Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• ditan3
    ditan3 Member Posts: 35

Minus two ~ Thanks for the info.  I'll check into that for sure.  Hoping to go to yet another store today to check out some Wacoal and Chantelle bras (though I wsish I could find the Natori line here in Canada). Not sure they will have the style I'd like but worth looking into.  I didnt' realize the tips of the bra would be so empty.  I had both nips removed too ~ to be on the safe side.  So will see if they have those Wacoal no peek cheaters while I'm there.  Dents ~ good way to describe them :-)  I am currently wearing a 36B Bestform sports bra from Walmart but would like to find a better quality bra.  That way I can settle in for the long run.  I think I've tried on over 100 so far. 

Maybe someone can help clarify things for me ~ I feel rather stupid about this but want to put it out there.....my measurements dictate that I should wear 34B (30" ribcage with 8" & 8 1/2" implant size).  I try some 34B bra's only to find they are soooo tight that I can barely snap them not to mention breathe and the tips don't fill out.  So I go to a 36B for some relief and the ribcage is better but the cup size is still too big???  I've been told a couple times I should go to a 34C ~  not 36B.  Won't this make the cup size even larger than a 36B?  See ~ this is what happens when you've been an "A" cup most of your life.  Plan to try this method out the next time.... Thanks

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Ditan -- you'll find you wear a larger cup size due to the width of the implant.  So you may need, say, a C cup, but will still look like a B.  A lot of the women here are wearing D and DD and do NOT look that large.  There is a sizing method in the header of this page that Val says will give you a more accurate fix on your size with implants.

• ditan3

Lilah ~ yes I used that sizing method which is what got me to my 34B size ~ but still having difficulty therefore I'm planning to try this 34C to see if that works out.  I was a 34 or 36 padded A most of my life so wearing a 34B is fine with me ~ just want the darn thing to fit properly. Hoping to be able to try on a Wacoal Awareness Contour bra this afternoon ~ 34B and 34C ~

• takeadeepbreath
    takeadeepbreath Member Posts: 68

citykitty---I used to live on Christopher Street (many moons ago---right above the Oscar Wilde Memorial bookstore!)...! btw---was on picture site and saw your photos--your doc did a really, really beautiful job!

Ilene

• ditan3

takeadeepbreath ~ OMG you wont' believe it ~ I found a bra!!!  What a perfect fit, you'd think it was made just for me.  The Wacoal Awareness 34B fit like a glove ~ the sales lady said she has never seen anyone so excited about a bra purchase before...of course after trying on over 50 bra styles to get to this point anyone would be excited.....so please accept my thanks to you all...... whippetmom directed me instantly to that bra, and Ilene, MBJ, firedancer, Lilah, all of you (hope I didn't miss anyone).  I'm sooo excited Laughing  

• takeadeepbreath

Whoo-hoo Wacoal! oh the things that we get excited about these days!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Yay, ditan!!  Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back here, so I'm very happy that our lovely group of sisters helped you out!  That Wacoal Awareness bra is quite popular around here, and it's a good one. 

I was going to explain about sizes, so that our bra newbies can make some sense of this all.  Say you try on a 34B, but the band is too big, yet the cup size is pretty good.  You size down to a 32, but you get a 32C instead.  The deal is, as you decrease the band size, you increase the cup size - and visa versa.  So, I wear a 30DD, but that's the same cup size as a 32D, and a 34C.  Amazing, isn't it?  It's all about ratio and proportion!    And just for the record, reconstructed DD's look NOTHING like natural DD's!  Since implants tend to be wider than natural breasts, we need the bigger cup size to accommodate that width.

Dawne-Hope  - I, too, was very concerned about exposing my very thin-skinned foobs to the sun.  During my TE's, I only wore a bandeau-style top, so that everything was covered. Last summer, I wore fairly low-cut bikini tops, but was super vigilant about sunscreen, and I had no problems, even after a week at the beach.  So, go ahead and flaunt the foobs, girl!!

onestep - I, too, have a very small frame, plus apparently a significantly sloped ribcage (per my PS), so believe me, I'm all about not letting the implants migrate.  My PS had me in an underwire bra (regular, not sports) from about  10 days post-exchange (as soon as my drains came out and I could get professionally fitted.)  It's SOOOOOO important those first few months to keep the implants as IMOBILE as possible so that they'll heal in the correct place.  Underwires do that the very best.

hillck - you asked about when to get fitted.  As I mentioned above, my PS sends his patients for fitting as soon as the drains come out, so that's about a week for most (longer for me 'cause my stupid body just LOVES drains).  Whether your implants will change enough to require a change in size depends on several factors:  type of TE used, if Alloderm was used, extensive pocket work, etc.  I am wearing the same size that I was initially fitted.  Hope that helps!

