Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• ditan3
    ditan3 Member Posts: 35

Hey there.....need some assistance.  I've just spent the last 2 days in search of a bra that might fit.  Also just read about 20 pages of this site but thought I'd take a short cut and just ask you.  I am now 10 days out from my exchange surgery and I belive I should be wearing a sports bra.  I have notes on the bra's that you have purchaced online (Wacoal Awareness sounds wonderful) ~ and you say you have no problems returning them until you find the right one.  I now live in Canada and the shipping isn't nearly as easy when you live here.  I have chosen to stay small ~ 34B so not sure if that is adding to my dilemma ~ everyone seems to be a larger size.  Any help you can provide to direct me would be greatly appreciated. 

• takeadeepbreath
    takeadeepbreath Member Posts: 68

Hi Diane-

I am a 34B post exchange also...I have the danskin zip bra that I sometimes wear to sleep but it is too much material for daily wear. I am almost 24/7 in Warners Elements of Bliss Bra (style #2003-no underwire) . I started wearing them starting day 5 post op...they are around $25 on line but half that in discount stores down here like TJ Maxx.  They give nice cleavage and shape- very soft, lightly padded and comfortable and I feel like there is really good coverage/support. See link:  http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?

Ilene 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

ditan3:  Many of us found that the bra sizes we wore before, even if we stay small, no longer work because the implants are wider.  Have you tried going down in bra size and up in the cup size?  I was wearing 36B's and now wear 34D', DD's or 36C or D. The width changes everything.

• ditan3

Ilene ~ thanks so much for the info ~ I truly appreciate it.  I'm going to go back to the Bay to see if I can find anything else.  I live in NS Canada and many of the online places don't ship to this country &/or even if they did, it takes nearly 2 wks to get anything here after the border sits on it for a few days (they don't call it snail mail for nothing)   :-(  But I do like their line so hopefully I can find something - I've written down the #'s of 4 Warner bras including the Elements of Bliss.  My mother even offered to bring a few bras to me when she comes to visit in June.  (she's in NH)  I feel like I live in outer space with all the difficulty........ thanks again

• ditan3

MBJ ~ yes, I understand ~ I was a 34 or 36A and now I've found that I mostly wear a 34B or 36B depending on the bra.  Saturday I tried on a Triumph sports bra 34B ~ fits great but has a seam which whippetmom says is a no no ~ yesterday I tried on a Triumph sports bra 34B and it was soooooo tight I could hardly hook the snaps and breathe and the cups wrinkled a little bit at the front!?!?!?   I just seem to be hitting brick walls ~ once I find a bra that fits, I think I'll buy a dozen of them :-)   

• MBJ

ditan:  Do you have Victoria's Secret in your area?  I love all of their Angels and Body by VS wireless and also the Ipex wireless.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

All this talk about bikinis ... today was the last day of my class in the city & thus my last time to be at Nordstroms for awhile so of course I had to go! 

I haven't worn a bikini since I was eighteen ... but you gals got me thinking ... I tried on a Tommy Bahama (?? is that the right name) bikini and I didn't look as bad in it as I thought I would!  :)  It was crazy expensive ... $76 for the top and $66 for the bottoms ... whoa!  But I have a question:

It was a halter top bikini and while it didn't show my scars ... there was some of the top of the foobs that were exposed.  Is it OK for the top part of our implants to be exposed to the sun?  I have really thin skin and I wasn't sure if that was OK or not??

I did go to VS and look at their bikinis ... and some of those push-up bikinis ... look out!  You ladies are going to knock 'em dead in those tops!  :)))

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Here's a link to the Tommy Bahama Bikini.  The bottoms were so cute!  Thanks for the tip on the tie to the side.  world of difference!  just so 'no' to muffin top!  :)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tommy-bahama-swim-underwire-halter-bikini-top/2956750?origin=related-2956750-0-0-1

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Dawn-Hope, I think the scars are what needs sun protection. Every day I generously apply Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion - the formula with SPF 15.  All over the chest and neck. I feel it's important even if you're not in direct sun, because the sun is sneaky that way. I don't trust my clothes to protect me.

So yeah, just definitely keep the scars slathered in sunblock, and covered by your clothes or swimsuit, or your scars will basically become permanent.

