Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• shannonW
    shannonW Member Posts: 17

ditan3~

Have u tried Ebay for the Wacoal bra if u kno the style # u want? I'm a seller  too and many Ebayers will ship to Canada. A small item like a bra should only be a few dollars more that US shipping. I'm watching a Wacoal bra on Ebay  now for about $24 incl. S&H. It was one recommended earlier in this forum. The thing is I"m prolly jumping the gun...I'm only 2 days post exchange and already dreaming of regular bras! I'll b in Chicago this coming w/e and plan to go for a fitting at Nordstrom's. . May be too early but gonna try it anyway. Think I'm a 36C but just wanna make sure.

• ditan3
    ditan3 Member Posts: 35

Shannon ~ thanks I forgot about Ebay....and I plan to go that route when I take more "me" time to find the right quality bra for me.  At least I've finally found a place here in Bedford, NS that carries a few great names.  Thanks for the reminder though.  I have about 10 bra's that I've purchased since my ES and even had to clear out a drawer to place them in.  Never had this much interest or fun in bra's in my life.  Laughing

I would go to Nordstroms anyhow ~ it's a great feeling to be at this stage of the game so take full advantage of the natural high ~ you deserve it.  You're very lucky to be in Chicago ~ they have everything there.  Congrats on your exchange!!!  I hope you're happy with the outcome and all goes smoothly for you.  Regarding size ~ I've been a padded A all my life w/no cleavage and wanted to be a full A or small B.....now I have cleavage ~ yipeeeeee (and with Val61's suggestion) and some of the other gals too, I've tried and I'm finding I wear a 34C more often than not!?!?!  Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen ~ I keep thinking I'm going to wake up one morning and this will all be a dream.....

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

ditan:  You can also PM Facecrafter here on BCO for a recommendation for a tattoo artist in your area.

• ditan3
    ditan3 Member Posts: 35

MBJ ~ really?  I had no idea........I will definitely do that.  Thanks so much!!! 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

greytcruise- I wouldn't worry too much....honestly.  Perhaps MBJ is right and it's our expanded, thin skin.......whatever the cause, it happens to me, too.  I remember calling my PS's nurse in a panic after wearing my bra for the first day because I had red marks all along the inside edge where the cups were.  She said it was to be expected, and I've moved on.  Now that I think about it, perhaps it's because we have no layer of fat under our skin to absorb some of the "impact" from the bra.  Makes sense to me, at least......       Thanks for asking about our storms.  It was CRAZY here last week - two days with golfball-size hail - but thankfully our house and cars all survived.

ditan - yes, your bras will loosen up a good bit!  That's part of the reason that I advise to err on the snug side; that way you don't end up with a bra that's too big and doesn't do its job.   And yes, do PM Facecrafter;  she's a beautiful woman (I met her last fall in Vegas during the Ta Ta Sisterhood Reunion) and she knows her stuff, and will certainly be able to connect you with someone in your area.  Better yet, come to Vegas with us this year and she might do them there for you!

Shannon- Congratulations on your exchange and WELCOME to our little group!  I'm originally from IN.......Smile.....grew up in Indy  (great race today!) and my youngest son goes to college in Chicago!   I don't think it's too early to get fitted......I was fitted as soon as my drains came out and have stayed the same size.....just don't buy out the store in case you DO experience some change!

I hope y'all are enjoying a wonderful holiday weekend!  Be safe and put sunscreen on the "new girls!"

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

ShannonW, congratulations on your exchange surgery!  Does anyone know if there will be another TaTa reunion, would love to try to meet up with all of you.  Val61, yes, my surgical bra left a mark in my cleave from the zipper, but it also made bumps or groves in my implants the side that is cleaveage and some under my bra band, is this normal?  Glad you didn't have storm damage.  Yes, Shannon great race today.  I was at Nordy's yesterday getting a few more sport bras and another pair of Spanx and wouldn't measure me for bras yet, as she said they are really going to change between now and 3 weeks from now. Told me to be patient and wait for PS ok before buying or trying on bras.  Just hanging out at home recovering.  Everyone enjoy the weekend.

