Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• asr51
    asr51 Member Posts: 28

At first I did wear cami's with the shelf bra, but as I started getting fills and my foobs started getting heavier, I needed something more substantial.  That's when I found the bra at Soma.  I like it a lot and it's very comfortable, but it just doesn't work with all my shirts.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

asr51 - I bought that bra at Soma during my fills, too, when I needed something under a white blouse.  My PS told me no bra during TE's, though - didn't want the band pushing my TE's up - so I didn't wear it very often.  It was really comfy, though it does come up really high.  You might try the bra my PS gave me after my drains came out post-exchange, before I got fitted with the underwire.  It's the Warner's "Elements of Bliss" Two-Ply Wirefree bra, style #1003. 

http://www.barenecessities.com/Warners-Elements-of-Bliss-Two-Ply-Wire-free-Bra_product_Warners1003_,search,.htm

It's very soft, comes down fairly low between the cups, and doesn't have a strong band that would push the TE's up.  Worth a try.  You can find padded versions of that bra at Kohl's and I think Macy's, but that version I've only seen online and at my PS's office.  It doesn't come any smaller than a 34 band, so if you're smaller than that, either live with it loose - which is probably good with TE's anyway - or take seams in it (which is what I did).  Good luck!

I need to post that in our bra info; will get to that soon. 

• asr51
    asr51 Member Posts: 28

Thanks so much for the bra suggestion.  I'm going to go tomorrow and try to find it. 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

I took one of my old bras, removed the wires, and being a uni, stuffed the other side.  Any wireless would be comfortable.

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83

I went to VS last night and had a "fitting".  It was lame at best.  The salesgirl was sweet but it was def. not the kind of knowledge needed for my large foobs.  They had nothing larger than 34dd and the fits just did oit give me support.  Had I not been for a fitting at a great shop last week I may have thought I was getting the help I needed but now I know better.  At the small shop I purchased a very well made supportive bra and the VS are pretty but the support is just not there.

I must say though that the VS Incredible bra is very comfy and I would have loved it if I were smaller breasted and did not need the serious support.  I havre been totally converted to believeing the importance of a good bra after implants. I just feel "locked and loaded" and so much prettier with a great bra on. Have a great day girls!

• val61

As many of you already know, those are EXACTLY my sentiments about VS!  Glad you got a good fitting at the other place, though!  Locked and loaded is just perfect for the new girls!

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Bras, bras, bras.  It seems like each week I'll find a bra that fits great and is comfortable..... then the next week it is not, is very uncomfortable, and drives me nuts!  Crazy, huh?  This week I'm loving my DKNY bra I bought at Macy's just on  whim because it was priced 30% off.   

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    vanderlady - i so get it!  i've spent more money on bras in the last three weeks than in the last five years.  What worked two weeks ago isn't working now.  frustrating, isn't it?  worth it, though!  Smile  Ordered a new batch of bras that should get here this week.  Hopefully they'll work because I'm out of money! 
  • MBJ

I am so right there with you!  Nothing seems to fit right no matter the style or size and it's just trial and error and many stores don't carry my size so I don't know which bras work and which don't.  None of the old rules apply! 

• Estel

new boobies, low funds, changing body ... what's a girl to do?  ;)

• MBJ

Go topless??? LOL!  Just kidding!  Good night!

• val61

How's this for bra addiction:  thanks to my tamoxifen-induced sleep issues, I wake up early most mornings, but sometimes it's really early - like yesterday at 4:15.  After not being able to go back to sleep, I got up and headed to the computer.  What did I do?  Shop for bras, of course! 

Thankfully, though, every bra I purchased still works, so no $ down the drain.  Sorry that's not the case for some of you.  I'm actually at the point now, though, that the ones I bought immediately after my exchange and wore for several months everyday have stretched out a good bit.  Sounds like an excuse for more shopping.......Smile

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Ladies, keep those bras around even if they start to be uncomfortable.  I'm finding that after a month or two I can wear formerly uncomfortable bras.  I also change my bras 2-3 times a day on those days when I just can't get comfortable.  It's a bit of a drag, but I never liked the feel of underwire bras, and probably never will.

