Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I had a regular TE for my gummy.

I guess my feeling is -- the only reason I got a gummy was for the anatomical shape in a silicone form (you can also get anatomical saline but did not want saline).  If I was getting a round I'd prefer regular silicone (since it is softer).  So can't get my head around why a round gummy would be more desirable!

But something tells me that Deborah has a very good reason (that I haven't thought of) :)

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Lilah:  Question:  Do the gummies have to be changed out as often as the rounds?

• Lilah

MBJ -- I believe so... yes.  But they don't really know how long that really is... something like 10 - 20 years.  I am pretty sure there is a piece of paper somewhere that only warranties them for 10, though (or is it 15)? 

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Should I stop buying bras until I drop and fluff?  Will they fit different, I like the way the bras are fitting now - and will I be a different size?  It's been 3 weeks since exchange - thanks for any replies. 

• Lilah

I don't think your size will change, Valerie... even with swelling on one side (due to reduction surgery) which has since gone down, my bra size has stayed the same between 3 weeks post-exchange and now (6 months).  I think drop and fluff affects how you look nude :)

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Well, on the lines of what Dawne-Hope was saying...I just know that my pockets are shaped such that I would be concerned about using an anatomical implant. I have a lot of width to my skin flaps.  I have read about the Sientra round form-stable implant and it is going to be softer than the anatomical. I agree with what Grant Stevens, MD says about the use of anatomicals in a patient who has previously had round implants....

PSP: You have recently reviewed and submitted a paper on your experiences with the Type 5 gummy bear implant.

(1) Stevens: My largest series includes approximately a thousand of the form-stable cohesive gel Sientra implants, which are now being reviewed by the FDA. They are not only shaped but they're also rounded. The advantage of the round implant is that we can use it even in patients who have had previous augmentation.

One of the disadvantages of the shaped implant is that if they were to turn that, the ideal shape would be less than ideal because withthe turning of the implant or the rotating of the implant, there's adistortion of the shape of the breast.

There are a lot of women who have had previous implantation with saline breast implants, and they're unhappy with their salines or previous older gel implants. They want to either remove the older gel implants or change the size of their implants. The round cohesive gel orformstable implants from Sientra offer distinct advantages over the shaped implants. 

The shaped form-stable gummy bear implants, such as the 410 and the CPG, are not ideal implants for women who have had previous breast surgery and have already pockets for those previous implants. Those women have pockets which are generally too large to safely accommodatethe shaped form-stable implants. However, the Sientra form-stable silicone gel breast implants, which are round, can be safely placed in these patients."

Deborah

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

makes sense, thank you!

• whippetmom

Mantra:  That Elements of Bliss Style 2003 does not come in a 34 "D".  The EOB Style 1003 comes in a 34 D:

http://www.brasnyc.com/itempage-1003-288-206-376.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/34D-Warners-1003-Elements-Bliss-WIRE-FREE-Bra-NWT-Pink-/310236081048?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&hash=item483b82eb98

[Hope the Ebay link works...]

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

whippetmom--that Anita sports bra you got, do you wear it at night?  Or did you buy it for exercise? 

Dawne-Hope--thanks for the heads up.

Val--thanks for all the info!

• Lilah

Ah thanks Deb!  I believe that how my PS deals with the round TE vs anatomical gummy is that she does a capsulectomy at exchange...so the TE is used only to stretch the muscle and then when the anatomical goes in it makes a new pocket in the void (and since it is there for a short time the shape adjusts).  Also, given that it is textured, the risk of the gummy turning is very small.  For women who have had rounds for a long time, though, and who do not want to go through a new TE process... an exchange to a round gummy sounds good! 

• happymom8285

Ok.  Went to barenecessities website.  I'm now a lot poorer!!!  Bought 3 new bras.  2 32D's and 1 30DD.  Will see how they fit.  Though poorer, I am excited.  DH might not be...but I think he'll perk up when he sees how great I look!  hehe

Dawn-Hope, ALL your fault. Laughing

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Val, thank you for that wonderful website. I agree that it should be part of the heading on this site. Now, according to the site, I measured 28" around the band and it suggest adding 4 incles which makes me a 32. You had suggested 30". The breast mound was 10" which suggested 32DD for me as a bra size. I ordered one panache bra and look forward to my fitting! I was afraid to spend more if the sizing was incorrect. I'm so glad to see so many small sizes on there.

