Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - So those Bendon bras are mad in Australia?  I just went to Nordstrom yesterday and found a swim tankini made by Seafolly Australia - loved it!!  Has underwire, really supportive and longer and yet fits snug.  Tried to order a different color online and only place I can get it is Australia.  Might need to make a trip to Australia. 

If I don't wear the Bendon bra, when doing high impact something really pulls on my pec muscles and it is not a good feeling...

• soccermomofthree
    soccermomofthree Member Posts: 70

SusansGarden-I just had my exchange about eleven days ago.  Saw my PS today and he told me I could run!  Lower body work fine just no lifting.  I was happy to hear this. I do not have very large implants though so maybe that makes a difference and if they did lots of pocket work.  I did not have a lot done.  I bought my sports bras before my surgery.  They fit just fine.  I knew about what size I would be. :)

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754

Thank you soccermom!! Wow... running before 2 weeks even! That's so encouraging!  I am hoping my exchange goes as easy as yours!  My TE's seem to be placed nicely so we aren't anticipating pocket work..and I'm not getting very big implants either...so hopefully I'll do as well as you!  So, I'm assuming your sports bra doesn't have underwires then? .. what kind did you get?

• soccermomofthree

SusansGarden-This surgery was so easy compared to MX!!!  I hope all is smooth and easy for you!  I do not have under wires.  I got a really inexpensive one from walmart.  Fruit of the loom sports bra that hooks in the front.  I also bought a grace moving comfort bra.  These hold me in place really well:) 

• SusansGarden

Okay, great! Thanks for the info! :)

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Susan I had my exchange the same day as soccermom and my PS also said I can resume excersizing.. The treadmill and stationary bike that is. I went to the gym today and was on the treadmill for like 40 minutes. I had to walk at a slower pace because this was my 2nd exchange surgery and have a lot of stitches inside so it  wasa bit uncomfortable. I wear a pretty snug sports bra. My PS said it is a good I dea to where is 24/7 for six weeks or so..

• SusansGarden

Thank you!  You guys are inspiring!

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Are the Bendon bras true to size. I may just have to purchase one of these too.. any suggestions on which ones are the best sport bras?

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Bendon is my favorite sports bra.  I find it funs true to size.  The band is a little tight, but you want that in a sports bra. 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Susansgarden - all PS's are different, so wait and see.  I had to wait several weeks after exchange before my PS would allow even the slightest impact.  Just look back at my old posts on EC to see how TOTALLY over the recumbant bike I was (that was about all he'd let me do for cardio).  I was back teaching my Jazzercise classes, though, after 7 weeks, so hopefully that'll be good news for you!

Bendon bras DO run true to size.  I have commented on several styles of them before - couldn't tell you what page, though - but my favorite for high-impact activities is the "Max Out."  The straps are convertable (can cross or not.......see my "instructions" for how to get into that - and any bra - with the straps crossed on Lilah's bra thread on the pic forum.....good for some laughs, at the very least!Laughing)    I tried the "Flex Out" and hated it.  It's supposed to have a "flexible underwire;" it may be flexible, but it doesn't encapsulate the implants and just seems stupid.....IMO, that is.   I do have another Bendon - the "Action Underwire" - which is less intense than the Max Out, but it doesn't seem to be sold at either herroom.com or barenecessities.com anymore.  If you do find it, just know that particular style - at least for me - ran small in the cups, and is VERY low cut.  I wear it for no-impact activites like Pilates and Barre class.  

• vmudrow

Susangarden - I too LOVE the Bendon Max Out - feel really supported!!   And there aren't many underwires that cross in the back and I like that because alot of my shirts are the ones where if it doesn't cross you see the bra straps.  I do take a 32DD in the Chantelle bra, but the Bendon was too tight couldn't breathe - exchanged for 34D - fits perfect. 

• SusansGarden

Thank you ladies! It sounds like I will have some time after the exchange to size myself and order before I can do the high impact stuff anyway. I can't wait to go shopping!!!

