Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

BTW, if anyone knows where I can find the Elements of Bliss bra in a 34 D, let me know. In Canada, the style number is 2003 and as Val said above, she thinks in the US it's 1003.

• mantra

I checked those sites but the 2003 doesn't seem to come in a 34D.  I never actually checked the other styles to see if they come in a 34D. I don't know how the other ones will feel so I'm hesitant to order online. It's funny that the Element of Bliss comes in so many styles. Here, it comes in one style  . . .#2003 and that's it. Take it or leave it. I guess Warner's doesn't feel Canadians are mature enough to give us choices.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

the 1003 does come in 34D on the above links.  the amazon website link isn't working, but if you use it and then search for 'warners 1003' or whatever style #, it pops up and they do have 34D.

• tory
    tory Member Posts: 85

Mantra - Canadians are too polite to actually choose one thing over another in case the unchosen one is offended, so it's better to just have one. Smile 

My DH is from Ontario...and my in-laws winter in Florida too!

• mantra

Yep, apparently we are too polite. I was once working with a consultant from New York who had to fly to Toronto to spend a month at my company. We became good friends. She said in New York, when 4 cars arrive at a 4 way stop, every one just floors it and screams out the window or gives the finger to the other drivers. In Toronto, she said she couldn't believe it. All cars stay put and each one is politely waving on and mouthing to the other drivers "no, you go ahead." No you go ahead." She said all the overly polite drivers were enough to drive her around the bend.

Diagnosis: 7/10/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

LOL!!! 

(said the Boston-trained driver who now drives in NY like a NY Taxi driver)

• tory

LOL! I think it's nice, though.

• mantra

I was in a NY taxi ONCE!! I'd rather walk, bike or go on horseback than ever do that again. I made my husband tell the driver to either slow down or let me out. He was not too polite about it but he at least stopped passing people on the wrong side of the street and making a lane where none really existed. I imagine their driving tests are the complete opposite of ours. Agressive = you pass!!

• mantra

okay,back to the real topic on hand. Several people have said the Element of Bliss was recommended post exchange. Can you tell me which style number you were recommended. As mentioned, they only sell #2003 here so that's the only one I've tried on. I still need something light that doesn't pull, push or squeeze. What other Elements of Bliss fits that bill?

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Mantra-your too funny naming your bras! Mine isn't pink but it's some sort of animal print. It was all they had and I brought two of  the same on clearance at TJ Maxx's for $7.50 each! They retail for $30. The style I got was 2002 in a 36B and  there is a T-shirt bra in 2003 which was too big on me and style 1012 comes in a racer back front close. I know there are a few more styles too that I saw online and at the store. They are sold online at Kohls and  JC Penny but not sure how big they go up to.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Mantra - I got Warner's Invisible Blis style #2055 in a 34 C - they might have 34 D - It is invisible under t-shirts and wire-free.

• mantra

I spent the better part of the day trying on bras. And many hours later, I walked out of the stores with not one single bra. My question is, when you are wearing a bra (not a cleavage enhancing one), does it still push your implants together. I would try on a bra, sit in change room for a few moments, remove the bra and I noticed my implants touching. A deep breath later and a back rolling of the shoulders and they are back in place. Is this normal? Does everyone's do this?

Also my swelling is starting to subside and now I think I see some loose skin and I am very aggravated. I warned DH he doesn't want to be anywhere near me tonight. He's taken my advice and has retreated to the man-cave.  

And well I'm on a rant . . . why don't PS make our implants a size that is bra-friendly. Finding a 32 D is impossible. Finding a 34 D is impossible. Don't they get that. If my ribcage is 30, wouldn't logic make the PS use an implant to make me a B. I told her from day one I wanted to be a B. Instead I have a ribcage that doesn't match with common cup sizes.

And to continue my rant . . . I'm really in a crappy mood and you're so fortunate not to actually have to be here . . . . tomorrow is Halloween and I've just tried to drown my sorrow in chocolate and feel sick. Who in their right mind buys a box of 95 mini bars before the actual day where I am forced to eat them. Okay, not forced but it's my duty to make sure they are safe for the neighbourhood children.