The top part of your implants can see sunlight (otherwise California beaches would have to shut down, heh heh) but I'd definitely use lots of sunblock. 

• MBJ

Dawne-Hope:  That is a really cute halter bikini top!  You should be fine but I think the most important part besides covering the scars is not to let your skin get burnt to a crisp!  Wear lots of sunscreen and I think you will be fine!

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

Hillick and Cameron, I will let you know how my e-day goes, I am in 2 days.  Hillick congrats on being able to cut your hair, I am looking forward to that day.  Great info on the Aveeno and VS, I did not think I would be able to shop at VS anymore.  Can't wait till get ok to go bra shopping, VS here I come, wish I could use the coupon I got in the mail now though.  I can't wait for new sexy bras.  I am going for the California look with my foobs-hope I get it.  I hope I have to shop for new bikinis too! So glad so many of you are having fun.

• ditan3
    MBJ ~ I just checked and no we don't have any VS here.  It's crazy ~ I'm less than 6 hrs from the Maine border and I feel like I'm thousands of miles away.  Anyhow, I'm going to venture out again today to Sears, (Ilene advised me of Warners Elements of Bliss #2003) and also check out La Senza (which is similiar to VS) so hopefully I can get something for work on Tuesday. I understand that I'm only 13 days out ES and these implants may change shape somwhat but I don't think that they will change enough to alter the size of the bra ~ will they?  Wish me luck and thanks much to all of you for all your input.  Cool
  • onestep
    onestep Member Posts: 106

Good morning, I am panicking a little bit and any feedback I appreciate. I can't believe my exchange surgery is in a couple days and am going to be approx. a 36b-c (I think). I have had the fills and am "at capacity" as there is not much skin to work with (I have a small frame). I am looking for the proper bra that pushes to the middle because I was a very small bra size to begin with, thus they tend to want to go towards my arms. I just read back what I wrote and it sounds crazy, but hope it is described right. I read the opening note on this thread which is so helpful, but given the details above wondering if there is anymore specific advice. PS did not have any. Thanks for any input.

• MBJ

ditan3:  Did you post your measurements so that we can confirm your bra size?  I had alot of swelling due to Alloderm being used and I went down a bit but only one of my earlier bras are a bit big-everything else is true to size.  The most important thing is to make sure the underwire or no wire area is completely encapsulating the breast, not cutting it off or distorting it.  the tshirt bras might be best for you as they have a bit of foam padding and are more forgiving in the cup then an unlined bra.  Good luck with your bra hunt--you will find some!  I tried on a ton until I found out what worked for me.

greytcruise:  What is the Califronia look?  Congratulations on almost being there!  You must be very excited!!!

onestep:  Most of us were in a sports bra the first few weeks.  We all seemed to have some form of zip front as this was the easiest to get in and out of.  Wallgreens, JCPenney, Nordstrom--all have them in every price range. 

• onestep
    onestep Member Posts: 106

Thank you all for the info and well wishes. Thanks. Talk soon. :)

• ditan3

MBJ ~ Measurements ~ I'm 30" ribcage so I guess that brings me to 34" bra (however I can fit in both 34 or 36 bra's depending on the bra) and implant size is 8" the other side is 8'5" (I have found that B cup bra's fit me the best so far).  The PS stated that one side was swollen, but that being said, it's still off by about 1/2".  I did find a couple bra's but not the Warners #2003 that I was hoping to get.  It fits but one of my implants has a flat spot on the front so it bothers me to wear a bra that will show that.  (it's probably not noticable to everyone but I feel uncomfortable with it being there).  I hope my PS can advise of why it's there and how to change it if that is even possilbe. 

• MBJ

ditan3:  I had the flat front in the beginning and after a few months it went away.  I wiould try and find the more padded bras (not push up just foam lined) like you find in many of the t-shirt bras because it will fill in that area.  We all have a bit of that with recon as their isn't the nipple projection.  This can be addressed with fat grafting later.  Good luck bra hunting.  I am a 30" ribcage too, and 34 is the best size for us.  Better to be slightly too tight then to be too comfortable as it will completely stretch out and be too big later and pretty quickly at that.  I do find sometimes that certain bras are just made smaller and then a 36 is fine-just make sure it fits only on the first hook.  It will stretch as you wear it.

