Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Hi Ladies-while returning something at the mall I stopped in Nordstroms. The lady had two women ahead of me but agreed to measure me quickly but couldn't help me find bras without an appt. Anyway she measured me at a 34DD or a 32DDD. I was wearing a 36C which she said was giving me no support at all and riding up my back. I didn't buy anything because there was absolutely nothing on sale. Wow, I didn't realize how expensive they were over there!! They did have some clearance bras I wanted to try on but she was no where to be found after she measured me and the dressing rooms were locked. I didn't have time to wait so I figured I'd come back.  I may have a revision early next year so I don't want to invest in anything to expensive right now because then it might not fit. I will go back though when I have time and try a bunch on.

MY560sel-you can also sell clothes on craigslist. Acct and Listing is free and ppl can pick them up from you if they are local.

• funsizejen
    funsizejen Member Posts: 10

Hi ladies!  I haven't posted here, but am a faithful student of the bra gurus!  I wanted to share a find for those of us who for whatever reason aren't able to use underwire bras.  The Lunaire Versailles wireless 13214 is supportive, has no padding, and fits over my foobs with no wrinkling!  Best of all, it's only $32 and comes in my hard-to-find size (32d).  I'm a little envious of all the gorgeous underwire bras out there, but this one will do for now.  Hope this helps someone!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Thank you funsizejen!  It will help someone!  Thank you! 
  • val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Thanks so much for the info, Jen!  Lunaire bras are sold at many major dept stores like Macy's and Dillard's, and I've also seen them at TJMaxx and Marshalls, if you luck out and they have your size....which sadly is probably not the case for you w/ 32D......I almost NEVER see those at the discount places Frown

Sweetie - you were smart to stop in to Nordie's even if they didn't have time to do more than just measure you, as it sounds like the fitter got you started in the right direction!  Yep, when the band is too big and rides of the back, it offers no support to the foobs.  Do make an appt, though, so you can have the fitter check out various styles and see what works best for you.  Don't feel obligated to buy.....though speaking as someone who works retail occasionally I'm sure they'd appreciate if you even bought one bra......then check online for sales and on ebay.  Good bras are expensive for a reason; their construction is generally more highly "engineered" and their materials are better quality.  Consequenly they'll last a LOT longer than inexpensive bras, especially if you take care of them (hand wash only.)  My bras that I've honestly lived in - my Pollyannas  - still look like new, though I must admit the band has stretched out a good bit.  That's where you'll see the first sign that it's time to replace - when the tightest hook isn't snug anymore.     

Tip of the day:  don't wear the same bra two days in a row, especially if you're wearing them 24/7.  The elastic in the band and straps can benefit from a day of rest - sort of like our muscles - which will allow it to reshape.  Kinda like your jeans return to their old shape if you hang them up for a day after wearing them.....

• janleigh
    janleigh Member Posts: 20

Funsizejen - That Lunaire was a good bra for me too; it was the first one I bought after my exchange. It is very comfortable and supportive. I found it at Dillards which is my go to store since I'm 4 hours from the nearest Nordstrom. 

Unfortunately Dillards here doesn't have a wide selection of brands and few of the ones suggested here. They didn't have a clue about how to fit me. I knew from reading the guidelines here (bless you ladies!) what to look for. I've since been fitted at Nordstrom's and can't say enough good things about them! Now I feel confident when I try on a new style. I've become a huge ebay shopper...just hope I'm not bidding against any of you! LOL I'm trying not to buy too much because my PS says a revision will be in my future. I will see what he proposes after the first of the year.

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Val- your so right usually you do get what you pay for. I'm just worried to invest now since I may have  a revsion in Jan. However I will save my Christmas money for new bras either way. Thanks for the tip on giving our bras a rest. I'm guilty as charged! I think we tend to want to grab the one that is most comfortable. In that case it is better to have two of the same so you can rotate them than 10 you don't wear.

• suzyqinmiami
    suzyqinmiami Member Posts: 6
    Hey ladies, I was having a problem finding bras that wouldn't reveal my scar. Plus I've been sore and having healing issues from multiple surgeries. Anyway, I found at Sears 'Apostrophe' brand bra top [in the misses section] that is really comfortable. No stiff band, no fastners and it's seamless. You can step into it or pull it over your head and it cuts across the chest more like a camisole; it has breast pockets w/slim pad [I use foam form]; along with adjustable straps it has one of those little hooks on the shoulder strap that makes it instantly into a t-back. They are very affordable with matching undies! Kinda cute and sexy. I bought one in every color ;o) Great under suits or t-shirts. Not best for support but comfy!Wishing you all a speedy recovery!!!!
  • Faythnme
    Faythnme Member Posts: 92

Hi ladies - I had my exchange on Wednesday the 17th.  Had some lipsuction down in the tummy area (not the abdomenal) and I am bit sore.  You never realize how much you use your core until you've had this done.  If it were for the need of fat placement I would not have had lipo.

Now I have a couple of questions for you all if you don't mind.

