Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

OMG Deborah you're a riot!

And I agree with Dawne -- only YOU would use a breast reconstruction book as suitable bedtime reading!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Okay, Deborah.....you DEFINITELY take the cake with this one!  I must admit, though, that I'm quite happy that he happens to agree with my PS about "adequate support garments!" 

Speaking of adequate support garments.......interesting story....well, maybe not THAT interesting.....I decided that since I'm well over a year post-exchange and almost a year post-revision, that I might try a less intense sports bra.....just for Pilates, though.....would never try that with my high-impact aerobics.  So, I donned a "Flow Y" lululemon bra (low/medium support) with my tank top.  Let me just tell you, it did NOT work!  Not only did I nearly fall out of the poor bra, but within an hour after class I started having little pain sensations along my left IMF where I had a significant amount of pocket work done.  I honestly hadn't felt that in many months.  So....moral of the story is:  SUPPORT THE NEW GIRLS!

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

Deborah, you are too funny! Still chuckling. But seriously . .. what company has that photo advertising their product?? I'm surprised the photo isn't blurry from the photographer laughing while snapping it.

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

Val, I have to agree about the sports bras. I bought the Donna Karan because I found the lululemon to be too heavy duty. However, I definitely felt movement while wearing the DK on the elliptical. To test things I tried it again using Big Bertha (Marena post surgical bra) and had no movement. I'm going to try and tighten the straps on the DK to see if it will make it jiggle free.

But yes, I agree the Ta Ta Tamer is a great bra  . . . just wish I didn't find it so uncomfortable. I always used to wear a light sports bra before I had my BMX and implants but I guess it really didn't matter at that time. I also had several heavy sports bras but never wore them. I just can't handle anything that feels constricting . . . I can't even wear a turtle neck or cowl neck sweater. I'd probably make a wonderful nudist .  . . hmmm, I'll have to inquire about membership!

• digid
    digid Member Posts: 6

Hi!

I just wanted to say thanks for this fantastic topic :).  I went to try to find bras last week since my TEs have outgrown my breast form bras and was very very discouraged.  I gathered up my courage and had a lady at Sears size me.  She was rather disinterested, and did a brisk sizing job that ended up being completely useless!  After an hour or so of trying on things that didn't fit, I had a bit of a cry and went home.  I thought I'd never be able to find a bra that fit me again.  And I'm over 5'10" with size 11 and a half feet so bras were the only thing that ever fit me easily!  At any rate, reading through all of these posts has cheered me up and given me hope that I will eventually find some bras that fit.  Thank you thank you thank you Laughing

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Digid:  I know how you feel!  I am 6' tall although I do have small feet bras were never an issue until now.  I couldn't wear a bra when I was fully expanded.  I took apart one of my old "fat" bras, removed the wires and wore it until my exchange.  Nothing will really accomodate a hard coconut shell but you do the best you can with what you have.  You will be so relieved after your exchange!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

digid - It WILL get better!  My first time at Nordstrom's to get fitted wasn't a good experience.  I then went to a specialty masectomy store and was fitted by a very experienced, kind woman who put me at ease.  My second time at Nordstrom's was great!  The whole great bra hunt post-exchange is frustrating because our new foobs are different than the old and it is just trial and error to find what works.  I spent 2 hours one night just trying on bras at Nordstroms ... it was a blast!  Hang in there, girl!  There are beautiful bras out there that WILL work for you ... just don't give up!  Take care!

• Estel

digid - p.s. what worked for me pre-exchange doesn't work for me now post-exchange.  they're a whole different animal once you get the implants.  don't give up! 

• val61
    Happy New Year to all my fellow bra addicts!  Thank you for blessing me this year with your friendship and support!!
  • Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Hit the mall all week and guess what I bought??? Bras and more bras!  Val and friends thanks for all the great bra recommendations!  I can't believe how much I enjoy shopping for bras now, maybe it is because it helps make me feel good about myself.  Funny!

• val61

My apologies to your wallet, Anna!   They do make you feel better, though, don't they?    And SOOOO much healthier than wine.....or chocolate.....though I must admit enjoying them, too!!

• MBJ

Bras, red wine and dark chocolate, three of my favorite things!

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83

I have been taking a break from the boards for a few months and I really miss them! I need some advice.  I am considering going in for smaller implants.  Have had them since July and have been pretty pleased.  They look really nice and I have no ripples or anything.  I like how they look but they just feel so heavy and large and wide!  I am just getting back into shape and I find running a little difficult without two sports bras.  I am a 34G or 36F!  Not an easy size to find!  I am pretty tall so I look ok but wish i were a little smaller. Is a revision worth it?

• MBJ

tamgam:  Have you spoken with Whippetmom?  She might be of great help to you with this.