• val61

greytcruise - Yes, the 3rd Ta Ta Reunion is already set!  Check out the thread under "Get-Togethers" for info.  I personally don't care for Vegas in the least - just not my kind of place - but I'm going back just because of the amazing women from BCO!  I knew I had to go last year, because I wanted to thank in person so many who had helped me through those dark months after my dx.  I'm going back again this year, because I now consider many of them to be friends!   We'd love to have you- and anybody else -  join us!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Hi Val,  QUESTIONS!  Innocent

So E-day was last Monday, one week ago.  I realize there is a lot of changing yet to happen.  BUT I feel pretty strongly that my boobs need to be encapsulated. My PS has me in a surgical bra for compression.  It is a decent compression, but it cannot place any pressure on the inside (medial?) curves of my implants, it doesn't touch that area. It simply compresses inward, and then my cleavage area is left to do whatever it wants with no guidance. It's a special concern on my right side because there is a small area that feels like a hollow bubble which is misshapen in comparison and needs encouraging to be round.

Last night I wore a different sporty bra which has more shape to it, and then my surgical bra over that bra. I felt super supported! I noticed the hollow bubble area is already looking better today.  I just feel that area needs compression, and in the surgical bra, it is getting the opposite encouragement.  It needs even support coming at it in all directions, and it's getting NO help at the moment.

On the pic forum whippetmom said she wants me pushing these puppies inward, and I agree. But in addition to lateral support/compression, I think I need encapsulation.

I scheduled an appt. with the surgical fitter at Nordstrom for Thursday.  My local Nordies is at the freakin' Mall of America so it'll be smashing I'm sure!  A few days ago I tried on a Wacoal, style 65191, in a 34 D.  It seemed to be the perfect encapsulation but I'm not buying ONE thing without a stamp of approval.

So that's the situation. My first post-op is tomorrow!!!  Yay!  I love my PS.  I'm trying to decide how to break it to him that I want to wear underwire...NOW, not 12 weeks from now! Maybe I should just tell him everything I told you!

So here are my questions: if I need major lateral support, can that even be achieved with underwire?  Maybe I'll do underwire for day and maximum control sports bra by night? I found a HUGE selection of Champion sports bras at my local sporting goods store (duh, right?) but the only ones I liked were too hard to get on and off. NO kidding, I thought I was trapped in it. The "over the head, now how am I supposed to hook it" kind, that are too tight to shimmy into feet first. I thought there must be a better choice!

Is there a "best sports bra" to provide both encapsulation and compression? Can I get in it without a can-opener, and out of it without a shoehorn? Am I asking a lot here or what? LOL

Thanks for your help Val, and anyone else is welcome to add their advice too!  Kiss

-Cameron 

• MBJ

Cameron:  I always look forward to your posts as you always make me laugh!  I would try bringing the bra you want to wear so the PS can see that you are not hurting the implant but supporting it.

• Cameron

Bwahh ha HA Cindy I was worried about you so I sent you a PM...I had no idea you were simply BLISSED OUT in a puddle on the floor, surrounded by a PILE of new bras!

Now I'm picturing you collapsed on the floor, surrounded by shopping bags and bras, and your eyes spinning like pinwheels, basically in a coma with happiness...man how did you DEAL when I was gone for days after E-Day?  This was pure torture!  LOL 

BUT I'M GLAD YOU ARE OKAY!  HA HA!!! 

edited to add:  AND you ended your post with a "Wheeee!" how perfect! lol  

As you can see from my giant post up above there, you and I both have bras on the brain, E-day buddy! 

