Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

After sleeping on it, I've decided to keep two out of three bras I purchased at Nordstroms and only return the the Notori Feather; the one I would have returned regardess. I'm also going to keep the Barenecessities bras. Now that I know my size, and know what works and what doesn't, shopping online will be a lot easier.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

And now you know what works for you, you can check out e-bay!  :)

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

I went to the PS surgeon today and asked him again about bras.  Took the Chantelle with and he said that was perfect.  I told him I have had a hard time finding a comfortable underwire sport bra and asked if I could wear the Chantelle while exercising.  He said that would be ok, but even better to wear the Chantelle and then a non-wire sports bra (with cups) over that.  I just don't want to wear two bras.  I think Deborah did suggest that though.  So I think I will try to get more of the Chantelle's from e-bay and wear them.  Oh and he thought Champion made a underwire sports bra - going to check that out. 

• Estel

vmudrow - What Chantelle bra are you talking about?  Let us know the name and number.  Love to know which one you're talking about!

Have you tried the Bendon-Max Out underwire sports bra?  Val recommended it and it is one my favorite work-out bras post-exchange.

Here is a link to Bendon bra:

http://www.herroom.com/Bendon-73-408-Max-Out-Technical-Support-Sports-Bra.shtml

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Mantra sounds like a fun and productive day of shopping!

Vmudrow -- I love the Chantelle bras!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

DawnHope:  Thanks for sharing the Bendon Bra--it's really nice!  Do you know if it runds true to size?

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Great question MBJ, that is what I am curious about too. 

• Estel

The band is a little tight, but it needs to be for a sports bra.  I usually wear a 30 band, but the Bendon doesn't come in 30.  A32 D works fine for me.  The straps can cross in the back ... this is the bra I got stuck in, MBJ!  I totally cannot get the thing on with the straps crossed ... so I also have it in a 32C ... if you cannot cross the straps (like me, a litle challenged in the coordination arena) ;)  then you may want to go down in the cup.

Ask Val for sure ... but all this to say ... overall, yes, it runs pretty true to size.  The cup size runs true, band size is a little small.

Also, if you notice on the link for the Bendon Max Out, it comes in another one which runs bigger in the cup if you need it.

Hope this helps! 

• MBJ

Thanks, Dawne!  I ordered the strapless Panache that Val just purchased on ebay in dark brown for $20 but it was small in the band and large in the cup!  Back it goes :(  I also ordered a beautiful burgundy red Panache Balconnet Harmony 4031 bra in the 34DD and it fit perfectly.  Also, $20!  My husband says it's sexy and I wish I could wear it alone, it's so pretty.  Will post on the bra thread soon.  Really well made bras.  I am sad at how much smaller my breasts are now that I am now almost 4 months out :(  Wishing my PS would have put the next size up as I have pretty much no cleavage now, except with the VS sling or padded bras.  Feeling a bit jealous now of those who went bigger. 

• Estel

MBJ - I know what you mean about wanting to go bigger, but know that you look so good!  And you're so symmetrical.  When the boob greed start taking over your mind, just think about how beautiful you look now! 

The only Panache bra I've tried is the Panache Porcelain Lace and I love it!  And you can't beat $20!  Laughing 

• Estel

Hi ladies,

Found a Chantelle c-chic without wires!  Didn't know such a thing existed!  Love the one with wires ... the cups are stretchy!  Thought it might be good for you ladies with the gummies.

http://www.barenecessities.com/Chantelle-C-Chic-Wire-free-Bra_product_Chantelle3586_,search,.htm

• MBJ

Pretty!

• vmudrow

Dawn Hope - The Chantelle Bras are #3951 and #3581.  I just got that Bendon Bra in the mail - but haven't had time to try it on - looks like it will take a full day to figure it out!!  I found that Bali makes a couple of underwire bras - found them at Macy's. 