• val61
    Valerie - how's the fit on the Seafolly swimwear?  Last year, I bought bikinis from Fantasie and Freya and LOVED them.  Fit just like a bra, which I figured I needed my first summer with new foobs.  I'm willing to branch out, though, and try another brand.  Besides, a new summer (which would be welcome after all the ridiculously cold weather we've had the past couple of weeks) calls for a new swimsuit, doesn't it?Wink
  • cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Val, I have a question for you on pilates. I have a reformer and recently just got back into using it. I had my bmx January 2010 and exchange in August of 2010. I definitely feel" the pectorals tightening during the arm circles and other exercises such as the "hug a tree" and "salute." Is this normal and healthy or could it be problemsome? I have read so much contradictory information regarding arm exercises and upper body strengthening and toning and don't want to harm myself. I value your expertise and opinion! I have been wearing my fiona bra and it's wonderfully snug!     cleo(Linda)

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339

Hi Cleo, I can not comment on whether it is OK to "feel" the pecs tightening -- I think it is one of those bra-no bra kind of things where PS's differ vastly in their recommendations. My PS was of the " do anything-wear anything" ilk, and said I could exercise without any restrictions, though I do not necessarily think that is good...I can commiserate about the reformer, tho. I have one also and have been unable to use it since my BMX last March (and exchange last June) until very recently. I find that if I am not flat, I am more comfortable. I use the little head propper-upper and put a microbead pillow squished between the neck pieces to rest my head and shoulders on. It seems to take the tension off of my chest to be up at a bit of an angle, but it is still not enjoyable like it used to be. All of the upper body stuff, and much of the abdominal (like 100's) seems to tug on my pecs in a very unpleasant way. :(  I am back to it,though, so I guess that is progress!

• vmudrow

Val - I love the Seafolly swimsuit!!  It has underwire and also fits just like a bra.  The straps can cross in back or just normal.  I can't/don't wear a bikini because of a big gallbladder removal scar from 25 years ago, so this is a Tankini.  I ordered a FAntasie and a Freya Tankini from Bare Necessities, the Fantasie fit too loose - the Freya is OK, both underwires.  I have four more coming from Dillards and then I will make my decision and return some.  I tried to order another Seafolly online - but can only get it from Australia - leaving Saturday for a cruise so it won't get here by then. 

Hi Cleo or is it Linda?- (Cleo is my mom's name!),  - she is a breast cancer survivor of 21 years.  I too think it feels weird when the pec muscles flex or tighten or tugs.  My PS said it will always feel that way.  He doesn't want me doing any exercises that specifically are trying to build up pec muscles (bench press, push ups or flies) - anything else would be OK.  I guess we just have to get used to that weird feeling.

• val61

Happy Valentine's Day, ladies!  Kiss

Hey, Cleo and Jershua! Man, am I jealous of you two with reformers at home!  Jershua, I felt EXACTLY like you about laying flat after all my surgeries; it just didn't feel good.  I, too, used the headrest, which helped.  My instructor also rolled up towels to put under my arms (I guess I could have brought my beanbag arm pillows I used for sleeping, just never thought of it at the time), which took a lot of pressure off the pecs.  As for arm work, I think you need to follow your gut and your PS's recs on that.  Mine was like Jershua's - he said he'd never say I COULDN'T do something - just that if I did, I needed to realize that there could be consequences - i.e. the implants could move.  So, I've made the decision - for me, at least - to limit my pec use.  Probably for the first several months after exchange I did any arm work that involved pecs  - circles, hug a tree, and ab work like hundred beats and moves in teaser w/ arms (see, Jershua, you're not alone)  -w/o the straps.  Now that I'm almost a year and a half post-exchange and a year post-revision, I'm using the straps, but generally with only a blue or sometimes yellow spring.  Prone arm work (like pulling straps) doesn't seem to affect me as much (I'm back up to using the red spring), as I've learned how to compensate by using my lats and traps more and stopping the movement before my pecs kick in.  I do the same thing with pushups, which I do now (sadly, my barre teacher loves them), I just don't go very low, so that the primary muscles involved are my back more than my pecs.  Does that make sense?

Valerie, thanks for the swimsuit info.  I think I need to go shopping!

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Ladies(Jerusha, Vmudrow and Val!) thank you for the interesting comments on pilates and the use of the reformer. Yes, Linda is my "real" name and cleo is my screen name. Vmudrow, absolutely wonderful news that your mom is a 21 year BC survivor. I will take you all up on your suggestions next time I do pilates and Val, I do understand what you mean when you say to stop short of isolating the pec muscles during some exercises. I'm very impressed that you are able to do a push up. How would we ever be able to explain the peculiar feeling we get when we engage our pecs after MX and BMX? It is so comforting to be able to come to this forum to listeners who get it! Thanks:)

• soccermomofthree

Cleo-I am so glad you asked the chest muscle question.  When I was jogging I felt that horrible tightness just like the TE use to do.  I am just over two weeks past exchange.  I wonder what kind of harm could be done? 