1. How long did it take for the swelling to go down (regardless of the lipo)?

2. How do you determine what size bra to wear and where is the best place to get them?

It's been 2 years since I have been able to wear a pretty bra and I think it will be important to try so that I can have some sense of feminity if you know what I  mean.

Thanks for listening.

Cindy

• suzyqinmiami
    suzyqinmiami Member Posts: 6

Hi Cindy,

Congratulations on your exchange surgery. Nordstrom's does fittings and speciality shops such as mastectomy or bridal can assist with fitting. Once you get the initial sizing done you'll be able to shop anywhere on your own. I'm not sure about your insurance but mine covered the fitting, 4 bras per year and my post surgical camisoles. The right store will file it on the insurance for you; all you need it your insurance card and a script from your doctor. I used a mastectomy shop near me cleverly named 'A Fitting Experience' and that it was! I bought two bras [one very pretty with matching panties] and got some really nice ones that the insurance paid - it felt like christmas when I left the store and it did bring back some sense of feminity!!!  

Also, if you're still sore you may want to try out the comfy ones I posted about previously at Sears. They're perfect until the swelling goes down because there are no binding elastic bands or hooks or anything. 

Happy Shopping.  

• Faythnme

Thanks Suzy - I went to Nordstrom when I got my prothesis but I didn't realize that they also helped with the fitting once you get your implants.  I have blue cross blue shield so if that is the case I shouldn't have any issues.  I'm sure it will be several months before I even get to that point but it certainly will be fun!!

thanks again and happy thanksgiving!!

Cindy

• val61

Welcome, Cindy and Suzy!  We're so glad you found this thread and are eager to share your bra info with us!

Cindy, Suzy is right about the fittings - Nordstrom is generally highly recommended, as their fitters work a lot with reconstructed customers.  A specialty bra shop is also great, as long as it does mention that it deals with mastectomy customers and isn't just a "fru-fru" lingerie shop.  You definitely want someone who has experience fitting reconstructed gals, as our foobs are just different than natural ones - wider and flatter - so certain bras just don't work.  It helps to make an appointment, too, so you'll be given adequate attention.  Good luck and keep us posted!       

As for the swelling, that's somewhat a personal issue.  I didn't have fat grafting, so can't speak to that, but others have and will hopefully pop in.  I honestly didn't have much swelling, as my PS had me wear ice packs 24/7 for several days, and I think that really helped.  

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Cindy:  I had fat grafting after the exchange and it seems that I purchased my first bra after 2 weeks but it took a month before all of the swelling went down before I felt comfortable enough to buy more bras. 

• val61

MBJ - Looks like you've been busy in the kitchen!  YUM!!!

I just want to wish all of my bra-loving/hating friends a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.  I'm SO thankful for all of you!!

• val61

Okay......I just have to share this with you.....it's just too pretty not to share.....Kiss

http://www.barenecessities.com/La-Perla-Noir-Convertible-Balcony-Underwire-Bra_product_LaPerla904887_,search,.htm 

alas......with a pricetag like that, it will probably be worshipped from afar..... 

• Estel
    Whoa!  What's that thing made of?  And matching undies for $144.  Wheewww!!!  And I thought the Chanelle's were out of my league.  Thanks for sharing!  It is too pretty not to share.  And like you, I will admire it from afar!  Money mouth
  • Estel
    P.S.  Note that you DO get free shipping!  Tongue out
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Val....they don't even have your size, so no worries! Wink  But I will keep my eye out on Ebay....
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

I just read an article about what type of clothing TO wear and what clothing NOT to wear when flying with the new scanning/pat-down requirements. 

WEAR:  Tight clothing...the type of clothing you would not be able to slip a nickle under without detection.  Wink Wear pants, not skirts.  Tight jeans and a form fitting sweater/shirt are good choices. 

DO NOT WEAR: Bulky clothing - long skirts, heavy sweaters, belts with studs, underwire bras. Cry  WHAT?????  No underwire bras???? 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Wow Val that bra IS delicious looking!  And so are those pies MBJ :)

Deborah -- OMG no underwires????  Another assualt to add to the list of personal privacy assaults perpetrated by the TSA!

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

And just when I was feeling good and had resolved myself to never being able to wear an underwire again . . . Deborah has to go and bring up the whole under wire issue again. Geez, I may hold Arabella hostage and you'll never get her back.

Hmmm, I wonder how Arabella flew to Canada since she is nothing but an under wire bra.

Next. Name: Arabella.

Lift your arms. What arms? Oh, sorry ms, you have no arms.

Ummm, shoes? Do I look like I'm wearing shoes!!

Turn. Are you kidding me? How can I turn? I'm a bra. Plain and simple.  What's that? Beautiful? Me? Oh, you handsome young man. Feel free to pat me down any time you'd like.

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

Last year, going through airport security at the airport, there was an elderly couple in front of me. As you may know,  the number one rule is, do exactly what is asked of you. Don't mock. Don't complain. Don't question.

