Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• 42squared
    42squared Member Posts: 25

val61 and MBJ:  thanks so much for your feedback.  i wanted to order a couple sports bras online so i can bust out of this surgical bra the very first day i am allowed!   i have measured myself many times with the 3 meaurements, and have had my boyfriend re-measure (really sexy, right? not!), and i'm riiiiiiiiiiiight on the line btw a 34B and a 34C.  literally one half of a centimeter changes the measurement!  if i breathe in, i'm a 34C, if i exhale, i'm a 34B.  :)  so, i guess i really do need to go nordstrom's first just to confirm what size i am! 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

42squared - You are most welcome!   As for sizing, you'll find that with implants, we tend to end up with larger cup sizes than what you'd think.  I look like a C cup, but I wear a DD.  It's because the implants are wider than natural breasts.  Did you use the sizing guide from herroom.com that I linked at the start of this thread?  That's the most accurate for us, but even then is never foolproof.  Since most of us don't have the nipple-areola complex, we are much flatter across than natural breasts, so that also influences the bra fit.  It really is very much a trial and error process.     And btw....kudos to your boyfriend for helping you measure....now THAT's a great guy!

If you want to send me your measurements - PM if you want - I'll be happy to help......

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Question:  Went to the city today and made my weekly trek to the mall.  There was a Soma store there and I've never been in one.  Went in and kind of a pushy saleslady started helping me when I really wanted to be left alone.  I think she knew nothing about reconstructed breasts because I had to show her why some didn't work.  Val ... I think you mentioned this somewhere so I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question but she told me that there needed to be room to put your finger under the strap that goes across the shoulder.  Is that true?  It didn't seem right to me ... it gives too much play ... I like my straps tight ... loose straps make my foobs hurt.  I'm thinking she didn't know what she talking about ... but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!  Tongue out

Please set me straight!  How tight should the shoulder straps be ... should we be able to put a finger under the strap?  Thanks!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Dawne-Hope - I have been wearing the SOMA Selma style minimizer bra. It seems to fit my bi-lat reconstructed breasts as it is smooth and seems wide enough in the underwires to accommodate the implants. They also have a beautiful lace one (actually net with embroidery) and can't think of style name. I had to go down a cup size in it, but my PS who is anti-underwire was completely tounge tied when he saw it in black and red and is trying to get his wife interested in it - LOL. It makes me feel pretty! So sorry you had a pushy sales lady. The ones I deal with are so nice and one is a BC survivor with recon (uni) so she is big help. At one time they told me a finger under the strap as well, but I go with what is comfortable for me which is tight. I am have an issue with one foob now and DH tightened strap and thought it was evening it out and so I tighetened other bra straps and found he was right. Hope this helps a bit.
    Nancy

• Estel

Nancy - Thank you!  Funny about your PS!  :)  I only went in there because they were having a sale.  They have no 30 bands, but a couple of a 32 bands ran small.  She kept loosening up the straps and I just let her do her thing ... and I thought I'd read somewhere (where else but here!) that the finger under the strap 'rule' did not apply to women with implants.  But I'm not sure.

I'm with you ... do what feels good.  I feel like I have diva boobs ... everything has to be PERFECT or they hurt ... and for me, the tighter the better. 

Thanks!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Diva boobs -- I love it!

• Delilahbear

I love the "Diva boobs" - that is exactly what mine are!

Had an appt. With my BS today (she is also my GP and PS's ex and they still share an office and are the breast team "duo" at the hospital). It is an unusual arrangement which works well. Anyhow, saw PS when I was leaving so we had an impromptu discussion about my "diva boobs" and upcoming exchange of leaking saline implant. It is so nice to have someone who is easy (and willing) to talk to outside of the exam room.

• soccermomofthree
    soccermomofthree Member Posts: 70

Delilah-I didn't know that a saline implant could do a slow leak.  I thought that it would just be flat all of a sudden.  I have saline implants so I am just curious and wondering...

• Lilah

Aw Delilah -- I didn't know you had developed a leak.  So sorry to hear that but glad it will be corrected soon.

• mtks
    mtks Member Posts: 61
    Thank-you Val61!!!!! Wow! What great info! I have my exchange  soon and that info is valued greatly!! You went into so much detail- I don't think anyone should have any questions regarding the this issue. Thank-you again! Smile
  • MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

DawneHope:  I get my nipple/areola on Tuesday and I am wondering:  Do your bras fit any different/better since you had yours done or do you not notice anything?  Thanks!

• Lilah

MBJ -- I am sure you are going to be very happy you did the nip/areola surgery -- can't wait to hear all about it!

• Estel

MBJ - Know I'm not typical ... I had to wear the gauze longer than they suggested b/c I had some pain issues but that has completely resolved now.  Bras don't go well with gauze!  Wink

I think you're having fat grafting done, yes?  That may help with the fit.  I noticed that the nips did NOT make my foobs bigger.  They may yours b/c of the grafts.  It's been three months and now I can't tell any difference pre-post nips on how my bras fit.  You may if you're getting the grafting done b/c that could give you some 'oomph.'  Praying for you, MBJ!

• MBJ

Thank you!  Dawne I seem to recall you just loosened your bra straps until it healed?

• Estel

MBJ - I did because I had about 2 inches of gauze on top of the new little nip!  Remember paper tape too!  It is less annoying to the skin. 

