Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

LOL Terri

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Great news, Terri!   Two a year is definitely not a bad deal at all.

I returned home this evening to a little package on my front porch from Bare Necessities.....Wink.......will report in when I try them on......one Panache strapless and one Fantasie unlined (both new styles for me)

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I've a funny story that only you all could truly appreciate. 

Last night while trying to wind down from turning in my final exam, I watched the beginning of "The Devil Wears Prada."  I haven't watched it since this whole bc thing and the very beginning of that movie there are models, fashionistas getting dressed and putting on really pretty lingerie.  In one of the shots I spotted a Chantelle "Rive Gauche."  I actually laughed out loud when I saw it because I said, "Hey, that's a Chantelle Rive Gauche."  Two years ago I'd never even heard of Chantelle.  You all have taught me well!  Laughing

• val61

Great story, Dawne-Hope!!  No kidding....I couldn't have told a Freya from a Fruit of the Loom a couple of years ago.....okay....maybe that's a stretch....Wink......but I must admit I do love the new world of beautiful bras that my new foobs have opened!

Speaking of new bras....I'm finally getting around to telling y'all about my newest purchases.  I've been looking for an unlined, seamless, underwire, nude bra to wear especially under white tops (I love white tops - half my closet is white tops).  Most all the unlined bras have seams (like the Freya 'Pollyanna", which just doesn't look good under snug tops.  I have a couple lined nude bras that I do love - like the Panache"Porcelain" - but I really prefer the unlined ones for support and general comfort.  This bra fits the bill:  Fantasie #4520.  It's fabric is tightly structured, so doesn't allow much movement, so I think it'd be a great bra for the early months post-exchange, as well.  In fact, I wore it to my PS appointment and asked his nurse for her opinion, and she said it was great - even asked me for the style number.     The other bra I bought is a strapless:  Panache #3370.  It's part of the "Porcelain" collection, which I mentioned above.  On the "herroom" website, it suggests going up a cup because they are a bit shallow.  I did that on the regular bra, but with the strapless, it was too big in the cups.  I think it's because the straps help exert some "inward" pressure on the wirew, which you don't have with strapless, so the wires want to splay a bit more away from the implants.  I'm going to post pics on Lilah's thread, if you're interested.  

I hope everybody is enjoying this crazy, but fun season and staying healthy!  Check in when you can.....as you can see, it's crazy for me, too!

• Estel

LOL!  "A freya from a fruit of the Loom!"  Love it!  I'm with you!  Laughing

I'll check out the Fantasie.  Does the band/cup size run the same as Freya? 

• mantra
    mantra Member Posts: 189

Val & Deborah, 

I Need help Laughing

I called Nordstroms today to book a fitting for next week. I should arrive in Florida on Monday if I can dig my way out of all this snow!

Anyway, we talked on the phone for a while and she said she has very little in 32 D or 32 DD unless I want an underwire. I can't wear underwire because it impinges on the implants.

She had very few styles in that size without underwire and only came up with the following:

Wacoal 'Awareness 85276' Soft Cup Bra

Donna Karan Intimates '35237' Soft Cup Sports Bra

Calvin Klein Soft Cup Contour Bra 180516

Natori 'Understated 137025' Wireless Contour Bra

I'm not sure any of these are going to do what I need the bra to do; stabilize/encapsulate. Her only other suggestion was to buy underwire and remove it. What do you think?

• Lilah

Val -- can't wait to see those new bras!  They sound marvelous.

Dawn -- LOL on recognizing the Rive Gauche.  I must admit that today I was shopping in the mall and I passed The Bra Smythe (a great alternative by the way to Nordstrom's if they have one in your area) and I glanced at the mannequins and immediately knew: that one is a demi bra, that one is a t-shirt bra, etc.  None of which I knew (or cared) prior to BC.

Mantra -- it depends on the bra re: removing the underwires... for some it really makes the bra useless; for others it can be OK.  I would hesitate to buy and ruin really expensive bras.  On the other hand: you should go in and get fitted (to get a definitive size if you haven't yet).  And since you'll be in Florida you should have no problem buying bras from herroom.com (for example) in your size (they carry far more selection of unusual sizes), trying them on and sending them back if you don't want to keep them.  You'll be in Florida for three months, right?  Shipping is pretty quick, even if it's sent UPS ground.

• val61

DawneH- Fantasie and Freya are the same company - Freya's supposedly their "younger and hipper line" - so sizing is similar.  That being said, I find my Fantasie bras - I have several (no surprise, huh?) - and the band runs bigger, though not big enough to go down a size.  I do tend to use the middle hook even early on, though.   Cup size runs true, I think.  I have 30DD in all my Fantasies, and they fit great.

