Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Okay.......I will try to answer as many questions as I can, but please forgive me if I miss someone....it's rather late and I've been moving at the speed of light all day......

Cindy - I have a few Soma Vanishing Edge panties and I do like them.  I'm pretty much a Hanky Panky thong girl, but certain garments definitely require a full panty (knicker...lol), and those really do work.  I have even worn them under my tight workout pants, and they really are pretty darn invisible.  I personally like the bikini or the high-cut, as there's less to show, but I also have one pair of bikinis that I like just fine.  Their sizing has changed - for the better, probably - but the smalls are still a bit big on me.  So, if you're on the smaller side like me, just know that.  They don't come XS.  

BRCA - Welcome!  Bless you for going through all of this - you are tough!  My first question is What's up with your PS that you have that much time between appointments right after exchange?  That just seems crazy to me.  My PS saw me at least every 2-3 weeks for several months......and I'm STILL seeing him!  That being said, you need some bra help, my dear.  With a 32 ribcage, you should try wearing a 34 band - absolutely no bigger than 36.  As for the cup size, the best way to decide is with this measurement:  measure from the center of your cleavage (which may or may not actually touch an implant), then go up and over the implant, ending at the outer edge of the implant.  You can PM me that number, and I'll help you figure out a cup size.  As for your theory on the sports bra flattening your implants, it's possible, but rather unlikely.  The implants will fill the space that the TEs made, but they really don't change shape, as such.  Your HPs are significantly less flat across than the moderate profiles - and they're what I have.  All of us without nipple/aerola compexes are flatter across, but most of us can still find bras that fit - though the unlined ones may have a bit of extra space in the center cup where the nips would be.  It's just part of the deal......Undecided  Let's work on finding you something to work!

supersally - Hey, fellow North Texan!  I actually live on the west side of the metroplex (Fort Worth), so my initial fitting was at North East Mall in Hurst with a fantastic fitter named Marcia.  I honestly haven't been back because they don't carry my size, so I don't know if she's still there.  I would seriously consider going to the Intimacy Boutique at NorthPark, though.  I haven't been there - but intend to soon - but I've heard great things about them corporately.  Perhaps we can arrange a field trip........Wink.....I'm totally serious!    As for size, I'd guess you to be a 32DD or 34D.  In my opinion, you're fine to get fitted now - though some would disagree.  A lot depends on the type of TE used, type of implant, etc.  

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

OMG!  How did I miss that it was your birthday, Val!!??  Happy 50th and I am glad you are enjoying time with family and friends. Hugs!

• brca1953
    brca1953 Member Posts: 15

Val61, thanks for the reply.  I really like my PS it is just that after my BMX my company decided to relocate me 500 miles away.  I was able to stay close by thru the TE period but then had to move.  I went back for the exchange because I do like him and worked hard finding a PS and I did not want to go thru that again.  My family Dr. here has checked me out and consulted with PS as needed.  I'm conflicted about nipple reconstruction because I am sick of surgeries at the moment.  My cup size measurement you described is about 9 1/2 inches.  My ribcage is 32, bust 38 and above the bust & under armpits is between 36 1/2 to 37.  I had hoped to be a C cup but I feel like I look good as a B so I'm fine with my measurements.  I'm just looking forward to not being smashed!  If you have any suggestions based on my measurements I'd love to hear them!

Thanks, Jo

• redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80
    Hello ladies, I just wanted to check in as I am now six weeks out from my exchange surgery.  I have put a few pictures up of my bras on the "Post your Bras' thread on the photo forum.  Let me know what you think. I see my PS for my follow-up visit this week and want to ask some good questions. I think our main discussion will be nipple reconstruction slated for later this fall. We are not doing FG. I am pretty happy with the symmetry although we had to use two different implant styles to achieve the results. I'll see what my PS says!

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

Hey Red!  You are looking awesome. I liked all your bras.  Glad to hear you a happy with the symmetry.  I will have to do a little FG to get some symmetry.  I sure hope it works.  Looking at the end of first week in October for possible fipple/FG date. 

Thanks for posting your bras.  So many bras and too little time to shop!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Val61 - Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!. Glad you had a great celebration.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Redsky your bras look great!  Wahoo!  Hope the PS gives the underwire his approval :)

• redskyatnight

Happy belated birthday, Val! 

