Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Jennifer -- LOL and amen to that!  I love that sling.  AND the bod. 

Mantra -- you are so funny with Big Bertha!  Sorry you only found the pink... you COULD try ordering on line from Herroom.com or from Barenecessities.com... I believe their bras are returnable (except for sale items) and that way you could try a few 32 D's and see if you like them... return em if you don't.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    Ok...maybe this is a dumb question, but I dont really have much experience with french lace slingsWink... I'm presuming the little leopard strapless number is just for the catalogue???
  • speech529
    speech529 Member Posts: 148

Contacted my insurance company and found out that they will cover 2 bras up to 90% of cost and they told me to go to Nordstrom!  They call it "durable medical equipment". 

• Lilah

LOL Jerusha OMG I never thought of that!  Ssssteamy.... 

But hey why not wear it either way?

Speech you lucky woman!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    speech529 - Love it ... 'durable medical equipment' ... never thought of bras in that vein of thought, but, whatever it takes!  Speech, go buy some more 'durable medical equipment!'  Wink
  • Jerusha

Lilah, I was thinking that it probably wouldn't go so well with my Marena Sleep Bra. Ha ha

• Lilah

LOL OMG Jerusha! 

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

speech-contacted my insurance company yesterday and they said bras are covered as "durable medical equipment too". I can't go to Nordstroms though because they are not a preferred provider on my plan. I have to go to a mastectomy fitter on my plan and then it is covered at  70%. When figuring the cost it comes out just as cheap to go to a regular store and buy a good bra on sale. Still need to go to Nordstroms just to get sized, may go today.

Whippetmom-where do we but that lace bra? It's simply beautiful.

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

I checked my policy. They had previously covered my mastectomy bras. But now that I will be regular bras, the wording makes me think it won't be covered.

Surgical Bras: These medical supplies/equipment are covered only when ordered by a doctor. Only surgical brassieres required as a result of surgery are eligible for coverage.

My coverage is from SunLife Financial.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Jershua - I think the idea of that contraption - just like our beloved Chic Shaper - is that is provides some lateral support.....pushes the girls up and in, so to speak.....with a bra.....or without...Wink    Though I think it would most definitely add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to your Marena sleep bra......

Mantra - 32D's are VERY hard to find, especially in wireless.  I'd do as Lilah suggested and order from   herroom.com       or       barenecessities.com .      (sorry....my browser doesn't like to let me link sites on BCO.....)    Both have great return policies, though herroom's is only 30 days.  I buy bras with some degree of regularity - surprise, surprise! - from both places and have been very happy with their service.  Good luck!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

I just found a beautiful, sexy (though not wireless :() bra on clearance from Target.  I will post it on the bra thread later today. Black Lace over nude with a nude bow in the center: Gilligan O'Malley 023 10 3133 Vintage Balconette Push Up Bra Black/256120.  Can't find it on line except a similar one in cream/pink.  Must go to another target to get the tre-sexy matching panties!

• Lilah

Nice MBJ!

Sweetie -- that lace sling thing that Whippetmom posted is from Victoria's Secret.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Okay, girls......sorry I started a new obsession!  I had Pilates this morning, so decided to swing by VS since it's just across the street.....alas, the French Lace Sling is not in stores (at least not mine) yet......but the clerk did say they expected it.  Ooh La La here we come!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Mantra- I am also a 32D.  I found some great DKNY bras at Nordstrom's (around $30).  I also found that the Vera Wang underwire bras at Kohl's in the 34C worked for me as well.  I did find quite a few 32D bras at Victoria Secret but they don't seem to be as comfortable as the other kinds I found.

• mantra
    Thanks Kate. We don't have Nordstroms in Ontario but I know there is one close to me in Florida. I can hardly wait to get back to Florida to start trying on the bras. Our trip got delayed until December because of the exchange surgery. Normally we head down much earlier but it worked out okay because I'll be about 8 weeks post op when I get to Florida . . . perfect time to start bra shopping. I'm extremely anxious about having a fitter see my topless, so I might just see what I can manage on my own by trying on different styles and sizes. I think I'll take my sister with me so she can run back and forth and get me different styles and sizes. Of course, my sister has done a major number on her knee so likely she'll be hobbling instead of running . . . but that's okay too! Laughing
  • Lilah

Mantra - you can ask the fitter to step out while you put the bras on.  And step in to see how they fit.  That's what I did.

• mantra

Lilah, so do I tell her that I don't want to be fitted and just ask for her help bringing me bras? That would work . . . I just assumed that the fitter would insist on measuring me otherwise she wouldn't help.

Okay, and here's another insecurity. I can't imagine walking into a VS. Aren't the stores geared towards 20 year olds with 6 pack abs? I was telling my daughter yesterday that if I walk in, they'd probably come up to me and say "are you here looking for your daughter . . . or even worse . . .  granddaugher?"

• Lilah

You can have her measure you IN your bra... and that will be fine.  Your fitter does not need to see you nude to do her job.