I need a stiff drink and maybe a side of happy pills.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Mantra:  I find that most stores are out of bras in my size and I must order on line!  You can always call larger dept. stores and ask for your size and have them hold them for you to try on.  I had pretty good luck at Kohls and TJ Max--I even found my size at Target.  First time I went, though, I found nothing but a sports bra, so I feel for you.  VS wireless worked for me until I figured out my sizes (34DD or 36 C or D).  It's just that implants are wider--not sure why. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

VaI, I  have been a faithful follower of this thread since my exchange on August 25.  My plastic surgeon gave me 650 cc implants in allergan style 45.  I have been fitted both at a mastectomy shop and at Victoria Secret. The mastectomy shop said I was a 34B and I bought 2 amoena bras there. I believe they are both way too small. VS measured me as a 34D and those bras fit ok. I do not have a Nordstrum's close by and after reading this thread believe I am not in the correct size bra at all. My band measurement is 28. With my wireless,non-padded Bali Spa Closure bra(in 34D from the tissue expander days) my bust measurement is 36". Can you please give me some guidance because I would really love to buy some smaller band size bras while this sale is going on. Thanks immensely:)

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

http://www.herroom.com/measure-bra-size-with-implants,904,30.html

Cleo - check out the link above, though you may have to copy and paste since my Firefox browser doesn't let me link on this site.....guess we bc girls are a big potential security threat or something....  I recently found it - it's about how to measure with implants - and I tried it and it works.  It takes into consideration that implants are wider than natural breasts, which throws off the whole measuring technique by comparing ribcage and upper chest measurments.  With a 28 size ribcage (which is a tad smaller than mine @ 28.5), you should wear a 30 band size.  In no way can I possibly imagine on this planet that you are a 34 B!  I'm guessing that with those implants you're quite likely a 30E or F.  Granted, implant sizes don't translate between people very well - my 425cc make me a 30DD, but they might make you a 30C - so it's hard to guess.  I'm just thinking that perhaps you're a bit wider across the front than I am, and consequently quite narrow front to back, thus requiring a wider/fuller implant to get the same result that I have.  Does that make sense at all?    Just try the measuring technique and let me know what you think.   

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Cleo - I just reread your post and realized you have style 45.  That's why your implants are larger - they require more volume to get the width you need.  They're 13.2 cm in width, so perhaps my theory on your ribcage is indeed correct.  You'll just have a good bit of upper pole fullness that many don't have, which is really good.  Let me know how it turns out.

• tory

Thanks for posting that, Val! It's nice to know that someone has figured out that implants are different. And it cracks me up that they have "bullet proof" bras.

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Mantra-I feel your pain. I too spent many hours in several stores to no avail.  Then  I ordered two seperate shipments of bras from Kohls, like 20 or more and I think 2 of them fit. I don't like the fabrics, the style, the thickness, nothing seems right. I want something thinner that gives the right about of lateral support. In your case since you have the gummies you probably don't want anything that would push them in or up. I think something that stretches or conforms to your body may work. Finding the right sizes does seem to be a pain. At this point I think I'm going to live in my sports bra!

I'm up for the chocolate today too. We got an excuse it's Halloween and there will be all that extra candy!

• Lilah

Mantra -- Hugs!!!  Sorry you had such a bad time.  I had a similar experience when I first started shopping for bras... nothing I found seemed to fit comfortably.  Part of it was it being only 2 - 3 weeks post exchange and I was still swollen some and also sore.  But I WAS able to figure out my size and that helped; got some soft bras from on line... then about 5 weeks post exchange I found a place called Bra Smyth. A store that sells nothing but bras.  They had a big selection of wire free and I found two bras I liked in my size.  38D is probably easier to find but wire free is NOT... and as MBJ suggested you may need to order things on line (or wait till you are in Florida and can shop at Nordstrom's). 

• MBJ

Val:  Thank you so much for that link! You should add it at the top of this topic page!

