Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Well no bikinis for me  - they are great tankinis (helps hide the extra 10 pounds) I was going to lose 5 pounds before my cruise - but looks like that will wait until March. 

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642

Does anyone have a favorite post-surgical compression bra that they love? And if so where did you buy it? I had a BMX on Feb 3 and came home from the hospital in a Jobst compression vest, which I do like, but I need another compression bra as a spare and one that I can wear under a button-down shirt without it showing. Any suggestions ladies?  Thanks so much!! 

• tory
    tory Member Posts: 85

Rennasus - I didn't have compression bras after my mastectomies, but I recently had exchange surgery and have 2 marena compression bras that I really love.This is a no-frills reasonably priced one that comes up really high under the arms (which could be really good or really bad depending on how sensitive you are and how much lymph node involvement you ad - I personally like that its side support goes so high) but it takes a few days to get used to the slightly scratchy trim:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-133-seamless-molded-cup-bra.aspx 

This is basically the same bra in a little bit softer (and more expensive) version that runs slightly larger in the sizing:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-105-molded-cup-bra.aspx 

And this is the most feminine of the 3 I have experience with. Its straps can be crossed for extra support, but I found that when I did that the little metal parts that attach the straps to the main part of the bra dug into my skin. I still like it, I just don't cross the straps. And it's the least likely to show under clothes of those I've mentioned:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-154-molded-cup-breast-lift-bra-with-zipper.aspx

I'm assuming you have tissue expanders - you might not need anything for too much longer. I think many of us found that we only needed to wear camis with shelf bras or bra-lette type garments, or the kind of hanes/fruit of the loom type "sports" bras that don't provide all that much support, when going through the expansion process. I found that I really just needed something to cover up the fact that I wasn't wearing bras and to make sure nothing showed if I bent over.

Good luck!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642

Tory: yes, I have tissue expanders, hence the need for a compression bra, which I need to wear for a couple of months. Thank you for these bra links, this is incredibly helpful! I will check them out. I'm going to order a couple today. PS Great quote from Lynn Redgrave!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Tory - thanks for sharing all that great info about the Marena bras!  

Rennasus - Welcome!  We're sorry you joined the bmx club, but happy you found us!  Tory is quite correct - you probably won't be wearing a bra with your TE's (tissue expanders) once your PS okays it.  In fact, many advise against it.  Besides, it's just hard to find bras that really fit your body with those darn things in!  I wore little bralettes or camis - just enough to give some coverage so I didn't scare anybody  - but nothing that would exert any pressure on the TE's, which is important.  

nim - Welcome, to you, too!  Gosh....I'm SO sorry that you're having to deal with the loss of your PS right after your revision.  I'm hoping that his partners will either help you or refer you to someone who can.  How long ago was your original exchange?   As for the sports bra issue, PS's differ a great deal on wearing bras after surgery - just read my epistle that opens this thread.  However, it takes about three months for the scar tissue to adequate form around the implants - the "capsule" - and that is what provides a great deal of support for the implants.  So, it makes sense to keep the implants well supported 24/7 during that time.    As for working out, that's another area where PS's differ.  I, too had a revision, and my PS didn't allow any impact for over 8 weeks - recumbant bike, like Dawne-Hope mentioned - and no arm work for 6 weeks, not even holding the handles on an eliptical trainer.  Stretching was allowed after about 3 weeks, though, which was crucial to my recovery.  I was back teaching my aerobics classes after 10 weeks, though.   After my original exchange, he let me resume impact after 6 weeks, and arm work after 5 weeks, though.  He was just being EXTRA careful after my revision - and I'm thankful for that.  I really don't want to do that again!

• val61

Dawne-Hope - I forgot to say congrats on all your new bras!  Tell us about the fit on the DKNY bras....do they run true to size?   Natori's don't work for me, either - very big in the band, and I think the cups run small.  So the Josie is better?   Natori and Josie and like Fantasie and Freya - same company and essentially the same fits, but Freya targets a younger, hipper customer.  That must be why we love them, right? Wink

Hope y'all have a fabulous weekend!  I'm going to a fancy event tonight, complete with a long, sparkly gown (and a strapless bra - Panache "Porcelain")....should be fun!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

val61 - Have fun at your fancy event!  A long, sparkly gown and a strapless bra, very nice!  Enjoy!

I really like the Josie bra.  Yes, I must love them because I'm hip and young!  Wink  I'm not good at telling 'true to size.'  I know the band is smaller ... not sure about the cup.  Haven't worn enough Natori's to compare.  I've tried to find them online and they are not out there yet.  I found one, I think it was on BareNecessities.  The saleslady told me they were trying them out at Nordie's and if they sold well they would continue to have them.  They're pretty new.  I'm a fan.

The DKNY bras fit like a dream!  The one thing I don't like is the straps ... I need a strap I can tighten up almost all the way up.  The DKNY's are hard to find with straps like that ... but the ones I found fit perfectly.  They're cheaper too than some of the brands.  Time will tell if they last as long.  Right now, I'm a fan.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106

I looking from the outside in ...  My personal up close bra fitting at Nordie's is next week .. just absorbing all this information.

Thank you ladies for providing such detailed and sufficient information to me.  I was told that I would never have to wear a bra again!  Lies, all lies.  

Vicki Sam

DCIS Stage 1, 0/3 nodes, Her2neu - positive, er/pr negative

• Estel

VickiSam - Good luck at your fitting next week!  Keep us posted on how it goes and what you end up with.  We're all learning from each other, here!  Val and Whippetmom are the experts.