• tamgam

I too love a bra one day and find it super irritating the next.  I have taken to changing styles often so the bras are not bothering me in the same spots.  It does tend to get better after a while if you do not overwear the same bra. I am borderline obsessive about bra shopping too.  I want to scour a bra dept. for hours.  Once I got over the idea of "wanting" to go braless because I thought I deserved as much after the whole BC ordeal, I realized I like wearing one and feel better.  I think I was just determined that bra freedom was owed to me and it took a while to let go of my stubborn ideas.  SO glad I did.  Now to talk myself into sleeping in one.  Baby steps, right Val?

• Twylight
    Twylight Member Posts: 27

Neither could I, Dawne-Hope, and wore the same cami's that you did, the one's with the built in shelf.  They worked perfectly.  asr51, what I did was to buy them a size smaller so that they would fit snugly and offer better support for the TE's.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339

Hi there Kristinka, and other women writing about their bra travails. I was really consoled (but sorry for you...) to read that you change your bra many times throughout the day. At this point  (3 months post xchnge) I never leave the house without 3 or 4 bras, unless I am wearing my old reliable post-op compression bras. Sooo many pretty bras that I have acquired. (I truly am ready for a 12-step program. In the first month I bought and returned 68 bras!!!! Probably have bought and returned half again as many; but I've now stopped counting!) NOTHING is comfortable -- EVERYTHING, including bra-less, feels uncomfortable. I have been blaming this on my gummy bears. It seems that everyone is always raving about their yippee squishyness, which is a phenomenon sadly outside of my experience so far! I have been very seriously considering having my gummies switched out for regular silicone rounds. Actually, some days I feel that I could actually do it myself!! The idea that there can be so much discomfort with regular implants is completely new to me and gives me great pause... This may sound like an odd request, but could you put into words what the discomfort is  "like". I want to figure out if it is the same as what I've got, or different. You can PM me if you would like. Thanks so much!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

vanderlady- I loved my DKNY bras for the first few weeks.  Now I notice that as the day goes on the shoulder straps keep loosening up and then slip.  Have you had this issue with any of yours?  I bought 3 and they all seem to do this.  It's driving me crazy.  

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Kate -- Just today I noticed my DKNY strap was loose so I tightened it.  I've been wearing it all week. Interestingly though with my other bras, if the strap is too loose, I"ll get muscular pain above the foob, but that didn't happen today with the DKNY.  Yeah, after all my purchases, I like tht one so much, I"m thinking about going back to Macy's to buy another. Kiss

Jerusha --- You had me in stitches.... then as I read on, it got a little more serious.  I too am contemplating revision..... I vascilate between oh, it's ok, to no, I want them switched out.... oh about three times a day.  My pain is muscular above the breast... I believe it is muscular. I wonder if it is because my implant is too small for the pocket and it moves and wants to travel out and down.... I think this causes pulling on the muscle and hence the pain. 

Other than that, if I don't have the right bra, I'll get pinched sometimes in the outer / lateral side that will just need a readjustment before I head out the door.  I too have thought about bringing a bra with me for the day..... but 4, that's pretty funny. 

DH, Val & MBJ - Interestingly, I found my Maidenform bra at Macy's, found the same bra for 9.99 at Ross/ Marshalls.  Surprisingly today I found the same bra but with a different namebrand on it at Bealls Outlet for 5.99, I recognized it and checked the fine print stating made by Madenform.  So it definitely pays to shop around.   

Tamgam - I've been sleeping in the Hanes barely there bras....soft, no wires.  It has been working well and still very comfotable. I don't get enough support during the day with this though.

