Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

fire-dancer - I wear a 32c at Victoria's Secret and have found some.  They were my favorite pre-BC.  I've found, though, that the VS bras don't give the support on the sides that the Freya, Fantasie and Chantelle bras give me.  Sizes do vary from bra to bra, brand to brand ... but you CAN find really cute 32 bands (I normally wear a 30) on the barenceccesties website as well as the herroom website.  They have really cute bathing suits as well.  I've also find Linda the Bra Lady (based in NY) has great bras on her website as well as really cute bathing suits.  The ONLY store that I've found that has 30 bands in the actual store was a specialty masectomy bra shop.  Even at Nordstroms I struggle to find 30bands.  Online is where I find most of them.  Check out barencessities.com and herroom.com.  Here's the other link:

http://www.lindasonline.com/bras.html

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Dawn-Hope - thank you so much!  I am still new at all this stuff.  Pre-bc I didn't care to shop for bras and I would put money on that I was wearing the wrong size, anyway! I need to spend some time looking around online.  I always nervous to make those purchases because of returning items if they are not a good fit, I guess I should just try it out and see - thanks for the link!

ps - I have 5 chantelle bras and they are great!  They DO feel so supportive!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I've returned bras to all the sites above ... bunches of them!  EmbarassedSurprised

And all of the sites have been very good at exchanging ... my favorites are lindasonline and barencessities ... but herroom is good too.  You order what you think will work and if they don't, you send them back and they'll exchange them or refund your money.  They're good ... barenecessities right now is offering a deal on chantelle ... you order and if you have to return, the shipping is free.  Oughta be because those chantelle's are expensive!  Wink

The other sites ... are links in the header to this thread.

Happy bra shopping and keep us posted on what you get!  Laughing

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Firedancer:  At VS I wear a 34DD in just about everything that actually fits and I bought most on line as I can't always find DD's.Sometimes I wear a 36D but usually it's loose in the band.  In the VS swimsuits, only the one padded halter style worked for me--nothing else fit.  I have returned lots and lots of swimsuits and bras!!!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

fire-dancer - I am a 32 DD and also love Chantelle's.  I did buy a VS bra in a 32 D and it feel ok, but not as good as the Chantelles.

• ditan3
    ditan3 Member Posts: 35

Val61 ~ thanks.  Saw my PS and he says I'm doing fine.  I can wear an underwire no problem and he says the implant wont' migrate over ~ it's fine.  Says the sensation will go away in time.  I hope he's right.  Still feels weird but hopefully time will change that. 

So off I go again ~ however this time in search for an underwire bra.  I'm a 34B so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  (Whippetmom and several of you directed me to non underwire Wacoal Awareness and it was a perfect fit - just love it). Can't do the online ordering as I live in Canada and would have to pay the shipping both ways and wouldn't receive the bra in time to exchange it. Most times it takes 2 wks to get something here.  But I'll go shopping on foot....I'm determined.  Once I find a great fit, then I'll order online without worrying about returns.  :-) 

MJB ~ I also prefer the halter style bathing suits....anxious to check a few of them out real soon too.  I'd like to find a halter top with roushing and criss cross on the bra.  Either one piece or a two piece that looks like a one piece.  It's tiring though to have to try on so many.  Glad I'm not alone.

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

Has anyone tried Spanx bras, underwire or non underwire?

• eulabt
    eulabt Member Posts: 29

greycruise- I have 2 of the Spanx bras. They are the only thing that is comfortable for me. I don't think they fit the greatest, but they work. The cups are fine and seem to hold the implants in place, I just think the straps are too stretchy.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

greytcruise - I personally haven't tried the Spanx bras because they don't come in my size.  Some women here have tried them and like them - like eulabt - but some have said they're not terribly supportive, just comfy.  They might be worth a try, especially if you are a C-cup or less.  (sorry.....can't seem to remember what your implants are....)

ditan3 - I think I have found what you need!   Check out this website:  http://www.braboutique.com/pages/default.htm          Specifically, look at the Chantelle C-Chic #3581 (a Bras 101 Favorite!) and theChantelle Tamaris #166 (which I've never seen in the US, though looks really good.)  They carry a few other "better quality" brands, but not too many, though apparently they can get them if you email a request.  I'd suggest staying away from Le Mystere.  While an excellent bra and very popular, many of us have tried them (myself included) and found they just don't work well with implants.  I hope you can find something there!   

Another brand that you might try - though this site only carries one style and not what you need - is Grenier.  It's a Canadian company, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding them up there!  (And one of our own here recently bought one here and just loves it!)    Here's a site that carries them:    http://www.brabarella.com/grenier_bras.htm 

Several of the styles don't come in B-cups, but maybe you're really a 32C......Undecided  The Grenier 8421 looks like it might work for you.   Good luck!