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

My friends I love this site and I appreciate you all so very much!  I learn so much here about the bras and recommendations.  Dawne-Hope thank you!

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142

I too am so appreciative for this thread. It has made it really easy for me to shop for a sports bra.

My PS said nothing about bras other than that I need to wear a sports bra when I start exercising again.

How long after the exchange surgery should I head to Nordstoms?

• val61

Ann97 - so glad you found us!   PS's differ on just about every aspect of reconstruction, and bras are certainly no exception.  My PS sent me to be fitted as soon as he pulled my drains, which normally is about 3-5 days (for moi, more like 6.....thus my revision.....long story....)    So, I think as soon as you feel comfortable moving your arms enough to be fitted, you're good to go.  I must say that for my initial fitting, I had my girlfriend (who drove and helped me since I wasn't allowed to use my arms yet) and the Nordstrom fitter all postioning bras on my as I just stood there.  Just one more memorable bc experience!    

VickiSam - Let us know how your Nordies fitting goes!   (and I personally agree w/ you aboutnot needing bras....lies, indeed.....but plenty disagree with us, just so you know!)

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Bras are so necessary and my new breasts just feel more comfortable and hurt less when in a great bra that is also very pretty!

• val61

Tell me about it, MBJ.   I try every once and awhile to go w/o a bra for short periods, just to give my skin a little break; since I spend so much time in sports bras everyday, I'm starting to get little bumps under the straps.   It really is just NOT comfortable.  Besides, the last thing I want to do is encourage any kind of implant migration.....been there, done that.....    So, I concluded last year that I  EMBRACE bras for all they do for me!

• MBJ

Val:  How was your slinky dress night out?

• val61

Oh, we had such fun.....danced the night away.  They paid the band to not take a break, so it was non-stop from 9-midnight!  You should have seen the pile of heels that the women made on the dancefloor - all that dancing definitely dictated dancing barefoot!   (though I must admit I toughed it out and wore my 3" heels all night!)        I'll try to put a pic as my avatar, since I can't post a pic here....

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Wow, thanks to all the great advice on this thread.  I'm not ready for bra-shopping yet, but I'm keeping this bookmarked for down the road.

Thanks again!!!

Biopsy Diagnosis #1:  12/8/10, Left ILC with LCIS, 5mm, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2 -

Biopsy Diagnosis #2:  12/20/10, Left DCIS, <1cm, Intermediate grade, ER+/PR+

NSBMX with SNB on 2/16/11 - awaiting final diagnosis

• val61

Welcome, Tina!  I see you're a fellow ILC sister.   Hang in there and let us know if there's anything we can help you with!

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142

Thanks Val. I've got an apt at Nordies for Friday. I can't wAit!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Val -- love the dress!  You look all sparkly and stuff :)

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

Love the new pic Lilah!

• Lilah

Thanks Claire :)

• MBJ

Val:  That sounds like such a great time, but I would have been the first to take off my shoes and dance barefoot.  Great picture in your sparkly dress!

• val61

Ladies - Just wanted to let y'all know I'll most likely be out-of-pocket for the next few days.  DH and I will be driving a lovely UHaul truck to help our older son move "out of the nest."  Twelve hours in that truck is NOT something I'm looking forward to!  Don't know if I'll have internet where we're headed, so I apologize in advance.  You guys hold down the bra fort, okay?   

• Estel

val61 - Be careful!  Be safe!  Thinking about you all as you travel! 

• Estel

I posted my new Josie bra on the pic forum.  The only place I can find it online is BareNecessities.  I bought it at Nordstrom's and it came in tan, black, and yellow and pink polka dots.  The saleslady said they were trying them out to see if they would sell.  They are not on the Nordstrom site yet and bareneccesities only has the tan.  I really like it!  :)

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Natori832118&source=gbase&term=Natori832118&cm_mmc=GLBS-_-Bra-_-Natori832118-_-N/A

• 42squared
    42squared Member Posts: 25

val61 - have a safe, easy trip!!  but wait, isn't he supposed to FLY out of the nest?  :)

i'm about to purchase my first post-exchange sports bra.  yaaayy!  i've read great things here about the moving comfort fiona bra.  what about the helena?  any thoughts on that one?   

• val61

Hey, girls!  I survived the trip!  Not, too bad....but I certainly hope to not do that anytime again soon!

42squared - true, true.....flying would definitely have been preferable!  (though DH and I did fly home, I must confess....cost of gas and all, you know.....)    As for your question about the Moving Comfort "Helena" bra, it's decent.  It's wireless, which a lot of women prefer.  I actually owned one right after my exchange, as my PS wanted me to layer my sports bras - wireless over underwire - and my local running store only sold the Moving Comfort line.  I think it's a good supportive bra, but I had trouble with all the Moving Comfort bra straps - I couldn't get them to go short enough for adequate support.  So, I sized down, but then the cups were too small.  So, for me, it wasn't that great, but it's certainly worth a try!     Congrats on reaching this stage!

• Lilah

Hey Val -- welcome back!  Glad you made it in one piece :)

• MBJ

42Squared:  Different bras work for different body types--You will have to wait a bit until the swelling goes down, then get a fitting appointment at Nordstroms.  I tried on tons of bras, only found a sports bra at Nordstrom and nothing else there.  I ended up at Victoria's Secret on line and bought some of their wireless ones.  Love them!!!  I couldn't find anything in the stores except their basic wireless styles, which are not my favorite.