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Jerusha,  sorry you are still so uncomfortable.  I am 7 months out from my exchange, and I do think I'm a bit more comfortable with each passing month.  I wish the same for you.  I have the regular round silicone implants.  The pain I have is usually along the wire underneath the foob near the IMF when I am wearing an underwire bra - I think my pointy rib cage almost comes to a ^ in front and the wire presses along my ribs.  The freya pollyanna bra is the only one that fits close to perfectly, but even it can press in on me.  When I'm fed up, I pull out my old 36 bras for some relief or one of my new no-wire sports bras.  (Usually I wear 34 bras with underwires that fit snuggly, correctly, and at times irksomely).  Good luck to you - and remember you are only 3 months out.  Make sure to keep on doing big arm stretches to keep your pecs loose.

I'm not a fan of the DKNY bras - the straps are too thin for me and kind of cut into me. Natori with the wide straps is much more comfortable for me.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dawne-Hope -- have you tried E-bay?  I understand you can get a real bargain if you know exactly what you want (new goods ARE sold there).

Jerusha -- ugh so sorry you're so uncomfortable.  It's hard to know if the discomfort is due to the gummies or not.  Did you have discomfort with the TEs?  I know there is a thread about post-mastectomy pain syndrome started by Deeds (sister of Whippetmom) that might have info.  Have you been stretching and doing other things to loosen yourself up?  I found that after exchange the TE pain (which toward the end ran the length of my right arm and to my shoulder blade) was gone.  Now I occasionally have some pain in that area (mostly when I am too long at the computer) but that pain goes away with massage and stretching (and is nothing compared to what it was when I had the TE).  I hope you find relief -- whether by exchanging out to regular silicone or by other treatment.  Have you considered consulting with an LE therapist?  I understand that there is something called trunkal lympedema and that CAN cause chest pain.  Anyway sorry to not have a lot of expert advice... but wanted you to know I care.

I find I am comfortable wearing a bra all day long and don't bring a change of bra with me when I'm out -- even if I'm wearing the bra for 12 hours or more. 

• tamgam

Lilah, I just found 2 wacoal bras, nwt on ebay for more than 1/2 price.  I can not wait to get them and try them on.  I love ebay!

• Estel

kate33 - marvelous about getting away!  There's healing in that, I'm sure.  So good.  Happy to hear your pain is better too.  Smile

Lilah - I haven't tried e-bay.  I'm still trying to figure out what's good on me, what sizes are best, once all that is figured out, I'll check it out.  What I really need to do on e-bay though, is sell some!  Then I could buy some more!  Laughing

Well ladies, another chapter has been written in the great bra hunt.  Had my six month follow-up with my breast surgeon in St. Louis today.  Received a good report and don't have to see her again for a year.  Took that opportunity to go to Ann's Bra Shop.  I'm wearing two bras these days because the ones I have are not giving me enough support.  I asked for a surgical fitter and when she saw me, she shook her head as I'm taking off my 'bras.'  She said, "Look at your skin, those bras are moving all over on you, you need a tighter band."  I'm in desperate need of work-out bras.  Tried going back to the gym last week and it hurt because my bras weren't giving me enough support ... so told her that and she brought in a Lime (not color, brand name) exercise bra.  It was expensive ($70) but it felt fantastic.  Hadn't heard of those before.  She only had a 32DD and I needed a D, it was a little big.  I ended up buying a Freya AA4001NE exercise bra without a wire.  I'm pleased.  We'll see how it feels in the gym this week.  I told her I wanted to try some underwires and 30DD's were the best fit.  Kind of shocked me because I don't have a lot of projection.  I think it is the width of the implants.  The one that fit the best and felt the best was a Panache T-Shirt Bra 5726.  In the back of my head, I keep thinking isn't the one that you all said wasn't good for reconstructed breasts?  On the drive home this evening I kept mulling that over and sure enough, it's right there in the intro.  I'll post a picture on the bra thread in the picture forum.  It fits me like a glove. What is the problem with this brand, why don't they normally work for reconstructed breasts?  I feel a little guilty!  It feels so good ...