• MBJ

Cindy:  I know just how you feel.  Have fun and post them on Lilah's bra thread on the picture forum!!!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

My favorite everyday bra is the Freya 'Eleanor.'  Freya has discontinued it!  Undecided  I caved last night and ordered a couple of new Freya bras, 'Alexa' and 'Eloise.'  I'll keep you all posted on how they fit.  I've bought up all the 'Eleanor' 30D's on ebay so I'm hoping these work!

With summer here I'm looking for tan/white 30D t-shirt bras.  I'm having trouble finding ones that will work under white shirts.  A lot of them are wild colors and I need a smooth cup in 30band.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

hillck - Congratulations!!!!!  If someone had told me two years ago that I would find it fun spending two hours trying on bras in an upscale lingerie department I would have thought they were crazy!  I'm with you sister!  Enjoy it! Laughing

cameron - Keep us posted on how you do at Nordstrom's!  I got stuck in a cross-strap sports bra ... didn't think it was possible ... but leave it to me!  Embarassed  On the pic forum, bra thread, val posted pics on how to get one on.  Still can't do it!  Not because her pics weren't helpful ... just that I'm not that coordinated!  Good luck at Nordie's! 

• Estel

Cindy - You did get it right!  I've bought some white VS bras ... 32C and I have a couple of others in a 32 band that are white and tan ... but I've pain in my left side since my DMX ... it is mostly gone ... but I find when I wear the 32 bands ... in about 3-4 hours I'm hurting.  I need the support of the 30 band, I guess.  Frustrating!  I'm hoping since that pain has gotten better with time that eventually it was totally go away ... but until then ... I need something that I can wear for 8-12-15 hours and not have to come home and change!  You totally got the size right 30D = 32C.  Thanks! 

• Estel

Cindy - You'll be an expert soon enough!  Laughing  You've already learned bunches, right?!  :)

It is the same problem even on the tightest hook.  The Freya 30 bands encapsulate (surround) the implant perfectly where the VS 32 band is there ... but it doesn't surround it completely all around.  It isn't tight and I feel less supported which for me, means pain. Make sense? 

You never quite know what you're getting on ebay.  They say they're new ... but I've ordered a couple of tried and true and when I received them they just felt 'off.'  Maybe they were irregulars ... so I wouldn't try to buy ones on e-bay that you haven't at least tried on once at Nordstroms or wherever first.  Unless you're willing to gamble!  Wink

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

I have a Nordy's sports bra that has hooks in front, holds me in on the sides-price was $24 or $28.00.  I too have rippling in the middle of implants where cleavage is so I got rid of the surgical cami for the sport bra.  Not sure what to do about it.  PS hasn't called me back yet.  Whippetmom, I am not a Vegas girl either, never been, no desire to go except to meet everyone.  Is there a certain time to be in Vegas on Friday?  May need to ask for time off.  I would love to do the cruise next year, except that I will be very busy at work that month.

• Cameron

Ok gals, I posted pics on the bra thread over at the pic forum. I was able to get fitted today, and my Nordie's surgical fitter was not very...thorough.  She was asking ME what I was looking for when I studied the underwire fit.  And I'm like "uhhhhhh...encapsulation???"

It's a long story to be told in detail later on my pic thread, I had to go back because I gave in and got 34D's, they weren't snug, now it's 32DD's.

I'm still not convinced on this Chantelle C-Chic so GO LOOK at my pics and help me  The chantelle bra I think is best but it is uncomfortable on my sternum? BLAH I don't know. It could be because I have swelling I suppose?

• val61

Cameron - Congrats!  Didn't check in the past couple days, so I'm answering your questions as I read.  My apologies if others have answered already!     Yes, underwire is EXCELLENT at lateral support - the absolute best IMO.  My PS never uses sports bras, but goes directly into underwire, and I'm a true believer in that process.  An underwire bra  - when correctly sized - provides beautiful encapsulation, and when the straps tightened enough, also provides adequate compression.  A sports bra isn't necessary for everyday activities.  Impact exercise is a whole other matter, though!

I'll continue my discussion after I go check out your pics on Lilah's bra thread!