Mantra - I know Deborah has taken the underwires out of bras, but it's not my thing.  For the most part, I think it ruins the bra.  They're designed specifically with the wire providing support, so taking that out negates their supportive value - in general.  And besides - as Lilah said - it'd be a shame to destroy an expensive bra.  I think trying out a bunch from Herroom or BareNecessities is a grand idea.  Since you'll be in town long enough, you'll have plenty of time to deal with returns.  Both companies are great.  I get stuff from Herroom in only a day, but their warehouse is in Dallas, so only an hour away.Smile

Now for the bras that Nordstrom's has for you.  The Wacoal Awareness is quite popular, and pretty good.  Many of our "no-wire" sisters have that bra and really like it.   The DK one is good.  I'm thinking I tried it on when we were in Vegas and it didn't work for me, though I can't remember exactly why - maybe Deborah does.  I think it would be a decent sports bra for you.  Calvin Klein isn't a bad bra, just not a ton of support, but maybe you don't really need much with the gummies.  The Natori is good, but do know that they a notorious (sort of a pun, I realize) for running small in the cups.  I don't think that bra comes bigger than a D (maybe some places carry a DD, though), so it probably wont' work for you.  I've personally tried 32D (which is my "sister size") in a Natori from TJMaxx, but had to return the great deal 'cause it was just way too small.   

I was just thinking......since you're in Canada, have you tried the lululemon "Ta Ta Tamer" bra?  It'd be a great sports bra for you - I have one and love it.  It's wireless, but super supportive, especially if you cross the straps.  Just a thought.....

• mantra

Okay, I'll ditch the idea to remove underwires. I guess if I was the same size as before, I would have risked removing the underwires from my old bras. But true, it is risky to try it on an expensive bra only to have turn out to be an unsuccessful experiment. And true, the lack of support is a definite concern.

Yes, we have lululemon here but since I'm supposed to leave for Florida on Friday or Saturday, I don't have time to drive to the store and I'd never receive it on time if I ordered it to be shipped. However, I did check it out online and it does look like it could be a great sports bra for me. I checked and they do have a store in Naples Florida so I'll drop in and try it on. I did notice that it only came in 32D (not a 32 DD) so it may not work for me. I'm in Florida until the end of March so plenty of time to do online shopping from the two sites mentioned. Thanks for the info and for the review on the bras I mentioned.

• Estel

Mantra- I found a lululemon store in STL and tried a bunch on ... the tata tamer does come in a 32DD because I bought that one.  I love it!

• mantra
    When I went to their website, the other sizes were active buttons. But the 32 DD was not. I wonder if it is still being made or if they are just selling off what they have left and 32 DD is gone? Although, you'd think that 32 DD would not exactly be a popular size. Hmmm, wanna sell a lululemon ta ta tamer Laughing
  • Estel

Mantra - You know what, I may take you up on that!  :)  I tried others on in a hurry b/c the store was closing and the 32DD felt the best ... but now that I've worn it for exercise it may be a litle big!  You may just have a tata tamer coming, girl!  I'll keep you posted!  Laughing

• val61

Mantra - Yes, it does still come in 32DD 'cause I have one, too - just got it in September.  Mine is a bit big for me, as well - the outside edges of the cups touch the edge of my underarm and it bothers me a bit, but the 32D didn't cover my scars, which was a big concern at the time I bought it.  Next one I'll definitely try the 32D. So....when I do get my new ones and if they work - which will be the end of the month, I hope - then I seriously would consider selling you this one.....it's black......

FYI:  if the store doesn't have one in stock, they can order one for you.  They're very customer service oriented (my son works for them, so I know a lot about the company!)   

Speaking of sports bras, I have two identical bras which I'd love to share with someone for a reasonable price.  They were the first sports bras I bought - at Nordstrom's - and although they are great at support, I don't like the fact that the straps cannot be crossed.  I only wear racerback tops when I teach or work out, so I hate the straps showing.  Consequently, they've pretty much been languishing in the bottom of my drawer for over a year......kinda like on the Island of Misfit Toys....so sad......    Anyway, they're Donna Karan Underwire Sports Bras, style 35137, in "bare" (nude), size 32D.  I would say the band definitely runs snug, as I usually wear a 30 band.    Retail for $54; how about $20?   That's about the going rate on e-bay  (though I did see a 32DD there for the bottom price of $8.99 if anybody's interested.)    Just PM me......

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Just wanted to clarify re: taking the wires out of bras....I only did this with two VS bras [which I already had at home] to get me through the first couple of months after the exchange - before I was cleared to wear underwire bras.  I would never remove the wires from my expensive, European bras....I agree with Val. It would defeat the purpose and ruin the bra.  It is just for the preliminary period after the exchange, if your PS has such an edict re: moratorium on wired bras.  Also, in my case, I needed my implants lifted and supported, and so I used a VS push up bra with wires removed, and this provided lateral support and lifted the implants as well.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

I had a "fat bra" that I took the wire out of until I could get myself properly fitted!  I certainly wouldn't recommend it except for a temporary fix.

• mantra

Deborah, I have a fabulous idea. How 'bout I remove the underwire from Arabella so I can see if I like the result? Ooops, I just heard a thud. Did you just faint?!

