Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

So strange that VS carries different bras in different cities.  No wireless in mine, either.  The clueless girl at VS told me they didn't make them anymore.  She didn't even know enough to tell me to check online.  I'm going to go check out the wireless plunge!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

LOL Kate

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

Got my 2 VS bras in the mail.  Classic Satin Emb. Plunge.  I like them.  Especially cuz they were on sale!!  Will post pics on the bra page.

• Lilah

Woohooo!

• happymom8285

Mantra, do not get fitted at VS.  They're clueless!!  And, yes, you can shop there.  It's not just for the young'uns!  Take several sizes in the fitting room with you and try them on. 

Very difficult to find 32D's here, too.

Lovin' that sling!  :)

• happymom8285

Mantra--Saw your pretty pink bra!  I think you look great.  They're nicely spaced, not too far, not to close.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

FYI:  French Lace Sling backordered for another week or two.....Frown

Jershua - thanks for sharing the tip on the VS wireless plunge bra! 

Bra-loving newbies:  did you know that the primary source of support from the bra comes from the band?  The structure of the cup provides the next largest source of support, and the straps follow with the final 10-20% of support.  For that reason, it's VERY important that you get the correct band size.  It should be snug.  Have a friend put her hand between your back and the center of bra strap, with her hand turned sideways (palm facing side, not toward your back or the bra). That is the correct amount of "play" that the band should have.  If she can pull her hand away from touching your back (pulling the band away, too), then your band is too big.  Check your bras, ladies!   This happens all the time!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Since Kohl's was having a sale I tried on fifty bras - left with one sports bra.  It is kind of nice to know my size 34 C and they actually fit.

I got a card from Noordstrom for their half yearly sale that starts Nov. 3rd - do you think they will have bras on sale?

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Yes Valerie, they always have bras on sale.  I bought a couple of Freya bras on sale last year at the Nordies half/yearly - very pretty bras. 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

I just received my Anita 5527 sports bra.  I bought it on Ebay and it came new, in the box, complete with all of the tags, for $34.00 and free shipping.  It retails for $66.00.  It is very comfortable - very supportive [good lateral support], fits true to size, and is wireless to boot!  This style gets excellent reviews on http://www.herroom.com/

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

whippetmom- And it's super cute, too!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

whippetmom - thanks!  gotta love e-bay!  i'll add that one to my list of ones I want to check out!  :)

• val61
    I've said it before, but this time I REALLY must try e-bay!      Deborah - did you buy the same size that you do for other Anita's?  You know me.....I'm an underwire girl (except for my Lululemon "TaTaTamer" bra).......and I really prefer straps that can cross.......but I'm always on the hunt for good sports bras!
  • val61
    Just realized my earlier post had the remnants of something I was going to copy and paste, but then just rewrote......hope y'all don't think I was losing it.....Smile
  • sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Val-thanks for sharing the information about the structure of a good bra. I struggle with band size. I want to wear a 36. I have always worn a 36, but was measured as a 34. The 34 feels like it is digging in me and by the end of the day I just can't stand it, it really is NOT comfortable. Do you think it wrong to wear the 36 when I am measured a 34. I can always adjust the 36 by going in on the back tabs. The other thing is I have always worn underwires. I like them but my Dr said no right now, 3 weeks post op. In the long term is it ok to wear wires again or is that up to the individual Dr's orders.

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

Sweetie, I have a 30 ribcage which means I'm supposed to wear a 32 band. That said, when I went bra shopping the 32 only came in a B cup so I went with a 34 band. It feels quite comfy and doesn't seem big. As for the wires, my PS said 3 weeks post op is too early. She said who is allowed to wear depends on the patient. She said some time down the road, she will see how much feeling I have in the area where the wire would run across my body. She explained that it's not to do with worrying about the wire poking out since that normally won't happen in a good bra. She explained it this way "you know sometimes you are wearing an underwire bra and it is riding up a bit so you pull it back down. If you don't have feeling in the area, you won't realize it is riding up and the wire will run just along the bottom of the implant pushing on it. So she pointed to the outer, bottom corner of my implant and said if I have feeling there, then wired bras are okay. But again she repeated its way to early. Apparently she does the test because she had to make sure you actually are feeling something and not just feeling movement or sensing that you have feeling. I'm quite sure I have feeling in that area so I can forsee underwire in my future.

• val61

Sweetie- I SOOOO understand what you're talking about!  As you may have picked up from our discussions here,  my PS is a HUGE bra proponent, so I was wearing a  VERY tight underwire bra 24/7 from the time I got my drains out post-exchange.  Let me just tell you, it took a long time for me to get used to the snugness - I'm talking two-three months.....especially toward the end of the day, I'd just unhook my bra for just a few moments just to get relief.....and yes, there were red marks around my chest.....you can probably even see them in some of my pics on the forum.  However, magically one day, I realized I'd made it through the entire day (and night)  without feeling uncomfortable.  That day does come....partly because the bras naturally stretch over time (which they're supposed to do - you just need to know when they've stretched too far and replace them).....and partly because you just get used to wearing the band snuggly.  Honestly, I'm not comfortable unless my bra is snug......I have a couple 32's that I bought that I bring out occasionally, and I end up changing them after an hour or so 'cause they just don't feel right. 