Cindy - Congrats on the bra score, girl!!   All those Wacoals are great bras!  Unless you've really drunk the koolaid and are committed to wearing only unlined bras for the first 3 months, then the Halo and Rosy Outlook bras will be fine in a few weeks.     Wink

• val61

Cindy-   I'm SOOOOOOO proud.......and humbled...... Smile

Cameron - I just posted my thoughts on your bras on the pic forum.  I'm off to my monthly BC group luncheon - mostly older women, but man are they a hoot! - so will finish when I return!

• howard
    howard Member Posts: 102

Val61 and others: Are you familiar with the "Moving Comfort Juno sports bra"? Holds things very securely! Comes in specific bra sizes, not just small, med, large. Fantastic for exercise. I'm wondering if it would be good to wear post-exchange?

My exchange surgery is next Friday (whoopee!) and still not sure what to wear after exchange. Getting Gummies and PS said I don't need to wear anything special after surgical wrappings and drains come out. Seems like I should wear something and want it to be what's best.

Would love your opinion about this sports bra. Much more structured than most. Have seen at several running stores and at Nordstroms.

Www.movingcomfort.com/Juno/35002,default,pd.html

• val61

Howard - Moving Comfort bras are favorites of runners;  that's the only brand that our local running store carries.  The Juno is a great bra, but here's the problem for using it post-exchange:  it doesn't have an adjustable back.  Pulling things on over your head isn't easy, and many PS's require at least some time - several weeks for some like mine - of arm restrictions.  The Fiona is very similar, but does hook in the back.  It'd be great for impact sports.  Is that what you wanted it for?  Or were you thinking you'd wear it as an everyday bra post exchange?  That's a lot of bra to wear all day, and since it doesn't encapsulate nearly as well as an underwire.  Just my opinion....  

Oops.....just saw you're getting gummies......that's a bit different.  They seem to not require the support that regular silicone implants do, plus they don't comform to regular underwire bras very well anyway.  Lilah has a gummy and loves wireless Wacoals and Chantelles. She'll pop in here to tell you what would work for you early post- exchange, I'm sure!

• val61
    hillck - I never made it back to my computer yesterday after my BC luncheon, then a trip to Costco (thank goodness they don't carry bras, I'd never make it out of there for less than $300!), then my 'beauty extravaganza" afternoon of nails and hair, complete with highlights! (isn't it tough being a girl?) Sadly, after that, I really don't have any money to spend on bras anyway.......     So....I'll go check out your pics this afternoon and get back to you.  Off to lunch with my sweet boy home from college for the summer who FINALLY made time to fit his mom in his busy schedule!   
  • Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Yes I wore wireless Chantelles and Wacoals for the first several months post exchange.  I graduated to wired Wacoals after that because I always liked the wired bras pre-BC and just felt it was time.  The Wacoal Awareness bra (wired or unwired) is a GREAT post-exchange bra.

• Cameron

HA Val you will love this, after reading your reply to Cindy it's extra funny:

I was bra shopping yesterday and going over the rack I was like: "lining...lining... stupid freaking lining...OHHHH unlined AND 3 part cup...lining...lining...!@#$% lining. YES unlined and NON-stretchy!"

And as I walked toward the fitting room I thought to myself "wow it appears I've finally guzzled Val's kool-aid..."  LOL

Shopping is fun yet annoying when you need something specific like that, you finally find the RIGHT bra, in your size, and ANGELS sing in your head!  It's just like shoe shopping except you have to KEEP removing your shirt!

I'm going to venture online today I think!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Just want to recommend TJMaxx for flash bra sales!  It's hit or miss and you definitely need to have been fitted prior to this... but there can be some GREAT deals there.