Westie, Thanks! You have some beautiful bras there and you look terrific. I bet you are enjoying them! Keep us posted on your upcoming nipple recon. and FG date. 

Lilah,Thanks! It sure is fun to begin wearing some pretty bras- I'm 'hooked'. 

• Lilah

Redsky -- I must say prior to BC I wore plain bras -- Tshirt type -- because I was so large I just wanted to make them disappear.  Now I am enjoying wearing bras that say: look at me!

• redskyatnight

Lilah, I did too- although I wore padded t-shirt bras as I had no size - after nursing my kids and being a runner for many years, I hardly had anything left! Now it's dramatically different and it's fun to bra shop and 'dress them up'. I saw my PS today and we are now planning nipple reconstruction for the end of October. Yay!

• redskyatnight

My PS prefers a soft moulded cup bra to an underwire bra for tissue necrosis concerns. He says if you have any numbness surrounding the implants and you have a wire putting pressure and rubbing on it for a period of time, your are then down to the implant and tissue necrosis occurs-yuck! I sure don't want that happening. I will stick with soft bras for evey day and wear the lovely underwires 'on occasion' for the time being.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

redsky - I agree with hillck on the underwire issue ... I'd like to know of documented cases of tissue necrosis because of a tight fitting underwire. Sounds really extreme to me.

Clearly the man has never worn a bra!  ;)

Totally understand, though, wanting to follow your PS's instructions ....

• redskyatnight

I think my PS is advising me for where I am now in the early stages (I am 6 weeks out of surgery) while I heal and allow the nerves/tissue to regenerate. I'm sure he wants to protect all of the work that he did and probably is conservative about this.  

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642

Red: Thanks for explaining that. Do you have IMF incisions? Having had necrosis I get the circulation concern. The numbness stays a long time though! Did he say how long to wait for underwire? PS I saw your pics on the forum, didn't comment there yet but g-friend, you could be a VS model! ;-)

• Delilahbear

I went crazy at Soma and now have quite a few new bras. Got 2 as freebies and the rest with an awsome discount for associates this weekend. I have posted them on the picture forum under the "Post your Bras". Not as spectacularly pretty as the Freyas, but price is right and I love them. I did order a gold and black Selena from the website so am waiting for it. Will post when it arrives.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I also posted my 2 year out "finished" pictures.

• MBJ

DelilahBear:  Gorgeous bras!

• redskyatnight

Thanks, Renn! I do not have IMF incisions, but I did have the IMF lowered on one side and have alloderm slings under the implants. I must say, my sensation is not all the way back in those spots. I sure don't want to compromise the IMF/implant area-  we want this area to soften more and...be prepared for my nipple reconstruction in 6 weeks!

• Lilah

Love the new bras Delilah!

Red: my PS also wanted me to avoid wired bras for awhile... and it didn't seem to hurt me at all to just wear wireless.  After 8 months though I decided it was enough and I AM loving my wired bras now :)

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

One more time.................... I'M BACK!!!!!     I had a fantastic extra long weekend with my little sis in South Carolina.......sunbathing on the beach......shopping.....talking.....eating.....drinking......eating.......and a tiny bit of running.  CoolI think I've had all the 50th birthday fun a girl should have, so now it's back to reality.......that is until the famous BCO Ta Ta Sisterhood Reunion in Vegas in a couple of weeks......and my 25th anniversary trip to Napa in October........Smile    Believe me, I NEVER travel like this, and it's making my life pretty crazy!   I'm just glad y'all are helping each other and any newbies who pop in.  Thank you!   

• hondagirl
    hondagirl Member Posts: 26

This thread is invaluable info!  I just had my exchange in June and when I went to my PS  a few weeks ago he just told me to google and see what most women do after surgery for bras.  I couldn't believe that is all he said!  Unfortunately, I only have Alloderm on one side which makes the one without sit slightly lower than the other one with the Alloderm.  I was also told not to wear underwire by the NP until my feeling came back at the fold.  I did purchase a Wacoal Awareness bra with no underwire but I still think you can tell that one is a bit different and sits slightly lower than the other one.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, did they find a bra that makes it look better in clothes. 

Thanks so much for your help!

• MBJ

Val:  Welcome back an so glad you had an amazing time!!!  Napa should be fun and I wish I was going to meet you in Vegas!