• Estel

vmudrow - thanks for chantelle #'s.  I haven't tried the 3951 Spacer bra, it looks comfy and cool (temp) too.  I love the c-chic 3581!  The Bendon ... I've never been able to get that thing on with the straps crossed.  You have to cross the straps, put it over your head and then hook the back.  A friend of mine suggested hooking the back first and then putting it over my head ... but I literally got stuck.  Val can do it by herself ... I'm not that coordinated and I don't live with someone who could hook it for me.  However, most of the world is more coordinated than I ... so you should be just fine!  Laughing  I wear mine like a normal bra.  I did go down a cup size, though since I couldn't cross the straps. 

I thought maybe I could find out who my friends were at the gym and ask them to help me but if I do that, they may not be my friends anymore!  Wink 

Best of luck to you!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hey, girls!  Haven't been on in awhile so thought I'd better check on y'all! 

Mantra - Welcome stateside!  You've been quite the little shopper, now!  Sounds like you found some good ones.  I think Natori runs small in the cups, too, btw....  And yes, the lululemon TaTa Tamer is a true high-impact bra - like the Bendon Max Out - but it's really not all that much tighter than an everyday bra.....at least to me.....but then again, I sleep in underwire...lol.....    

My PS had me wear two sports bras to start with - one underwire, one not - and I hated it.  That's when I went searching and found the Max Out.  Shared that one with my PS's nurse, too.

Ladies, do not fear the Bendon's x-straps!  You don't even have to cross them if you don't want to - you just get better support that way.  Maybe I need to do a YouTube video on putting it on.....wouldn't THAT be hilarious?!

I just went to a 50th b-day party for a friend, and just have to share the sentiment on the card I got her.   "She wanted to credit her decision to the widom of age, but deep down she knew it was because of her expensive underwear and fabulous shoes."    That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?   The best things in life.......expensive underwear (bras!) and fabulous shoes...... well, maybe some champagne to go with them.....

Have a fabulous evening, my friends!

• MBJ

Val:  I love it!! Thank you for sharing.  She is 100% correct, btw!

• LISAMG
    LISAMG Member Posts: 28
    I thought I would share my "favorite post exchange bra" find here since there seem to be sooo many great options, but we all have our own unique personal needs. I must have tried dozens of bras in 3 different major stores. Placement of incisions seemed to be my biggest priority need along with "fluffing" my implants so they conform and settle to my body. Being 4 weeks post exchange surgery from my NSM with infra-mammary incisions or under the breast folds, I've had such a difficult time finding one that does not irritate the incision line AND feels comfy. What I luv most is the bra ends/falls much lower than all other sport bras & it doesnt come in contact with and/or near my incisions, looks just like a mini tank top. Its the "Barely There Customflex Fit" wirefree bra, style # 4076. Best news...the bra is available in sizes Small -  XL, based on cup size/ band width combined and comes in lots of colors. It really feels..."barely there", like nothing but has great support. My Natrelle silicone gel implants have fluffed nicely since i started wearing it 3 weeks ago. I really feel its shaping/conforming my implants beautifully, so much so that I "wont leave home without it"...LOL, and I used my AMEX card too & bought 2 more today!! FYI, if u have incisions located below the breast folds and u r looking to fluff, check out "Barely There" !!! 
  • MBJ

LisaMG:  Thanks for that!  I checked it out and it would be a rather large bra for me to wear under most of my clothes, however, I noticed this brand has many styles:  http://www.barenecessities.com/catalog.aspx?nxs=31&vendor=715&cm_mmc=GLSR-_-barely there bra-_-Barely There Bras-_-A&source=GoogleA&term=barely there bra&LID=43952551

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Val - love that sentiment and right on!