• nlm
    nlm Member Posts: 11

My Foobs were revised three weeks ago after which my PS told me to wear a sports bra. How long after the surgery should you wear the sports bra? Apparently he committed suicide over the weekend, so I dont have anyone to ask yet. Also how soon after surgery (silicone gel implants), were you able to work out?

Thank you for any advise. I was supposed to see him this week and was planning to ask these questions.

Nancy

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Nancy -- wow I'm so sorry to hear that your PS committed suicide (how awful)!  My PS had me wear a supportive bra 24/7 for at least 8 weeks (well 23/7 because I did of course remove the bra when I showered).  Keeping a supportive bra on for that period of time gives sutures time to heal in the right place.  I believe you have to wait three months for any sort of vigorous workout... but I'll let others chime in on that.  Certainly after three weeks you need to keep taking it easy... but I imagine walking on a treadmill might be okay in a week or so (but no heavy lifting and take care with reaching up).  What is your PS's office doing to cover his patients? 

• LG300
    LG300 Member Posts: 512

Nancy - Sorry about your PS.  My PS told me no working out for six weeks post exchange.  Now I'm allowed to work out, but can't lift more than 10 lbs (5 lbs each arm).  I'm still taking it easy - partly because I'm lazy/tired and party because I'm afraid of hurting myself.  I lifted my 17-month nephew to put him in and take him out of his crib, and I was sore for the next few days (he weighs more than 10 lbs). 

Soccermom - I can't believe you went jogging after only two weeks.  That just sounds like it would be painful, and it doesn't sound like it would be good for the implants.  Did your PS give you the OK to jog so soon?

• Estel

Nancy - I too am sorry about your PS.  That's horrible! 

After my exchange, it was six weeks before I could get on treadmill.  I could ride on an incumbent bike at four weeks.  I tried walking for exercise before the six weeks and it really hurt!  I should have listened to him!  ;)

• Estel

The beginning of a new semester means that I get out of class at 5, in the middle of rush hour traffic, with a mall and a Nordstrom's nearby which can only mean a girl has to bide her time at Nordie's looking at bras!  Laughing

I was well intentioned going in ... I'd ordered a couple of Elle MacPherson bras that were too big and I was going to go in, find the Ella MacPherson bra, try it on in a smaller size to see if I needed to exchange them or get a refund.  One thing lead to another ... and I bought three new bras along with deciding that I would exchange the Elle MacPherson bras.

I tried on some DKNY bras for the first time.  Loved them!  Bought two:  453079 and 458569.

Bought a Josie bra too.  The salesperson described 'Josie' as the young line of the Natori.  The band on Natori bras are too big for me.  A 32 band in the Josie fit me like a 30band.  Bought that one too: 832118.  It came in lots of pretty colors, pink and yellow and of course, black. 

Ah, what's it say about me that I now consider a good time trying on bras at Nordie's?  Embarassed  Don't answer!  Wink

I'll post them on the pic forum when I get a chance. 

From one bra addict to another ...

• nlm
    nlm Member Posts: 11

Thank you so much for the information. At this point I am not sure what is going to happen with the PS patients. Last week he put on more steri strips and told me not to take them off. I am supposed to see him next monday, and have no idea what is going to happen. He has two partners, but they don't do breast recon and don't take. Insurance. I hope to know more in a day or two. Thank you again for your advice.

Nancy

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Nancy:  Ho horrible about your PS!  I can't imagine!  Of course, you are going to need to get a new one but in the meantime, make sure you stay supported.  You have been given excellent advice above!

DawneHope:  How convenient, lol!

• soccermomofthree

LG300-yes PS said it would be fine.  I wear a very snug sports bra and I am going very slow.  I am still numb from MX so I really don't hurt.  My implants are not very big 455cc so they don't really move :) 

• vmudrow

Just thought I'd let everyone know I have found some other swimsuits that are great.  "Coco Reef", underwire and the bra is connected but kind of separate (if that makes sense) and then a brand called "Profile" - ordered online from Dillards, but they will probably have some in stores in a few weeks.  Obsessed with bras and now obsessed with swimsuits!!

• soccermomofthree

vmudrow-I am loving all your info thank you!!!

• SusansGarden
    Great info on the swimsuits!  I'm looking forward to bra shopping... not so sure about the swimsuit shopping!!! ...... if I lose these last 10 or so pounds and the fat grafting helps... maybe I'll be right there with you come summer! Kiss