I would avoid getting fitted in a VS... too many women here have had really upsetting experiences being fitted by people who were not trained (and who did not suggest the right size).  Also if you are still wearing wirefree, you can skip the store altogether; they only carry wireless bras on line.  Best plan is to get properly fitted in Nordstrom's or a shop that caters to women with BC (like a mastectomy shop) and then you can go anywhere and shop (or shop online) armed with informaton about your size.  Thought of course sizes do vary by bra maker (some you need a bigger or smaller cup and/or a bigger or smaller band).  But once you have been fitted properly and know how a bra is supposed to feel you'll be better at choosing on your own. 

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    Mantra- I agree with Lilah!  Don't try to get fitted at VS.  Most are pretty clueless.  I got fitted at Nordstrom's and the woman I worked with was wonderful.  I made an appointment ahead of time so they could guarantee a fitter who was specially trained to work with MX patients was there.  (Not all of them are.)  She made me feel very comfortable and did offer to step out as Lilah said.  She made me feel so comfortable, though, that I said it wasn't necessary.
  • vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Mantra - When I went to a local bra store near me that sells bras and masectomy supplies the nice lady measured me over my clothes, brought me bras, I opened the door when I had one on and then she came in and adjusted straps etc. to see how it fit, then she would go bring some others and repeat the process - not embarassing at all.  I measured a 33, so she brought 32 D, they didn't fit quite right, so then she brought 34 C and they fit much better.  Of course I would have to be an "odd" band number. 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Mantra:  You could order a bra from Nordstroms now - order in two sizes - and just bring with you and return what does not fit when you go to Florida in December.  We could give you some wireless options if you need wireless. 

• whippetmom

I am just going to have to order that French Sling number for my DH for Christmas...Wink

• Jerusha

Deborah, I bet he'll look kinda cute in itSurprised HA HA

To respond to some of the other posts ... the VS located by me does carry several styles of wireless. In fact, they carry the one bra in the world (I've tried nearly all...) that fits me - the new Body By Victoria wireless Plunge. It is cut exactly like a wired bra and supports in the same way, has good lateral support and shapes just like a wired bra under clothes. It has a piece of fabric tightly rolled like a cord in the place where a wire would go.

When I went to Nordies the only actual measurement they took was for band size, and I didnt need to take off my bra.

• Lilah

Ooo nice Jerusha!  I have been to several VS stores in my area and they did not have any wireless... you are lucky! 

Deborah -- nice gift!  :)

• whippetmom

Jerusha!  Oh that is a priceless picture you painted for me!  Scary...but priceless! 

• mantra

Vmudrow; we have a mastectomy bra store. I went their and bought my bras when I had my first mastectomy. She is very nice but I thought that they only sold mastectomy bras (with pockets). Maybe a larger store might sell both  . . . I live in a small town.

Whippetmom, It takes FOREVER to get stuff shipped here. If they put it in the mail and do not attach a declaration,  than usually it takes a couple of weeks. But if they attach a customs declaration (which is the right way to do it), it gets caught up in customs and the charges for the custom broker to clear the item are usually almost as much as the item itself.  And, I've had stuff take a very long time to clear customs. That said, I would love some bra suggestions so I can buy them when I get Stateside. I also think that perhaps the PS might have some different bra rules for me than she did this week. I see her in a month and she said depending on what's happening with me, she will tell me what I can and cannot wear. I was actually surprised she said no sports bras for now.

So in the meantime, I wearing my PINK (yuck) bra. It seems to follow along with her restrictions; no pushing, pulling or squeezing so I'm trying to find it in other colours.  . .  black or a cream/taupe/tan would be perfect.  DH thinks pink is feminine. I told him he can wear it any time he wants. Gawd, I sincerely hope he doesn't take me up on that offer!!

• Lilah

Mantra -- do you have access to Ebay in Canada (and maybe can buy from Canadians so that you don't have to deal with customs?)  If so, since you know what exact bra you want, etc... it might be worth seeing if any are selling it new on Ebay... a lot of ladies here have success getting new bras that way.

BTW -- post a picture of the pink bra on my bra thread on the other site!  I wanna see it :)  I'll bet it's nice!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Deborah:  LOL!  I never thought I would ever ask for a bra sling, but there you have it.  Lust.

Jerusha:  I love my body by VS Plunge bra--you are right--works just like a wire bra without.  Cleavage!!!

Lilah:  They didn't have much in my area in the way of wireless at VS either. 

• mantra

Okay Lilah, I've posted the pink bra on the other site. Remember that my screen name over there is Fore. I still have no idea why I did that. Wonder if I can change it?

I will look into Ebay. Pinky, (the bra that replaced Big Bertha) is apparently only available at the store I bought it at. But I will search Ebay and see if one has found itself online by chance.

• Lilah

LOL Mantra -- I love the way you name them.  If this one is Pinky, will the next one be the Brain? 

Edit: just went over and checked out the new bra!  It's adorable!  It looks like a lot of bras I've seen so you ought to be able to find others like it in a color you like more.  What is the brand/style?  (And LOVE the cleavage :)