Lillian - hey, fellow Texas sister!  To answer your question about bras, once again there are different opinions.  My PS did NOT allow bras during TE's - only little bralettes or camis - because he wanted no pressure from the band to push the TE's up (he uses the short-height TEs, so the idea is to not expand the pecs).  However, after exchange, he's ALL ABOUT bras.  Requires them 24/7 for a minimum of 3-4 months.  Underwire, worn VERY snugly.  Yes, it's not at all pleasant, but then again, neither is a revision to fix a migrating implant!  

What most of us have discovered, is that we're frankly not comfortable WITHOUT a bra after exchange.  Although I have absolutely nothing to relate to pre-bc, as I was flat as a board, the implants are heavy.  Even when I'm in a wireless bra, I still get pains from where my pocket work was done 19 months ago.  (Which incidently I asked my PS about today, and he said was not unexpected.....lovely, no?)   

Joan - Welcome!  Don't worry, sweetie.....I doubt that any damage was done! Wink   Besides, several PS's require massaging the implants, so you're just getting a little help!   That being said, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go easy for the next couple of months while the capsule heals around the implants.  That's what gives us a lot of our support, plus determines their placement, so you wouldn't want to mess around with that!

I hope that greytcruise is resting and healing from your exchange yesterday!Smile

Okay.......enough from me, my sweet friends.  I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!  I'm determined to figure out how to get email alerts on my new fancy phone so I can keep up better.  Wish me luck!

• Val, No, I'm actually undergoing a PBMX (see I'm learningLaughing) on June 14'th and that will then be the start gate for me.  My PS has said he will put in TE's  as long as they don't find any cancerous cells in the tissue-and I've been very closely followed for the last 6 years, so I'm hoping they won't.  Then the whole reconstruction process begins. I think after hearing the first 15 minutes or so with my PS (it was a 2hour visit), my brain just shut down...so I'm trying to put the pieces together here.  I will see him again before the surgery so I want to have my list of questions in order (and I will be bringing a "second set of ears-i.e. a friend) with me this time.

Pat

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Pat - Take a mini-voice recorder with you too.  It's nice to be able to replay the doc's words. 

Love & hugs! 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Ditan -- wahoo that is great!  I love the Wacoal bras.  I have several :)

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

I went to Nordstrom's yesterday (the closest is about an hour away). The fitter confirmed that they will cover bras through Aetna if I can get a rx from the doctor. I'm about 4 weeks post-exchange and she said they look good so far, but recommended waiting another 4 weeks to get bras (other than sports bras), since I haven't dropped and still look a little swollen. (I think what she thought was swelling is just the upper pole fullness that the PS thought was desirable.) She said she will fit me in demis that push a little bit closer together to give the cleavage. So I took her card and will contact the PS to take advantage of that opportunity. Those bras are pretty pricey and if I can get a few through my insurance, that will help a lot. I'm disappointed to continue wearing the sports bras though, because I can't wear any of my usual clothes, since the sports bras tend to have high scoop necks or crossover straps that hug the neckline. Just for fun, I did try to put on one of my old bras, and yeah, no they didn't fit. LOL. 

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436

JoanDavis - great info re: RX for the bras... definitely worth pursuing. thanks!

• kle
    kle Member Posts: 9

Want to give a  bra recommendation.  Just bought the Warner's Invisible Bliss style # 2055.( invisible under T-shirts).very comfortable and smooth looking, and makes my unevenness look even!

kle

• Sandy105
    Sandy105 Member Posts: 160

Does this bra have underwire?