• takeadeepbreath

Ditan-you and I are exactly the same measurements...right down to the 30" 8/8.5 and also have an indentation on the front--horizontal---if I stand up super staright and pull my shoulders back (which is almost never), it is not really noticeable, The Warners bra seems to push enough in on the sides that the indent is not apparent when I am in the bra. When they are "untethered" and I am hunching it looks like someone left a thumbprint.

At the risk of sounding nuts....why don't you let me see if my local TJs still had the #2003 in our size (34b) and I will mail them up to you. I will try and check tomorrow after work, last week they had a load of them and they were very inexpensive.  If the bras don't work, you can donate them to charity. Cool? I will let you know if I find them and you can pm me your address.

Ilene

• ditan3

MBJ ~ thanks so much for that info.  It really makes me fell soooooooo much better.  I am sitting here thinking that I'm destined to have this flat spot forever.  And you're right about the size bra.  I got a cheaper one that is a 36" and it does tend to stretch.  My Triumph 34" was tight at first (and it's cotton) and now it's very comfortable.  Thank goodness for you gals being there....

• ditan3

takeadeepbreath ~ Ilene ~ well how do you like that?  The same measurements.  That is so cool.  And the same problem too.......what kind of implants did you get?  Just curious. 

No, you don't sounds nuts ~ just a very thoughtful and wonderful person.  Thank you so very much for offering to go to TJ's for me.  Thing is, I can get the #2003 34B bra here, I just don't feel comfortable in it as the flat spot shows too much for me.  I can assure you if it goes away (like it did for MBJ) I'll buy a few of them.  Sears carries them here for $30 - not on sale so I can get it anytime.  I just have to feel better about it.  I think I feel better with a more padded/foam lining.  I do miss TJ Maxx & Marshalls though ~ use to go there all the time ~ and Macy's too.  Great sales. 

What part of NY do you live in?  We were sure to visit Manhatten 3 times before we moved here.  I just love the energy and the people there.  Hence I told my husband I'd have no problem moving to Toronto ~ but he's a country (Harley) guy so that probably won't happen.  :-) 

• ditan3

Whippetmom ~ I sent you PM ~

• takeadeepbreath

ditan3-ah!-misread your post (or maybe I was just looking for another excuse to hit TJ's!)..thought you couldn't find the Warners up by you!

We live in in downtown Manhattan...Chelsea. Raised a couple of city boys...I love living here.

I too am hoping as things settle in the "thumbprint" somhow fills itself in. I am in Natrelle 20's...350 on one side, 375 on the side that had biopsies (NSM with incision under the fold). I was a slightly lopsided, small A to begin with. I see the PS for my one month follow-up on monday, so I will make sure to slouch so he sees exactly what I am talking about! I also think one side seems lower/fuller than the other. Maybe I should just toss out my mirrors for the next few months, might free up quite a bit of time in my day!

I've got to get some pictures posted this weekend. I have the whole journey documented (and in the photos you can definitely tell there is a dent and one seems bigger). Guess I should toss the camera along with the mirrors? Oh, and the scale too!

• Lillian
    Lillian Member Posts: 12

I'm having my exhange surgery in a few weeks.  It seems that the consensus here is to wear a bra.  My PS said it doesn't matter one way or the other (so I'm thinking I might as well wear one).

He also told me that it didn't matter one way or the other after the tissue expanders were put in.  I've been walking around with no bra for months, loving it, and not having any problems.

My question: For those of you whose PS told you to wear a bra, did they also tell you to wear a bra with your TE?  Or did they think no bra was okay during TE but that you do need them after the implants?

• ditan3

Ilene ~ OMG you make me laugh.  Toss out the mirrors ~ toss our the camera too!!!  Laughing  I'm with you.......I think we should both toss them out.  And you live right in downtown Manhattan!?!?!?  I'm really jealous now...I can only imagine what living there must be like.  Good for you.  I tell my husband that moving to Nova Scotia makes me feel like Zsha Zsha Gabore in Green Acres ~ all we're missing is Arnold the pig!!!  Hey, ..I just checked and we are similar in age too. I'm 52 ~ go figure. 