• KellyMaryland
    KellyMaryland Member Posts: 62

Hi Val and all. I'm new to this thread.  Forgive me but I did not get through all 72 pages of this busy thread- so I may very likely be repeating a topic that's already been discussed.  I'm 5 months into my TE life, with exchange scheduled for 6/21.  My PS is one who (after the initial two weeks) says no bra necessary.  His nurse claims it's the alloderm shelf he spent time building during my 7 1/2 hour surgery that accounts for this.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  It seems that others with alloderm and extensive pocket work still are urged to wear bras, is this right?  I'm very confused and getting nervous about being in surgery again. 

Thanks very much,

Kelly

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Hi Ladies!

Just a update that I shopped online at VS today, yes - this was a first!  I went to the store, tried on a couple of bathing suits I was interested in.  The selection was verrrry sparse...so I went back home feeling confident in the size I "might" need.  So, I bought 3 suits, all halters, one Liya, Very Sexy and another halter.  MBJ, I did 3 different types of bottoms!  One of them was a string side, at your recommendation :-) One of the suits I bought was on sale for like $22 or so for both pieces!  The other two were not, but I wanted to pass along the info about the sale in case anyone had the "bug" to shop for anything...

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Hi Kelly!

I'm glad to see you around this thread :-)  E-day is approaching for you, very exciting!  I'm going to leave your inquiries for the experts around here...I take their advice and they are great!  Just to share, my experience is like this: so far in my 9 weeks or so since exchange, I was in a sports bra for a month, now I have been in wired bras since then.  My PS didn't have a real opinion on what I should wear in the future, but did say I would probably not require a wired bra, I think he meant for looking perky and all-cleavagy...and yes, I could probably get away with no wire, but I'm liking them so far...I understand your nerves about another surgery, I felt the same about exchange but after it is done, there is a sense of relief to know you have conquered what should hopefully be the last "huge" piece of the recon-puzzle...good luck!!!

• KellyMaryland
    KellyMaryland Member Posts: 62

Thanks, Megan! Glad to hear that you are happily shopping now!

• val61

Oh, Cameron....whatever would we do without your hilarious posts?Cool   If only my children listened to me like you ladies do......and don't get me started on shoes.....you don't want to know how many of THOSE I have in my closet......and the attic.....and under my bed.......   

KellyMaryland - Welcome!  Under NO circumstances should you feel compelled to read this entire thread, let alone the header! (which I desperately need to edit...just need some time).    Funny you should ask about Alloderm, as I just last week asked my PS about that very issue.  I don't have any Alloderm, but it seems most on here do.  My PS does use it when necessary, which to him is if there's adequate skin to fill the expanders at their initial placement;  then Alloderm makes it easier.  So, I asked him if Alloderm provided any more support for the implants than what I had, and he said "no."  Regardless of Alloderm presence, he has the same bra requirements post-op.  HOWEVER, that is just ONE opinion, and I guarantee you'll fine plenty PS's who will disagree.  

So.....where does that leave you?  Sounds like the ball's in your court since your PS is a "no bra" guy, so you're free to do what you want.  I certainly won't tell you what you should do - not my place despite what y'all think!   What we can do is provide you with bra info and personal accounts to help you decide what's best for you.  How's that for being all PC and everything?

Don't be too afraid of your exchange,either.  I was a total basketcase, and while it's not a walk in the park (especially if the pockets need to be revised), but it's SOOOO much better than the BMX and you actually have a present waiting for you when the bandages come off and not some foreign objects that resemble something far from human - soft, squishy foobs!   

• val61

Megan - congrats on the VS swimsuit score!   Sadly, my Freya suit didn't work - at least not the halter top - too big.  Waiting on my second one that's on backorder.    I think the VS suits are really cute, but all the tops looked like they had SOOO much space in the cleavage, and I'm afraid they'll show my scars, which run almost to the edge of the implants (remember, I was completely flat, so those scars encompassed nearly my entire chest).  I wish I could do the string bikini, but alas, I fear I've crossed the age where that's appropriate.......though I absolutely do wear bikinis......I don't spend all that time working out for nothing!