If everything goes according to plan, Arabella will be Stateside by tomorrow night. She's all packed . . . I mean literally. She's packed away in my suitcase for the big trip south.

• Lilah

LOL Mantra -- I too removed wire from one of my old bras until I was able to get a good, new bra in the right size.

• val61
    Mantra - Just don't wear Arabella on your plane trip......her wires might set off the alarms......Smile......we wouldn't want to embarrass her.......
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Speaking of wearing wireless bras.....here is an Anita bra [one of my favorite brands] and for anyone wearing a 34 DD, 34 E in Anita [and Freya, for that matter] will be your size.  This is a good price and this seller has 6 available...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160518031971&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Here is the description on herroom.com

http://www.herroom.com/Anita-5493-Classic-Soft-Cup-Bra.shtml?cm_mmc=google-_-her-_-Anita-_-Anita%20Bras%20~%205493&kwid=5bb24a7bc7cc447d8900403da887ae2c

• Lilah

This is a GREAT bra (this Anita Soft Cup) -- I believe it comes either wireless or wired (so make sure you get the one you meant to!)  I have it wireless and wear it most often of the bras I have.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

I've been living in the fila sports bra since my TE was put back in. It's so comfortable!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Just got a Chantelle bra that I ordered on E-bay - spent $25 instead of $80 - E-bay is the way to go, once you know the bra you like and your size!

• Lilah

Woo hoo!

• val61

Y'all will enjoy this......guess who calls me last Friday afternoon?  My PS's nurse.....asking me about bras!  She knew I'd done a lot of research - and I've shown her several since we're almost the same size.  She had a patient similar in size to me just getting her drains out after exchange and she couldn't remember which Freya style I had used.  Perhaps I need to go into business......Wink

This week will no doubt be crazy for those of you who celebrate Christmas, so please take some time to relax and enjoy!   (I promise to try to take my advice....)

• Estel
    val - I think you SHOULD go into business!  There is so out little out there on bras post-exchange and on exercise post-exchange ... I think you could combine both areas and do very well!  I'll be your very first client!  Laughing
  • Estel
    vmudrow - Isn't that fun?  Congrats on the great deal!  Cool
  • Lilah

Val -- I love it!  Nice to get the recognition for your expertise!

• mantra

What I did on my winter vacation . .. AKA my trip to Nordstrom's in Naples.

I booked an appointment with the Nordstrom fitter who works with women who have had reconstructive surgery. She was extremely knowledgeable. She measured me as a 32 DD but quickly downsized to a 32D because I just don't have enough upper pole fullness to fit the DD.

I tried on a ton of bras. There were very few in my size that did not have underwire. So I tried on, and found some underwires that were cut low enough that the wire didn't impinge on the center of the implants. 

I finally settled on:
    Calvin Klein -  F3130 Seductive Contour comfort underwire
    Natori - 137005 - Sheer convertible soft bra u nderwire
    Natori - 730023 - Feathers Contour Plunge underwire

She didn't have any suitable sports bras so I walked over to Lululemon and bought two Ta Ta Tamers. I' not sure I like them because I don't really need a heavy duty sports bra and they just felt too heavy for my needs and liking. But I bought them regardless and will return them if I don't like them.

When I got home, I logged onto Barenecessities.com to price shop. I saw that they were having a 25% off sale that ended today. So with little time to spare I did a mad dash on the computer, set up an account and ordered the Calvin Klein and the Natori sheer convertible and bought each in a few different colours. Then I bought two Donna Karan light control soft cup sports bras #35237. Since I wasn't able to try this bra on at Nordstroms, I decided to order them knowing I could return them if they don't work for me. I just liked the idea of a lighter sports bra. I'm going to hang onto the Ta Ta Tamers just incase the DK doesn't offer enough support.

I decided not to order the Natori 730023 because the cups looked a little small IMO but the 32DD didn't work because I don't have enough upper pole fullness. I bought it at Nordstrom's but I shouldn't have.  

So now that I had saved 25% online, I realized that shipping was too slow for my liking. I was about to pay $10 for three day shipping when another window popped up offering me a free 30 day trial with ShopRunner along with free 2 day delivery and free delivery on returns. Of course I jumped on the offer and have now received an email from Bare Necessities telling me I will have my order by Friday.  

So of course, now I feel really guilty about having to return the Nordstrom's Bras given how much time she spent with me. I'm almost embarrassed to return them but I couldn't turn down the 25% savings offered online.

So all in all, it was a successful day even though I really was hoping to find non underwire. They did feel extremely comfortable so I guess it will be okay. Actually, it was a perfect day to shop. It was 25 degrees when I woke up this morning in the sunshine state of Florida. Last year I was here for 4 months and froze for 3 of them. This year beats last year hands down.

When I first woke up and the radio said "25 degrees" my immediate thought was, brilliant, perfect for golfing. Then I realized I'm not in Canada anymore and 25 degrees F is a whole different planet than 25 degrees C.

• tory
    tory Member Posts: 85

Wow, Mantra, you had a busy day!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

I need to check out that ta ta tamer...