• kle
    kle Member Posts: 9

Nope it is wireless, I'm a wirless type of girl!

kle

• val61

hillck - Today is your day, girl!!  You're gonna have fabulous foobies!!  And just FYI:  I had TONS of pocket work done, both at my exchange, then even more with my revision, but was right into that underwire bra after the drains.  Fingers crossed for you!    Please pop in when you feel like it!!         Also, it's doubtful your PS would use any more Alloderm at your exchange, unless he found a tear in the original sheet.  That stuff is ridiculously expensive, so it's not just thrown in on a whim.  And besides, you'd have had to sign an informed consent to use it again.   

Hope you all have a beautiful week!  I ordered a couple new bras AND a couple new bikinis over the weekend, so it'll be a REALLY good week for me!  Smile

• takeadeepbreath

Sandy--I have also been singing the praises of Warners Bliss bras too, tho I am wearing style # 2003 (think it was called Elements of Bliss)...no wire and agree --it has great support and seems to help even things out (I have a pic of it up on the site) or here is link:

http://www.barenecessities.com/warners-elements-of-bliss-lightly-padded-contour-bra--2003_product.htm?pf_id=Warners2003

Ilene

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - more bras for you?  How many do you have now?  You might have to build a new room to hold them all!!  Enjoy!!  - Valerie

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Ditan:  Just stopping by and saw that you found a bra that fit-Yay!!!!

• Sandy105

Ilene,

Thank you so much. I have to have an underwire and finding ones that are comfortable is not an easy job! I have a couple but would love to find other suggestions for others that might also work!

I am a 36 DD or sometimes can wear a 38 D - it all depends on the fit.

Hugs, Sandy

• ditan3
    MBJ ~ Thanks ~ I found that Wacoal bra and it fit the second I put it on.  Funny thing though~ yesterday I had to change into my sports bra cuz I keep getting this feeling of my right implant migrating to my armpit and it was really bothering me.  The change made me feel better.  Not sure what's going on there.....my PS said because the rt TE migrated there he was going to stitch a pocket to make sure the implant stayed in a pocket.  So not sure I have phantom foob or something weird going on........see the PS tomorrow (first time since May 9th,  so can't wait to find out.  Cool
  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,275

hillck:  Hope everything went well today.

My PS doesn't believe in bras either but I got my oncologist to write me the Rx.  And my Gyn volunteered also.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

I am envious of all of you and your bras.  I cannot wait to be able to shop for bras.  I did have to go get a few more pair of Spanx yesterday(insurance won't cover), to keep my lypo'd area from moving, hard to be in Nordstrom seeing all of the bras, but not able to try on yet.  I am wearing a C/D surgical cami, I like wearing the surgical cami it is nice.  My PS said bras in 4 weeks.  My prescription was for a percentage of the cost of the bras, not full coverage, but anything is a help.  I am having a hard time keeping up with all of the bras, but I am making a list so when I can go shopping...

• Sandy105

Just to make sure you know, ANY portion of your bras or camis that are not covered by insurance are tax deductible on your federal taxes. Also, keep your receipts so you will have documentation of what you spent. I have heard that insurance companies, even Medicare, will pay for a certain amount for bras EACH year! It is my understanding they will pay the same amount each additional year as was paid the first year for bras need to be replaced.

• eulabt
    eulabt Member Posts: 29

Hi everyone. What do I ask my PS to write the Rx for? I forgot to ask mu oncologist yesterday and am going to the PS tomorrow. i am having the hardest time finding a comfortable bra and I do not have a Nordstroms near me.

• val61

Hey, eulabt!  Welcome!  Not having done the prescription thing myself, I'm not sure, but someone will chime in.  I'm guessing that your PS simply uses a prescription blank and writes the kind of bra he/she requires and perhaps the number.  It sure does help with the cost if your insurance does cover bras, though!

Valerie - Alas, yes.....it's entirely possible that my abundance of brassieres may cause some storage issues, especially in an old house like ours......but heck, my dh doesn't really need an entire drawer just to hold his boxers, does he? Wink   One and a half bikinis arrived today, so I'll report when I try them on later.  I think one's a Freya, and the other a Fantasie.  No bras, yet....backorderedFrown.

