the Wacoal "Feminine Edge", which is on sale right now.

• whippetmom

sweetie:  You are supposed to be using the hooks at the end of the strap first, and then you work your way to the inside hooks as the bra starts to loosen up.  But I suppose I have the European bra band sizes in my head - and the band is smaller on the Euro bras.  So a 36 C would become a 34 D.  A 34 D is most likely your size - you just need to find the right style and mfr for your frame. 

• whippetmom

Looking pretty buxom in that photo MBJ!!!!