• mantra

Thank you for that link. According to the chart, I am a 34 "Full B".  I'm not sure what a full B means?

When I had a single mastectomy, I bought these nipple cover things. They are sort of rubbery feeling and they just stick right to your skin. Perhaps I may have to start using them again when I get my new nipples.

Sweetie, I think it was you who wrote a week or so ago about about a horrible bra shopping day and when I got home yesterday, I immediately thought about that.

Lilah, Have you found bras that don't push the gummies together? The only bra that seems to keep them where they should be is Big Bertha . ..  and I really can't imagine having Big Bertha as my bosom buddy forever!

BTW - It's Halloween AND SNOWING!! WTF??!! DH is outside raking leaves in the snow.

• Lilah

Mantra -- I only have one gummy and quite frankly nothing much pushes it :)  It moves a little but it's not going anywhere.  That said, a bra that fits properly will fit snugly AROUND the implant and should not push (unless, I guess, a push-up bra).   I have a Chantelle, an Anita and a Wacoal that I wear a LOT (on page one of my bra thread on the picture forum if you want to see them).  I think the Anita bra is especially comfy (though NOT terribly sexy lol). 

The snow is just to make you glad you are going to Florida soon :)

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Thanks, Val. Going to try the site right now!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Mantra:  Wait until you get stateside.  In Florida you will find a number of Marshalls stores and T.J. Maxx stores and they always have the high end bras for often more than half off...and they always have a supply of 34 Ds and DDs in stock.  It is hit and miss in some stores, so you have to check back often - they get in shipments weekly.

http://www1.marshallsonline.com/tjx/search_results_state.aspx

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

cleo:  I wish you would post your photos...I would love to see what those Style 45's look like in a 650 cc volume on someone with your build.  If the round gummies are not approved in the next five years, that is the style and volume of implant I would choose.

• mantra

Lilah, I went to your thread and looked at the bras you had posted on page 1. Now I see exactly what you're talking about when when you talk about the bra fitting around the implant and not pushing it. I am going to try on the exact same bras and see if they keep my implants separated. I don't think they sell them here and I'm hesitant to order them online until I know what works for me. So I will just have to sit patiently until December. . .  with Big Bertha strapped to my chest. I'm finding even Pinky is squeezing them together yet others are wearing the exact same bras and I imagine they aren't having that problem. So the problem may be MY problem and not the bras problem. I really don't know. Finding this extremely frustrated. I think the implants should come with a list of recommended bras!

Whippetmom, I had DH measure me and according to his measurements, I am 29.5" around the ribcage. He measured across the implant and took two different measurements because we weren't exactly sure where to consider the outside. So he felt where the implant ended and measuring from the centre cleavage, across the centre of the implant,  to the outside of the implant he measured 8 inches. Then he measured from the cleavage, across the implant to where we thought the natural end of the breast area was and came up with 8.5 inches. Looking at the link that Val posted, it say I am a 34 Full B or 34 C. Yet I know you are estimating a D or DD based on my ribcage and actual implant size. There's obviously a missing piece to this puzzle and am just wondering what it is. I'm going to make some calls this week to see if I can find a speciality bra shop in Toronto that has a fitter who is knowledgeable in fitting reconstruction patients. I will also ask if they carry a selection of C and D that aren't underwire.

I really think that the PS should have an aftercare person whose job is to help reconstructive patients find the right bras based on your make and size of implants. JMHO

• Lilah

Mantra -- bring Pinky to your PS's office and ask her (him?) for an opinion about the fit... that should settle the question of whether you're wearing something too snug or not :)  And otherwise yeah it sounds like you will have to wait till December... but that isn't too far away!

Deborah - why do you think a round gummy is more desirable than a teardrop (anatomical) shaped one?

• MBJ

Deborah:  Same qestion as Lilah?

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

just a thought ... the anatomical gummy, isn't there a specific TE for that type?  If you already have a silicone round implant in ... wouldn't there be an issue with the fit? 

hmmm ... good question!

I too, Deborah?  Laughing