I see my PS on Tuesday (Monday is Canada's Holiday - they call it Victoria Day) and I already have my list of questions for him.  It will be 2 & 1/2 weeks post exchange for me.  I too have one larger than the other ~ the smaller side is my delayed construction.  It also migrated towards the armpit so that was really a pain.  Now I feel like I have phantom foob ~ I keep grabbing that boob to move it away from my armpit, but it's not near my armpit.  Also have some numbness near the cleavage of that side too.  I wonder if the skin was too tight?  My PS had to over fill that Expander to 390 as it wasn't expanding as well.  The recent Mx side was only filled to 360.  I was hoping for 325cc implants but he said he had difficulty placing the 300's in the pocket.  Doesn't make sense to me.   Hope both of our appointments go well.  Let me know. 

Hey,  I just got an response from Whippetmom and she says I look just fine for 2 wks out ~ so now she's made my day!!!  It's so nice to get some good news. 

Whippetmom ~ thanks so much for your kind words!!!  

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

I'm about four weeks post-exchange and still wearing sports bras. I don't have a Nordstrom's nearby (the closest is about an hour away), so I've been hesitant to buy a bra because I really want to be fitted properly. I did try on a bra in Walmart when I picked up the sports bras, and it was a C cup but it had empty space in the front of the cup because my foob was still kind of flat. I will have to check the t-shirt bras though. So, if I can't have a professional fitter help me, what am I aiming for in the proper fit? I want to make sure I'm helping the implant settle correctly and not cut off anything that needs support. Oh, I had a bit of a freak out (sorry if this is TMI), but my BF squeezed my foobs during sex, a little hard I thought. I hope I'm just being paranoid, but I think it's too soon to be squeezing them. Reassure me please that there's no permanent damage and that when they are all healed, they won't pop or something if we get a little exuberant...

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,275

Lillian:  I had BMX 2/15/11.  I'm still in TEs & I too see the consensus appears to be yes - bras. Darn.  I was so excited that I might be able avoid bras after BC w/o the sagging aging hippie look I had before.  My PS says I don't need a bra any time - now or after exchange - but so far I'm not comfortable going to work or even the store w/out some covering.  Using bralettes - like a sports bra but tank style instead of racer back - expensive bamboo at Nordies for $42 or reasonable Fruit of the Loom at WalMart - 3 for $10.  WalMart also has spagetti strap style.

Ditan3:  For that blank space in the front of the cup, I've used "cheaters" called "No Peek" by Wacol - set of 2 for $12.00.  I have no nips but what the hey.  Obviously not needed with bralettes, but definitely helps hide the dents when I wear the real bras I bought.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Hello, my sweet bra friends!  OMG, do I ever owe y'all a BIG apology!  I've been out of town - went to a conference in CO with my dh (horrible weather, though) - and I was so proud of myself checking on y'all with my fancy new phone.  Well.......somehow, I guess I clicked "remove email notification" and the rest is history.  I was wondering why the thread was so quiet......now I know.....it was just my technology-challenged self that made my PHONE quiet! 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    I just got back from teaching my aerobics class and need to work on dinner, but I promise to answer your questions as soon as I can!Smile
  • citykitty
    citykitty Member Posts: 44

takeadeepbreath -- Hi, I didn't realize you lived so close to me!  If you go stand over on West Side Highway, say, at the end of Christopher Street, I can wave to you from across the Hudson River, LOL.

I'm about 4 weeks post exchange and am muddling through with a combination of bras.  I have two the PS gave me with a zip front -- very comfortable, but the cups wrinkle and flatten me out.  I sleep in one of them and alternate the other with the couple of sports bras I already owned that were long enough not to irritate my IMF incision.  I did find a front-hook Danskin plunge bra at WM, but the racerback style makes it difficult to wear with many tops because the straps fit like a halter.  I bought one other sports bra but will probably return it; just not quite what I had in mind.

I sure can't wait till I can wear a regular bra again!  Three more weeks of loose tops, jackets, and scarves!

• ditan3

Oops !!! 

Sorry ~ my mistake, Monday, May 23rd is Canada's Victoria Day ~