• val61

Hey, ladies!    DIVA BOOBS........LOVE IT!     I most DEFINITELY have THOSE!     And yes, Dawne, you're right - there's no reason that you should have that much play in the straps.  The straps are there to provide support, and if they're not snug, then they're not pulling their weight.....pun intended....Wink    We have a Soma store just a few minutes away, but I've never found anything other than nightgowns that work for me.  They do have some beautiful - and I think quite good and supportive - bras.  As you said, they just don't come small enough around.  I've tried buying 32's a few times, but end up tossing them because they get loose quickly even on the tightest hooks.  

MBJ - congrats on the nips!  How are you feeling?   My PS had me continue to wear my regular bras, just with straps lossened up a lot, so that there was no pressure on the nips.  He had me put the gauze in a doughnut shape around the nips, which I must say required some strategic dressing.   Jackets and long scarves helped me not look like a Madonna "material girl" wannabe!  As for size, the nips didn't change a thing.  In fact, initially, I lost some roundness.  That did come back once the incisions healed, though.  

mtks - you are most welcome, my dear!  Keep in touch and good luck with your exchange!  If your PS doesn't have any specific bra requirements, do come back here and I'll be happy to share my two cents worth!

As I was sitting in Mass yesterday, I was thinking about what I should give up for Lent and briefly considered bras shopping.......only briefly, though......Kiss

• Delilahbear

Thanks for all the concern over my leaking saline implant. I fell at a wedding (fortunately on grass) and slid on my right side which probably dislodged the diaphragm on the back of implant under fill port and then I sleep on my stomach so that puts pressure on the implant which adds to the slow leak. PS said he replaced one not long ago for another patient and his nurse told me she had to order replacement for me and another patient so I guess it is not uncommon. At least Mentor guarantees them and gives a little $'s towards the replacement. I will have the exchange in his surgery suite in his office.

MJB - I used disposable nursing pads in my bra after my nipple surgery. I also had the doughnut type gauze protection as well. The nursing pads prevent rubbing on bra.

• MBJ

Val:   My nipple/areola surgery is next Tuesday so I feel excited and scared at the same time.

Nursing pads-great idea.  I am so not prepared for this. 

How soon before you all went out in public with all of the guaze and stuff?

• Estel

MBJ - I went out to eat at Red Lobster after my nip surgery.  *Breathe*  This is the last of a long string of surgeries.  It's gonna be alright!  Much love to you!  xo

• MBJ

Dawne-Hope:  Thank you so much.  I just want it to be over!

• Lilah

MBJ: this too shall pass... and when you are on the other side you are going to look MARVELOUS!

• val61

MBJ - oooohhhh.....I thought it was THIS Tuesday.......hang in there and try not to be too nervous.  I was a total wreck, mostly because I was so conflicted about even having nips. I was afraid to mess up a "good thing" I guess.  That all changed when I was in pre-op and my PS drew on me for the nips placement, took a picture, then had me look at the camera........I almost started crying right there.....finally, the foobs resembled something close to normal.  From that moment, I've embraced these crazy little things......gauze and all!    I will add that I also tried nursing pads, but they just didn't work for me.....not nearly soft enough......and I really didn't need the moistureproof layer, so that crunchiness just bugged me.  In fact, probably having something that could keep moisture in could be a potential infection risk.....maybe......       You can go out as soon as you feel up to it, just remember to wear a loose jacket or long scarf to attempt to hide your weirdly-shaped chest - the gauze doughnuts I had to keep around my nips just made me feel like a Madonna wannabe.....

• MBJ

Val:  Madonna wannabe, lol!  I used to have an aquaintance, a friend of a friend of a friend and I had secretly named her this and your comment brought her image to mind.  Thank you for the suggestions--I went out and baought a few scarves so I can hide my extra endowments on my left side.  Hopefully it wont be too warm out so I can layer up for a few weeks.

Lilah:  Thank you!  Feeling really on edge right now and I just want to be done.  Good thing my PS is an artist.

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Best of luck MBJ!  Scarves are indeed a girls best friend!  Hugs and prayers to you!

• MBJ

Thank you Anna!

• Lilah

MBJ -- your PS is definitely an artist!  And that is why it will come out great :)  Breathe, breathe... and have a nice martini!

• Mel22
    Mel22 Member Posts: 2

Does anyone know if there's a way to 'search' this forum for a particular topic? I'm specifically interested in reading posts by women that have experienced saline implant changes or shifting several months after exchange surgery.

I find there's a lot of really good information posted from personal experiences, and also a lot of chit-chat that's not directly relevant to the topic. I know these forums provide a valuable support network for some people, but I don't have time to wade through thousands of posts to find the information I'm looking for.

Suggestions?

Thank you! 

• Estel

Mel22 - Look for the search button in the upper right corner of your screen.  "Search" is located under "Log-out." 

You can also start your own thread.

• MBJ

Lilah:  I am a mess.  Almost as bad as before my MX.  I am such a perfectionist and what if he puts it in the wrong place??!!  I'm not drinking for a month so that I heal better so I guess I have to settle for a cyber martini.  Cheers!

• Estel

MBJ - You're so not alone.  I was a mess too before my nips.  I was worried that I would mess them up, they would shrink ... couldn't keep the fears from overwhelming my mind.  Red (Rooibos) Tea has a calming effect and it's loaded with antioxidants.  You can find it in most grocery stores now a days.  It's worth a try and it can't hurt!  I tip my cup to you, dear MBJ!  Wink

Much Love & Prayers,

dh