I then tried Nordstrom's again.  I asked for a surgical fitter and there weren't any available but I told the lady what I needed and wanted and she said, "Oh yes, I can do that."  We tried some and ended up with a Wacoal 65149 32DD.  Love it!  She had a blue one on sale (never had a blue bra before) and I bought it.  Wore it for the drive home and I've never felt better driving.  It's pretty too!  :)

I ordered three bras last week that all came today and were waiting for me when I arrived home.  One was an Anita sports bra that absolutely did not work, at all.  There was a Bendon Max-out sports bra that I ordered in a 32C which was too small.  And my question to you ladies is, how in the world do you get that thing on?  I live by myself therefore there is no one able to help me and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.  Do you put your head in first and and then fasten in the back?  What the heck?  Seriously somebody could write a great comedy routine with all this stuff.  So ... I may exchange that one ... but someone PLEASE give me instructions on how to put it on.  Tongue out

What do you all sleep in?  I ordered a Marena bra to sleep in, but it's too big.  I need a smaller cup. 

Anyway, that's my day.  I'm a DD in an underwire!  woo hooo!  

Can we get a tax right off for buying all these bras?  Wink 

• Estel

With what do you wash your bras?  The lady at Nordstroms told me that I shouldn't use Woolite because it will stretch them out.  True?  Wasn't sure if she feeding me a line and just trying to sell me their stuff. 

• tamgam

I bought a product called Soak. It is made to simply soak for 15 min. and then wring out without rinsing. It is designed to be safe for the fine fibers and extend the life of our precious bras! it is pretty expensive but the saleswomen said it only takes a few drops and lasts a very long time for all her fine washables!  So far so good and it smells very fresh but not perfumy!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339

Hey Dawne-Hope, way to go with all those bras...little did any of us suspect that bras would become such a full-time obsession!! Having previously been a "D" all of my life I have always had plenty of pretty,frilly underwires, but didnt care much about them and really all I cared about was being comfy and taking my bra OFF the second I got home at the end of the day. The idea of no bra post MX (as I imagined) seemed like such a perk! Now, suddenly, bras have taken on a whole NEW dimension. In addition to the comfort factor and the looking good in clothes factor, the IDEA of a bra, especially a beautiful and sexy one, seems to have a lot of meaning and importance, and has a lot to do -- I think--  with feeling normal and feeling whole, and  being good-enough. I suspect that is the case for us all. And thus the massive accumulations of bras.

But THAT is not what I was planning to say! Bras may not be a write-off ( not a bad thought, though), but I hope you and others know that most insurance companies will pay for them. They cover not only surgical bras, but plain old department store ones. Some insurance companies have an "unlimited" policy, others give you a per 6 month or per-year allotment. For EVER!!! EVERY YEAR!! For example, my insurance company told me to start with 12, but if I needed more...(Of COURSE I need more. HA HA).  All they require is to have my doctor write BRAS on a script, and I send that along with my receipts. Nordstrom actually fills out some special form for sending to the insurance company. 

SO keep those Freyas and Chantelles, Natoris and Wacoals coming, courtesy of your insurance company, thank you (them) very much!!! 

• val61

jershua - I honestly didn't know that some insurance companies paid for other than surgical bras.  Thanks for the tip!  We are certainly alike in our love of bras!  You are quite right....the lacy, pretty, sexy ones do represent for me that my body CAN be all of those things again.....though quite frankly I never considered myself to be any of those things before.....go figure....