Diane - good that you're in touch with what your body is doing.  Yes, they can and will migrate.....I can personally attest to that.  Just make sure that whatever bra you're wearing doesn't allow ANY movement of the implants right now.  That means up and down or side to side.  Hopefully your PS checked everything out today and all is well.  Let us know!

greytcruise - Hang in there, girl!  You'll get there!

I saw my PS last Friday for my 3-month check up.  (This was the longest interval since I started my recon - he's had me come in every 2 months til now.)   I asked him about the pain I had a couple weeks ago.....pain along my right side IMF where he revised the pocket from my TE when I wore an wirefree sports bra all day....and guess what he said?   He said it wasn't unusual or surprising that I'd have pain twinges this far out (20 months) from my exchange.  He said that I just needed to listen to my body, and it would tell me what it needed.  Well, I guess my body needs underwire sports bras!

Have a good evening!  Happy to hear that all went well for you, Cindy!

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

eulabt - ask for a rx for post-mastecomy bras.  Nordstrom actually had my PS fax over another script that had no actual number of bras on it.  The first one sent had a limit of 2, but Nordstrom's said that typically if your insurance covers them, it could be more than that, so better to not be limited by an actual number on the script.  Good Luck!

Val - glad to hear all is going well re: post-op visits!  It is also reassuring to know that twinges could still happen as far out as you are from exchange, when we worry about every feeling/twinge, it's nice to hear it's more than likely normal.

I think I am noticing the settling in of my implants.  I am about 9 weeks out and things seem to be changing a bit, for the better!  My rippling I had noticed, albeit minor at the beginning seems to be much less, could this be from the implants "filling out"? Whatever it is I am happy about the result.  I still have a minor divot/shelf on one side that doesn't bother me terribly, but when I go in next month to see my PS I will ask about it.  I kind of went with the whole "evaluate after 3 months" mantra and have made no emergency appts with PS, everything looks normal and I am trying to be patient.

hillck - glad surgery went well! keep resting and hope all is going well!

greytcruise - soon you'll be shopping away!  I know it's hard to wait, great idea to go with bra ideas ahead of time!

Have a great evening, everyone!

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436

Val - you and your bras are out of control - rofl! 

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Val61 - I am also thinking of more bras.

I just received a VS catalog and they have a few "Dream Angel" bras that are actually in my size and on sale. Does any one have this style. They are underwired and even have a yellow and magenta in them. They are on sale and I have found that returns are quite easy with VS.

Today I had follow-up with PS to remove stitches from under my armpits. He took some skin, fat and lipomas out on each side a week and a half ago. At the time I was put into my cotton sports bra that hooks up the front. Today I had a lace mastectomy bra on and RN made comment that she noticed I was back to my " pretty" bras. I told PS I needed to get back to my underwired pretty ones and he told me I could wear them. Guess I am turning him around on underwires and DH and I decided that most of their patients must not wear pretty and sexy bras -at least at the office. Will keep all informed on the VS bras. I only have an IPEX in VS am not really happy with it's fit.

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

I just came from VS and for kicks had the lady measure me...34 C, hmmm at Nordstrom's I was measured a 32 DD and since then have purchased elsewhere in that size and they fit like a glove, sorry VS, you're measurments are wacky! :-)

I must say I wasn't impressed with their selection for 32 DD's.  Or 32D's for that matter...there was practically NOTHING, especially those cute little numbers, you know, bright colors, or the gingham prints (MBJ, you told me about those, I think - I wound up buying the teal and hot pink today :-).  I went with a 34 D and it felt good,  although I am worried to keep them because I am using the middle clasps instead of the furthest away one, which is where you should start, right?  So all in all I left less than impressed and might end up returning for fear of being in the "wrong" size.  Like I said, I felt secure and comfy, but I only have one clasp left...also, I wanted to try on a bathing suit to figure my size for ordering online and the VS I went to had NONE - so an un-satisfying shopping trip even though I came home with two cute bras...I just felt like there should have been more options for my size...bummer!!!

What are your thoughts?  Should I return them and order online instead?  Do you measure differntly brand to brand, especially at VS?  I am so impatient, though!  Like I said the band felt snug, I was defintley "in place", but I know my true size would be a 32 instead...wierd how hard a 32 band is to come by, I never noticed at the stores till now, wherever I've looked recently at bras, the 32's are pretty scarce...