Deborah, I am  thrilled to hear you are considering the 45's in 650cc's. I have been waiting for them to settle and will send pictures when I have time to take some. I will probably e-mail them to you since I am soooooo untechnologically savvy!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    cleo - there are two different "camps" so to speak, when it comes to ribcage : band size determination. In my experience (such that it is) and according to my PS, the ideal band is no more than two inches larger than your ribcage. Four inches tends to give you a great deal of "play" in the band - read back a couple of pages where I described how tight the band should be - and that's not a good thing when it comes to support. I'd err on the side of smaller - though just be prepared 'cause it's gonna be pretty darn snug to start with.
  • val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Ladies, esp. Mantra:    In regards to the Herroom "measuring w/ implants" technique:   I tried it and it's close, but measures a bit small for me.  I measure 8.75" across the implant, which according to them is a 32 "full C".   BTW:  A 'full" cup is a term used by PS's a lot, but essentially means "very close to the next cup size" in translation; it also tends to imply more upper pole fullness.  Now, there is no way that I could squeeze (even if they did squeeze, which they really don't!) these puppies into a 32C bra. Translating that to my 30 band size, would suggest for me a 30D, which is about one cup size too small - two sizes in some bras.  So....as with all these fit suggestions, this is a great start - better than we had before - but still off a bit.  If only I were a mathematician and could come up with the perfect "fit matrix!"   Any takers on that?

• Estel
    Val61 - Yes indeed on the 'fit matrix.'  It's so frustrating, isn't it?!  The link measured me as a 32C.  Only in the LyMystere bras have I fit into a 32C post-exchange.  I need more width in most bras than what a c cup offers. 
  • Estel

happymom8285 - Glad I could help!  Laughing

No worries b/c I ordered 5!  eeekkk!  Embarassed  But I ordered two of the same style in 2 different sizes so I could return the one that didn't fit.  So, essentially it was 'only' four!  But, but, but I couldn't help it because most of the ones they had on sale were ones that Val61 & whippetmom had recommended.  So, essentially I've done myself a favor by buying them on sale, right?! 

I only wish ...  Wink

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Deborah:  Would the softer gummy rounds soft enough to work in a push up bra?  Just curious as I figured that is the route I would go when it's time to exchange them for new ones.  Love my new cleavage and do not want to lose that!

• vmudrow

Val and Deborah - Now I'm getting confused.  I thought a 32 D and a 34 C are basically the same size, mentioned this to the PS, and he says I am not a D - that cup would be too wide, any ideas?  Also he said to wear a underwire bra when exercising - does that sound right? and a non underwire to sleep in if I want - but to always wear a bra!!  I am headed to Noordstrom on Wednesday...

• whippetmom

Dee:  The Anita sports bra is for exercise only - because I put it on at night when I got it, thinking I would try to sleep in it and it was uncomfortable.  What I find to be most comfortable for me at night are front close sports bras or Champion pullover/step-into sports bras. 

• whippetmom
    MBJ:  I presume so, but everyone is a different case.  I think they would be for me, because I have plenty of skin and my implants are extremely soft and pliable currently. I could use a little firmness. I would need to see the consistency of the Sientra round though - feel it and see it.  I also think about switching to the Allergan Style 45 first - and so I could be getting those Sientra rounds at the age of 72.  Sounds pretty funny doesn't it? Boo hoo....it is hard growing old!  So many implants and so little time....Wink
  • whippetmom

Valerie: What plastic surgeons do NOT know about bras is astounding!  A "D" cup in a 32 band is different than a "D" cup in a 34 band bra.  So you have not been fitted at Nordstroms yet?  Valerie - if you post photos on the pictures forum, Val and I could take a pretty good guess regarding what size you would be wearing....

• whippetmom

Oh...and Valerie....you are fine buying bras at this point.  The size is not going to change....

• Lilah

LOL Deborah -- so many implants, so little time...

• vmudrow

THanks Deborah - I will try to get my DH to post pictures for me as I am not computer savy.

• happymom8285

Deborah, I'm laughing too.......

• happymom8285

Dawn-Hope, you are not helping!  Bad girl!!  Wink

Here's to new bras!Laughing

• whippetmom

Mantra/Canadian women:

Great article about buying bras from http://www.figleaves.com/ - they ship free to Canada and returns are free also....

http://www.canada.com/lifestyle/style/story.html?id=9c619554-9b8a-4791-b70a-df1839dce557

Here are two websites which carry the bras we discuss on this thread.  They carry Chantelle, Freya and others....

http://www.codedesir.com/

This one is in Toronto:

http://www.braboutique.com/pages/default.htm

Natori is sold at a number of stores throughout Canada - mostly Holt Renfrew but some independent lingerie stores:

http://www.natori.com/StoreLocator.aspx

I hope this gives you some options for bra shopping!

Deborah

• whippetmom

Freshpair's website re: shipping...bottom of page, states:

Canada - US Postal Service First Class Mail International - FREE for orders over $50
    We will ship your order via the US Postal Service First Class Mail International. Orders of in-stock items received by 2pm EST are shipped same day, excluding weekends and holidays. Orders received after 2pm EST are shipped on the next business day. Standard delivery times are 10-20 business days

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189
    Deborah . . . it's a small world. The place in Toronto is one of the stores my MIL told DH to take me. We actually drove to it last Saturday and I refused to get out of the car because I was in a terrible mood after spending the better part of the day trying (unsuccessfully) to find a bra. I'm going to call them to find out more about their expertise with post reconstruction patients. My MIL had a mastectomy many years ago but never had reconstruction. Always listen to your MIL Laughing  
  • Lilah

LOL Mantra