dawne - Congrats on the new bras!  And we're the same size!  Just goes to show you how you can't base bra sizes on implant sizes.  For washing bras, I use the lingerie wash by Nordstrom and wash them in my bathroom sink.  The Bendon bra is challenging at first to get into, but you'll get the hang of it.  Here's what I wrote for Waldo this summer when she bought hers and couldn't figure out how to get into it:  I hear your frustration 'cause that was me!  I can now put that bra on in the dark - which I frequently do in order to not wake my dh at 5:00am when I'm getting dressed for my 5:30am class.  Here's how:  with the straps crossed & connected at the back, grab both ends of the straps (the front and the back) in each hand.  You'll then have a circular opening.  Put your head through that circle.  Carefully, put one arm through the strap opening.  Pull the cup on that side under your implant and get it sort of postioned.  Do the same on the other side.  Reach behind you and hook that sucker up.  Repostion the implants to make sure they're inside the wires.  I'd be willing to bet that you won't be bouncing, girl!

Now....about the Panache bras....I'm glad they work for you 'casue they make great ones for D+ cups.  I first tried a couple at Nordstrom's, and that's where the fitter told me that they often don't work for reconstructed breasts.  Several months later, I decided to try again and I think I tried 4 or 5 styles of them that I ordered online.  None worked.  They seem to have too much fullness in the nipple/areola complex area.  Now I'm wondering......did you have NS?  If so, that might explain it.  Even though I tried them before my nips, the shape of my foobs haven't changed, so I'm still pretty sure they wouldn't work for me. 

Gosh......I don't have a blue bra......yet.....Wink

• val61

Anybody need a black strapless bra, size 32DD?  I bought this one last December in one of those "holiday event emergency" situations, and it's too big around....I kept pulling it up all night.  

http://www.herroom.com/Fantasie-4530-Smoothing-Seamless-Strapless-Bra.shtml?cm_mmc=google-_-her-_-fantasie-_-&brand=Fantasie&sku=4530&kwid=02368c4fd7ff44ada190a953ecf6c470&gclid=COTdnZ6HjKQCFcHs7QodMRkhIg

If so, PM me and we can make a deal.....Smile 

• Estel

Jerusha - I didn't know that insurance companies for 'normal' bras either.  Thank you!

val61 - hmmm.  I didn't have NSM. Today is the first day I'm going to wear the Panache bra all day.  That is the true test.  We'll see if I still like at the end of the day.  It fits me perfectly, no room at the tip for nipples, it literally fits like a glove.  The potential danger that I see with it is I think the wires are a little narrower at the sternum than the Wacoal bras I have ... I don't think they're pressing medially on the implant, but we'll see at the end of the day.

re the bendon bra ... girl, I'm not that coordinated!  :)  In my former life I was a runner and one of the reasons was I had terrible eye hand coordination.  Forget playing sports with a ball ... getting my feet and my hands to work together was a bit of a nightmare.  I'll try again with another size, but I'm a little concerned to say the least.  Guess I'd find out who my friends are at the gym when I have to ask them for help to get me in that thing!  Wink

Thanks for your help! 

• val61

Hahahaha, Dawne!  Actually, you can configure the straps like a regular bra.  X-ing them just gives you better support.

Another great bra - that incidentally is WIRELESS - is the Tata Tamer Bra by Lululemon.  I think it runs a smidge small in the band.  I tried both the 32D and 32DD and bought the DD.  I think it's a bit big in the cups -the edge comes a bit high on my armpit - but the D didn't cover the foobs, especially my scars, so obviously no support there.  I usually wear it for Pilates rather than aerobics, but I did teach in it once and the girls stayed almost as stable as in my Bendon Max Out.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

I bought a few Moving Comfort bras and wanted to share my favorite with you guys.  I really like the Daylite bra:

http://www.freshpair.com/Moving-Comfort-DayLite-Low-Impact-Sports-Bra-716220.html

I also bought the Alexis bra. It is a pull-over style but has molded cups and lateral support.

For sleeping, I've been wearing this one by Hanes:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-cotton-front-close-sports/dp/B000K1QWAQ

I bought all of these on ebay and seem to be a 32/34 B/C.