• val61
    fire-dancer - As anyone who's hung around this site for long knows, I'm not a fan of VS fitters or their bras, at least not for support.  They are absolutely cute and sexy, but just don't work for me - though MBJ is definitely a fan and they work for her, which just goes to show that everybody's different!  So, it's certainly worth a try, especially when they're on sale right now, as Nancy mentioned.  They don't come small enough band for me, though I did buy a couple of bras last year after a friend gave me a gift certificate.  I had to get 32DD (though technically the true "sister size" for me woul be a 32D, which was too small in the cups), and I have to put it on the tightest hooks.   I do wear them for "date night" and such, since you know they have such cute panties to match!  (and yes, I admit it, I'm one of those who like to be all matchy....Kiss)
  • MBJ

Val:  I can't find anything in the VS stores and foget getting fitted there!  I usually order on line to find my size and only 2 or 3 bras there work with implants but the ones that do are soooo cute and flattering.  Yes, I have to say I like matching panties, too!!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,273

Eublat - My Rx says: 

"Primary Dx: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma in Sit (233.0)"

"Comment: Prosthesis Prescription Diagnosis: Breast Cancer/174.9 Mastectomy Bra # 6"

Since I'm doing reconstuction, Nordstroms didn't ask or require me to get only bras that hold a prosthesis.

• ditan3

Val61 ~ Tx so much ~ I'm going to check into these asap.  Off to work....hope you have a terrific day.

• eulabt
    eulabt Member Posts: 29

Thanks MinusTwo! My RX jut says post mastectomy bras. Hope it works.

• fire-dancer

Val - I received a gift card to VS and it was burning a whole in my pocket! :-)  I had wanted to put it towards a swim suit, but like I mentioned they didn't carry them and I feel like I've gotta try on a suit to see what I think, and yes, I like the immediate gratification of buying and walking out with it. Laughing  I have never been a huge online shopper, so I'm just going to have to give it a try & get used to it.  I can see the point about VS not being the same support as some of the other bras, but they are darn cute!  I think I just didn't like that the selection "in-store" wasn't better in my size.  Considering it is a lingerie shop, you'd think they'd cater to more of a range of band sizes...

MBJ & Dawn-Hope, glad to know the returns are easier than I thought, I think I'm going to head over to the other VS store in my area that carries swim wear, see what I think for sizing, and then order away online!!!  Thanks for the tip!

• MBJ

firedancer:  You can always call customer service to get any return charges waived if you have trouble with sizing, too.

• Sandy105
    Sandy105 Member Posts: 160

Megan,

I do not think there is a service charge with on-line orders that need to be returned with VS. You can check to be sure, but the last time I ordered something from them and needed to return it, there was no service charge incurred.

• fire-dancer

MBJ & Sandy - thanks for the tip, it's gonna be like a whole new world of shopping options...I'm gonna get on it - let the online ordering begin!!!

...I sound so "internet-challenged" with that comment Tongue out

• ditan3

Val61 ~ Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would fit into a 34C bra ~ tonight I tried on the Wacoal Awareness 34C and it fit nicely.  I had already purchased the 34B last week so it's not returnable and it's not really comfortable.  I feel like my rt implant is moving towards my armpit with it on ~ which it's not, but I'm guessing it doesn't offer enough support or coverage!?!?.  Other bra's seem to contain the implants better.  I feel like such a clutz about this.  I just don't understand it.  I have done the measuring like Herroom says and my ribcage is 30" (so I take a 34") and my cup size is 8" on one side and 8.5" on the other so I should be a B cup.  How can this be?  The lady at the store said there was no need to measure me last week, as she said I was a perfect 34B ~ but tonight she saw that the 34C fit and didn't say anything.  I give up.  Also tonight I purchased a Triumph Romance super soft bra #1983 size 34C and it fits great ~ at least I think so.....quite the dilema. Oh, I also tried on a Chantelle Icone underwire 3852 34C and it fit well. So I would guess that the 3581 C chic you suggested should also fit. Help!!!

• greytcruise

I had tried on a few bras with TE's and was 34dd at Nordy's.  Thanks for all of the support on bras!

• ditan3

Fire dancer ~ you think you're internet challenged!?!?!?  I finally signed up on the picture forum and even registered while I was at work and now that I'm home figured I'd learn how to set up more of my account and put my pics on there and I can't seem to get into the forum anymore.  I thought I was pretty good w/computers until this.......???  

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436

Ditan3 - i, too, am trying to get to the picture forum but i think it is a multi-step process - first we send the PM requesting access, then the gatekeepers send your the PM with the access info, then you go online and 'register, then the gatekeepers need to grant the final access after they've vetted you as a legit user... I registered Saturday and still am awaiting access (via an email telling me they have completed my registration)... I figure that these ladies work the requests when they can around their families and work...