• vmudrow

Ok, I got the Bendon bra on and was choking between the straps in the back and the cups up to my neck in the front LOL!!  Loosened the straps (they were on the tightest) and got it on just fine.  Question though - it seems too tight - I can't breathe - would I try a 34 D?  I think I will love this bra (love the crossing straps), just need to breathe.  Off to tennis, wearing a different new bra - I'll post later how it works.  Thanks, Valerie

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Valerie - yep, the Bendon does run a little bit snug in the band, but it'll relax after a couple washings.  Since it doesn't come in 30, I have 32's, but wear them on the middle set of hooks most times, since I often wear tanks from lululemon that already have some support.  Keep trying that one before you change to 34.  Am I remembering that your ribcage is 29"?   If so, you should be fine in the 32.     And congrats on getting the bra on with the straps crossed!  The trick is making a circle with the straps and putting your head through that first.  Then it's just pulling the cups down over the foobs, setting the underwires in place, and hooking that baby up.  Sounds easy, huh?  Wink

Lisa - thanks for sharing that Barely There bra.  Those of you with IMF incisions really do have a tough time, so I'm glad you found something that'll work.  I'll try to remember to post that bra at the top of the thread - once I finish all my cookie baking, card writing, etc.......

• vmudrow

Val - thanks for the info on the Bendon - I think my ribcage is almost 30", I think I'll try the Bendon in 34 D.  Yesterday I tried the Bali Active by Champion hidden underwire bra #3458 - it has underwire, but doesn't look like.  Loved it, super comfortable (doesn't cross in back though), has adjustable velcro straps.  Anyone heard of it or tried it?  Just not sure if it is supportive enough?

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

I have not had a good novel to read lately, and so I have been reading through Kenneth Shestak MD's "Reoperative Plastic Surgery of the Breast" at bedtime the past week.  He states that the most common reason women go back to a PS for revision is displacement of an implant or implants.  Displacement typically occurs laterally, where the implants migrate laterally - towards the armpits.  He lists three reasons this occurs - and one of them is failure to wear a garment sufficient to keep the implants from falling laterally.  He states that the position where this occurs is the prone position - with the implants falling to the sides [during sleep] and the thin skin is stretched and loses elasticity.  So it is something to consider - especially if you have implants with a volume greater than 400 ccs.  Wink

• Estel

whippetmom - Who else would read a novel on breast reconstruction because they can't find another good novel to read?  Wink  You're the best!  Thanks for keep us updated on the latest in all things reconstructed breast related!  We love you and appreciate you!  Laughing

A question re sleep:  If we were to sleep on a wedge pillow would that help keep the girls in place?  If we did everything else 'right' including wearing a good bra to sleep in ... would a wedge pillow be a good thing to have in our arsenal to help keep the girls from moving to the armpits?

• whippetmom

I am having a hard time picturing this wedge pillow.  My husband has a "wedge pillow" which he uses at night because he thinks it helps with his snoring. [ How would HE know?  He's asleep....Yell

I think as long as the bra provides good lateral support you are doing as much as you need to do for the girls.  But I am intrigued about the wedge pillow....

• Estel
    A wedge pillow ... that may not be what they're called, they're just what I call them!  After my BMX I couldn't lay all the way down because it hurt too badly and I didn't have a recliner.  It's a pillow that keeps my head and my shoulders propped up and angles down towards the bed so that my legs and lower back are on the bed ... but my head, shoulders & upper back are up.  It's kinda like these recliner beds but I'm way toooo young for those!  Wink  Can you picture it yet?  II got so used to sleeping with it I haven't stopped ... I was just wondering.  I hear you about the bra ... that's the most important thing.
  • whippetmom

Oh THAT pillow....now I know what you mean.  Yes, that probably does help quite a bit.  It is like a ski ramp for your head!  LOL!  I almost bought one...but I am a side and even a stomach sleeper and I knew it would only have limited use while I recovered from the MX. 

• whippetmom

I think it was also this photo which perplexed me about that wedge pillow. It looks like she got her wedge pillow and died a happy woman.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    Deborah, can you hear me laughing from all the way across the country? You are a RIOT! I'm never getting near my wedge pillow again.Laughing
  • MBJ

omg!   LOL!!!!