As for your underwire question, I'd follow whatever your PS recommends.  There are a few PS's who are like mine and insist on underwires immediately after exchange, some that say wait a few weeks or months, and others that say never.  Just make sure that whatever you're wearing for the first 3-4 months post-exchange provides enough support so that there's little to no implant movement.  You want the scar tissue around the capsule to heal in the correct place.  

Feel free to PM me if you need more specific info....always happy to share my thoughts....

• val61

I guess mantra and I were posting at the same time....Smile

Very interesting what your PS said, mantra......   Just perfectly illustrates how we need to listen to whatever our personal PS's want us to do.....

I will add, though, being the bra queen that I am....Kiss.....that a correctly fitted underwire bra really shouldn't ride up.....

• Diva
    Diva Member Posts: 14

After seeing this thread, I decided to pull out my bras which have been in storage since my surgery last year June and wear them.  WOW, the implants look gorgeous in a bra.  They just swelled up so much and I love it.  I remember telling my PS that maybe I might want another surgery to get a bigger size implant, but all I needed to do was put on a bra.  Glad I came across this thread, as my PS was one of the ones that said that I don't need to wear one anymore after having reconstruction.

• mantra
    It's interesting how so many people prefer going braless. I grew up in the "burn the bra . . . but let's get high first" days. While all my friends were jumping on the bra-less band wagon, this hippy chic was never going to give up the bra. I like wearing something lacey. Maybe after I find some nice lacey bras at Nordstroms, I'll toss PINKY and BIG BERTHA into the bonfire. Actually, I'm still wearing Big Bertha at night. I honestly can't remember if my PS told me I had to sleep in a bra so I'm sleeping in it just incase. Tres sexy! All I have to do is throw a pair of sweat socks into the mix and I'll be one sexy mama Laughing
  • Lilah

LOL Mantra

• Estel

Hey small band size ladies ... barenecessities is having a sale!  Chantelle, Fantasie, the Fantasie Elodie which has good lateral support is on sale 20% off ... all of them in size 30,32 band.  It's only until November 1st ... just found it and wanted to let you all know!

http://www.barenecessities.com/catalog.aspx?nxs=75&size=897

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Dawnehope: Thank you for feeding my new addiction!

• mantra

As someone on this board suggested, I went to a mastectomy store to see if they carried post implant bras. I was surprised to find that they carried two. I posted photos . . . although now I'm thinking I posted them on  my own thread again so I'm going to go back and post them on the bra thread. I posted some concerns and opinions are welcome.

• Estel

MBJ - Anytime, sister!  :)  Have to keep everyone up on the deals!  Laughing 

BTW - the sale at barenecessities is for any size band, but I'm finding that rarely do the smaller band sizes go on sale and when they do, they're gone quickly.  So ... check them out ladies!

• Estel

Mantra - I posted on the picture forum, you're FORE, right?  If so, they do look a little big on you.  What you need right now is support and it doesn't look like those bras are supporting you well enough.  I'm new at this bra thing, though ... so let's let the experts weigh in!  :)

• mantra

Okay, I went back to the mastectomy bra shop but this time saw a fitter. She said the bras I bought were too big (You were right!!). I've posted the new bras in the bra thread on the other site. Gee, this is just like shopping with your girlfriends except you can't go out for coffee when you're all done!

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Mantra and Val thank you for the great info and advice. I did order one underwire and it fit so nice, but I will set that aside for now. I am going to try to listen to you Val about the band, although I'm very stubborn! I tried on dozens of bras and ordered some online and I finally found a few that fit and supported me. They were by Warner's and are wire free called Elements of Bliss. It is very lightly lined but very supportive. Not all that fancy looking but good under T-shirts. I also got some great champion sports bras which I will sleep in to keep the puppies close together at night. For now I'm not going to go overboard with the bras because I'm only three weeks out from surgery and things may change. I'm not used to the new me yet and I feel sort of "misplaced" and not like myself. I have to find the new me and get used to her. The old me used to wear tank tops and fit in any ole 36B on the small side.

• mantra

Sweetie . .  PINKY  . . . my pink bra that I posted on my thread is Elements of Bliss too! I could not find it in a D cup and the C cup doesn't fit right but I bought it regardless until I could find something else.

• val61

Mantra - I checked out your pics and posted on the pic forum.  Glad you went back to the store!

Sweetie - We're all a bit stubborn about something, aren't we?   The Elements of Bliss bra is perfect!  My PS uses that one (style 1003, if I remember correctly) - unlined - after the drains come out until you get fitted in the underwire. It really is very supportive and soft, so it's great for right now.  Good job!