Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

with the recent sales at Nordies and BareNecessities I bought matching undies to go with some of the bras I've bought over the last couple of months.  If you haven't do so, it is worth the splurge!  I never knew undies could be so beautiful AND comfie!  Laughing

And it is a boost to a girl's psyche and self-esteem!  Cool

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Which undies are you buying Dawne-Hope?  Maybe I need a shopping spree... 

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

Jerusha, I'm not sure whether gummies need stabilizing. Interesting points. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and it can't hurt. But it would be nice to know for sure. I'll add the question to my list of things to ask my PS when I see her.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

They shouldn't need stabilizing long term due to the textured surface that adheres to the capsule.... but during the healing stage I think a bra IS necessary.  I was required to wear a bra 23/7 for 8 weeks (and so I did) following exchange.  I am sure that was to make sure my gummy stabilized within the pocket correctly (and in the right / desired position, etc).

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339

Lilah, I agree about the initial healing phase. I was talking about later on. Sorry..

• Lilah

No worries Jerusha :)

Oh and Mantra, sad to say: I wore my version of "Bertha" for at least the first 4 weeks... after which I switched to my Chantelle, Wacoal or Anita during the day and Bertha at night.  What was it Deborah called it?  The birth control bra?  I can't remember... it was something hilarious and true.  NOT sexy that bra... but who cares when it's short term?  I haven't worn Bertha since week 8 ended.  Nor do I bother anymore (since week 8) with a bra at night. 

• mantra
    I too am in the 24/7 bra mode. Every night, I haul out Big Bertha The Birth Control Bra and sleep in it. I'm still not happy with any of my day time bras although currently PINKY seems to be getting the most wear time.  It's good to know that stabilizing the gummy girls isn't as important once they've settled in. I just hit the 4 week mark and by 8 weeks, these brand new puppies will be enjoying the sand, surf and sun . . . minus the cabana boy Cry 
  • Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

whippetmom - I bought several chantelle undies; thongs and briefs (3087, 3089, 3583, 3854).  And like the bras they're beautiful!  And amazingly comfortable.  They run a little big, I would go down a size from what you normally wear.  I bought a LyMystere bikini, P465 (that goes with the bra I got on sale) and it is soooooooo comfortable.  I seriously have never worn a more comfortable pair.  The size ran true.

All of them but one of the chantelles I got on sale. 

I think a shopping spree is in order and you can do it guilt-free because they're on sale!  Wink

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

Mantra--I love reading your posts.  Too funny!  But I got the Arabella, or at least ordered it.  It's not here yet.

Ladies, anyone want to buy my 32D b.tempted by Wacoal?  Since it's too small for me.  (It's pictured in the pic forum).  Like a numbskull, I thought it fit and took off the tags.  Now I can't return it and it really is, too small.  PM me if anyone is interested. 

I don't think I will be buying anymore Natori. 

And it looks like I'll have to get my bras online from now on, since the regular dept. stores don't carry my size.  :(

My biggest dream was not to have to wear a bra.  But, alas, I do.  When I take off my bras, I feel the weight of my foobs and I don't like it.  Maybe they'll feel better months down the road, but I know it's only been a couple since my exchange and they'll still settling and healing.  But, it's certainly better than no foobs at all!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Jershua - you make a good point about the gummies.  You, too, Lilah.  It really does make sense.  As for the fit, I know one of the reasons my PS told me he quit using the gummies for the most part is because finding bras to fit them is so hard, so I suspect you are not alone in the fit issue. 

If you ladies with gummies have found specific bras that work well for the weeks immediately post-exchange, let me know and I'll add them to the ever-growing lists on the threader head.  

Mantra - When that Arabella finally reaches you, no more birth-control Big Bertha for you!  That bra is pretty darn sexy......

Happymom - I still feel the weight of my foobs in an uncomfortable way, and they're over a year old now.....though it is probably better when I think about it......maybe two years?

• Lilah

The first two weeks post-exchange with the gummy the only bra I could wear was the Mirena post-surgical bra (a black version of Mantra's Big Bertha I suspect) that my PS gave me.  I was sore all over so it was really best.  After that I found that Chantelle, Wacoal and Anita all made bras that fit me comfortably (38D).  Maybe I just got lucky with the particular size gummy I have but I haven't had a lot of trouble finding bras that fit; I just had trouble finding wire free bras that were pretty.  A different issue.  Really of the three I found the Chantelle is the prettiest looking.  The Wacoal (all lace) is attractive but simple and the Anita is really just a plain bra but it's comfy.  I may have more trouble if/when my PS gives me permission to wear wired bras.  To be honest I haven't even TRIED ON a wired bra since exchange (since MX really).

• mantra

Poor Arabella is going to get to the border, shiver, turn around and hitch hike her way back south.

• MeredithK02
    MeredithK02 Member Posts: 1

Hi ladies,

I'm not a regular poster, but I wanted to jump in and give a big THANK YOU to all of you for posting in this thread!  I had a lat flap with tissue expanders in June and just had the exchange last week.  I wasn't sure whether I'd want or need to wear a bra after the procedure (my PS said I didn't need to), but I wanted the support.  I printed out val61's original post and brought it to Nordies last night.  I got measured and gave the woman helping me the list of suggested bras as a starting off point.  Well, she brought about ten in, and the first I picked was absolutely perfect: Chantelle's Depuis.  I tried a few others on, but the Chantelle really was amazing.  I ended up getting it in two colors plus some cute matching undies.