• ditan3

Vhshea ~ thanks.......I have already been authorized and even registered on the site but had lots of difficulty getting back in.  I think I have the handle on getting back into the site so now I have to learn how to use it properly.  Will tackle that this weekend.  Technologically challenged is me......I recall my parents feeling this way.  Cry 

• ditan3

Okay ~ this is it !!! Tonight I'm going to a place called "Silken Lingerie" and get myself measured again.  I sure do hope they know how to do this properly.  If not I'll have so many bra's that you guys will be able to call me to place orders!!!  Laughing   

I do feel that the underwire bra is much more comfortable than non wire and I'm now 3 weeks out from my ES.  Will get pics posted on the forum as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Just found out that nips are covered by insurance (in Canada) if you get skin grafting but no coverage for tattoos.... is that typical? 

• MBJ

Ditan:  It seems that no one covers tattoos!  I have to pay $300 out of pocket to do mine if I go to my dr's referral.  Ouch!  I so had a feeling you were a different cup size.  Very few people know how to measure for implants.  They are wider.  I imagine you really are a 34C not a B.  It took me a long time to figure out what fits and what doesn't.  I have several bras I may have to donate because I now realize the fit is wrong.  Also, you are not going to be able to wear all bras in that size!  I find only a couple styles work on me and also many, many just don't fit.  Same as before BC.  Enjoy trying them on and embrace the process.  You will finally end up with some that fit.

• ditan3
    MBJ ~ you know, I think I've come to that realization too....I just want to be sure I wear the right one to keep these implants in place and I'm so tired of shopping and not feeling like I'm getting it right. Not to mention the money I'm spending too (although my husband loves it ~ every time I spend $50 on a bra he spends $50 on something to do with the Harley).  I'm going to do my best to make sure it fits properly, is comfortable and make sure it's a good quality product too.  So as you say ~ I can start enjoying the actual process.  Heck ~ I've been an A all my life and now having the opportunity to wear a larger size without padding is simply fantastic!!!  Time to stop being so neurotic about it.  Cool  Thanks so much!!!
  • val61

Hurray for you, ditan!!!  Just like MBJ, I was pretty darn sure you weren't a B-cup.  Very few women who do implant recon would end up a B; the implants are just too wide to fit, that is unless they were REALLY tiny.......   I'm SOOOOO happy for you!   You should be the same size in both Chantelle styles, but try them on, 'cause you just never know for sure.  The Triumph brand isn't easily found here in the US, so I don't know much about it.  I'll look into it, though.   

Ladies:  One thing to remember:  the very best bra for the first few months post-exchange is one WITHOUT padding.  Especially in underwire, you want that wire to snug right up against the implants, and that's impossible to do with even the lightest lining/padding.  That's why I'm such a huge fan of Freya and Fantasie bras, as they make several styles that are unlined.  Wacoal does, too.  The same applies for wireless bras, but it's a bit less of an issue.  

While I'm giving out my completely unsolicited advice.......here's another thought to ponder:  If you have followed the standard advice of adding 4" to your ribcage measurement to get your band size, just TRY going one band size SMALLER and one cup size BIGGER.  It'll be tight at first, but especially if you're on the smaller size of the reference measurements (30" ribcage wearing a 34 bra), it's worth trying.  What will you get?  Yes, a little discomfort at first (which DOES go away, I promise), but most importantly much increased support for the new girls!  Many of the higher end bra boutiques believe that we're wearing bands too big and cups too small, so suggest similar sizing. My ribcage measures just under 28" (about 27 1/2"), and no way am I comfortable in a 32 band bra.  Just something to think about. while you're enjoying the holiday weekend........Cool

And just for reference, my insurance DID cover my tatoos - though I had to pay my PS upfront for them, then get reimbursed.    However you do nips and tats, though, they're COMPLETELY worth it!!     (Now you have my opinions on all kinds of issues!)

• greytcruise

Val61, I love your bra advice.  New issue-been wearing the zip up front surgical cami since Monday.  All week I have been unzipping it to let skin breath.  Today I noticed in cleavage area implants have "ripples or bumps" from the camisole.  I called PS, said ok to put on sports bra. Anyone know if this will go away or what to do?    **Nordstrom has all bras on sale through tomorrow Sat. May 28th and double points!!  I wish I could buy bras now.  I hope you have not been having bad weather.

• MBJ

greytcruise:  Because our skin is thin whatever you are wearing will leave a mark--is this what you are referring to?

• ditan3

Val61 ~ I agree - you guys offer so much information that alone it would be so difficult to make sense of it all.  Can't thank you enough for sharing ~

greatcruise ~ I too get a mark on my skin, depending on the bra I wear.  Thebra's are new so they are tight and hopefully with time will losen a bit.  I hope this is what you're dealing with too.

MBJ ~ I am leaning towards the tatt's for myself and at $300 I think I can save up that kind of cash in 6 months time ~ I just hope the cost is similar here.  My PS is going to give me the name of this tattoo artist that does fabulous work - cant' wait to find out.  Fingers crossed.