So the security asks the couple to remove their shoes. They bitch but do it. I'm thinking . .. you idiots! So now he has them doing ridiculous things just because he can. Remove your rings. They complained but did it. Remove your socks, jacket and hearing aid. Bitched but did it. The more they bitched the more this guy was going to make their life miserable.

I'm thinking, it's his job to make sure the plane is safe so just do what he asks and stop bitching. Finally, the woman says "you are being petty." Wait for it . . . And here it comes!! Step out of line and bring all your belongings over here.

The last I saw them he had them taking everything apart including a lipstick tube that had the woman in an uproar. She was screaming that they were going to miss their plane. He just smirked and said "that would be a pity but yes, that might just happen." He was so cool and I couldn't help but give him a nod and a smile as I passed. Those people were idiots and he had the authority to make them tap dance. The way they were carrying on, I wonder if they are still there?

• Faythnme

ok, so I see my PS on Wednesday next week (2 weeks post).  I had a sports bra with me last week and asked if I could wear that instead of the one they have me wearing now.  While I am at home it's no big deal.  To go out though it is bulky and I feel like I have to wear everything up to my chin.  Now the sports bra I had she (the assist) it might work but it has to contain everything inside.  I had fat grafting and she doesn't want it digging in around my arm pits.  So my question to anyone is - What is the best full cover bra that I can purchase" or is it a hit a miss and I just have to go try them on?

Thank you.

PS... I hope everyone has had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday! Smile

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you all!  I am so very grateful for all of your advice and help and feel lucky to even be here.  Thank you, each and every one of you.

Val:  Yikes!  I have a friend who once managed the Beverly Hills store for La Perla.  I never once stepped foot inside their door as there is no way I could afford anything in there.  Very pretty though.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - question if you don't mind.  I saw your Bendon exercise bras on the other site and think I am going to try them (the Wacoal's I got are not comfortable at all).  Would I take the same size in the Bendon as I do in the Chantelles?(Which I love).  Do you think I could wear the Chantelles to exercise in or are they not supportive enought? 

Hugs, Valerie

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Just thought I'd share my new bras from SOMA. I got their minimizer underwires and really like the way they fit. (Will try to get some pics and post on pic forum). I showed them to my breast surgeon and she liked the way they fit and liked the bras too. My PS doesn't really like underwires, but that's because he doesn't have to deal with wearing one everyday. I don't like the wirefree as they all seem to roll up and I am continually pulling at the band under my foobs(glad I work with all women). I wear a 40D it is not an easy size to find in the really pretty ones.

Love the LaPerla mentioned above - but who can afford that price. Maybe if I had a nice body, I would wear it as my only top garment. I don't ever spend that on clothes, let alone lingerie. 

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

Val--you are evil, evil!!  LOL  Can't believe the price tag for the panties....they aren't even full panties.  Maybe if they covered my butt.  haha (I don't wear thongs!)  Is there gold dust in the bra??? 

I got my replacement Felina 32DD for the 32D.  Will post pics soon on the pic forum.  It does feel good.  But will let you all decide.

I know it's been discussed before, but I don't feel like going back through all the pages.  I need an inexpensive sports bra to sleep in.  Right now I swap out the bra I was given post exchange and 2 fruit of the looms I bought that close in the front. They're comfortable to sleep in, but not sure they're giving me the support I need. 

I'll also add my 2 cents worth of thankfulness for all you wonderful ladies.  I posted on foobville, but will also say the same thing here.  Altho none of us would choose BC, if it weren't for it, I'd never have "met" such courageous and supportive women.  I truly hope your Thanksgiving was just that:  Thanks-giving.  You all inspire me!  THANK YOU!!

• val61

Happy last day of November, ladies!  Can you believe it'll be December tomorrow?  Sorry....just now returning to my computer after being away for the holiday, then getting my house pulled back together....

Valerie - The Bendon's don't come in 30's, but they're plenty snug around, so I have a 32D in the "Max Out."  The "Action Underwire" runs smaller - the wire didn't fit around my implants - so I have a 32DD in that one.  The "Flex Out"  didn't work at all for me. It has some funky "continuous" underwire that doesn't really do anything - at least for me. My Chantelles (I only have the C-Chic Racerbacks) are 30E, and the bands are much looser than the Bendons.  I wear mine on the middle hooks, and could probably move to the tightest ones - and they haven't seen that much wear.  Hope that helps!

Thank goodness that La Perla bra doesn't come in my size, Deborah......Kiss    Sorry, Dee.....just couldn't resist!

Deliabear - Soma makes some very nice bras, so good for you to find some there!   One thing you might consider, though, if your bras are riding up, is that the band might not be snug enough.....just a thought.....Smile

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Val, I can't believe how fast November flew by!  Great seeing you back!  It does indeed get busy this time of year. 

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - thanks for the info and welcome back!!

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399

Hi everyone! Thanks to this forum, I just found out that my insurance pays for 2 bras a year! You know where I'm going today..............lol !

Terri