I was overwhelmed and a little depressed about the idea of going bra shopping post-surgery, and all of your posts and advice helped me get out there to do it, and to walk away a little poorer, but with the perfect bra for me.

Meredith

• happymom8285
    happymom8285 Member Posts: 132

Awwwww Meredith, that's good news.  Happy for you to get some decent bras!

Mantra, you post your Arabella when you get it and I'll post mine!  I don't think yours will head back south.  haha

Oh Val--NOT what I wanted to hear.   Yell Oh well.  The price I pay for my bodacious foobs!  So check back with me after 2 years.  :)  (Not that anything's going to change.)

• whippetmom
    Mantra:  I washed Arabella in cold water, so she was prepared for the trip....Wink  BTW....when you get to Nordies, pick up some lingerie wash which they sell in the bra dept.  It is the best!
  • val61

Welcome, Meredith!  We are SO pleased that our little group provided you with some help.....that's why we started this thread......and that you had a good experience at Nordies!  Keep up posted!

Nordie's lingerie wash IS fabulous, Deborah!  I bought the super-size bottle.....'cause y'all know I have LOTS of bras to wash  Kiss......and it's still going strong after over a year!

Dee - As for the price to pay for our bodacious foobs......let's just not think about all of our beautiful.....and not so beautiful, but functional (can't leave out Big Bertha, now, can I?....bras....$$$$

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Val:  I received the VS French Sling today, and it really does a great job of giving me amazing cleavage!!!  I will post my pics soon, but this thing is amazing.  I am so sorry it didn't work out for you, but I love it!  Thank you so much and I have sent your check and also included your postage. Hot!!!

• Lilah

Woo hoo MBJ!

• whippetmom

This VS French Sling bra is becoming a cult acquisition!  The bid is at $162.50 for this bra on Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORIAS-SECRET-2010-French-Lace-Sling-Bra-Sz-M-NEW-/290499161705?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&hash=item43a3196e69

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399

Deborah...that's amazing!

Edited to add:..Off topic but, I never thought of Ebay, maybe that's where I should be selling all my Ribkoff clothes that I've never worn that don't fit anymore because of my new boobs!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Deborah:  WOW!  LOL!!!  Glad that I was able to purchase it before it became an out of reach item.  Who knew???

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

What a wonderful surprise. Thank you Val and Deborah for suggestions on sizing bras. I bought a Panache bra in 32DD as suggested by the implant chart and Freya Pollyanna in 30E as suggested by Deborah. they both fit snug but perfectly. no more red marks on my boob or body. when i figure out how to post, I will:)

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Help - I finally took pictures of me in my bras - but can't seem to find the bra pictures on the other site - where are they?  Thanks, Valerie

• vmudrow

Val and Deborah -I found the bra pictures and figured out how to post mine.  Can you take a quick look and see if they are a correct fit as I can start wearing underwires on Friday.  I appreciate all your help - the black one is a sports bra.  Thanks you guys!!

Hugs, Valerie

• val61

Valerie - I checked out your bra pics and posted my thoughts.  Let me know what you think....

• val61

Cleo - Hurray for no more red marks!  Glad you found good fits.  Doesn't it make all the difference?

• vmudrow

Val - thanks for the info - I will try to follow your instructions for positioning the implants (makes me laugh as I just threw them on, didn't know it could be such a process).  I have printed out your comments and will make a stop at Noordstrom's (with the bras) on the way to the PS and will try on bigger cup sizes and/or different bras - should I let them see what you suggest?  She gave me 34 C and 32 D to try and the 32 D fit better (the 34 C cups were too big) didn't try the 32 DD at all.  Thanks a bunch, Valerie

• mantra

Professor Val61 - You must have your Phd in bra-e-ology! Just wanted to let you know I found your last post on TimTam to be extremely enlightening. Complete with a photo presentation for those of us who are anything but bra-e-oligists. Now I see exactly what you mean by placement of wires and how they need to fit around the implant. I will definitely be walking into my fitting with a ton more knowledge than I had before coming to this thread.

Deborah, I will check again this afternoon to see if Arabella has shown up and will let you know. Now you know why I hate ordering things into Canada. I will sometimes go to the post office and get a pleasant surprise .  .oh, right I completely forgot I ordered that  . . . . 6 months ago! 

• val61

I'm just happy that I can help!   Y'all know what's so darn funny about all this?  If you've seen my pre-bmx pics on the forum, you know that the LAST thing on earth I needed was a bra.....unless I needed a "big girl" bra to look like.......well.....a big girl........and not a pre-adolescent!

Mantra - are Canadians really into "delayed gratification" or something?  I think if I had to wait that long for something, I'd no longer want it.  Come to think of it, that might be quite an excellent budgeting tool.....although if my DH found out no doubt he'd suggest we move to Canada!

• mantra

Val61, you look great. You must be thrilled with the results especially when the added bonus is being able to enjoy the world of big girl bras.