• Delilahbear

hondagirl - I had alloderm in rt side after implant bottomed out due to muscle tearing and the left was lower. I wore my mastectomy wireless bras and had no real problems. Unfortunately I had to have alloderm placed in the lft. side 6 months later and that evened them out. PS lowered IMF to have symmetry. I now wear mostly underwired bras as don't feel as supported without wires. Of course I have rather large implants to support so wires help. Hope this info helps.

• Estel

val61- Welcome back!  Kiss  I believe in birthday months ... so party on!  Laughing

hondagirl - Welcome!  Glad to know your PS was so helpful!  Tongue out  Frown

I know some gals loosen the strap on the side that needs to drop a little (for different reasons) ... but maybe that would help?  You may want to try a padded or a push-up bra which could help with the unevenness.  Where are your scars?  If they're not in the IMF (under your breasts) you probably could get away with an underwire.  I was in an underwire 2 months post-exchange ... others were in an underwire right after.  However, if you have an IMF incision ... it's not ususally that quick.  Blessings to you!  

Edited to add:  I have no idea why the funky format ... it doesn't look like that when I'm typing it!  It's frustrating to try and read ... I know!  My computer's days are limited ... having really weird computer issues ... but again, sorry for the obnoxious formatting!   

• redskyatnight
    I got a gorgeous bra in the mail last night from ebay UK. It's a Freya Arabella (in black mesh with fuschia bows and peach embroidery) and it is the most comfortable underwire I have ever put on! Too bad I am not supposed to wear these right now. If anyone finds the matching panties let me know- I think this color is no longer available. DH is not worried for me as he says I won't have it  on very long (probably tmi)

• hondagirl

Delilahbear,

My PS said that he could either go back at 6 months to a year and replace Alloderm on my left or go in on the opposite side and score the alloderm to make it drop more and match it.  I am not sure which one would be less painful.  Did you think when they put in the Alloderm after exchange it was as painful as the initial mastectomy/reconstruction piece?  I am bummed he didn't just put the alloderm back in at the time of exchange.  I don't really feel like the one with alloderm has dropped at all since surgery 2 months ago. 

Did those of you with alloderm drop/soften significantly in the first 2 months?

• Lilah

Redsky -- look for them on Ebay.  Wahoo on your first Freya!  That one sounds pretty.  I think a photo on my bra thread is in order :)

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158

Val - Happy Birthday!!!  I somehow missed that it was your birthday, too.  I'd love to do a field trip to Intimacy at North Park.  I found them when I was looking on line and the stuff looks unbelievable!  I'm going to schedule a bra fitting at Nordies Galleria in the mean time. 

The fat grafting looks good.  I still have a divot on the right side.  PS told me to massage them several times a day, pushing them in every direction.  I think to help them settle in the pocket.  I see him again next Tuesday.  He also says not to wear underwire, for at least three months.  That should put me right about holiday time :)  I also saw the BS yesterday, she said I have a good result.  See the MO today.  Fun, fun.  Between all the docs and my DSD's 16th bday yesterday it has been crazy here!!! 

• hondagirl

OK so I am fairly new to this site and I am trying to figure out the post picture thing.  Is there a seperate forum where you post pics or is this something specific to each thread. 

Thanks for the help!

• Estel

hondagirl - PM Lilah regarding the picture forum, she'll help you.

redsky - The Arabella is a very pretty bra!  I agree with Lilah on searching e-bay for the patching knickers ... also search for them on barenecessities and herroom.  Some of the colors of Arabella you can still find on those sites ... although they'll be cheaper on ebay!  Laughing 

• Delilahbear

hondagirl - I never had alloderm at initial surgery. My PS hates to use the stuff and uses it when it is the only way to solve a problem like the split muscles at the bottom and side of pocket that I had.

The alloderm is pretty softened now, but one is a year out and the other 5 months. My PS had the opportunity to observe how the alloderm has integrated with my muscle/skin as he had to replace my right implant 7 months after he did the alloderm reinforcement of the pocket. I have saline and they think that a surgical knot from the alloderm sling wore a small hole in the implant and started a small leak. He said he could still tell where the alloderm had been placed, but everything looked really good. I am now just a little over a year past the alloderm reconstruction on the right breast and while it still has some issues (comfort wise) everything is 99% better than before he did the recon.