• val61
    tamgam - I know how you feel....about coming back here, that is.  Every time I'm away for awhile, something pulls me back.  I think it's all the amazing women here!   I'm with MBJ - ask Whippetmom.  I imagine that going smaller is not without some consequence, like ripples, but your comfort/lifestyle issues should take precedence over cosmetics.   I know there are women here who've gone smaller, so Whippetmom will be able to point you to them.  Although I'm nowhere near your size, I understand what you mean about working out.  My PS  had me wear two sports bras when he allowed me to get back to exercising after my exchange, and it was not fun.  There's something about being able to breathe while you're working out.....Smile    BTW.....do you by chance have gummies?
  • val61

Ladies......since we were just talking about sports bras, it reminded me that I'd taken some pics of the process of putting on an X-back sports bra (like my beloved Bendon Max Out and  lululemonTa Ta Tamer).   I just posted them on Lilah's bra thread on the pic forum.  I know a video would be better, but alas....I am not so technically savvy!    Good luck!

• Estel

Thank you, Val!

I'm not blessed with coordination ... I wasn't clear when I looked at the pics at what point you hook the band?  Do you hook it before the straps go over the head?  Or before?

I'm such an idiot!  Embarassed

• MBJ

Val: Thanks for sharing that!  I will go take a look. 

I am posting a few new bra pictures in a few, too!

• val61

Sorry....I should have written descriptions w/ each pic.  You don't hook the band til the VERY end - after you pull the bra down over the foobs.  I just went back and added descriptions, so maybe that'll help a bit....Smile

• MBJ

I just posted some bras and I would love some imput on the prototype bra a friend of mine has designed!

• tamgam

Thanks ladies, I think I will ask Deborah what she thinks about the pros and cons of going smaller.  I just want to feel comfy. Val, I do not have gummies, I have Mentor silicone. They feel very close to natural just so wide!  Ugh! I just want to feel more "me". Need to get to the pic forum soon.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

digid:  Do not invest too much money in bras right now.  It is useless to do so.  Just find a nice supportive wirefree bra or sports bra and be done with it.  The only reason [in my estimation] to wear a bra at all during the TE stage is if you need support to keep them from dropping too much or you need lateral support to keep the TEs moving away from the armpits - where they seem to like to migrate during expansion.

tamgam: I am PM'ing you!

• tamgam

I just got back from a fabulous trip to Nordstroms.  I found lots of bras I really liked and quite a few were on sale.  I have decided to embrace my fullness (for now) and just find great bras.  I bought a sports bra from Wacoal that was pretty pricey and not in any way cute, BUT I really feel locked and loaded and think this will do the trick for my running workouts.  Will see tonight. There are just so many beautiful bras I was like a kid in a candy store.  Too bad the prices are not as sweet as candy!  Have a great day ladies! 

• whippetmom

Oh, I am so happy to hear about your successful trip to Nordstroms!  The key is:  Once you find the bras you love, you buy them new on Ebay.  I buy my $80 Chantelle and Natoris for around $25 on Ebay.

Did you buy some underwire bras? 

Deborah

• tamgam

I always get underwires. I browsed ebay for hours on end and headed to nordies to try on different styles.  It just so happens they had some good sales for Wacoal in my size. I paid $55 for 2 different styles!  I also bought a Wacoal sports bra they said just came in yesterday.  It alone was $62.  Pretty steep and I am having buyers remorse over it so I may return that one as it seems I do jiggle a bit when i jump. :(

I loved a few freyas but will head to ebay for those because they were full price. I did find the freyas underwires to stop a little shorter than my Wacoals. Is that ok if it feels comfortable?  Also, one of my bras underwires seems to be very firm under the foobs.  I am hopeful they will get comfy after a few wears.  You think?

• whippetmom

tamgam:  Freyas would be great for you, in my opinion, but you need to typically go down a band size and up a cup size.  If you said it "stops a little shorter" it probably means the cup is not large enough. The wire supports in the Freyas are some of the best - the plastic surgeons who insist their patients use encapsulation support nearly always recommend Freya bras.  Val's PS is one of the top surgeons in the US and he had her buy Freyas. The underwire should NOT rest on the breast.  It should rest just under the inframammary fold - on the ribcage.  Go look at the pictures forum under Val61's photos and see how this bra should look when it fits properly.  You would also love, love, love the Chantelle C-Chic - not the padded one.  Oh, and also the Anita 5490, which is so incredibly confortable and supportive. It moulds to you like a second skin. You forget you are wearing it.  I get mine on Ebay.  You would wear the same size in Anita as you wear in Freya or Chantelle.

Anita:

• tamgam

Deborah,

The Anita you put up is just like my 2 wacoals.  What do you think of Wacoal bras in general?  I thought they were supposed to be good too.  The freya band seemed to fit me in a 34 but the cup had a little puckering.  I will go back again and try 34 F or 34 DDD. I thought the wires should come up higher in between the breasts so as not to touch them.  Are you saying they should sit below, where the breasts folds under? I may be having a brain cramp because I am feeling clueless now. LOL!  My Wacoal wires come very high in between past the breasts.

• Lilah

Wacoal's are great bras Tamgam... I have one (and also wore that brand for years prior to BC).  I also have the Anita and love it just as much.

• MBJ

Now if I could just look like the girl in the picture, sigh!

• Lilah

LOL